Image ImageImage Image

The Mirotic thread: New Niko or March come early? Merged

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

The Mirotic thread: New Niko or March come early? Merged 

Post#1 » by madvillian » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:15 pm

Discuss his play here with or without trade and future context. I do wish it was March already (man it's already been a long winter) but he has shown some signs of improvement.

I'm surprised how good he looks after the long layoff. He looks more polished in all aspects of his game. Maybe he's not going to be the 20-22 ppg stretch four we all envisioned but there's plenty of use for Mirotic in Chicago and around the league.

I think you can tell he worked hard on his body this year. He's shed the baby fat (Val, take notes) and as the Celtics crew said last night he "bodied up Smart" and that's not that easy to do in the post.

His shooting motion looks a little more fluid to me although it could just be that he's swishing so many. If nothing else he seems to be realizing that he doesn't have to take a 24 ft three even if he's "open" and can play more within the flow of the offense.

Defensively I thought he looked great last night. He's not a leaper but he's quick laterally for a big man and his added strength and stamina is helping him mostly on that end.

What sort of offers do people want to see him gone for? I'm asking for a top 20 pick. If the move is there make it. I could probably be talked into a late 1st if the tank isn't going so well and Niko is part of that.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Lauri_Legend
Analyst
And1: 1,666

Re: The Mirotic thread: New Niko or March come early? 

Post#2 » by Lauri_Legend » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:22 pm

This is the new Niko. He skipped his national team commitment to put in extra work into his game. I don't believe in coincidences. Dude worked hard and it's paying off. I won't get ahead of myself too much, he's still a 15ppg caliber player, but he'll be way more efficient and consistent.
Admin of DieHardChicagoBullsFans: https://www.facebook.com/DieHardChicagoBullsFans
madvillian
RealGM

Post#3 » by madvillian » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:46 pm

Lauri_Legend wrote:This is the new Niko. He skipped his national team commitment to put in extra work into his game. I don't believe in coincidences. Dude worked hard and it's paying off. I won't get ahead of myself too much, he's still a 15ppg caliber player, but he'll be way more efficient and consistent.

Yea good point. He seems dedicated to his pro career now. Maybe it helped settling into the US with his family and let him focus 100% on basketball this offseason.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,073

Post#4 » by MrSparkle » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:48 pm

Lauri_Legend wrote:This is the new Niko. He skipped his national team commitment to put in extra work into his game. I don't believe in coincidences. Dude worked hard and it's paying off. I won't get ahead of myself too much, he's still a 15ppg caliber player, but he'll be way more efficient and consistent.

Agreed. Thought the FIBA games were a disaster for him. He wasn't playing a solid/defined role on the Spanish team, and he kept coming into the NBA season looking like he hadn't hit the weight room.

The past 3 games, he looks very confident in the post. Standing his ground, just looks like a tough player all around... and his speed is the same, but he has more pep in his step (conditioning).

IMO strength/conditioning was the top priority for him to improve. Prior years he was pushed around like a pasta noodle. I imagine he saw J. Noah's post 2013/14 workout routine and got inspired (to not work out). This Niko right here is a solid NBA player and possibly not worth throwing away for a Cameron Payne (assuming that's Gar's idea of a desperate return).
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,153

Post#5 » by League Circles » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:55 pm

new Niko. I've been looking forward to good play from him. Always thought it was a very solid chance of coming to fruition. Hopefully he can continue.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
madvillian
RealGM

Post#6 » by madvillian » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:55 pm

MrSparkle wrote:

Agreed. Thought the FIBA games were a disaster for him. He wasn't playing a solid/defined role on the Spanish team, and he kept coming into the NBA season looking like he hadn't hit the weight room.

The past 3 games, he looks very confident in the post. Standing his ground, just looks like a tough player all around... and his speed is the same, but he has more pep in his step (conditioning).

IMO strength/conditioning was the top priority for him to improve. Prior years he was pushed around like a pasta noodle. I imagine he saw J. Noah's post 2013/14 workout routine and got inspired (to not work out). This Niko right here is a solid NBA player and possibly not worth throwing away for a Cameron Payne (assuming that's Gar's idea of a desperate return).

Yea I think conditioning was his main problem. He looked winded when he tried to play both ways. And to his credit he really does hustle on defense. He was moving his feet big time last night. I remember one time I think it was Rozier tried to iso and drive after Mirotic switched on him up top and Mirotic managed to stay in front of him and force him into a tough 17 ft jumper.

Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,581

Post#7 » by Ice Man » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:01 pm

The thesis of new Niko seems as like to be true as was the thesis of "the real Derrick is back."
madvillian
RealGM

Post#8 » by madvillian » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:07 pm

Ice Man wrote:The thesis of new Niko seems as like to be true as was the thesis of "the real Derrick is back."

I dunno about that. Hard to compare a guy settling into a new country, putting in a lot of time on his body in the offseason and perhaps coming into his own a little later than expected with a guy coming off a series of major knee surgeries and not playing basketball for basically two years.

rowseyna
Veteran
And1: 864

Post#9 » by rowseyna » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:08 pm

New Niko. I have no trouble envisioning him putting up good numbers the rest of the year:

20-24 MPG, ~48% FG, 40+% 3P, ~80% FT, ~5 RPG, ~1 APG, ~1 SPG, ~1 BPG, ~16 PPG
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#10 » by Ice Man » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:11 pm

madvillian wrote:I dunno about that.

OK then, the MCW, who was the key to our team for his first 3 games of last year, which we won. You've been here a long time, you know how these narratives go. They don't often prove to be true.
madvillian
RealGM

Post#11 » by madvillian » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:16 pm

Ice Man wrote:
madvillian wrote:I dunno about that.

OK then, the MCW, who was the key to our team for his first 3 games of last year, which we won. You've been here a long time, you know how these narratives go. They don't often prove to be true.

Oh for sure, but it's fun to talk about and I don't think anybody can argue that physically, he isn't improved. How well that will translate on the floor over a season is anybody's guess but kudos to the guy for working hard.

Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,232

Post#12 » by Dan Z » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:20 pm

I'd need to see more before I can properly judge. If The Bulls do trade him what teams need a PF?
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#13 » by Ice Man » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:27 pm

madvillian wrote:Oh for sure, but it's fun to talk about and I don't think anybody can argue that physically, he isn't improved. How well that will translate on the floor over a season is anybody's guess but kudos to the guy for working hard.

I'd love to see him crush it this year, don't get me wrong.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,774

Post#14 » by NZB2323 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:30 pm

It's a 3 game sample size. We've seen stretches where Niko looks fantastic for 3 games before.

In the first 3 games of 2016 he averaged 20 ppg, 8 rpg, 2 steals per game while shooting over 50% FG, 50% from 3, shooting 4.6 free throws per game, making 4.3 of them.
GDRO10
Junior
And1: 140

Post#15 » by GDRO10 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:43 pm

Given how incosistent Niko has been in the past 2 years, i think we have to wait before calling this a breakout season for him. But he indeed looks stronger and improved in the post. The question here is, if he continues his strong play do you trade him while he has value or do you keep him thinking he's a good player for you moving forward?
Better believe it: Ryan Arcidiacono is the point guard of the future.
Warren G
Junior
And1: 445

Post#16 » by Warren G » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:51 pm

Niko has never been this swagged out before. It's an entirely new animal we're dealing with.

He's **** on the best defense in the NBA and then referring to himself in the third person afterwards.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#17 » by FriedRise » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:55 pm

New Niko. The old Niko would've pump-faked a lot more times and wouldn't have been able to take advantage of a smaller Marcus Smart in the post. One game sample size.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#18 » by Red Larrivee » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:24 pm

I don't see how we can say this is the new Mirotic based on a 3 game sample size of unsustainable shooting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,386

Post#19 » by Hangtime84 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:38 pm

I believe in Niko but i feel like another team will benefit from him. :(
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#20 » by Mech Engineer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:46 pm

We have seen 3 years of Niko...that's enough of a sample size. And, we have seen his problems. The last thing the Bulls need is to get enamored with Niko's game. And, it is not like Popovich is coaching the Bulls either to utilize him/mentor him. The Bulls have to accept their reality of what they are doing and how uphill the climb is for them to get back to even as an average level team.

It is not like Niko is a mentor to Lauri either. He is going to suck minutes from him/he has had his own issues with professional attitude and obviously going to look out for himself/stats.

Return to Chicago Bulls