Image ImageImage Image

Kris Dunn thread 2.0

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Re: Kris Dunn thread 2.0 

Post#421 » by Mech Engineer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:15 pm

Chi town wrote:
Mech Engineer wrote:The thing about anyone who is not a #1 option is they need to play off-ball. That is the big problem with Dunn long term. This distributor PG as the primary concept of PG play does not work anymore. Even CP3 with all his wizardry is sometimes standing on the 3 pt line or waiting somewhere to shoot/secondary ball-handle if Harden decides to pass.

I think Dunn can sit in the corner and hit 3s at a respectable rate. He has several times when Lavine has taken the ball over.

I also think his defense and energy helps his overall game and on court value.

You can't depend on a Corner 3. Those get cut off very fast and you have to be dead-eye shooters to shoot those especially in crunch time.

His defense/energy is fine and it helps but that screams backup not a long term starter on a contender. Isn't that the goal and the pieces you are building with should satisfy that criteria. It is not about whether they can play in the NBA or useful in a rotation etc..which he is.

With Lauri or the new player they draft looking to be the 1st option on offense, it is all about giving the ball to them and clear out. Can Dunn do that?

Is the goal to make Lauri and other draft pick to stand at the 3 pt line while Dunn dribbles for 20 sec to get a shot off or pass to them?
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#422 » by Chi town » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:49 pm

Mech Engineer wrote:
Chi town wrote:
Mech Engineer wrote:The thing about anyone who is not a #1 option is they need to play off-ball. That is the big problem with Dunn long term. This distributor PG as the primary concept of PG play does not work anymore. Even CP3 with all his wizardry is sometimes standing on the 3 pt line or waiting somewhere to shoot/secondary ball-handle if Harden decides to pass.

I think Dunn can sit in the corner and hit 3s at a respectable rate. He has several times when Lavine has taken the ball over.

I also think his defense and energy helps his overall game and on court value.

You can't depend on a Corner 3. Those get cut off very fast and you have to be dead-eye shooters to shoot those especially in crunch time.

His defense/energy is fine and it helps but that screams backup not a long term starter on a contender. Isn't that the goal and the pieces you are building with should satisfy that criteria. It is not about whether they can play in the NBA or useful in a rotation etc..which he is.

With Lauri or the new player they draft looking to be the 1st option on offense, it is all about giving the ball to them and clear out. Can Dunn do that?

Is the goal to make Lauri and other draft pick to stand at the 3 pt line while Dunn dribbles for 20 sec to get a shot off or pass to them?

What? Corner 3 is the best shot in the game.

Of course Dunn can clear out. Anyone can. Problem is Lavine and Lauri haven't been able to do anything when everyone clears out. Lauri can't get around anyone with his dribble unless the ball is swinging and Lavine has been up and down and is struggling at finishing or making shots.

No one in this draft except for Ayton will be able to get their own shot like you are talking. Maybe Young but it will be lots of tough 3's.

Ideally, Lauri refines his dribble and strengthens his post game so we can dump it into him when we need buckets. Lavine should eventually return to pre acl form and that will help too.

I'm not a fan of continual Dunn PnR offense. I'm ok in spots but not our entire offense.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#423 » by Rerisen » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:56 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:I mean on-ball guard. There's no such thing as 4th option Kris Dunn. Not his game (because he can't play off-ball).

He can and should tone down bad shots, and seems to be helping him lately doing that a little, but generally yes, Kris Dunn either needs to get way better, or he's just not gonna work here.

I don't see him changing his style, if he becomes a 3rd or 4th option, well that's not a good player, because as you say, not good off ball, and doesn't provide spacing.

I can't see a real good team where say Lauri is averaging 18 a game, Lavine 20 PPG and Dunn only like 12. If he's that down the chain, he won't be providing assists either.
Mech Engineer
RealGM

Post#424 » by Mech Engineer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:01 pm

Chi town wrote:
What? Corner 3 is the best shot in the game.

Of course Dunn can clear out. Anyone can. Problem is Lavine and Lauri haven't been able to do anything when everyone clears out. Lauri can't get around anyone with his dribble unless the ball is swinging and Lavine has been up and down and is struggling at finishing or making shots.

No one in this draft except for Ayton will be able to get their own shot like you are talking. Maybe Young but it will be lots of tough 3's.

Ideally, Lauri refines his dribble and strengthens his post game so we can dump it into him when we need buckets. Lavine should eventually return to pre acl form and that will help too.

I'm not a fan of continual Dunn PnR offense. I'm ok in spots but not our entire offense.

Watch and look at games. It is rare you get a easy open Corner 3. It might be the best shot but to get the ball there on offense and have a guy just standing there is not an easy task. For ex: Taj can hit the Corner 3 but he can't be there just to space the offense. It looks great when it works but not easy to setup.

The bottom line is Dunn needs to be a off-ball thread from most places on the court. We can analyze all we want but if he is not that, he will have to dominate the ball, become the main offensive option with others catering to his decisions. That is just not going to work with the type of skills he seems to have on offense.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#425 » by Chi town » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:05 pm

Rerisen wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:I mean on-ball guard. There's no such thing as 4th option Kris Dunn. Not his game (because he can't play off-ball).

He can and should tone down bad shots, and seems to be helping him lately doing that a little, but generally yes, Kris Dunn either needs to get way better, or he's just not gonna work here.

I don't see him changing his style, if he becomes a 3rd or 4th option, well that's not a good player, because as you say, not good off ball, and doesn't provide spacing.

I can't see a real good team where say Lauri is averaging 18 a game, Lavine 20 PPG and Dunn only like 12. If he's that down the chain, he won't be providing assists either.

Lavine and Dunn both need to be more than 20ppg if anything is going to work.

You'd think ideally Dunn is 16ppg.

1. Has to improve finishing at the rim
2. Has to draw and make more FT's per game... he trending there... should be 4 at minimum... he's currently 2.2 FTA at 73%
3. Needs to improve the 3 ball to 37% and take 4 per game... he currently is at 33% on 2.2 per game

With a strong summer and improvement from Lauri and Lavine that takes scoring pressure and ISO away from him I think he could do that next season.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#426 » by Chi town » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:06 pm

Chi town wrote:
Rerisen wrote:

Lavine and Dunn both need to be more than 20ppg if anything is going to work.

You'd think ideally Dunn is 16ppg.

1. Has to improve finishing at the rim
2. Has to draw and make more FT's per game... he trending there... should be 4 at minimum... he's currently 2.2 FTA at 73%
3. Needs to improve the 3 ball to 37% and take 4 per game... he currently is at 33% on 2.2 per game

With a strong summer and improvement from Lauri and Lavine that takes scoring pressure and ISO away from him I think he could do that next season.

Lavine and Lauri not Dunn... need to be over 20ppg
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#427 » by ATRAIN53 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:08 pm

I like the numbers and think he's on that trajectory. He plays the same way as those guys - except for the 3 point shot now being taken more. Injuries and his reckless style of play are the only thing that will slow him down IMO.

I was hoping this is what we we getting in Cameron Payne. That guy spent a year with Westbrook but does not exhibit his style of play at all like Dunn. Oladipo spent a year watching Russ and look at his improvement.
Mech Engineer
RealGM

Post#428 » by Mech Engineer » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:48 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:I like the numbers and think he's on that trajectory. He plays the same way as those guys - except for the 3 point shot now being taken more. Injuries and his reckless style of play are the only thing that will slow him down IMO.

I was hoping this is what we we getting in Cameron Payne. That guy spent a year with Westbrook but does not exhibit his style of play at all like Dunn. Oladipo spent a year watching Russ and look at his improvement.

Why would you want somebody to model Westbrook? That guy has insane athleticism which almost nobody has. And, look at his overall impact where even a Kevin Durant got sick of him and left in his prime. That's the wrong guy to copy. Kudos to Payne on not copying Westbrook's style and I don't think Oladipo did either. Now, Westbrook has some qualities which everyone can copy like his intense playing style and many other things.

Dunn is better off trying to copy some good things out of Westbrook but also blend in other PG qualities. Adapt the game and not just blindly copy the style of a once in a generation athlete.
contestedlayups
Sixth Man
And1: 1,490

Post#429 » by contestedlayups » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:23 pm

[/quote]You can't depend on a Corner 3. Those get cut off very fast and you have to be dead-eye shooters to shoot those especially in crunch time.[/quote]

Unless if you're the Bulls defensively! :banghead: :banghead:

Players are always wide open. Seriously.
Subscribe to Contested Layups on iTunes or Google Play!

Itunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/contested-layups/id1331840924
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#430 » by JimmyJammer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:11 pm

I like Dunn as much as the next guy, but I have to wonder if passing up on high ceiling guards like Sexton or Shai Gilgeous Alexander will not end up being a mistake. Imagine Utah doing it again this year by selecting Shai Gilgeous Alexander to put next to Donovan Mitchell.
Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#431 » by Lexluthor » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:24 pm

I don't see star potential with Dunn. If Sexton is the next Westbrook you take him at # 8 or 9
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant

Post#432 » by JimmyJammer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:30 pm

I see Dunn as a Chauncey Billups, Derek Harper or Andre Miller type of guard who is never really going to be a big time scorer. He will be a solid PG with clutch and leadership abilities and great defense. Now, is that going to be enough? It depends on what we put around him.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,653

Post#433 » by sco » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:38 pm

I think we give him through next year to assess his trajectory. I think he has a floor at at 3rd quartile starter and ceiling at top 10 PG.
:clap:
GameBredAPBT
Veteran
And1: 1,611

Post#434 » by GameBredAPBT » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:41 pm

Dunn, Sexton, Westbrook, why would we want early 00s Baron/Starbury/Francis/etc type selfish drive & kick PGs? Its 2018. I firmly believe, that from here on out, you NEED a PG that is an imminent threat from range.

Even if he's there IMO we don't gamble on Sexton. I like Lonnie better as at least he's shown some potential as a shooter. Sexton looks like a typical early 00's 1.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#435 » by Chi town » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:18 pm

JimmyJammer wrote:I see Dunn as a Chauncey Billups, Derek Harper or Andre Miller type of guard who is never really going to be a big time scorer. He will be a solid PG with clutch and leadership abilities and great defense. Now, is that going to be enough? It depends on what we put around him.

Me too. I actually think his floor game is improving and he’s forcing less shots.

It’s his make or break summer. If he wants to be a starter he better come back w a 3 ball.

I’ve noticed lately in the paint he is shooting off of one foot now. Normally it’s always two feet jumpers or floaters. He’s experimenting and adding to his game. That’s what he needs to do. He’s also drawing more contact.

At the nd of the day his 3 ball will determine if he’s a starter or a bench player.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#436 » by Rerisen » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:04 pm

Chi town wrote:It’s his make or break summer. If he wants to be a starter he better come back w a 3 ball.

A lot of people are saying this, but in reality, unless he completely falls apart, we'll be hearing the same things a year from now even if he doesn't make much advancement. It's really really hard for people to let go of young players. We were into year 4 with Eddy Curry and Tyrus Thomas and the 'big leap' was always just around the corner for many.

Zach should be the guy that this is especially true for, but even there, if he struggles again, I bet we'll start reading about how it takes a full year to recover from ACL and so 2019-20 is his do or die season.
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant

Post#437 » by JimmyJammer » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:26 pm

Rerisen wrote:
Chi town wrote:It’s his make or break summer. If he wants to be a starter he better come back w a 3 ball.

A lot of people are saying this, but in reality, unless he completely falls apart, we'll be hearing the same things a year from now even if he doesn't make much advancement. It's really really hard for people to let go of young players. We were into year 4 with Eddy Curry and Tyrus Thomas and the 'big leap' was always just around the corner for many.

Zach should be the guy that this is especially true for, but even there, if he struggles again, I bet we'll start reading about how it takes a full year to recover from ACL and so 2019-20 is his do or die season.

We are fans, so that's the nature of the beast. This is how we keep hope alive. Btw, are you suggesting that we give up on these two players already?
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Post#438 » by R3AL1TY » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:33 pm

If Dunn can't even be as good as Rondo at his peak (good passing + good near the basket), then you have to look towards an alternative guy that can both shoot and pass.
GameBredAPBT
Veteran
And1: 1,611

Post#439 » by GameBredAPBT » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:32 pm

JimmyJammer wrote:
Rerisen wrote:

We are fans, so that's the nature of the beast. This is how we keep hope alive. Btw, are you suggesting that we give up on these two players already?

It was a nonsensical post, unsurprisingly.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#440 » by DanTown8587 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:43 pm

GameBredAPBT wrote:
JimmyJammer wrote:
Rerisen wrote:

It was a nonsensical post, unsurprisingly.

There's a difference between getting rid of them versus committing the entire organization to them.

Return to Chicago Bulls