Image ImageImage Image

I wish Jerry Reinsdorf had this mindset

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

JockItch43
Analyst
And1: 351

I wish Jerry Reinsdorf had this mindset 

Post#1 » by JockItch43 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:36 am

Reading this latest wiretap article on the 76ers owner Josh Harris really got me thinking about our situation.

While I was and still am on the fire GarPax bandwagon, I’ve conceeded that’s just not going to happen. I also believe at this stage of the rebuild, they can really prove their worth. History has proven they have a strong aptitude at talent evaluation in the draft. As long as the picks fall our way I’m confident they will do well acquiring talent.

My issue with GarPax has been that they have repeatedly shown they can build a team but they just don’t have what it takes to take the organization to the next level once the foundation is in place. Trades, landing big fish in the free agency market, the track record isn’t good.

Much like how some teams have coaches that specialize in developing young talent and then aquire different coaching to take their team to a different level, that’s what I feel must be done with this management team to take us to that championship level.

The 76ers owner recognizes it, he credits Hinkie with establishing their foundation. He also mentions Colangelo is the better fit now for this stage of “the process”... to get them to the promised land.

That should be the ultimate goal and priority... changes should be made once we transition to a playoff level team. But unfortunately I don’t see Jerry having that type of vision, he is either too loyal or too oblivious to see it. Reading this article just frustrated me as a Bulls fan.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/249559/76ers-On-Their-Way-To-Sustainable-Excellence
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,386

Re: I wish Jerry Reinsdorf had this mindset 

Post#2 » by Hangtime84 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:40 am

It's like people didn't listen to Paxson post-game interview.

He openly admitted what the 76ers is a model is a good example to follow.

This is all in spite of him saying him not liking to "lose in order to win"
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,153

Post#3 » by League Circles » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:50 am

Bulls have had ZERO chance to show whether they know what to do to tweak a great team into a winner. The only time they ever had a great team was summer 2011 which was a lock out. The following season they were again the league's #1 and Derrick got hurt in game 1.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
JockItch43
Analyst

Post#4 » by JockItch43 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:50 am

Hangtime84 wrote:It's like people didn't listen to Paxson post-game interview.

I’m not sure you’re following the point of this post because this doesn’t have anything to do with it.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,386

Post#5 » by Hangtime84 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:57 am

JockItch43 wrote:
Hangtime84 wrote:It's like people didn't listen to Paxson post-game interview.

I’m not sure you’re following the point of this post because this doesn’t have anything to do with it.

I disagree
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,549

Post#6 » by Dominator83 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:47 pm

Colangelo is God awful. All he's done is squander Hinkie assets. 2 prime picks for Markelle Fultz. They would be in so much better shape if not for that trade. Hinkie drafted Embiid, he was responsible for them being #1 in the Simmons draft, he drafted Saric, found Covington, etc. The only good rotation guy Colangelo is responsible for is Reddick.

But the Fultz trade is looking to turn out worse than the Doug McDermott fiasco. Atleast Gar/Pax wasted 2 mid 1sts. Colangelo is likely to end up spending 2 top 5 picks on Fultz.

Hinkie put them in prime position to contend and ownership didn't have his back. And it's not like they dumped him for Jerry West or RC Bruford. It was Brian effing Colangelo!!

I wouldn't want an owner like that running our team
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,578

Post#7 » by DuckIII » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:57 pm

I get the desire to find every conceivable way there is to trash the Bulls, but Bryan Colangelo’s entire career as the GM for 3 separate organizations is built upon the home run free agency signing of Steve Nash. The rest of his career has been average at best and at times downright a wful.

He got this job based strictly on the old boy network and nepotism, not because Philly’s owner has some sort of admirable, envious vision for team building.

If Bryan Colangelo’s name was Brian Coleman he’d already be out of the NBA.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,303

Post#8 » by coldfish » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:04 pm

As others noted, Brian Colangelo is a flaming idiot. If anything, the fact that their owner fell for his dad's routine makes him a fool too. Colangelo, in the course of one offseason, basically trashed Philly's future (which was immense).

Brian Colangelo makes me like Gar Forman more, which is saying a lot.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#9 » by Mech Engineer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:34 pm

How about we stop with the retreads especially GMs who are old mentality types or have had opportunities because of nepotism whether it is Paxson or Colangelo. Both are around because of the good old boys network.

You need a fresh mind who is data driven but also egoless to employ a Jerry West type as an assistant or consultant.

Hinkie's process got 2 studs but that process probably cannot be repeated as Silver is on to disrupt them. You need a diluted or a different approach. And, that's life....Colangelo might be lucky enough to reap the benefits of a Hinkie and become known as a great GM.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#10 » by musiqsoulchild » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:08 pm

JockItch43 wrote:Reading this latest wiretap article on the 76ers owner Josh Harris really got me thinking about our situation.

While I was and still am on the fire GarPax bandwagon, I’ve conceeded that’s just not going to happen. I also believe at this stage of the rebuild, they can really prove their worth. History has proven they have a strong aptitude at talent evaluation in the draft. As long as the picks fall our way I’m confident they will do well acquiring talent.

My issue with GarPax has been that they have repeatedly shown they can build a team but they just don’t have what it takes to take the organization to the next level once the foundation is in place. Trades, landing big fish in the free agency market, the track record isn’t good.

Much like how some teams have coaches that specialize in developing young talent and then aquire different coaching to take their team to a different level, that’s what I feel must be done with this management team to take us to that championship level.

The 76ers owner recognizes it, he credits Hinkie with establishing their foundation. He also mentions Colangelo is the better fit now for this stage of “the process”... to get them to the promised land.

That should be the ultimate goal and priority... changes should be made once we transition to a playoff level team. But unfortunately I don’t see Jerry having that type of vision, he is either too loyal or too oblivious to see it. Reading this article just frustrated me as a Bulls fan.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/249559/76ers-On-Their-Way-To-Sustainable-Excellence

The NBA ownership group met , reamed out the Sixers and their owner.

They then forced the Hinkie firing. And had their prime stooge - Colangelo installed in Philly.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/14317233/nba-owners-lobbied-league-office-philadelphia-76ers-changes

Basically, the NBA as a collective did not approve of the ownership style of Joshua and forced him to make the changes necessary by installing their own man.
wickywack
Junior
And1: 293

Post#11 » by wickywack » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:48 pm

JockItch43 wrote:My issue with GarPax has been that they have repeatedly shown they can build a team but they just don’t have what it takes to take the organization to the next level once the foundation is in place. Trades, landing big fish in the free agency market, the track record isn’t good.

IMHO, that's less on the front office and more on ownership. Reinsdorf is conservative by nature with money, and he certainly has final say in any big deals. Gar, Pax, Krause, whoever, have to play within the fiscal constraints that he imposes. When it comes to trades, Bulls look for fiscally neutral at worst: they don't seem to be willing to take on significant salary or unload expiring contracts to make a deal work. Even with the Ben Wallace free agency signing back in the day, it appears that Pax had to dump Tyson Chandler and his contract to get the green light.

As a contrast, look at the Rockets during Les Alexander's tenure as owner. Regardless of who the GM was, the Rockets went after and landed big name players: Drexler, Barkley, Pippen, Francis, McGrady, Howard, Harden, Paul. That risk-taking hasn't really led to more success though. Only the Drexler trade resulted in a title. The Bulls have had similar / more success in the same time period as far as winning (depending on what happens this year).
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#12 » by dice » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:10 pm

need more specific thread title so i don't have to enter just to find out what it's about
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#13 » by musiqsoulchild » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:42 pm

wickywack wrote:
JockItch43 wrote:My issue with GarPax has been that they have repeatedly shown they can build a team but they just don’t have what it takes to take the organization to the next level once the foundation is in place. Trades, landing big fish in the free agency market, the track record isn’t good.

IMHO, that's less on the front office and more on ownership. Reinsdorf is conservative by nature with money, and he certainly has final say in any big deals. Gar, Pax, Krause, whoever, have to play within the fiscal constraints that he imposes. When it comes to trades, Bulls look for fiscally neutral at worst: they don't seem to be willing to take on significant salary or unload expiring contracts to make a deal work. Even with the Ben Wallace free agency signing back in the day, it appears that Pax had to dump Tyson Chandler and his contract to get the green light.

As a contrast, look at the Rockets during Les Alexander's tenure as owner. Regardless of who the GM was, the Rockets went after and landed big name players: Drexler, Barkley, Pippen, Francis, McGrady, Howard, Harden, Paul. That risk-taking hasn't really led to more success though. Only the Drexler trade resulted in a title. The Bulls have had similar / more success in the same time period as far as winning (depending on what happens this year).

Exactly right. Especially the first part about future Cash flows and how that negatively impacts our Front Office from taking on long term salary.

That's the one thing that I wish we could ignore for just a couple of seasons.
GameBredAPBT
Veteran
And1: 1,611

Post#14 » by GameBredAPBT » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:39 pm

The Sixers are an awful franchise. They fell *** backwards into success. They have some of the shadiest ownership in pro sports

They need to tread extremely lightly if they want to retain their assets & parlay these picks into sustained success. It's still a gigantic question mark as to whether or not they can do any of this. No one has any confidence in them, including their fans, and for good reason.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#15 » by TheStig » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:35 pm

Dominater wrote:Colangelo is God awful. All he's done is squander Hinkie assets. 2 prime picks for Markelle Fultz. They would be in so much better shape if not for that trade. Hinkie drafted Embiid, he was responsible for them being #1 in the Simmons draft, he drafted Saric, found Covington, etc. The only good rotation guy Colangelo is responsible for is Reddick.

But the Fultz trade is looking to turn out worse than the Doug McDermott fiasco. Atleast Gar/Pax wasted 2 mid 1sts. Colangelo is likely to end up spending 2 top 5 picks on Fultz.

Hinkie put them in prime position to contend and ownership didn't have his back. And it's not like they dumped him for Jerry West or RC Bruford. It was Brian effing Colangelo!!

I wouldn't want an owner like that running our team

Exactly! They gave up a top 10 pick this year to move up two spots for Fultz. The ironic part is that they likely still get Fultz. The Celtics were very high on Tatum and the Lakers wanted Ball. It was silly. That's what you give up to move up in a draft with a distinct top 2 players.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#16 » by Leslie Forman » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:46 pm

I'll say this, Fultz is clearly going to be a damn good player if he just gets his shot back. That's just not something anybody could have predicted. And there is the strong chance that Boston would have just taken Tatum #1 if there was no trade, which would have left Fultz to LA, which means Philly might have been stuck with Lonzo or Josh Jackson.

Colangelo is still awful though. Even if he wins a title with this team everybody knows it was all Hinkie's work.
JockItch43
Analyst

Post#17 » by JockItch43 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:09 am

Maybe this thread was a fail but my point isn’t being exactly understood. I’m not jealous of Colangelo, nor do admire all of the owner’s decisions.

My point is just that I wish Reinsdorf had the mindset to recognize certain people can excel at certain things and get you so far along in “the process”. And just because they are good at that particular part, doesn’t mean they should be automatically rewarded if you feel their strengths don’t suite getting you to that next level. This is how I feel about GarPax, and that’s what this article made me think about.

I don’t think Jerry has that in him, and that’s the vision I wish we had with our owner.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,578

Post#18 » by DuckIII » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:18 am

Reinsdorf fired Collins and hired Jackson because he felt Collins had peaked out. He did the same thing when he fired Krause. These are both guys he loved and was extremely loyal towards. He’s not completely unwilling to shake things up.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
JockItch43
Analyst

Post#19 » by JockItch43 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:10 am

DuckIII wrote:Reinsdorf fired Collins and hired Jackson because he felt Collins had peaked out. He did the same thing when he fired Krause. These are both guys he loved and was extremely loyal towards. He’s not completely unwilling to shake things up.

Fair enough. I just hope he’s willing to do the same thing when that time comes and doesn’t get soft in his old age. My confidence isn’t high.
Sebastian
Head Coach
And1: 853

Post#20 » by Sebastian » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:01 pm

DuckIII wrote:Reinsdorf fired Collins and hired Jackson because he felt Collins had peaked out. He did the same thing when he fired Krause. These are both guys he loved and was extremely loyal towards. He’s not completely unwilling to shake things up.

Additionally, crossing over into baseball, Reinsdorf allowed Hahn to convince him to trade away three low cost stars just entering their prime and do a full tear down and rebuild, which is something he was adamantly against for decades. Now the White Sox are loaded with young talent and are in much better position to contend than if they trudged along patching together 82 win teams in a fight against bottoming out.

Reinsdorf isn't the world's best owner (doesn't open his wallet enough, chose the wrong spot to build Comiskey II, maybe too loyal to GarPax, etc) but he isn't totally stubborn and unwilling to rock the boat from time to time.

Return to Chicago Bulls