Image ImageImage Image

Around the NBA: 2017-18 Season #4

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Re: Around the NBA: 2017-18 Season #4 

Post#481 » by johnnyvann840 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:04 am

dice wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:Big thumbs up to the 1-16 playoff format. Just make it a real 16 team tournament. If you do it though, I think you have to make the schedule even (regarding how many times you play each team) regardless of division, conference or geography. Would even things out for teams in the middle of the country and make the easier travel schedules of a California team who stays close to home a lot a little rougher. But teams would have to play other divisions and conferences (well, there wouldn't really be any) equally as many times as their own.

you don't have to change anything with regard to the regular season scheduling for a 1-16 playoff format to be an improvement. and i'm going to guess that more travel is not a desirable scenario for the players

Well, there is no reason why you couldn't work the schedules out where teams wouldn't have to travel any more than they do now. They just have to play the other conference as much as their own. Take divisions out of the equation and go from there. You could do it with LESS actual travel but having slightly longer road trips.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#482 » by bearadonisdna » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:07 am

Regarding the wolves and what they need off the bench. I agree it doesnt have to be a scorer, but basically a damn body that can play nba minutes because it seems like thibs has a 7-8 man rotation.

Thats why a scorer helps, heck anything helps imo.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#483 » by kyrv » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:35 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:
dice wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:Big thumbs up to the 1-16 playoff format. Just make it a real 16 team tournament. If you do it though, I think you have to make the schedule even (regarding how many times you play each team) regardless of division, conference or geography. Would even things out for teams in the middle of the country and make the easier travel schedules of a California team who stays close to home a lot a little rougher. But teams would have to play other divisions and conferences (well, there wouldn't really be any) equally as many times as their own.

you don't have to change anything with regard to the regular season scheduling for a 1-16 playoff format to be an improvement. and i'm going to guess that more travel is not a desirable scenario for the players

Well, there is no reason why you couldn't work the schedules out where teams wouldn't have to travel any more than they do now. They just have to play the other conference as much as their own. Take divisions out of the equation and go from there. You could do it with LESS actual travel but having slightly longer road trips.

I agree. And I never understood the whining about the circus trip, you have to play the games anyway. Going out west twice saves a boatload of miles.

JV ' what do you think about the 2 3 2 format? I hate it, but...if you are doing 1 to 16 you may have to consider it.

Also the NBA needs to figure out that you need to re-seed after every round, something other team sports have already figured out.

Going 1-16 with re-seeding, suddenly you don't hear LeCavs not caring about seeding.
suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

Post#484 » by suckfish » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:58 pm

Kevin Hart... why.. why he is involved with everything? I thought we got rid of him when he retired from the celeb game.. now he's doing some lame stand up attempt for the player intros..

He even tried crashing the damn super bowl celebrations.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#485 » by rtblues » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:15 am

Recently, Laura Ingraham of Fox News made some pretty horrid comments regarding Lebron James speaking his mind politically, which clearly indicate how Trump's racism has empowered other racists to speak freely. On a National News Network no less. Laura Ingraham is perhaps unaware that Lebron James is actively helping the youth in this country, donating huge sums of money in the process. http://moneyinc.com/lebron-james-five-humongous-charitable-donations/

I don't usually post anything political, and it's even a bit unusual to be defending the Bulls perennial nemesis, Lebron, but I do feel that the comments made by Ingraham land in our world and goes after one of ours in a most unfair, and openly racist manner.
Lastly, Ingraham was incorrect in saying about Lebron James "this is what happens when you leave high school a year early to join the NBA", um he didn't lady, he graduated high-school. Then she went after him for his recent comments, attacking the comments by saying that Lebron's comments were, "un-grammatical" and “barely intelligible”. Lady, STFU and fugh-off!

Sorry, for politicizing, but this pissed me off. In his entire career Lebron James has never been in trouble or involved in any type scandal. He is husband, father, and gives a lot of his money away to good causes that help young people. Oh, and Lebron James ISN'T being investigated by Robert Mueller, just sayin'...

Ingraham? She just runs her racist-ass mouth on FOX NEWS. That is all...
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#486 » by GimmeDat » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:25 am

rtblues wrote:Recently, Laura Ingraham of Fox News made some pretty horrid comments regarding Lebron James speaking his mind politically, which clearly indicate how Trump's racism has empowered other racists to speak freely. On a National News Network no less. Laura Ingraham is perhaps unaware that Lebron James is actively helping the youth in this country, donating huge sums of money in the process. http://moneyinc.com/lebron-james-five-humongous-charitable-donations/

I don't usually post anything political, and it's even a bit unusual to be defending the Bulls perennial nemesis, Lebron, but I do feel that the comments made by Ingraham land in our world and goes after one of ours in a most unfair, and openly racist manner.
Lastly, Ingraham was incorrect in saying about Lebron James "this is what happens when you leave high school a year early to join the NBA", um he didn't lady, he graduated high-school. Then she went after him for his recent comments, attacking the comments by saying that Lebron's comments were, "un-grammatical" and “barely intelligible”. Lady, STFU and fugh-off!

Sorry, for politicizing, but this pissed me off. In his entire career Lebron James has never been in trouble or involved in any type scandal. He is husband, father, and gives a lot of his money away to good causes that help young people. Oh, and Lebron James ISN'T being investigated by Robert Mueller, just sayin'...

We should probably be careful about not getting too politically focused here, but yeah, I was looking at that stuff the last couple of days. As a non-American it beggars belief that the current Presidency can open the door for comments like that from her, and if you go on Twitter or elsewhere, reading like-minded individuals in support is just deflating to see.

One issue I find with social media is, beyond the well documented impact of being behind a screen and people feeling comfortable to express bigoted views is that everyone's also able to surround themselves in an echo-chamber of like minded opinions, no matter how fringe a particular movement or perspective is in the scope of broader society, which validates and reinforces things like in this case, discrimination.

The world's in a pretty weird and concerning place right now.

Kudos to LBJ (and KD) for standing up and voicing their opinions. Every person has an equal right to hold and express opinions, and particularly in a position of influence, it's important that injustice is called out and the discussions happen.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#487 » by rtblues » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:33 am

GimmeDat wrote:
rtblues wrote:Recently, Laura Ingraham of Fox News made some pretty horrid comments regarding Lebron James speaking his mind politically, which clearly indicate how Trump's racism has empowered other racists to speak freely. On a National News Network no less. Laura Ingraham is perhaps unaware that Lebron James is actively helping the youth in this country, donating huge sums of money in the process. http://moneyinc.com/lebron-james-five-humongous-charitable-donations/

We should probably be careful about not getting too politically focused here, but yeah, I was looking at that stuff the last couple of days. As a non-American it beggars belief that the current Presidency can open the door for comments like that from her, and if you go on Twitter or elsewhere, reading like-minded individuals in support is just deflating to see.

One issue I find with social media is, beyond the well documented impact of being behind a screen and people feeling comfortable to express bigoted views is that everyone's also able to surround themselves in an echo-chamber of like minded opinions, no matter how fringe a particular movement or perspective is in the scope of broader society, which validates and reinforces things like in this case, discrimination.

The world's in a pretty weird and concerning place right now.

Kudos to LBJ (and KD) for standing up and voicing their opinions. Every person has an equal right to hold and express opinions, and particularly in a position of influence, it's important that injustice is called out and the discussions happen.

Very well said Sir! Agree almost entirely. And yeah, it's human nature to live in the echo chamber of one's choice.
The one thing I'd argue with is that Ingraham didn't tweet her comments behind the safety and anonymity of a computer screen, but rather on a National News Network, openly and loudly. Again, I have avoided politicizing here, but this time, being connected to hoops, and very unfair, I made a post about it.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,222

Post#488 » by Red8911 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:38 am

Why does it matter that lebron donates money to the youth? What does that have to do with him talking politics to the public? Don’t mix those two together.He along with a lot of rich people do this and they save on taxes,it’s not only from their good hearts. Also Lebron might be a good guy in general no one said anything about that,but again this has nothing to do with why she told him to “just dribble”.
Ingraham was actually right he should just focus on his job and what made him famous which is basketball. There’s no problem with him stating his opinion on who he supports but don’t over do it and go all political like he knows everything. He along with other athletes/ actors(who are loaded) should really stop,no one cares what they think since most can’t relate to everyday people.
Ingraham was wrong about the high school thing I agree with that,there was obviously a mistake there but racist how??? I’ve heard a lot of people say this and that is just ridiculous.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,451

Post#489 » by Mk0 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:35 am

The Ingraham thing reeks of trolling to get clicks. She followed his initial reply with an invite onto her show. Big surprise!

"Shut up and dribble" is ironic considering this is a channel that has had Gene Simmons, Kid Rock, Clint Eastwood, Chuck Norris, Joe Namath, and Dog The goddammed Bounty Hunter on to talk politics.

* Also on aside I heard that "shut up and..." is her catchphrase. She said DeNiro needed to "Shut up and act" and Kimmel should "Shut up and make us laugh"

** She is a troll and a waste of time. I hope LeBron is even more engaged politically. I may hate him on the court but he has always been a fantastic role model for kids and he does a lot of good for people. Just because philanthropic endeavors usually have a tax break doesn't mean someone isn't genuine in their goals. Bill & Melinda Gates must save a fortune but that doesn't diminish the impact they have had.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#490 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:54 am

More Jimmy talk.
Advanced stats arent that kind to wiggins. Wiggins is playing the 3 and jimmy the 2 mostly.(According to bball reference play by play)

Wouldnt it help their team if jimmy was the sf? A stouter player to play the position vs struggling player wiggins.
kyrv
RealGM

Post#491 » by kyrv » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:10 am

Klomp wrote:
kyrv wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:Honestly i think rose would help the wolves rotation even as a 3rd point guard. Unless he is incapable.

It really is incredibly telling that the Wolved don't think so. Thibs has shown a lot of love to bad vets who know his system. Worse players than Rose even.

My own guess is that the Rose to Wolves rumors were made up BS guessing. It really didn't make sense unless Thibs felt he owed something to Rose.

According to one media person, supposedly ownership put the kibosh on the signing, they're saying because the move would affect Jones' minutes.

Thanks, but the move only affects Jones' minutes if Thibs makes it affect his minutes.

It was, we don't want Rose, not Rose would not accept a deep bench role.

I doubt Taylor is setting up the rotation?
kyrv
RealGM

Post#492 » by kyrv » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:13 am

Mk0 wrote:The Ingraham thing reeks of trolling to get clicks. She followed his initial reply with an invite onto her show. Big surprise!

"Shut up and dribble" is ironic considering this is a channel that has had Gene Simmons, Kid Rock, Clint Eastwood, Chuck Norris, Joe Namath, and Dog The goddammed Bounty Hunter on to talk politics.

* Also on aside I heard that "shut up and..." is her catchphrase. She said DeNiro needed to "Shut up and act" and Kimmel should "Shut up and make us laugh"

** She is a troll and a waste of time. I hope LeBron is even more engaged politically. I may hate him on the court but he has always been a fantastic role model for kids and he does a lot of good for people. Just because philanthropic endeavors usually have a tax break doesn't mean someone isn't genuine in their goals. Bill & Melinda Gates must save a fortune but that doesn't diminish the impact they have had.

Yep she is a huge troll and that is her thing. Reminds me of when Bayless asked why someone "didn't just shut up". You can't make this stuff up.
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#493 » by Axolotl » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:08 am

rtblues wrote:Fox News made some pretty horrid comments ...

It's Fox News. They have a political agenda.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#494 » by musiqsoulchild » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:32 am

Laura Ingrahm has a chain on her neck that she carries a cross on.

Every other part of her body and spirit is un-Christian.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM

Post#495 » by musiqsoulchild » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:44 am

What does Rappaport have to say about this?

Warning : NSFW / NOT FOR KIDS

http://m.worldstarhiphop.com/android/video.php?v=wshh5M10j7ec3K0o8s88
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#496 » by the ultimates » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:00 am

bearadonisdna wrote:More Jimmy talk.
Advanced stats arent that kind to wiggins. Wiggins is playing the 3 and jimmy the 2 mostly.(According to bball reference play by play)

Wouldnt it help their team if jimmy was the sf? A stouter player to play the position vs struggling player wiggins.

Then what do they do with Wiggins? It's already a really short rotation. Do you give more minutes to a 37-year-old Jamal Crawford?
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM

Post#497 » by musiqsoulchild » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:54 am

the ultimates wrote:

Then what do they do with Wiggins? It's already a really short rotation. Do you give more minutes to a 37-year-old Jamal Crawford?

I'd trade him for a couple of useful players. His contract is just WRONG
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#498 » by jc23 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:08 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:What does Rappaport have to say about this?

Warning : NSFW / NOT FOR KIDS

http://m.worldstarhiphop.com/android/video.php?v=wshh5M10j7ec3K0o8s88

Can’t listen to Rapp no more, use to be one of my favorites but now he is on another level of annoying New Yorker. Needs to dial it down about 30 notches.
Be curious, Not judgmental
ArizonaBullsFan
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#499 » by ArizonaBullsFan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:54 pm

the ultimates wrote:

Just from what I've noticed, B-R.com's "Position Played" (for lack of a better term) is basically just a guess, based on a player's listed position and size. For example:

Lauri - 82% PF, 18% C
Bobby - 49% PF, 51% C
Niko - 99% PF, 0% C (and 0% SF)

Obviously, whether Niko is on the floor with Portis or Markk, he's listed as the PF. Almost certainly, Bobby is the PF and Lauri the C when they are on the floor together, since we know Lauri plays nothing but PF with Lopez (and nothing but C with Niko), and that's who he shares most of his minutes with.

Whichever combo was out there, it's not like there was much difference at all saying who was the center. Generically, Lauri should be the PF and Bobby the C, since Lauri shoots more 3's. Who guarded the PF and who guarded the C is based on matchups with that night's opponent.

Nwaba has played 3% of his minutes at PG, I guess just because he's listed as a PG, and that gives him about 29-30 minutes at PG. He has been on the floor with Holiday/Valentine/2 bigs for 15 minutes, and almost certainly those 15 minutes would show Nwaba at PG on B-R.com, even though Denzel would be the de facto PG with those lineups on the floor.

But assuming he's out there with Holiday and Valentine for those "PG" minutes, Denzel is certainly the PG on offense. And Nwaba is guarding the best perimeter player on the other team, be it a PG, SG or SF.

The old adage is that your position is who you guard on the other, but that's going away more each year as more teams go to positionless basketball.

Back to Jimmy and Wiggins, Wiggins shoots more 3's, which generically would make him the SG on offense. Jimmy has many more assists, which generically would make him the SG on offense.

I'm assuming that during almost all of their shared minutes, Jimmy is guarding the opponent's best wing, whether said opponent is a SG or a SF.

Put Jamal out there with Jimmy or Wiggins and he's obviously the SG, as long as Tyus is on the floor.

But put him out there with Jimmy and Wiggins, and he seems to obviously be the PG, even though Jimmy gives MIN more assists. But I'm sure there have been lots of games that Jimmy guarded the PG when JB/JC/AW is their 1-2-3 combo.

That trio vs OKC, it's pretty safe to assume that Jimmy is guarding PG Westbrook and Jamal is guarding SG Roberson, since he has no offensive game to speak of.

I don't know if there's a point to all the crap I just typed, other than the NBA keeps going more positionless with each passing season. Guys who can play multiple positions on offense (and more importantly, can guard multiple positions on defense) are becoming more and more valuable all the time.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Post#500 » by sco » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:21 pm

ArizonaBullsFan wrote:
the ultimates wrote:

Just from what I've noticed, B-R.com's "Position Played" (for lack of a better term) is basically just a guess, based on a player's listed position and size. For example:

Lauri - 82% PF, 18% C
Bobby - 49% PF, 51% C
Niko - 99% PF, 0% C (and 0% SF)

Obviously, whether Niko is on the floor with Portis or Markk, he's listed as the PF. Almost certainly, Bobby is the PF and Lauri the C when they are on the floor together, since we know Lauri plays nothing but PF with Lopez (and nothing but C with Niko), and that's who he shares most of his minutes with.

Whichever combo was out there, it's not like there was much difference at all saying who was the center. Generically, Lauri should be the PF and Bobby the C, since Lauri shoots more 3's. Who guarded the PF and who guarded the C is based on matchups with that night's opponent.

Nwaba has played 3% of his minutes at PG, I guess just because he's listed as a PG, and that gives him about 29-30 minutes at PG. He has been on the floor with Holiday/Valentine/2 bigs for 15 minutes, and almost certainly those 15 minutes would show Nwaba at PG on B-R.com, even though Denzel would be the de facto PG with those lineups on the floor.

But assuming he's out there with Holiday and Valentine for those "PG" minutes, Denzel is certainly the PG on offense. And Nwaba is guarding the best perimeter player on the other team, be it a PG, SG or SF.

The [url]old adage is that your position is who you guard on the other[/url], but that's going away more each year as more teams go to positionless basketball.

Back to Jimmy and Wiggins, Wiggins shoots more 3's, which generically would make him the SG on offense. Jimmy has many more assists, which generically would make him the SG on offense.

I'm assuming that during almost all of their shared minutes, Jimmy is guarding the opponent's best wing, whether said opponent is a SG or a SF.

Put Jamal out there with Jimmy or Wiggins and he's obviously the SG, as long as Tyus is on the floor.

But put him out there with Jimmy and Wiggins, and he seems to obviously be the PG, even though Jimmy gives MIN more assists. But I'm sure there have been lots of games that Jimmy guarded the PG when JB/JC/AW is their 1-2-3 combo.

That trio vs OKC, it's pretty safe to assume that Jimmy is guarding PG Westbrook and Jamal is guarding SG Roberson, since he has no offensive game to speak of.

I don't know if there's a point to all the crap I just typed, other than the NBA keeps going more positionless with each passing season. Guys who can play multiple positions on offense (and more importantly, can guard multiple positions on defense) are becoming more and more valuable all the time.

If the old adage is true - Nwaba is the best player on the team! :wink:
:clap:

Return to Chicago Bulls