Image ImageImage Image

Lauri Markkanen - The Finnisher Edition -upd p92 Debut Tonight!

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Just_Bullz
Veteran
And1: 629

Re: Lauri Markkanen - The Markksman Edition #3 

Post#161 » by Just_Bullz » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:46 am

wonderboy2 wrote:Man this kid is averaging 14 points and 8 rebounds as rookie, he will be ok. People on here was saying that he would be a bust during the summer. He still learning the league. What everybody should be most encouraged about is that the kid can rebound and is pretty good defensively as a rookie and is not soft. These are things that people considered a weakness. Markannan just needs to continue to had strength, work on his mid post and low post game and continue to work on those handles. If he does all of the above he will be a multiple allstar.

Exactly, I do feel sometimes we bulls fans take it too harsh on rookies. We haven't had a good rookie like Lauri since Rose or Noah?

Assume Lauri avg 14/8 this season and had a 20% improvement in his second season, that's a 17/10 stats for a big that can shoot the 3.

I will take it all day long.
GrowingHorns
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#162 » by GrowingHorns » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:48 am

I know it's different usernames and so on, but in few weeks from general tone of "Future HOF'er/Allstar" to "Meh, might be something but maybe at best minimum level starter", from few bad games... This is kah-razy. But fans have so little, so this speculating and jumping to fast thoughts about his future are maybe the few things keeping fans not going kah-razy. We need to speculate to survive. :D
Louri
Senior
And1: 351

Post#163 » by Louri » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:10 am

I would love to see games like he one he played against Lakers. He shot 4-17 but was really active and did try many new things. He did drive, shoot mid range, post up, shoot 3s. That is what I want to see from him now, 'cause that is what he has to do to take it to next level. He can't be just a passive spot up shooter in Bulls where guards or team set plays don't help him. He just have to improve to be go to guy instead of role player that jacks up 3s whenever he is a bit open. NBA is about isolation. Lauri is not used to be isolation guy, but a team player. It's not his game yet, to make his own shots, but now is good change to practice it in games. Seems that he lost some confidence to try those new things during shooting slump. It's up to team to get him involved in offense and make it easy for him as a rookie. But they don't. Next game against Suns is excellent bounce back tho.
"Larry Nance Jr is better than Lauri Markkanen" -RealGM 2021
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#164 » by Stratmaster » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:37 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:
Rerisen wrote:

You just proved my point. 100s of players had rookie statlines as good as Dirk, virtually none ( none) became Dirk.

But of course that is the nature of hope and hype of one's own players, to think matching one outlier superstar (through 17 games being especially egregious) somehow makes the most sense, instead of the 100s of other players who put up similar lines, but failed to reach anything close to that.

That's right, which is why it's not fair to judge a player on a week to week basis, as his efficiency drops up and goes up. He is far from a finished product, and considering how horrendous the players around him are, there is only so much he can put on his shoulders as a rookie. Hell, even Dirk had plenty more talent around him as a rookie, and he still struggled a lot.

I think it's not unfair to say that he won't become a once in a life time player like LeBron, but I think he could become a perennial All-Star in this league if he continues to work on his game and improve season by season. It's going to be a long road, and I'll be rooting for him as long as he is with the Bulls. Right now, he is the only hope.

It's only fair if it supports a poster's position. If it supports someone else's then it is too small a sample. :)
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#165 » by erlim » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:30 am

Lauri's play has bothered me the last couple games, and I'm not sure if it's a nagging injury or if it's just a horrible feature of Fred Hoiberg's system.

In broad terms, Lauri looks like a passive version of Niko, getting rebounds and waiting to catch and shoot at the three. Earlier in the season, Lauri proved he had speed, strength, and agility that Niko will never possess. His first step and altheticism moving towards the basket allowed him to fight up and finish shots than Niko could never dream of, and he had enough physicality to take contact without blowing over like a dainty child. He could also post smaller guys. Niko is horrid around any physical push back. Nightmares of Niko making an embarrassing clown of himself as he tried and failed miserably to post players that were a foot shorter than him.

Lauri might be leading Rookies in threes, but that's all he's taking, and he's doing it as a safety valve option to the horrid dribble penetration of Grant, Dunn, Valentine, Holiday, etc. Its really awful to watch.

We lineup four guys on the perimeter, watch Grant or Holiday pound the ball 16 million times, eat shot clock, and dribble pitch to Lauri to try and help them reset, but really just get in a situation where Lauri has two defenders hovering around him at the three ball distance.

It seems like instead of being an offensive guru who just needs the right (three point capable) personnel, idiot Fred just goes to the same system, replacing elite ball dominant guys like Jimmy, Wade, and Rose before that with guys like Jerian Grant and Justin Holiday. That makes me physically ill. In this system, it seems like he's basically relegated Lauri to a McDermot/Snell role. And while Lauri is a better catch and shooter than those two...it's not a strong utilization of him, nor is it good for his development.

I dunno, there were reports last year that opposing players laughed at how predictable our offense was with Jimmy and Wade, I can't imagine what people think of it now where Grant and Holiday hold the ball the majority of the time. I mean, I don't want Lauri to become some gonzo hero-baller like how Niko plays, but I'm beginning to think Fred's system is poisoning the young man. He seems like a historically inept coach. Even Skiles drive and kick offense seemed leagues more effective. Who knows though, maybe Lauri's ankle is just sore.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#166 » by ZOMG » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:36 am

If I had to choose ONE thing for Lauri to do now to change his course... make/let him work in the high post, facing the hoop. He can get his jumper off from there, play high-low with Lopez, pass the ball to shooters in the corners or use his first step for short drives without having to beat his man by dribbling all the way from the perimeter (or worse, backing him in from there).

Lopez is usually the designated high post man, but he’s so limited there it makes my head hurt. It’s either the jump shot or the linedrive push shot.

One thing’s for sure — the floating on the three point line must stop. It’s playing straight to the other team’s hands.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Post#167 » by DASMACKDOWN » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:50 am

This should be the unmarkksman edition because he is in a serious slump
The Cult of Personality
umfan83
RealGM
And1: 3,265

Post#168 » by umfan83 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:32 am

If I’m doing the math correct, Lauri is now under 40% FG% for the season
RealGM Bulls Board veteran of the following failed epic battles:
-Kobe (2008)
-Amare (2009)
-Bosh (2010 trade deadline and FA)
-LeBron (2010)
-Wade (2010)
-Melo (2014)
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,262

Post#169 » by kodo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:22 am

umfan83 wrote:If I’m doing the math correct, Lauri is now under 40% FG% for the season

The majority of his shots are 3s so that's not surprising.

Tonight 11 of 15 shot attempts were 3s? Seems like a problem, especially given how well he played inside the 3 point line at Eurobasket.
Just_Bullz
Veteran

Post#170 » by Just_Bullz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:45 am

The rookie wall is here. Could be the tough schedule or the pace of the NBA getting into him.
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#171 » by MC3 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:59 am

kodo wrote:
umfan83 wrote:If I’m doing the math correct, Lauri is now under 40% FG% for the season

Tonight 11 of 15 shot attempts were 3s? Seems like a problem, especially given how well he played inside the 3 point line at Eurobasket.

His shot selection is atrocious. But Bulls use him that way :nonono: As floor spacer instead scorer. He takes basically 75% of his shots behind 3pt line. Why? That's to me is not coaching.
Just_Bullz
Veteran

Post#172 » by Just_Bullz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:03 am

MC3 wrote:
kodo wrote:

His shot selection is atrocious. But Bulls use him that way :nonono: As floor spacer instead scorer. He takes basically 75% of his shots behind 3pt line. Why? That's to me is not coaching.

My biggest fear is coaches decided to use him as a spot up shooter which he is more than that. He has shown to have an arsenal of moves to get buckets instead of being a Channing Frye.
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#173 » by Stratmaster » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:10 am

Just_Bullz wrote:
MC3 wrote:
kodo wrote:

My biggest fear is coaches decided to use him as a spot up shooter which he is more than that. He has shown to have an arsenal of moves to get buckets instead of being a Channing Frye.

I'm a huge fan of Lauri and the pick since day 1. Still, it isn't "the Bulls", it is Lauri. He has lost some of the aggressiveness. There was one egregious example tonight where he caught a pass on the move in the lane heading to the basket with only one defender in the lane. He awkwardly stopped and passed to (IIRC) Val in the corner, who immediately got trapped as 4 of the defenders were on the perimeter. A 7' player, with a full head of steam toward the basket, mid-lane, one-on-one, with no help defense in sight. That has to be a dunk attempt. I don't care if he makes it, or just draws the foul...or even if he gets called for a charge...you can't be scared in that situation, and he looked scared. Skeered even.
GrowingHorns
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#174 » by GrowingHorns » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:28 am

Stratmaster wrote:I'm a huge fan of Lauri and the pick since day 1. Still, it isn't "the Bulls", it is Lauri. He has lost some of the aggressiveness. There was one egregious example tonight where he caught a pass on the move in the lane heading to the basket with only one defender in the lane. He awkwardly stopped and passed to (IIRC) Val in the corner, who immediately got trapped as 4 of the defenders were on the perimeter. A 7' player, with a full head of steam toward the basket, mid-lane, one-on-one, with no help defense in sight. That has to be a dunk attempt. I don't care if he makes it, or just draws the foul...or even if he gets called for a charge...you can't be scared in that situation, and he looked scared. Skeered even.

That was the moment I yelled "Get angry already!" I don't know what is this. ten games ago he wouldn't have hesitated. Something sore (back or legs), or mental slump with low shooting games lately? GET ANGRY, LAURI!
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#175 » by Stratmaster » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:43 am

GrowingHorns wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:I'm a huge fan of Lauri and the pick since day 1. Still, it isn't "the Bulls", it is Lauri. He has lost some of the aggressiveness. There was one egregious example tonight where he caught a pass on the move in the lane heading to the basket with only one defender in the lane. He awkwardly stopped and passed to (IIRC) Val in the corner, who immediately got trapped as 4 of the defenders were on the perimeter. A 7' player, with a full head of steam toward the basket, mid-lane, one-on-one, with no help defense in sight. That has to be a dunk attempt. I don't care if he makes it, or just draws the foul...or even if he gets called for a charge...you can't be scared in that situation, and he looked scared. Skeered even.

That was the moment I yelled "Get angry already!" I don't know what is this. ten games ago he wouldn't have hesitated. Something sore (back or legs), or mental slump with low shooting games lately? GET ANGRY, LAURI!

There could be something going on with being sore. The Bulls had a real slow start on the schedule this season and just recently had the west Coast trip and a couple back to backs. I do believe there is a rookie stamina wall for all but the extreme physical specimens when they come out of college. I really do think when Lavine and Niko get back and take on their normal share of the scoring load it will take some of the pressure off Lauri.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#176 » by ZOMG » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:35 am

Well now.

We've arrived to the point where I'd rather see Kris Dunn take a three than Lauri. Bizarro world.

But I saw all this coming. I told you about his propensity for slumps: I told you about his habit of trying to shoot himself out of them. People said I was overreacting, that "hey, everyone has a slump now and then".

The coaches need to stop this. Not by benching Lauri, that would only destroy what's left of his confidence at this very early stage of his career. They'd probably create a Niko Part 2.

A conscious effort is needed to involve Lauri in the offense. Not "more shots" but touches in spots where he can use his talents. I know some of this is on him - he needs to improve his off-the-ball movement a lot. But sometimes a young player needs a nudge in the right direction. I believe Lauri could use that right now. Currently he's just fending for himself against set defenses that don't even respect his shot anymore, which doesn't work.

What I don't want to see is any more games like this latest Phoenix game. There's so much talent inside Lauri, we just need to get it out.

(Oh yeah, forgot to add: I don't believe the talk about him being sore of whatnot. He wouldn't be playing the minutes he does if he was hurting. No freaking way.)
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,350

Post#177 » by Nuntius » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:35 am

I checked your playtype numbers on and I saw that Lauri is averaging over double the amount of possessions as a spot up shooter than as the roll man on the PnR.

Here are your spot up numbers -> https://stats.nba.com/players/spot-up/?CF=TeamNameAbbreviation*E*CHI&sort=PossG&dir=1

Here are your PnR numbers -> https://stats.nba.com/players/roll-man/?CF=TeamNameAbbreviation*E*CHI&sort=PossG&dir=1

Lauri is currently averaging 4.8 spot ups per game and 2.1 PnRs per game. Bobby Portis is in an even worse situation. He is averaging 4.4 spot ups per game and 1.3 PnRs per game.

This isn't the right way to utilize Markkanen, imo. And before someone says that they don't want Markkanen rolling to the hoop, I have to say that the PnR stats on stats.nba.com also encompass Pick and Pop attempts. I'm positive that they do because Myles Turner is currently averaging 5.7 PnRs per game according to NBA.com (https://stats.nba.com/players/roll-man/?CF=TeamNameAbbreviation*E*IND&sort=PossG&dir=1) despite the fact that he mostly Pops for a jumper.

I don't know if you're not running a lot of PnR due to lack of personnel or if this is just your offensive system. The fact that you average so many spot ups per game indicates that you do have guards that can penetrate and dish it out. If that's the case then you should really consider having them run more PnR and involving Lauri (and Portis, too) in those PnRs. It's the easiest way to get a young big going. Just run some PnR with him.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Dankoz
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#178 » by Dankoz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:30 am

Lauri still has only one game under 10 pts so is there really any issue? People calling it slump, but he still plays way better than last year ROY.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,350

Post#179 » by Nuntius » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:44 am

Dankoz wrote:Lauri still has only one game under 10 pts so is there really any issue? People calling it slump, but he still plays way better than last year ROY.

Two actually. He also had 6 points against the Spurs but he only played 15 minutes in the game so that could be due to injury. I didn't watch the game as I don't follow the Bulls closely (they often play at the same time that my Pacers are playing and I cannot watch two games at the same time) but I'm sure that the Bulls fans here know what happened in that game. It doesn't really change your post in any way.

Look, Lauri is a scorer. He will find a way to put the ball in the hoop even if his shot is off. And yes, he will definitely try to shoot his way off a shooting slump. Lauri posesses a quality that some of the game's best scorers also possess. He isn't going to let missed shots bother him. Some players doubt themselves and defer when they're not shooting it well. Lauri doesn't. He will keep shooting. He won't second-guess or doubt himself.

He isn't an irrational confidence guy like JR Smith or Lance Stephenson. He won't take shots that he know he cannot make and he won't try to get too fancy with his dribbling or passing. But when it comes to things he knows that he can do (like hit 3s) then he has no conscience. So, he will definitely have more nights like last night where he takes 11 3s but only makes 3 of them.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing but it isn't necessarily a good thing either. It's just a reality. It's up to the Bulls to involve him in more Pick and Pops and have him get going closer to the basket.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#180 » by sco » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:32 pm

I'm not worried about Lauri. He's either still feeling the effects of the flu or is dealing with a minor injury. The guy out there the past few games isn't a 100% healthy Lauri. He'll bounce back.
:clap:

Return to Chicago Bulls