Image ImageImage Image

Robin Lopez we appreciate you

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Re: Robin Lopez we appreciate you 

Post#41 » by Downtown » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:57 pm

Blazers fan here. In watching the highlights from last night the one thing that jumped out at me was how similar the PnR with Lopez and Lavine was from when Lillard came into the league and how he developed a deadly PnR using Lopez. Lopez does a very good job of reading the play and besides setting the picks in the right spots it's also about the timing and not rushing it. As good as Lillard is he had to learn how to properly execute it and having a good setter is important in that learning curve.

All big men try to set good screens and roll but not all can do it in a way that is the most efficient. It's become a big part of the game and a guy like Lopez doesn't get enough credit for how well he does it because there's no assist attached to it when your player you basically gave an open look to hits his shot. It's also about chemistry between the two players to know how to read each other and those two looked like they've played together for a while so I expect it to get even better and a good coach can integrate a couple more plays to be run off it.

For that reason alone knowing how both Lavine and Dunn can develop into even better backcourt players by playing off a good veteran like Lopez is worth keeping him a little longer. Mentorship for the future. He was really liked by Blazers fans and we still mention him fondly from time to time.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#42 » by ZOMG » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:58 pm

Yeah, to say that he's actively hurting it is an exaggeration. He's still doing lots of things that help Lauri.

However, the safety valve that is the RoLo pick and roll isn't anything the team should be learning to lean on. It has saved Dunn's ass dozens of times, but it's just a super narrow way of looking at the offense.

With the shooting threat that LaVine brings, I'm practically salivating when thinking about the floor spacing the Bulls might achieve. It's already been good, but it can get even better. Lauri, though, has to learn how to take advantage of the spacing as well, not just how to create it. Portis can do that, as can Niko.

It often feels like the second unit has better spacing than the starters since RoLo's on the bench. Portis has been able to feast inside because of this.
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#43 » by JimmyJammer » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:06 pm

bulls4ever wrote:for a second I thought somehow he was traded.

I don't like Lopez as much as I liked Noah but it is the same principle: His age wont allow to be part of the future. Money is not even the issue here. We have too many big men to give minutes.
the biggest thing about trading Lopez is that we wont have a direct replacement and thus we will suffer some loses.

I like his energy and enthusiasm. He is sure a great person and gives good lock room influence.

If he is not traded this season, I would not be sad/mad if he plays next season coming off the bench or having his minutes limited to 15 or so: a 10 minutes reduction or so.

Yes, we have multiple big men that we need to give minutes to, but none of them can do what Lopez does. He is the real enforcer of the team, in the same mold as Kurt Thomas, Brad Miller and Antonio Davis.
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#44 » by RememberLu » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:11 pm

Oh wow I forgot all about Kurt Thomas. How dare I. Big Sexy
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,537

Post#45 » by dice » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:14 pm

thank you

-robin
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,743

Re: Robin Lopez Appreciation Thread 

Post#46 » by dougthonus » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:34 pm

Chitownbulls wrote:If you dont get rid of him now, what is the plan for him? Let him walk? Use our cap space to resign him? Neither are good options.

If you trade him, you are maybe getting a 2nd rounder and an expiring deal. Not so exciting really. Even then, you might not find that.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,549

Post#47 » by Dominator83 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:34 pm

Red8911 wrote:
ArtMorte wrote:He does seem like a great teammate to have. Especially in a young team like the Bulls it's good to have some veteran presence that's respected by everyone, a guy with a big heart that's going to offer younger players encouragement and even just make them feel welcome in the team.

I also like watching him play. Pretty much the only player in the team that's actually good - offensively and defensively - near the rim. I hope he's not getting traded, because the Bulls would become worse to watch. And yes, I'm pretty much as anti-tank as you can be. Frankly, I think the NBA's draft system sucks ass for rewarding tanking and should be changed.

Agreed the NBA really needs to change this tanking non sense. Can’t have Gms/ fans wanting to lose games, that’s ridiculous and bad for the sport. I’ve been saying for years now that they should introduce a set draft order no matter which place every team ends up in. A fair system where let’s say bulls choose from 1-10 this year and 20-30 the next and so on.

Yea and this whole "tweak' they just did, it helps a little but not nearly enough. I wanna see a system where every team except for the 4 Conference finalists, all get an equal shot at the 1st 5 picks. With a system like that, even the Joe Johnson Atlanta teams always have hope to make that leap over the hump with a lucky bounce of the ping pong balls. Also, in a system like that, teams wouldn't be encouraged to trade away their stars because they feel stuck
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,483

Post#48 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:40 pm

I love Robin Lopez aka Sideshow Bob

He is a great leader. Solid player. Just a great guy in general.

If we do trade him I hope it's to a contender because he deserves it
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM

Post#49 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:46 pm

Also can't forget his antics with mascots....Love that haha

BeatDaCavs420
RealGM

Post#50 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:47 pm

DuckIII wrote:
logical_art wrote:I opened this hoping had been traded. Nothing against him - I agree with all of your sentiments. Super professional. Very underrated.

But I'm still hoping for that high pick and getting something for him.

The fact that so many of us want him traded, and the reason for that desire, is a testament to our appreciation of his quality play. He's been a great player and leader.

And Papa don't take no mess:

Damn it you beat me too it :lol:
Bully6789
Senior
And1: 26

Post#51 » by Bully6789 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:52 pm

Red8911 wrote:Lopez does deserve more respect and I don’t understand why many here want to get rid of him because he’s “ not part of the future”.. I say he can be part of the future, he can definitely play here for another 2-3 years, Why not? You should keep players like Lopez.

Lopez is exactly what these young Bulls need an inside presence and for those who want him gone who do they expect to replace him. I think the front office guys gave Felicio that 32 mil
With the idea that he would but when you don’t give the guy minutes how can you justify moving Lopez.

Their intent was to be place to get one of the prime 7 footers coming out this year but they underestimated what Dunn Markkanen Holiday Mbawa would do now they know now they are moving towards the 9-14 draft slot and when they start allowing LaVine unlimited minutes they move close to 12 to 15 in the draft.

So I say add some serious second unit players and this team can next season be fighting for 4-8 play off position

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#52 » by RememberLu » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:57 pm

Ideally you move Lopez and replace him for the long haul with one of the better bigs in this draft. Either ayton, Bamba, JJJ or whoever else the Bulls identify as a high ceiling player. I find it hard to believe that Niko, Lopez, and Justin Holiday can't get you to move up a decent bunch of spots in the draft to nab someone good
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,798

Post#53 » by jc23 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:08 am

he has been great here since day 1.
Be curious, Not judgmental
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,635

Post#54 » by Dez » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:43 am

Chitownbulls wrote:
logical_art wrote:I opened this hoping had been traded. Nothing against him - I agree with all of your sentiments. Super professional. Very underrated.

But I'm still hoping for that high pick and getting something for him.

Agreed. Big picture...Lopez is a career journeyman that wont be here much longer. The nucleus of our team is all under the age of 24. LeBron looks to still have a good 3yrs left. GarPax need to step in, trade this man an continue with the tank. Time to develop 32million dollar man Felicio.

The mentorship aspect is nice but I think it's overrated. He showed Lauri the way for half the season, he will be fine without Lopez here.

If you dont get rid of him now, what is the plan for him? Let him walk? Use our cap space to resign him? Neither are good options.

You're completely understating how much of a role good mentoring plays in the development of a young player.
Costa78
Rookie
And1: 478

Post#55 » by Costa78 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:01 am

I love the guy. I understand this is a Business and he may bring value back, but I really don’t want to trade RoLo. He has been nothing but a great teammate since day 1. What he brings to the team really goes far beyond the box score.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Re: RE: Robin Lopez we appreciate you 

Post#56 » by Stratmaster » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:06 am

JimmyJammer wrote:I notice that no one on this message board ever takes the time to appreciate Lopez for his services with the Bulls. Most of the comments about him are usually about trading him away, getting some assets for him and blah blah blah. Frankly, I get it, we are rebuilding; we need to give minutes to the young players to develop

Above all of this, Lopez has been the consummate pro. He is always encouraging his teammates, with either a pat on their back or their head. He is always cheering his teammates on, whether or not he is in the game. He sets some of the toughest screens to get his teammates open looks. He never complains whether or not he plays in the 4th quarter, despite the fact he could be having a great game. And the most important thing of all, he is always healthy. I cannot accentuate enough on how important it is to be healthy to play. It is a grueling 82-gam season, so having a guy who will be there and be productive in all of them is paramount. Since he has been with the Bulls, he has only missed one game due to a suspension after fighting with Ibaka.

Kudos to our big man! We appreciate you RoLo!

Amen. I like Rolo and think he has not only been a pro about everything but also had performed at a high level.

Sent from my SM-G920V using RealGM mobile app
waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,661
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#57 » by waffle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:30 am

add me to the list

His type may be a dying breed? But he's a darn fine example of a dying breed. And he seems like a GREAT guy. And he sets wicked picks.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,262

Post#58 » by kodo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:51 am

It's weird saying that Robin is playing far better than his brother this season.

Feels like a Marc overtaking Pau thing.
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#59 » by erlim » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:30 pm

kodo wrote:It's weird saying that Robin is playing far better than his brother this season.

Kinda? I mean Marc is substantially younger than Pau, so it was bound to happen. I think RoLo and Brook are around the same age.
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#60 » by MC3 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:33 pm

kodo wrote:It's weird saying that Robin is playing far better than his brother this season.

Rolo is better basketball player than his bother. So it's no wonder he playing far better.

Return to Chicago Bulls