Image ImageImage Image

Chicago Bulls 18-19 Season Goal: Tank Again or Push for the Playoffs?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

What should the Bulls do next season?

Tank Again
50%
Push for the Playoffs
50%

Total votes: 135

cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,104

Re: Chicago Bulls 18-19 Season Goal: Tank Again or Push for the Playoffs? 

Post#41 » by cool007 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Let's look at it the other way.

I don't see Hawks/Magic/Knicks/Nets etc improving that much next year. Then you have Hornets, Bucks, Wizards, Cavs (maybe no LeBron?) etc probably looking to break up and restart. Meaning they could be worse than us.

So by default (internal improvement/natural growth) will give us a great opportunity to make the playoffs.

I like our chances at making the playoffs - at worse 7th or 8th seed.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,258

Post#42 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:56 pm

cool007 wrote:Let's look at it the other way.

I don't see Hawks/Magic/Knicks/Nets etc improving that much next year. Then you have Hornets, Bucks, Wizards, Cavs (maybe no LeBron?) etc probably looking to break up and restart. Meaning they could be worse than us.

So by default (internal improvement/natural growth) will give us a great opportunity to make the playoffs.

What does making the playoffs as a 7 or 8 seed provide us? Why trade Butler then?

Our chance at drafting elite talent ends if we make the playoffs next year. So we'd be looking at free agency or trades to accumulate all stars. Not easy to do.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,266

Post#43 » by kodo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:03 pm

Neither, Option C) Developmental Year.

You don't intentionally tank by screwing up lineups or trading your best players, but you also don't make "playoff or die" moves like trading your draft picks for cap space to sign for veterans like Sacramento did.

"Developmental Year" is basically like Minnesota last year, you play legit and we'll still probably be bad enough for an OKish pick. Heck, they would have gotten Markkanen in a year they were trying their best to get into the playoffs.

Our FO will then take a stab at the massive 2019 Free Agency, which I don't put any faith in but it's clear they're preparing for it.
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,698

Post#44 » by SfBull » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:54 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:

What does making the playoffs as a 7 or 8 seed provide us? Why trade Butler then?

Our chance at drafting elite talent ends if we make the playoffs next year. So we'd be looking at free agency or trades to accumulate all stars. Not easy to do.

There is a supposed weakness of the 2018 high school class
Maybe keep tanking isn´t so essential for the Bulls,perhaps the 2019 draft needs more scouting(but isn´t it an essential duty for any GM who wants to make a good draft?).
An excerpt from Espn Insider
The theme of 2019 -- as with most draft classes lately -- is extreme youth. The top 10 projected picks are currently teenagers, with only one -- Daniel Gafford, who surprisingly passed up being a likely top-20 pick in 2018 -- already enrolled in college. Young players, deservedly or not, get the benefit of the doubt in projections of this nature, but they will need to back it up in college, or they will see their stock crash quickly should they not produce as freshmen.

The 2019 crop is considered to be fairly shallow at the moment, with many NBA teams privately expressing frustration about the lack of elite prospects that have emerged, particularly from the graduating high school senior class. While likely more serious of a concern in this instance than in the past, this is not an uncommon refrain at this stage. After all, new prospects emerge suddenly every year seemingly out of the blue, while others improve drastically, which will add much-needed star power and depth to a group that is currently lacking in both departments.

For example, no one was talking about Donovan Mitchell, Luke Kennard, John Collins, Justin Patton or D.J. Wilson in April of 2016, but they all emerged over the course of the next year and became top-20 draft picks in 2017, with Mitchell now a strong contender for Rookie of the Year.

Similar things can be said about Trae Young, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Robert Williams, Zhaire Smith and to a lesser extent Mikal Bridges this year. All were unheralded to varying degrees coming out of high school and have emerged as likely top-20 draft picks in 2018. Sometimes patience is required with young players, who tend to develop at vastly different paces, even into their mid-20s, as we see with All-Stars such as Stephen Curry, Goran Dragic, Kyle Lowry, Draymond Green, Jimmy Butler, Marc Gasol, DeAndre Jordan, Paul Millsap, Isaiah Thomas and countless others.

The supposed weakness of the 2018 high school class certainly opens up the door for sophomores, juniors and seniors to emerge as top-20 draft picks in 2019, in not all that dissimilar a fashion to what we saw in the 2016 draft, in which 11 of the top 21 picks were neither freshmen nor teenagers.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#45 » by musiqsoulchild » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:58 pm

kodo wrote:Neither, Option C) Developmental Year.

You don't intentionally tank by screwing up lineups or trading your best players, but you also don't make "playoff or die" moves like trading your draft picks for cap space to sign for veterans like Sacramento did.

"Developmental Year" is basically like Minnesota last year, you play legit and we'll still probably be bad enough for an OKish pick. Heck, they would have gotten Markkanen in a year they were trying their best to get into the playoffs.

Our FO will then take a stab at the massive 2019 Free Agency, which I don't put any faith in but it's clear they're preparing for it.

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!

For me, all other methods are sub-optimal.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,011

Post#46 » by Am2626 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:03 pm

dougthonus wrote:You don't make any FA additions and try to win with whom you have. Halfway through the season, you can evaluate whether you want to switch to tanking and limiting good player minutes based on the results.

If Paul George or Demarcus Cousins wants to come to the Bulls are you saying the Bulls should not even consider it? As long as the free agent is a top 15 player now or a good young player with a lot of upside, there is no reason not to add a player like that this offseason. What has to be avoided is a second tier veteran that will do nothing but add a few wins and take playing time away from the young core.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,011

Post#47 » by Am2626 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:06 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:

It’s ok to be a 7-8 seed if the team consists of young players that haven’t hit their prime yet like the Bulls the year before Rose’s MVP season.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,806

Post#48 » by jc23 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:57 pm

Playoffs, rule change goes into effect next season so no reason to stank it up. Team is too talented to be bottom 3 anyway.
Be curious, Not judgmental
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,753

Post#49 » by dougthonus » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:27 am

Am2626 wrote:If Paul George or Demarcus Cousins wants to come to the Bulls are you saying the Bulls should not even consider it? As long as the free agent is a top 15 player now or a good young player with a lot of upside, there is no reason not to add a player like that this offseason. What has to be avoided is a second tier veteran that will do nothing but add a few wins and take playing time away from the young core.

The Bulls only have 26 million under the cap which is less than Paul George and DeMarcus Cousins are expected to command on the open market. They could get up to 35 million by renouncing LaVine as well, but it seems highly unlikely they'd do that.

Also seems highly unlikely that George would consider us since the Thunder and Lakers are both likely better options in his mind.

Cousins will have few suitors, and I hope we aren't one of them.

If the Bulls could get a tier 1 free agent (like Chris Paul or LeBron decides to join up), then yes, go for it though.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#50 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:53 pm

Rise or fall with Markkanen, Dunn and LaVine. Don't sign a single mediocre vet this offseason.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#51 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:55 pm

jc23 wrote:Playoffs, rule change goes into effect next season so no reason to stank it up. Team is too talented to be bottom 3 anyway.

Rule changes are not even that drastic. Mid lottery teams will have better odds next year.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#52 » by Hangtime84 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:35 pm

I’m all in on the two year tank Plan. Maybe even 3 year one
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#53 » by Hangtime84 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:42 pm

Dresden wrote:Given what Paxson has said to the media, I think there's zero chance they try to tank again next year.

He didn’t like but said sixers is the model to how to rebuild properly
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,903

Post#54 » by TheStig » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:44 pm

This team needs high end talent. You tank till you get a star.
Trm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 772

Post#55 » by Trm3 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:07 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Tank again. This team has nothing yet to suggest they can compete for a title.

If you're worried about the fact there is too much talent, don't. There isn't. This team was awful without Mirotic on the roster. Sit some guys. Draft 2 projects this year. If you draft MPJ, tell everyone that his back scares you and sit him for 6 months. The 76ers route.

I don't think think the Bulls have a top ten player on this roster. Keep doing this until you get one.

That's 90% of the league, should they all tank? The Baby Bulls should have never tried too. This is stupid reasoning.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,893

Post#56 » by nomorezorro » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:37 pm

it would be catastrophically short sighted to actively try to make the playoffs next year

it should 100% be a development year. get lopez out of here, get holiday out of here, bring in some d-league guys who you think have some potential, be experimental with the lineups and sets you use.

i don't think we should be trying to lose games, but i also don't think winning should be our primary goal!
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
Mr. Tibbs
Head Coach
And1: 466

Post#57 » by Mr. Tibbs » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:38 pm

The only way I'd be down to actively make moves to make the playoffs would be if we somehow landed Kawhi. Otherwise, I let these kids ride it out. I'd guess we'd end up somewhere between 4th and 10th worst, which wouldn't be as bad with the new lotto odds. Not quite tanking, but not unwatchable bball either.
RIP Johnny Red Kerr, Norm Van Lier, Pdenninggolden, Bullsmaniac
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,656

Post#58 » by sco » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:59 am

I put tank, but really I mean don't go get any vets. Give then young guys the keys again...including this year's picks.
:clap:
riprose
Pro Prospect
And1: 248

Post#59 » by riprose » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:06 am

Just wake me up when they are good.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#60 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:37 am

Red8911 wrote:Let the guys play and see where it goes. If they fail that means this team needs to rebuild from the rebuild lol but if let’s say they make the playoffs that means that guys like Dunn/Lavine/ Lauri and rest of team have gotten better and is worth going forward with. Again don’t tank let the players do what they can do and go from there.

:nod: agree

Return to Chicago Bulls