Image ImageImage Image

2018 Draft Thread #6

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

2018 Draft Thread #6 

Post#1 » by DASMACKDOWN » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:36 pm

go bulls!
The Cult of Personality
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Re: 2018 Draft Thread #6 

Post#2 » by DASMACKDOWN » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:38 pm

Benedict Miller wrote:
Dresden wrote:
erlim wrote:
I still don't understand why people here don't want Ayton. Physical ability and polish are very elite. If you just read these boards you would think he's like some short and fat halfwit bum who is terrified at the thought of playing sports.

I don't think he is very polished. We keep hearing about how nice his jump shot and 3 pt shot are, but I never see him make more than 1 or maybe 2 of these a game. He flashes the occasional nice move in the post, but if he were truly polished in that regard, he would be showing that 10 times per game or more. I see a lot of rawness, coupled with fantastic physical frame and strength and speed, and some hints of an offensive arsenal. But far from being polished. Bagley, for instance, looks far more polished when it comes to finishing around the rim than Ayton does.

While I do like Bagley and his ability to finish around the rim, Bagley hasn't necessarily shown to consistently knock down the midrange shot like Ayton. Also, I don't see holes in Ayton's attack like you've suggested before.

Read on Twitter
The Cult of Personality
aguifs
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,436

Post#3 » by aguifs » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:41 pm

Dončić choked big time against Barcelona... How will he handle the NBA? He didn't look good at all!
#FIREAKME #BOYCOTTABULL #REINSDORKSELLTHEFRANCHISE
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#4 » by erlim » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:56 pm

aguifs wrote:Dončić choked big time against Barcelona... How will he handle the NBA? He didn't look good at all!

Besides the Warriors players, most basketball players have inexplicable bad nights.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,874

Post#5 » by Dresden » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:59 pm

In that game v. UNLV, didn't McCoy actually outscore Ayton in that game though? If Ayton is so consistent with his outside shot, how come I never see him take more a couple of them per game? I wonder if there is a stat on how well he shoots from the perimeter.
JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,591

Post#6 » by JohnnyTapwater » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:06 pm

1. Ayton
2. Porter Jr.
3. Doncic
4. Bagley
5. JJJ
6. Bamba
7. Young
8. Carter
9. Knox
10. Mikal
11. Miles
12. Sexton
leo921
Senior
And1: 216

Post#7 » by leo921 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:51 pm

Bulls pick - Currently 8th, think we can get to 4th. Higher with lotto luck

Best Fits for us in order:
Ayton - 2 7ft monsters who can play both sides of the ball. Lauri outside in, Ayton inside out. Last year people thought Lauri was a poor defender in college, in the pros we find he is a good man and team defender. I believe that Ayton will look better in the pros just like Lauri. I also like that both can't be exploited in the pick and roll by other teams.

Doncic - Can play on or off ball as we saw in Eurobasket with Dragic. We can really push the pace and give everyone good shots. Dunn, Lavine, Doncic and Lauri can rebound and push the ball in transition. He can either get others easy baskets or score himself on 3s, pullups, drives and ball handling. He would make it difficult for other teams as we would have 4 solid scoring options and can play a number of different ways.

Jaren Jackson - 6-10 7-4 wingspan. Mobile long athletic hits 3s (43%), blocks shots (3.5) steal a game. Getting better attacking his man and attacking closeouts. Will be better in the Pros with strength training, coaching, and better spacing. Him and Lauri can shut down the paint with there length and score on the other end. With Jackson, Lauri, Lavine and Dunn can play both uptempo, drive and kick, and be great defensively.

Michael Porter - 6-10 7-0 wingspan. Good shooting, tall, athelic SF. In the pros I see him becoming a Rashard Lewis type mismatch. Can both post and shoot over most of SF's and can also switch to PF in small ball lineups. Doesnt have the ball handling skills yet to be a top scorer but will be a solid second option.

Mikal Bridges - 6-7 7-1 wingspan. Will be a 2 way stud, shutdown guys, good slasher and in transition, can hit 3s (43%). Think he can be some where between Ariza and Butler. Would love to get one of the above guys then trade NO pick and Portis for the rights to Mikal. Will become a great 3 and D guy in the NBA.

Bamba - 7-0 7-9 wingspan. Think of him as a better Rudy Gobert, just as good shotblocker and rebounder, better touch in the paint and developing a solid mid range shot and trying on 3s. Him and Lauri would shut down the paint with there length and would not get beat in pick and roll. He is starting to break down his man more on offense too. If he can do good in the pick and roll as a rim runner who can occasionally pop then he will be really good.

NO Pick - 17th pick currently
Best Fits for us
Dzanan Musa - 6-9 Euro sharpshooter and scorer, not good on D. I think he can be a star scoring 6th man. He and Nwaba off the bench would be killing teams. If Asik ever regains lockdown form we can have a nice bench mob. Grant-Nwaba-Valentine-Musa-Asik.

Bates - Diop - 6-7 SF who can post, hit 3s, and attack the basket. Will be a solid scorer and complementary player in the NBA

Gilgeous-Alexander - 6-6 6-11 wingspan. Plays PG but can easily play PG SG SF when needed. Think some time with Hobeig will help. Can drive but just a okay shooter, lot of potential.

Anfernee Simmions - 6-4 SG from HS. Lots of potential smooth scorer. Think coaching from Hoberg and time with guys like Dunn,Laving, Lauri will bring big improvement. Be a bigger help in years 2-3.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#8 » by DroseReturnChi » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:56 pm

erlim wrote:
aguifs wrote:Dončić choked big time against Barcelona... How will he handle the NBA? He didn't look good at all!

Besides the Warriors players, most basketball players have inexplicable bad nights.

I am just curious why these Euro players all have terrible body conditioning from Mitotic to Doncic?
I guess they only care about honing their skills and teamwork they dont even take care of themselves carefully despite being a pro.
This is why there are these stereotypes on Euros which clearly affected LM's stock although he played for Arizona.
That said, I am confident of drafting Euro bigs since guys like Jokic have proven in the big stage but wings should be taken with more caution. Guys like Rubio and Gallinari arent most encouraging product from the Euro region and how better is Doncic as a prospect compared to them is the big question. There's just not enough data to compare since he's not playing for NCAA but I wish he went against Young and Sexton and see how he performs.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
3noD
Sixth Man
And1: 562

Post#9 » by 3noD » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:56 pm

JohnnyTapwater wrote:1. Ayton
2. Porter Jr.
3. Doncic
4. Bagley
5. JJJ
6. Bamba
7. Young
8. Carter
9. Knox
10. Mikal
11. Miles
12. Sexton

That looks about right

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Benedict Miller
General Manager
And1: 2,074

Post#10 » by Benedict Miller » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:57 pm

Interesting stat I just read. Only 3 players under 20 years old in NCAA history have averaged 19 and 10 with a true shooting of 65.0 or better. David Robinson, Blake Griffin and Deandre Ayton.
Davell
Junior
And1: 242

Post#11 » by Davell » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:58 pm

To 3noD.....

Shooting-wise, I think I'd go Mikal first, then Walker based on what I think he CAN be, over what he is currently. Miles and Brown are about even for me, followed by Sexton. But, I'm just not wanting Sexton, so I may not be fair, in my ranking of him last. To me, he forces things a bit much and for some reason I don't see that changing.

Again, its a projectability thing with all these guys. Numbers show I'm wrong here too admittedly.
Davell
Junior

Post#12 » by Davell » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:03 pm

With all these teams tanking, I don't see any real shot of us passing up Phoenix, Memphis, Atlanta, Sacramento, or Orlando. I think Dallas, New Jersey, and New York finish behind us, once all's said and done. Slight chance of Memphis winning a few more than I'd think.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#13 » by WindyCityBorn » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:19 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:
erlim wrote:

I am just curious why these Euro players all have terrible body conditioning from Mitotic to Doncic?
I guess they only care about honing their skills and teamwork they dont even take care of themselves carefully despite being a pro.
This is why there are these stereotypes on Euros which clearly affected LM's stock although he played for Arizona.
That said, I am confident of drafting Euro bigs since guys like Jokic have proven in the big stage but wings should be taken with more caution. Guys like Rubio and Gallinari arent most encouraging product from the Euro region and how better is Doncic as a prospect compared to them is the big question. There's just not enough data to compare since he's not playing for NCAA but I wish he went against Young and Sexton and see how he performs.

Doncic is a SF so he wouldn't be going against those guys head to head. He might run the team, but I don't see him doing it at PG.
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#14 » by erlim » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:20 pm

Davell wrote:With all these teams tanking, I don't see any real shot of us passing up Phoenix, Memphis, Atlanta, Sacramento, or Orlando. I think Dallas, New Jersey, and New York finish behind us, once all's said and done. Slight chance of Memphis winning a few more than I'd think.

Not every franchise is lucky enough to have a G-League team, we ought to flip flop our regular roster with the Windy City Bulls, let our core be monsters in Hoffman Estates, and then tank in the most exquisite manner in the NBA.
TheHrvReport
Bench Warmer
And1: 798

Post#15 » by TheHrvReport » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:31 pm

Ayton
Bagley
Doncic
Bamba
JJJ
MPJ
Carter
Young
Mikal Bridges
Miles Bridges

Best fits for the team: Ayton, Bamba, and JJJ..we need a star big man.

I don't know why anyone would believe Mikal would be available with the Pelicans pick which will likely be #14-#17. He is much more likely to be picked 8th or 9th than 14th or 15th.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#16 » by GimmeDat » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:37 pm

I've seen Ayton hit more than a couple of J's heaps if times.. if there's any criticism to make it's that he falls back on his jumper too much instead of abusing people with his size.
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,440

Post#17 » by ImSlower » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:54 pm

Man, this draft has to be the most-debated one in so long. I love it. There are guys here with great arguments for practically each of the top 7 being their top guy. We are going to be one or two picks away from a perennial all star, above or below. Someone's gonna a total flame-out. Next year is gonna be so nuts. I want this one over already!
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#18 » by Red Larrivee » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:08 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:
erlim wrote:

Rubio and Gallinari were not better prospects than Doncic. All hype isn't created equally.
Davell
Junior

Post#19 » by Davell » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:24 pm

As an option, what about this......Granted, I'm not sure I'd even do it, but its an idea anyway......Previously, I was deadset against trading up, but anyhow.....

Let's say we're drafting 5th or later.....

Would you trade that pick, with the Pelicans pick, and whatever else is needed(not our core 3) to move up to insure getting one of Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, or Bamba?(names borderline immaterial here, as they may change-just figure that's where the first drop off is)

After securing one of the elite 4, you then target one of Capela, Gordon, Hood, or whoever to fill the opposite of the 3 or 5 that you didn't draft.....

Example being draft Ayton, Bagley, or Bamba, then sign Gordon or Hood. Draft Doncic and sign Capela.

If you could somehow pull it off, it'd be a hell of an exciting starting 5, in my mind. With some financial flexibility left too.

I'm not sold on it, but I think I'd seriously consider it, if the situation lends itself....
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#20 » by Red Larrivee » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:37 pm

Davell wrote:As an option, what about this......Granted, I'm not sure I'd even do it, but its an idea anyway......Previously, I was deadset against trading up, but anyhow.....

Let's say we're drafting 5th or later.....

Would you trade that pick, with the Pelicans pick, and whatever else is needed(not our core 3) to move up to insure getting one of Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, or Bamba?(names borderline immaterial here, as they may change-just figure that's where the first drop off is)

After securing one of the elite 4, you then target one of Capela, Gordon, Hood, or whoever to fill the opposite of the 3 or 5 that you didn't draft.....

Example being draft Ayton, Bagley, or Bamba, then sign Gordon or Hood. Draft Doncic and sign Capela.

If you could somehow pull it off, it'd be a hell of an exciting starting 5, in my mind. With some financial flexibility left too.

I'm not sold on it, but I think I'd seriously consider it, if the situation lends itself....

It really depends on the draft order. A perceived shot at consolidating two firsts and a young rotation player for a Top 4 pick doesn't come without risks. Especially in a draft that doesn't have a cosensus order of talent.

Return to Chicago Bulls