Image ImageImage Image

Robin Lopez we appreciate you

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

ArtMorte
Sixth Man
And1: 2,102

Re: Robin Lopez we appreciate you 

Post#21 » by ArtMorte » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:43 pm

He does seem like a great teammate to have. Especially in a young team like the Bulls it's good to have some veteran presence that's respected by everyone, a guy with a big heart that's going to offer younger players encouragement and even just make them feel welcome in the team.

I also like watching him play. Pretty much the only player in the team that's actually good - offensively and defensively - near the rim. I hope he's not getting traded, because the Bulls would become worse to watch. And yes, I'm pretty much as anti-tank as you can be. Frankly, I think the NBA's draft system sucks ass for rewarding tanking and should be changed.
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#22 » by MC3 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:20 pm

ArtMorte wrote:He does seem like a great teammate to have. Especially in a young team like the Bulls it's good to have some veteran presence that's respected by everyone, a guy with a big heart that's going to offer younger players encouragement and even just make them feel welcome in the essence.

I also like watching him play. Pretty much the only player in the team that's actually good - offensively and defensively - near the rim. I hope he's not getting traded, because the Bulls would become worse to watch. And yes, I'm pretty much as anti-tank as you can be. Frankly, I think the NBA's draft system sucks ass for rewarding tanking and should be changed.

NBA draft system is good. Worst team in league should get best chance to improve. But some teams are blatantly tanking even tho they suck. That's a problem in essance.

For instance Magic has gone from team with best record in the league to worst one in less than 2 months. They actually managed to outtank Hawks who would rather in 3 point game rather score 2 points and lose a game. That's a accomplishment, and then you read tweet how Kings coach is obviously on tank job saying he will rest from now on their vets even though Kings sucked so much and they have 3rd worst record in league.

Back to the topic. Rolo is great guy. And if Bulls arent trading him because - tank reasons. Then we should definitely keep him and look to extend him under the value. I feel his market price at his age wont be big. Specially if you count teams will be reluctant to invest big dollars into bigs going forward. Usually most albatross deals are bigs (Mozgov, Noah, Felicio, whole Bucks frontcourt, Mahinmi etc), old, expensive or unplayable.

My only problem with Rolo is he actually hurting Lauri's offensive game at this stage. We can't use him as PnR threat or in the post because of Rolo and floor spacing. So Hoiberg will need to get creative to expand Lauri's offensive potential by limiting either Rolo's minutes or Rolo will need further expand his skillset.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#23 » by sco » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:39 pm

Robin knows how to play the C position as well as anyone in the league. Seemingly, he has the respect of the younger guys. I expect that our next TRUE starting C isn't on the team, as such, I want Robin around to teach that guy (assuming he's young or a pick). Also, I think Robin could live with a 1-2 year transition to back-up (and I think he's re-signable at a back-up C price).

That all said, I have seen little improvement from Bobby and Felicio at setting screens, picks and boxing out - which is annoying.

The Felicio mistake is solvable with time. I think after next season, we may be able to trade him for a bag of peanuts (but without having to give-up assets to dump him).
:clap:
Bully6789
Senior
And1: 26

Post#24 » by Bully6789 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:39 pm

JimmyJammer wrote:I notice that no one on this message board ever takes the time to appreciate Lopez for his services with the Bulls. Most of the comments about him are usually about trading him away, getting some assets for him and blah blah blah. Frankly, I get it, we are rebuilding; we need to give minutes to the young players to develop

Above all of this, Lopez has been the consummate pro. He is always encouraging his teammates, with either a pat on their back or their head. He is always cheering his teammates on, whether or not he is in the game. He sets some of the toughest screens to get his teammates open looks. He never complains whether or not he plays in the 4th quarter, despite the fact he could be having a great game. And the most important thing of all, he is always healthy. I cannot accentuate enough on how important it is to be healthy to play. It is a grueling 82-gam season, so having a guy who will be there and be productive in all of them is paramount. Since he has been with the Bulls, he has only missed one game due to a suspension after fighting with Ibaka.

Kudos to our big man! We appreciate you RoLo!

Maybe those people you speak of are not watching the games. With this team Lopez is a very valuable asset and trading him for what and who? Trading him for a late 1st round pick why?

Right now the Bulls current roster is going to take the Bulls to the 9-14 lottery pick and trading Niko and or Lopez won’t stop that,

What happens when LaVine minutes increase there is no way the Bulls keep him at 20 minutes the whole season. The way Dunn and Markkanen are improving and the play of Holiday the Bulls are going to win. The best thing to do for the Bulls keep what they got and plan addition to the roster that are impact the Bulls improvement. A second team point guard is a need big time

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,221

Post#25 » by Red8911 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:49 pm

Lopez does deserve more respect and I don’t understand why many here want to get rid of him because he’s “ not part of the future”.. I say he can be part of the future, he can definitely play here for another 2-3 years, Why not? You should keep players like Lopez.
HearshotKDS
Sixth Man
And1: 885

Post#26 » by HearshotKDS » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:50 pm

Was really impressed by his play in the PO series with BOS last season. Before Rondo went down BOS didn't have an answer for the size mismatch he presented. As others have said, even though he himself didnt grab a huge amount of rebounds, his size and physicality put him in play for every loose ball near the rim or in the paint, and I think he must have had around 5 "rebound assists" where he slapped the ball away from 2-3 celtics into open floor where the Bulls were able to grab it. He also was killing their team on the 16 ft. jumper off of pick and pop. Unfortunately Rondo did go down and Grant+MCW werent capable enough ball handlers.

Its looking like the team has moved in a direction where his services arent entirely needed, but such is life in the NBA. There are more than a few teams in the NBA that would absolutely have 20-25 mpg to give RoLo if they could get him, it's just the cost of acquisition might be to formidable a barrier to get any move done.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,221

Post#27 » by Red8911 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:57 pm

ArtMorte wrote:He does seem like a great teammate to have. Especially in a young team like the Bulls it's good to have some veteran presence that's respected by everyone, a guy with a big heart that's going to offer younger players encouragement and even just make them feel welcome in the team.

Agreed the NBA really needs to change this tanking non sense. Can’t have Gms/ fans wanting to lose games, that’s ridiculous and bad for the sport. I’ve been saying for years now that they should introduce a set draft order no matter which place every team ends up in. A fair system where let’s say bulls choose from 1-10 this year and 20-30 the next and so on.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,584

Re: Robin Lopez Appreciation Thread 

Post#28 » by DuckIII » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:06 pm

logical_art wrote:I opened this hoping had been traded. Nothing against him - I agree with all of your sentiments. Super professional. Very underrated.

But I'm still hoping for that high pick and getting something for him.

The fact that so many of us want him traded, and the reason for that desire, is a testament to our appreciation of his quality play. He's been a great player and leader.

And Papa don't take no mess:

Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,438

Post#29 » by ImSlower » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:16 pm

I was explaining my Bulls roster to my Irish roommate the other day, and we had quite a laugh about Lopez. With his heavy accent he askes "Whose that caveman lookin' one then? He's massive!" I explained that he's not an all-star, but is a great veteran leader, makes his team better on-court, and also has a hilarious, years-long feud with mascots. We then got into a funny conversation about mascots, which aren't really a big thing in Irish football, soccer, or rugby.

I think Lopez has been very valuable to us. Both as a steady on-court anchor on defense and easy 12 footers when the offense is actually moving, and as a professional and engaging veteran presence. I'd love to see him get to a team making a late playoff push, netting us an asset. He'll end up one of my favorite temporary Bulls, I think.
bulls4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 571

Post#30 » by bulls4ever » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:17 pm

for a second I thought somehow he was traded.

I don't like Lopez as much as I liked Noah but it is the same principle: His age wont allow to be part of the future. Money is not even the issue here. We have too many big men to give minutes.
the biggest thing about trading Lopez is that we wont have a direct replacement and thus we will suffer some loses.

I like his energy and enthusiasm. He is sure a great person and gives good lock room influence.

If he is not traded this season, I would not be sad/mad if he plays next season coming off the bench or having his minutes limited to 15 or so: a 10 minutes reduction or so.
Call 911, the tank is dying alive, tank you very much

WindyCityBorn wrote:If JJJ and Bamba end up better barring injuries I'll eat a piece of a shoe!
bulls4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 571

Post#31 » by bulls4ever » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:22 pm

and as it was mentioned .. we want him traded not because he sucks but because he is helping too much our team to win ;) what a concept lol I thought those were the ones teams would want to keep ;) tank concept truly sucks

lottery should give teams more chances to draft better players have then just missed the playoffs or just made. That encourage teams to win. End of season is also weird as some teams just wont play to lose. and some playoff teams resting players.
Call 911, the tank is dying alive, tank you very much

WindyCityBorn wrote:If JJJ and Bamba end up better barring injuries I'll eat a piece of a shoe!
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#32 » by erlim » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:36 pm

Yeah, I agree from an intangibles and off court standpoint Robin's contributions have been paramount. He's no slouch on court either.

I was so afraid entering into the season. We've had so many stalwart vets on really inexperienced teams who have failed to aid a mature and winning culture. Really giving teammates, such as Antonio Davis and Charles Oakley---just couldn't help Curry and Chandler (at the time) grow up. You literally had Scottie Pippen returning to the house he built (alongside Jordan, obviously), and you wonder what kind of conversations he and Eddie Robinson had sitting on the bench. Like "hey Eddie, here's some really fun and simple ways I used my physical tools playing when I was your age. Maybe they might come in handy, I don't know."

The fact that Robin has had his dope attitude, is involved with mentoring the club---especially Lauri, and has his teammate's back on the court is something that is really worth appreciating, especially considering all the ways we've lost our heart and our drive historically. He's perpetually excited, talking to the guys, and remains unwaveringly easygoing. He's a gift, for sure. I think eventually, like kids off to college, our core will mature and skilled enough to be able to excel without him; but in this first year, I'm so thankful to have RoLo as our master Splinter.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#33 » by FriedRise » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:37 pm

I said this the first year he was traded here, but after several years of having centers who only played one side of the court, he's a good mix of Pau's offense and Jo's defense. He has a pretty good midrange jumper, a weird-looking but pretty reliable hook shot, sets great screens, and he guards. You're never going 4-on-5 in any situation.

If you're box-score watching, you'll see that he's a poor rebounder, but that number is misleading. He's usually boxing out the other team's best rebounder when the ball goes up (and sometimes more because of his massive body) so our other guys can grab the ball. His team has always been one of the best rebounding teams in the league (top 10).

Oh, and he never gets hurt either. He's played every game since he's been here. Durability counts, yo.

He's low maintenance, very serviceable, wins most tip-offs, and a great mentor in the locker room full of young guys. For this next draft, if I could have a choice between grabbing a C or a SF (assuming all things equal), I'd go for a SF every time.
ChiTownHero1992
Starter
And1: 1,465

Post#35 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:54 pm

I don't think anyone discredits Lopez for what he does and brings to the team...its more just about trying to improve a situation in which there are not enough minutes to go around...

Do I wish Robin could stick around...yes but he is a little older and really isn't forseen as a top 3 post player on the team atleast for the future (Lauri, Niko, Portis - by some)...

Lopez was a great addition to this team after we lost long time staples of Deng and Noah but I think his tenure with the Bulls is coming to a close very, very soon.
Rhyder78
Pro Prospect
And1: 144

Post#36 » by Rhyder78 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:12 pm

Robin Lopez is our Antonio Davis. I personally do not want him traded. He will still be effective even in a bench role as age catches up with him based on his high IQ and style of play alone.
JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,591

Post#37 » by JohnnyTapwater » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:17 pm

I love me some Lopez... He's a top notch guy...
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#38 » by ZOMG » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:22 pm

I love RoLo. He's the definition of an NBA cult hero. He's so unselfish, he makes Mother Teresa look like Final Season Kobe.

However:

MC3 wrote:My only problem with Rolo is he actually hurting Lauri's offensive game at this stage. We can't use him as PnR threat or in the post because of Rolo and floor spacing. So Hoiberg will need to get creative to expand Lauri's offensive potential by limiting either Rolo's minutes or Rolo will need further expand his skillset.

This is right on point. The ability to function as a PnR roll man is crucial for Lauri's development. Lately, in half court, he's been slipping back into the 100% pop guy role (partly because his shot is falling, of course) which he should be somewhat careful about.

I don't see RoLo suddenly developing a three point shot like his brother - this is who he is. While I love all the little things he's doing, he doesn't really fit that well anymore. The Bulls are probably gonna push the ball more since LaVine (a fast break artist if I ever saw one) is playing, and RoLo's already looked like he can't keep up with the pace on many occasions.

You won't find me crying in a fetal position if he's NOT traded, but in that case there's gonna have to be changes in how he's used and in his playing time.
rowseyna
Veteran
And1: 864

Post#39 » by rowseyna » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:46 pm

ZOMG wrote:I love RoLo. He's the definition of an NBA cult hero. He's so unselfish, he makes Mother Teresa look like Final Season Kobe.

However:

MC3 wrote:My only problem with Rolo is he actually hurting Lauri's offensive game at this stage. We can't use him as PnR threat or in the post because of Rolo and floor spacing. So Hoiberg will need to get creative to expand Lauri's offensive potential by limiting either Rolo's minutes or Rolo will need further expand his skillset.

This is right on point. The ability to function as a PnR roll man is crucial for Lauri's development. Lately, in half court, he's been slipping back into the 100% pop guy role (partly because his shot is falling, of course) which he should be somewhat careful about.

I don't see RoLo suddenly developing a three point shot like his brother - this is who he is. While I love all the little things he's doing, he doesn't really fit that well anymore. The Bulls are probably gonna push the ball more since LaVine (a fast break artist if I ever saw one) is playing, and RoLo's already looked like he can't keep up with the pace on many occasions.

You won't find me crying in a fetal position if he's NOT traded, but in that case there's gonna have to be changes in how he's used and in his playing time.

RoLo is definitely not hurting Lauri's offensive game. In fact, he's helping it.

https://nbamath.com/determining-playoff-etas-chicago-bulls-edition/
https://www.sbnation.com/2016/2/17/11022090/robin-lopez-knicks-role-player-highlights-stats
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,154

Post#40 » by League Circles » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:51 pm

I like him. He's a good leader. I think he's overrated as a player. I have no confidence that trading him for even the peanuts we'd receive will really help the tank. Of course, I'm not really prioritizing the tank that much anymore, so whatever.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear

Return to Chicago Bulls