Image ImageImage Image

Around the NBA: Off-Season

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Re: Around the NBA: NBA finals edition 

Post#1441 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:56 pm

erlim wrote:Since we don't have a huge off-topic thread and I wanted to share some fan art I drew of the 96 Bulls among others, I thought I could post it here. It's basically how I wish Space Jam II would be. Mods, feel free to remove if you think it's inappropriate.

That is outstanding! So many great characters and memories. And I love The Mayor making an appearance right next to MJ!

I was just sporting a hat like this yesterday.

I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#1442 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:20 am

Roger Randolph, the brother of Zach Randolph, was killed in a shooting in Marion, Indiana.

Roger Randolph's body was found by police officers responding to reports of gunfire around 5 AM on Saturday morning. The death was believed to be an isolated incident and not a random shooting.

Zach Randolph was not with his brother at the time.

"We are deeply saddened to learn of Roger Randolph's tragic death," Kings general manager Vlade Divac said in a statement. "As a cherished member of the Kings family, our prayers, heartfelt condolences and thoughts are with Zach and his family during this painful and difficult time."

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/250212/Zach-Randolphs-Brother-Murdered-In-Indiana

Such terrible terrible news.

I'm not going to make any political statements about guns, but these type of gun related deaths do make me deeply sad because it just seems so unnecessary.
Why so serious?
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#1443 » by kyrv » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:25 am

^^ Okay this seems so minor after JVs post, but Thunder have fired announce (I think for TV) Brian Davis. He was there a long time, he was in Chicago long ago, I found him...bad. But that was as a talk show host not as announcer.

OKC Thunder announcer Brian Davis has been suspended for tomorrow's Jazz/Thunder Game 1 after saying "Russell's out of his cotton-picking mind" during Wednesday's regular season finale vs. the Grizzlies

He won't be renewed. Now, for people that talk for a living, and for years, for one slip to get you fired, I have empathy. This isn't someone that is a shock jock/tweeter at all. But at the same time, I think as a white person, you kind of have to know that referring to anyone, especially someone of color, as anything to do with 'cotton pickin' is a recipe for bad things to follow. For Westbrook's part, he wanted to move past it, he has known Davis for years.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Post#1444 » by dice » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:33 pm

kyrv wrote:^^ Okay this seems so minor after JVs post, but Thunder have fired announce (I think for TV) Brian Davis. He was there a long time, he was in Chicago long ago, I found him...bad. But that was as a talk show host not as announcer.

OKC Thunder announcer Brian Davis has been suspended for tomorrow's Jazz/Thunder Game 1 after saying "Russell's out of his cotton-picking mind" during Wednesday's regular season finale vs. the Grizzlies

He won't be renewed. Now, for people that talk for a living, and for years, for one slip to get you fired, I have empathy. This isn't someone that is a shock jock/tweeter at all. But at the same time, I think as a white person, you kind of have to know that referring to anyone, especially someone of color, as anything to do with 'cotton pickin' is a recipe for bad things to follow. For Westbrook's part, he wanted to move past it, he has known Davis for years.

is that a phrase typically attributed to black people? or having racist origin? because i wouldn't have thought twice had i heard that

edit: apparently it was originally used to refer to southerners in general. pretty sure that any specific connotation drifted away a long time ago...unless of course it is used in a blatantly racist way, which i have never personally heard in my life

https://www.bustle.com/articles/118386-5-racist-english-phrases-with-a-seriously-awful-history
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#1445 » by kyrv » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:32 am

dice wrote:
kyrv wrote:^^ Okay this seems so minor after JVs post, but Thunder have fired announce (I think for TV) Brian Davis. He was there a long time, he was in Chicago long ago, I found him...bad. But that was as a talk show host not as announcer.

is that a phrase typically attributed to black people? or having racist origin? because i wouldn't have thought twice had i heard that

edit: apparently it was originally used to refer to southerners in general. pretty sure that any specific connotation drifted away a long time ago...unless of course it is used in a blatantly racist way, which i have never personally heard in my life

https://www.bustle.com/articles/118386-5-racist-english-phrases-with-a-seriously-awful-history

Thanks - I heard it growing up, there was nothing racial about it, was generally light-hearted, and in fact Brian Davis was complimenting Westbrook. Again though I think in today's climate if you are in the media and you are white, you probably want to avoid anything remotely putting a person of color and picking cotton together.

But you have gotten to a crux of the politically correct times, different words and phrases mean different things to different people.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#1446 » by MrSparkle » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:51 am

Maybe Lavar Ball is a genius after all. He’s successfully driven down Lonzo’s value to the point where no level-headed organization wants himx
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#1447 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:46 am

MrSparkle wrote:Maybe Lavar Ball is a genius after all. He’s successfully driven down Lonzo’s value to the point where no level-headed organization wants himx

I wonder if the clippers would take him? Flip him for both their lottery picks and then have more assets to trade for Kawhi.

Would serve him right to have his son go to a team that's the least popular in town.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,239

Post#1448 » by Dan Z » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:45 am

I wasn't sure where to put this. Nate Robinson claims he was bullied by ex-knicks coach Larry Brown.

https://www.totalprosports.com/2018/06/19/nate-robinson-claims-he-was-bullied-by-ex-knicks-coach-larry-brown-made-him-cry-told-everybody/
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#1449 » by Hangtime84 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:45 pm

Dwight Howard traded to the Nets for Mosgov and 2nd rounders
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#1450 » by RememberLu » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:51 pm

Hangtime84 wrote:Dwight Howard traded to the Nets for Mosgov and 2nd rounders

Dwight fell off so hard, almost Rose-esque decline
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#1451 » by Hangtime84 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:57 pm

RememberLu wrote:

He really didn't have too bad of a season this year. But defensively and 4th quarters he needed.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#1452 » by League Circles » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:00 pm

Two things:

The cotton picking mind comment doesn't need to be racial to be offensive or inappropriate. IMO it implies that the subject is dull minded, almost hypnotized by the cotton picking. So when the subject does something that evidences thinking or creativity, they are "out of their cotton picking mind". The implication being that they are acting out of place by using their brain.

On another topic, IMO this report about Kawhi warning teams that he'll sign with the Lakers in a year absolutely positively needs to be stopped and should be treated as tampering by the league office going forward. Totally **** up the competitive landscape.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
mrlancers
Sixth Man
And1: 1,160

Post#1453 » by mrlancers » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:24 pm

Interesting trade.

Hornets save 8 million this year to get under the luxury tax this year.
Nets save 17 million dollars next year for two max slot FAs next year.
Hornets acquire 2 second round picks.

I guess what this means is a 9 million dollar difference is worth 2 seconds. I wonder if this dictates the market that a trade for Bayless in Philly in a pure salary dump is worth 38/39 and not 26.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#1454 » by jc23 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:25 pm

^^^nba is enjoying the benefits of having such a drama filled league right now. It creates great excitement but at least for me it has made me less of a hardcore fan of the sport. If it’s now the norm for guys to just continue to team up or want out I just find it hard to care as much as I use to.
Be curious, Not judgmental
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,455

Post#1455 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:43 pm

Dan Z wrote:I wasn't sure where to put this. Nate Robinson claims he was bullied by ex-knicks coach Larry Brown.

https://www.totalprosports.com/2018/06/19/nate-robinson-claims-he-was-bullied-by-ex-knicks-coach-larry-brown-made-him-cry-told-everybody/

Larry Brown is a POS if true.

EDIT:
I don’t know what I called him, to be honest with you. If I did that, shame on me. I would feel terrible about that. That’s not who I am, but I don’t want to dispute Nate.

This mf is guilty
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,239

Post#1456 » by Dan Z » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:14 pm

Hangtime84 wrote:
RememberLu wrote:

He really didn't have too bad of a season this year. But defensively and 4th quarters he needed.

At least Dwight can sometimes be effective. Mozgov is completely done and still has two years on his deal (Dwight has one).
dice
RealGM

Post#1457 » by dice » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:24 pm

League Circles wrote:Two things:

The cotton picking mind comment doesn't need to be racial to be offensive or inappropriate. IMO it implies that the subject is dull minded, almost hypnotized by the cotton picking. So when the subject does something that evidences thinking or creativity, they are "out of their cotton picking mind". The implication being that they are acting out of place by using their brain.

it's pretty much the equivalent of "he's nuts" for anyone who has used the phrase in the past half century. and nobody would have batted an eye had the announcer said "he's nuts"

On another topic, IMO this report about Kawhi warning teams that he'll sign with the Lakers in a year absolutely positively needs to be stopped and should be treated as tampering by the league office going forward.

a player can't tell family or friends what he plans to do? what is this, 'the bachelor'?
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#1458 » by dice » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:26 pm

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:
Dan Z wrote:I wasn't sure where to put this. Nate Robinson claims he was bullied by ex-knicks coach Larry Brown.

Larry Brown is a POS if true.

EDIT:
I don’t know what I called him, to be honest with you. If I did that, shame on me. I would feel terrible about that. That’s not who I am, but I don’t want to dispute Nate.

This mf is guilty

jalen rose also claimed on ESPN yesterday morning that brown tried to ruin his career in indiana
dice
RealGM

Post#1459 » by dice » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:36 pm

RememberLu wrote:

not even close
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#1460 » by MrSparkle » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:04 pm

League Circles wrote:Two things:

On another topic, IMO this report about Kawhi warning teams that he'll sign with the Lakers in a year absolutely positively needs to be stopped and should be treated as tampering by the league office going forward. Totally **** up the competitive landscape.

I agree on both.

Return to Chicago Bulls