Image ImageImage Image

Is Jimmy Butler the most selfish in the NBA?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,640

Is Jimmy Butler the most selfish in the NBA? 

Post#1 » by DuckIII » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:56 pm

As usual, I spent zero seconds of my life watching the NBA Allstar game. And then woke up to find out about this:

“Rest,” Butler said when asked why he didn’t play. “I have to rest. I have to rest my body up. This Timberwolves season is very, very important to me. I’ve got to make sure I’m ready to roll when I get back there.”

What a load of horse ****.

This is next level primadonna stuff. Has an allstar even been this much of a selfish ass hole before, ever? I don't remember anyone having ever taken a allstar spot away from another player and then refusing to play in the game.

I've seen guys play token minutes lots of times (and for a variety of reasons, some of them admirable), but that's different. This is taking the honor and potentially once in a lifetime opportunity away from another player and then pissing on it. Its like holding out a loaf of bread in front of a starving person and then throwing it in the ocean.

Knowing Butler, we (or more specifically Lou Williams) won't be getting an apology for this.

I'm a Butler fan. Even though I wanted him traded for team building purposes, I backed him up amidst all of the claims that he'd gone Hollywood and turned into a selfish teammate and player, was a locker room cancer, etc. But an action like this speaks volumes about a person's character and selfishness.

edited the title since it's upsetting People.-RB23
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Re: Is Jimmy Butler the most selfish prick in the NBA? 

Post#2 » by Hangtime84 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:59 pm

Damn Jimmy
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,901

Post#3 » by biggestbullsfan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:00 pm

I mean it could be he has a lingering injury or soreness and doesn’t want to make it worse in the all star game. It might be not bad enough to keep him out but bad enough to hurt his overall season if worsened
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#4 » by League Circles » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:05 pm

It is kind of a jackass move, maybe in his mind he was protesting, publicly, either the NBA's schedule and/or Thibbs usage of him. IDK
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#5 » by Axolotl » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:06 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:I mean it could be he has a lingering injury or soreness and doesn’t want to make it worse in the all star game. It might be not bad enough to keep him out but bad enough to hurt his overall season if worsened

Of course it could. But then he should have pulled himself out instead of a no-show. Someone else might actually have appreciated the opportunity to play in the All-Star game.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Post#6 » by Susan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:06 pm

DuckIII wrote:As usual, I spent zero seconds of my life watching the NBA Allstar game. And then woke up to find out about this:

“Rest,” Butler said when asked why he didn’t play. “I have to rest. I have to rest my body up. This Timberwolves season is very, very important to me. I’ve got to make sure I’m ready to roll when I get back there.”

This is next level primadonna stuff. Has an allstar even been this much of a selfish ass hole before, ever? I don't remember anyone having ever taken a allstar spot away from another player and then refusing to play in the game.

I've seen guys play token minutes lots of times (and for a variety of reasons, some of them admirable), but that's different. This is taking the honor and potentially once in a lifetime opportunity away from another player and then pissing on it. Its like holding out a loaf of bread in front of a starving person and then throwing it in the ocean.

Knowing Butler, we (or more specifically Lou Williams) won't be getting an apology for this.

I'm a Butler fan. Even though I wanted him trade for team building purposes, I backed him up amidst all of the claims that he'd gone Hollywood and turned into a selfish teammate and player, was a locker room cancer, etc. But an action like this speaks volumes about a person's character and selfishness.

Nope!
biggestbullsfan
RealGM

Post#7 » by biggestbullsfan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:11 pm

Axolotl wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:I mean it could be he has a lingering injury or soreness and doesn’t want to make it worse in the all star game. It might be not bad enough to keep him out but bad enough to hurt his overall season if worsened

Of course it could. But then he should have pulled himself out instead of a no-show. Someone else might actually have appreciated the opportunity to play in the All-Star game.

I don’t disagree. But i was just putting it into context
ArizonaBullsFan
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#8 » by ArizonaBullsFan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:18 pm

We don't know for sure who would have replaced Jimmy, but it could have been someone who has a bonus in their contract for making the All-Star team. It's bad enough to deny a player what could be his only shot ever at being an All-Star, but it takes things to a whole new level if said player also got dicked out some money.

Jimmy is making the max, so there's no way he has an All-Star bounus. If he wanted to still have the honor of being an All-Star and enjoy the fringe benefits that All-Star weekend brings, say you twisted you ankle and you need an injury replacement.

"Most selfish prick" isn't measured in advanced stats, but if it were, this puts Jimmy right among the league leaders.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by DuckIII » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:18 pm

Unless it happened when he was changing for the game, that's not a legitimate excuse. He should have notified the NBA well in advance so another player could enjoy the honor. I mentioned Lou Williams for two reasons: (a) He was probably next up after George got in; and (b) He'll probably never get another opportunity to make the team on merit.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by DuckIII » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:20 pm

Susan wrote:
DuckIII wrote:As usual, I spent zero seconds of my life watching the NBA Allstar game. And then woke up to find out about this:

I'm a Butler fan. Even though I wanted him trade for team building purposes, I backed him up amidst all of the claims that he'd gone Hollywood and turned into a selfish teammate and player, was a locker room cancer, etc. But an action like this speaks volumes about a person's character and selfishness.

Nope!

2nd biggest prick? 4th biggest? 10th? I mean, it happened. And I'm struggling to think of a narrative that would permit giving him a pass. So regardless of where you put him, he's on the list.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by DuckIII » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:21 pm

League Circles wrote:It is kind of a jackass move, maybe in his mind he was protesting, publicly, either the NBA's schedule and/or Thibbs usage of him. IDK

Still not a legitimate reason to keep the honor for yourself and then piss on it. He could protest it just as effectively by refusing the honor.

Regardless, for a protest to mean anything people need to know its being protested.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,609

Post#12 » by Ice Man » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:28 pm

I think he should have faked an injury and begged out of the game. It's one thing to say, as was first reported, "Don't hurry to get me in, coach. I could use some rest." It's another to refuse to play, which is what Duck's quote suggests.
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#13 » by RememberLu » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:29 pm

I find it hard to care about this. Maybe if it was a Bulls player that got bumped so Jimmy could sit. But it was Lou Williams, who cares?
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,312

Post#14 » by coldfish » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:34 pm

Its honestly just weird. Going in for a few minutes, jacking up a few shots, not playing defense and laughing with your buddies, like what a lot of all stars do, doesn't take much energy. Its not like he was seriously going to alter his entire season by doing that.

Either:
- He is too stupid to know that
- What he said is masking something else

Regardless of what the truth of the matter is, Jimmy has a Derrick Rose level mastery of dealing with the media.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM

Post#15 » by biggestbullsfan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:34 pm

DuckIII wrote:

Unless it happened when he was changing for the game, that's not a legitimate excuse. He should have notified the NBA well in advance so another player could enjoy the honor. I mentioned Lou Williams for two reasons: (a) He was probably next up after George got in; and (b) He'll probably never get another opportunity to make the team on merit.

Lol im not in disagreement. I was just trying to show both sides of the argument.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#16 » by Ccwatercraft » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:36 pm

given the fact that IMO the entire weekend was a waste this situation doesn't change my mind on anything.

If he refused to play fine, be angry, if he just said that PT wasn't important then lighten up francis.

in the big picture this really is nothing at all, but maybe i'm one of those types that doesn't get riled up over fluff.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by DuckIII » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:37 pm

RememberLu wrote:I find it hard to care about this. Maybe if it was a Bulls player that got bumped so Jimmy could sit. But it was Lou Williams, who cares?

Lou Williams cares. Jokic cares. Its called human empathy.

Limiting your ability to appreciate the moral and ethical implications of actions that don't in any way directly impact you is pathetic.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by DuckIII » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:38 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Lol im not in disagreement. I was just trying to show both sides of the argument.

I get that. But not every argument has two legitimate sides.
E-DC
Sophomore
And1: 182

Post#19 » by E-DC » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:38 pm

http://www.startribune.com/for-jimmy-butler-it-s-all-about-winning-with-the-timberwolves/470414053/

A Jimmy Butler interview from a month ago.

Q: Do you care Lonzo Ball ranked above you in All-Star Game fan balloting?

A: I don’t give a damn. To tell you the truth, I don’t even want to play in the All-Star Game. I pride myself on guarding and playing hard. Like, leave me out of it.

Q: Yeah, there’s no place for those things in the All-Star Game, is there?

A: No, I’m cool. Let me go on vacation with DeAndre Jordan or something like that. That’s what I was planning.
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#20 » by RememberLu » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:39 pm

DuckIII wrote:
RememberLu wrote:I find it hard to care about this. Maybe if it was a Bulls player that got bumped so Jimmy could sit. But it was Lou Williams, who cares?

Lou Williams cares. Jokic cares. Its called human empathy.

Limiting your ability to appreciate the moral and ethical implications of actions that don't in any way directly impact you is pathetic.

Let Lou Williams and Jokic care then, I'm not wasting my limited amount of cares on this pettiness. Why does this have you so fired up?

Return to Chicago Bulls