Image ImageImage Image

Jazz will release Rose! Sign him or not?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,130

Re: Jazz will release Rose! Sign him or not? 

Post#121 » by League Circles » Fri Feb 9, 2018 8:30 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
The Evidence wrote:The Chicago connection is too hard to ignore. We need to take care of our own, even after their usefulness is gone.

Why? Serious question. I don’t get it. Please explain. Where do you draw the line? My mom is a south sider. But I never lived in Chicago. Down state my whole life. If Rose had that same story would it be different for you?

What if he was from Buffalo? Or Hong Kong?

It’s pure coincidence. I don’t get it. It’s not rational. If Rose was was from Queens he’s be the most hated Bulls player of all time.

It’s such a ridiculous basis on which to form a distinction.

If I had to make a guess, there are a lot of posters who grew up in the same instances as Rose and see him as a sort of hero for getting out the extreme poverty and hopelessness from which he came. I mean, he was drafted with a 1.7% chance and then won the youngest MVP award in the history of the league. I'll bet that if you ask the Rose fans when they first heard about him, he was probably was no older than 12-14. That means these guys have been invested in a guy through his entire high school/AAU career, college, the Bulls, and beyond.

And it isn't Chicago specifically; it's south/west side Chicago. If Derrick was from the north side of the city, he'd still be "from Chicago" but you wouldn't see the same loyalty and admiration from his fans. And in this case, there are simply too many guys who can't "break up" with Rose no matter what.

And I don't really blame them for their admiration of Rose, it's always been an issue to me that the team somehow owes anything to Rose that upsets me.

This may be the case for many, but FWIW, I'm one of the biggest Rose fans on here, and I'm 10 years older than him, grew up in completely different circumstances in Wisconsin, never heard of him basically til the Bulls won the lottery and I started looking at prospects for the draft, have never lived in Chicago (though moved to the area from WI a few years ago), and I even am biased against small guards.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#122 » by kyrv » Fri Feb 9, 2018 8:33 pm

fleet wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ho Hooo! It was a thing eh? That will be news to some people that denied it.

Shocking revelation. :0

But moved on, meh. Butler is really good. Rose is not. Their beef was mostly on-court. Rose has learned his place. Jimmy won.

Jimmy doesn't forget. And Jimmy doesn't like misunderstandings.
ArtMorte
Sixth Man
And1: 2,102

Post#123 » by ArtMorte » Fri Feb 9, 2018 8:40 pm

lol, you'd have to be mad to re-sign Rose.
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#124 » by BR0D1E86 » Fri Feb 9, 2018 9:50 pm

I’d be fine with resigning him. To a one day contract as he’s retiring. I’ll not rehash the whole argument again, but for me it permanently tainted my opinion of him. But I wouldn’t be against be one day contract thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,204

Post#125 » by fleet » Fri Feb 9, 2018 11:21 pm

SeniorWalker wrote:
DanTown8587 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Why? Serious question. I don’t get it. Please explain. Where do you draw the line? My mom is a south sider. But I never lived in Chicago. Down state my whole life. If Rose had that same story would it be different for you?

What if he was from Buffalo? Or Hong Kong?

It’s pure coincidence. I don’t get it. It’s not rational. If Rose was was from Queens he’s be the most hated Bulls player of all time.

It’s such a ridiculous basis on which to form a distinction.

If I had to make a guess, there are a lot of posters who grew up in the same instances as Rose and see him as a sort of hero for getting out the extreme poverty and hopelessness from which he came. I mean, he was drafted with a 1.7% chance and then won the youngest MVP award in the history of the league. I'll bet that if you ask the Rose fans when they first heard about him, he was probably was no older than 12-14. That means these guys have been invested in a guy through his entire high school/AAU career, college, the Bulls, and beyond.

And it isn't Chicago specifically; it's south/west side Chicago. If Derrick was from the north side of the city, he'd still be "from Chicago" but you wouldn't see the same loyalty and admiration from his fans. And in this case, there are simply too many guys who can't "break up" with Rose no matter what.

And I don't really blame them for their admiration of Rose, it's always been an issue to me that the team somehow owes anything to Rose that upsets me.

Bingo. It's not something that anyone can be made to understand who didn't grow up in those circumstances, nor should said person necessarily accept it. It's irrational, emotional. We all know it and still support him blindly. Anyone who was raised on that side of the city, extreme violence as it is, shares a brotherhood in that no one expects much from us. So by default, anyone who becomes anything great is going to be a "hero", even if their character doesn't fit the billing (see: Kanye west). And in these cases it is more painful because youre rooting for a jackass....but theyre "your" jackass. It has to be ours because we dont get anything else except guns and drugs dumped into our neighborhoods. Anyone from here will tell you that.
(I moved away with my fiancee, but most of my family still lives in the area)

When you leave this part of the country and become great, it means maybe more than it would in a lot of other cases. Derrick Rose is a very flawed human being and no longer any good at basketball. It hurts to see, even though we've moved on. It'll hurt less when achieved greatness becomes more commonplace here, particularly outside of sports and more into things that affect daily life.

Much of that instinctively makes sense to me, and it was never anything puzzling. My problem comes in where just because of this, people had lower expectations from him, they made excuses, or flat denied the reality of his failures. He was disappointing in ways, and somehow his birthplace makes it ok. That I dont get. I'm a (southwest side) Chicagoan that enjoys seeing Chicagoans do good. Although I'm not a south or west side Chicagoan, I never needed to be to feel some connection anyway. But, dont we need standards of conduct? I'm not proud of all Chicagoans just because. As a Chicago Bull, I used to have the hometown pride and I felt a need to defend him once. Yet that doesnt come with unconditional love. And I don't believe every South or west side Chicagoan has unconditional love either. Many shake their heads too.

Regardless, people are different, no question. And some will love him no matter what he does, because for them he was Derrick Rose from the south side first. Chicago Bull second. And he could shoot another Chicagoan in the middle of Daley Plaza and get away with it.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Post#126 » by SeniorWalker » Fri Feb 9, 2018 11:55 pm

fleet wrote:
SeniorWalker wrote:
DanTown8587 wrote:

Bingo. It's not something that anyone can be made to understand who didn't grow up in those circumstances, nor should said person necessarily accept it. It's irrational, emotional. We all know it and still support him blindly. Anyone who was raised on that side of the city, extreme violence as it is, shares a brotherhood in that no one expects much from us. So by default, anyone who becomes anything great is going to be a "hero", even if their character doesn't fit the billing (see: Kanye west). And in these cases it is more painful because youre rooting for a jackass....but theyre "your" jackass. It has to be ours because we dont get anything else except guns and drugs dumped into our neighborhoods. Anyone from here will tell you that.
(I moved away with my fiancee, but most of my family still lives in the area)

When you leave this part of the country and become great, it means maybe more than it would in a lot of other cases. Derrick Rose is a very flawed human being and no longer any good at basketball. It hurts to see, even though we've moved on. It'll hurt less when achieved greatness becomes more commonplace here, particularly outside of sports and more into things that affect daily life.

That instinctively makes sense to me, and it was never anything puzzling. My problem comes in where just because of this, people had lower expectations from him, they made excuses, or flat denied the reality of his failures . He was disappointing in many ways, and somehow his birthplace makes it ok. That I dont get.

I don't think anything was made "ok" because of where he was born. Its just that people continue to root for him anyway, hoping he'd make it at the top. People trying to make excuses for him is the irrational, emotional side of it. When people make arguments for Rose that are not based on anything he actually did, basketball-related or not, that's where it comes from. And it doesn't require that folks like you understand it. You're perfectly in your right to dislike Rose for reasons that are completely reasonable to dislike someone. And you certainly don't have to listen to us talk about what could have been or anything like that, or delude ourselves into thinking he might have legs for one more comeback. You already know where its coming from. That also doesn't mean people are completely unreaosnable every time they speak positively on behalf of Derrick Rose. Contrary to the belief of some, it is still easily possible to view him as a well-meaning but misunderstood person, even with his many flaws. And to remember the time he gave us at the top of his game.

Edit: and if he shoots someone in the middle of Daley plaza, its probable that we'll adjust our view on him being a cold blooded murderer. But somehow I think we're pretty far from that.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#127 » by fleet » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:03 am

^^^ well, your priorities are in better shape than mine. You love him as a person. I loved him as a Bull. I'm not going to question why it is like that, I'm sure the reason these feelings come up are well-earned. This must be the source of the disconnect.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,885

Post#128 » by MAQ » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:05 am

fleet wrote:Regardless, people are different, no question. And some will love him no matter what he does, because for them he was Derrick Rose from the south side first. Chicago Bull second. And he could shoot another Chicagoan in the middle of Daley Plaza and get away with it.

And it's points like this that prove both "sides" are irrational and crazy.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#129 » by fleet » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:08 am

MAQ wrote:
fleet wrote:Regardless, people are different, no question. And some will love him no matter what he does, because for them he was Derrick Rose from the south side first. Chicago Bull second. And he could shoot another Chicagoan in the middle of Daley Plaza and get away with it.

And it's points like this that prove both "sides" are irrational and crazy.

It was a joke. You familiar with the POTUS? Anyway. Probably forced that one.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#130 » by Red Larrivee » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:10 am

At this point, I think Rose is going to retire at the end of the season. This fall from grace has been so historical and I think he's done rehabbing injuries. Thibodeau may be his last chance to hold on.

I don't see him ever playing another minute for the Bulls. A one-day contract is the most I see happening when he retires.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,130

Post#131 » by League Circles » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:12 am

I just love him cause he never acted silly like a millenial like most of the league now days. I always saw him as quiet, old school and a great teammate, which is rare for that special talent. I just think the injures traumatized him and made him make commitment mistakes and afraid to play defense or something. That's it in a nutshell for me.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#132 » by sco » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:22 am

League Circles wrote:I just love him cause he never acted silly like a millenial like most of the league now days. I always saw him as quiet, old school and a great teammate, which is rare for that special talent. I just think the injures traumatized him and made him make commitment mistakes and afraid to play defense or something. That's it in a nutshell for me.

Dude you just re-defined Rose-colored glasses. :lol:
:clap:
keloms
Veteran
And1: 1,933

Post#133 » by keloms » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:46 am

Red Larrivee wrote:At this point, I think Rose is going to retire at the end of the season. This fall from grace has been so historical and I think he's done rehabbing injuries. Thibodeau may be his last chance to hold on.

I don't see him ever playing another minute for the Bulls. A one-day contract is the most I see happening when he retires.

If he retires his contract with Adidas ends so he likely would try overseas first if no NBA offers come in.
PMONSTER
Head Coach
And1: 1,301

Post#134 » by PMONSTER » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:04 am

I watched those Cleveland games, and no way you can convince me that IT is better than Rose. None.

Why am I talking about IT? Because that short player, with the bad hip , arrogant attitude , and big mouth is still about to command at least the mid level exception

It's not the skill, but how do you convince people do you want to play basketball? He's going to have about 20 regular season games and some playoff games to prove that to people. Good luck with that!
NBA Playoffs.... I can never wait!
Risk Addict
Analyst
And1: 236

Post#135 » by Risk Addict » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:17 pm

I'd sign him to the Windy City Bulls. He'd fill that stadium up. What does his adidas contract say? Does he have to play in the NBA? Will G-league suffice to collect that pay-check. It could actually end up being the best thing for him. Get his swagger back, be close to home, completely dominate as a ball dominant non-passer. Very low stress environment.

Think about it Rose. Come on home to the Windy City!!!
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,494

Post#136 » by dice » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:32 pm

PMONSTER wrote:I watched those Cleveland games, and no way you can convince me that IT is better than Rose. None.

Why am I talking about IT? Because that short player, with the bad hip , arrogant attitude , and big mouth is still about to command at least the mid level exception

It's not the skill, but how do you convince people do you want to play basketball? He's going to have about 20 regular season games and some playoff games to prove that to people. Good luck with that!

uh...IT was bad for a handful of games after a season where he was an MVP contender. derrick rose has been bad at basketball for years. he wouldn't be in the league if not for distant glories
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,494

Post#137 » by dice » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:33 pm

Risk Addict wrote:I'd sign him to the Windy City Bulls. He'd fill that stadium up.

no he wouldn't. he might fill the local YMCA - no paying customers
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
bulls4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 571

Post#138 » by bulls4ever » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:40 am

i liked him for being "dumb" and just tell the media his "truth" instead of the old political correct answers..
as .. want to take care of his body to have better life for his boy. Many would do the same but would just not say the "truth"

i didnt like him cause he was weak and soft. regardless of multiple injuries.. he was health after first but wanted to come back only when 120% good. to me, at that point he gave up being a super star

i liked him as a bull player. prior to the injury, he was just great. would bring hope and joy to all of us.
m
Call 911, the tank is dying alive, tank you very much

WindyCityBorn wrote:If JJJ and Bamba end up better barring injuries I'll eat a piece of a shoe!
Ugly Duckling
Veteran
And1: 1,532

Post#139 » by Ugly Duckling » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:53 am

A lot of teams could use a servicable backup PG, ourselves included. I think he should go to a Western Conference playoff team like the Wolves, Blazers, Thunder or Nuggets. Conversely, he could go to Memphis if they give him the keys for the rest of the season with Conley out. Maybe his old stomping grounds will reinvigorate him
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#140 » by BR0D1E86 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:06 am

d-rose [heroes] wrote:A lot of teams could use a servicable backup PG,

Which has what to do with Rose?

Return to Chicago Bulls