Image ImageImage Image

Wendell Carter Jr - The Block Panther Edition

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Right pick?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 254

Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Re: RE: Re: Bulls select Wendell Carter Jr 7th overall 

Post#721 » by Red Larrivee » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:40 pm

Chitownbulls wrote:Drafted the 5th best bigman in the draft when free agency is loaded with good centers.

Still no superstar or future SF

Why do you keep saying this? It makes no sense to max out a center in a rebuild, especially a veteran who will be on the downside of his career.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Pnjguy
Starter
And1: 567

Re: Bulls select Wendell Carter Jr 7th overall 

Post#722 » by Pnjguy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:44 pm

Chitownbulls wrote:Drafted the 5th best bigman in the draft when free agency is loaded with good centers.

Dipping into free agency this year is not happening, and for good reason.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#723 » by Hangtime84 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:43 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:

Why do you keep saying this? It makes no sense to max out a center in a rebuild, especially a veteran who will be on the downside of his career.

NBA 2k logic
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,376

Post#724 » by HoopsterJones » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:45 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

They kind of look like Portis and Felicio. Lol
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,373

Post#725 » by The Box Office » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:58 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:

I think because Chitownbulls was high on Michael Porter Jr. Please correct if I'm wrong. There might be one superstar in this year's draft and that's it. It's a weak draft. The future superstar small forward is in next year's draft and there's 2 of them off the top of my head: RJ Barrett and Nassir Little. Those guys will make you forget about Michael Porter Jr. easily.

Wendell will be a good player. I don't see franchise player/perennial All Star though. I see a more athletic Christian Laettner/David West type. I just hope that he doesn't become a Carlos Boozer type where he doesn't play defense at all.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#726 » by MGB8 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:07 pm

bad knees wrote:I'm going to try to be a bit more positive about Wendell. I was wrong about Lauri; maybe I'll be wrong about Wendell too.

To that end, here is a video analysis from The Stepien that argues that Wendell has the ability to guard decently well on the perimeter and that his problems doing so to date have stemmed from poor technique. The analyst actually found a few examples of Wendell demonstrating some ability in this area. He also found some horrible closeouts that will make your hair stand on end.

Maybe we should focus on the good stuff.

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/06/11/wendell-carter-quick-enough-todays-nba/

This is the big question mark and hope on WCJ. If he does, then the pick, while still not a franchise corner-stone variety, is much more justified.
NDave79
Sixth Man
And1: 1,348

Post#727 » by NDave79 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:19 pm

For whatever it's worth, this projection tool created by the Stepien site which uses a lot of different stats and analytics, absolutely loves Carter. According to this, he grades out better than anyone else that played college basketball last year.

https://www.thestepien.com/player-distribution-tool/
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#728 » by madvillian » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:30 pm

I like that tool. It had 75% odds for Denzel as DNP/out of leaguer. LOL.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#729 » by kulaz3000 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:36 pm

HoopsterJones wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Glad that someone is wearing number 34 again.

Why so serious?
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,376

Post#730 » by HoopsterJones » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:38 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:
HoopsterJones wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

The original AD! Antonio Davis! I remember when Rodman tango danced with him in the playoffs against the Pacers and it pissed him off. Lol.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
vvgotgame19
Starter
And1: 757

Post#731 » by vvgotgame19 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:41 pm

Man some of the WCJ hate on here is unreal. Brad Miller athleticism? Old school big? No potential? It’s like some of you are literally talking about someone else entirely. He’s not a franchise guy obviously, and maybe that’s where the irrational disappointment comes from, but no doubt about it WCJ will be serving up a bunch of crow in the near future. You can quote me on this if you’d like, but while WCJ won’t be a superstar, he’ll be a future all star and very high impact guy.
greenl
Starter
And1: 1,519

Post#732 » by greenl » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:45 pm

I'm gonna take the bold stance and say I have no idea if WCJ will be any good. I'm numb about the pick. My hit rate on predicting how draft picks will perform is equivalent to a coin flip. Seems like WCJ has some nice skills. And if it means I don't have to watch Portis flexing on 2nd team guys, then I like him already.
"Children are smarter than any of us. Know how I know that? I don't know one child with a full time job and children." - Bill Hicks
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#733 » by HomoSapien » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:46 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:
HoopsterJones wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#734 » by kingkirk » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:52 pm

bad knees wrote:The solution was to trade up for JJJ, who absolutely could stay on the floor with Lauri when other teams go small, because JJJ has unicorn like ability to defend on the perimeter for a big.

And of course the FO defenders can always shoot down any proposed trade idea by saying that “there’s no evidence” that the proposed trade would have worked. Of course there isn’t, because we aren’t in the trade negotiations.

But we do know that MEM wanted to dump Parsons’ contract, that they liked WCJ, and that we had the cap space to make a trade happen. We also know that the Bulls tend to overvalue their own assets (eg Portis) and that they inexplicably gave a promise at 22 which took that pick off the table as a trade asset.

And of course we know that Cuban found a way to trade up for Doncic.

So forgive me, but I do think that there was a better option - an incredibly great option actually - and I do fault the Bulls FO for not getting it done.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Getting what done?

A trade for Doncic? The Hawks wanted Trae Young. He may have been off the board by the time the Bulls were to pick at 7. That's why a deal for Luka couldn't happen.

As for JJJ, there were reports the Bulls liked him and inquired with the Grizzlies about moving up. We don't know the particulars, but given the Mavs got Luka freaking Doncic without taking on any bad contracts and killing free agency plans, why should the Bulls have done that?
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#735 » by kulaz3000 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:56 pm

Mark K wrote:
bad knees wrote:The solution was to trade up for JJJ, who absolutely could stay on the floor with Lauri when other teams go small, because JJJ has unicorn like ability to defend on the perimeter for a big.

And of course the FO defenders can always shoot down any proposed trade idea by saying that “there’s no evidence” that the proposed trade would have worked. Of course there isn’t, because we aren’t in the trade negotiations.

But we do know that MEM wanted to dump Parsons’ contract, that they liked WCJ, and that we had the cap space to make a trade happen. We also know that the Bulls tend to overvalue their own assets (eg Portis) and that they inexplicably gave a promise at 22 which took that pick off the table as a trade asset.

So forgive me, but I do think that there was a better option - an incredibly great option actually - and I do fault the Bulls FO for not getting it done.

Getting what done?

A trade for Doncic? The Hawks wanted Trae Young. He may have been off the board by the time the Bulls were to pick at 7. That's why a deal for Luka couldn't happen.

As for JJJ, there were reports the Bulls liked him and inquired with the Grizzlies about moving up. We don't know the particulars, but given the Mavs got Luka freaking Doncic without taking on any bad contracts and killing free agency plans, why should the Bulls have done that?

Trades, Mark. If you don't trade, you don't win. Non-traders are losers. Do you want to be a loser?

Just trade, nothing else matters.
Why so serious?
Ebo21
Sixth Man
And1: 95

Post#736 » by Ebo21 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:00 pm

I’m having a hard time understanding how on earth people are downplaying the abilities of WCJ but would’ve advocated drafting Mikal Bridges. Let’s use perspective here.. 4 years ago when Bridges was day 19 y/o not a single person on this board would’ve even considered him as a 2nd round pick let alone a lottery pick. WCJ at 19 y/o has a mature and polished NBA READY game, and is pedigree of Coach K’s recent “1 and done” crops. The kid is intelligent and has fire in him.

There are few Centers in the league that can play big in the paint offensively, and run the floor fluidly, catch in traffic, and finish. WCJ does this at the age of 19. Who gives a damn if he’s not an athletic freak of nature? Can he do his job? He’s proven to be willing to diminish his role for the betterment of the team (Bagley).

I mean let’s be real here guys, the kid might not have been Ayton, but how many bigs are? The kid has legitimate ability and possesses the willingness, intelligence, and determination necessary to maximize his game.
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Post#737 » by R3AL1TY » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:04 pm

One underrated ability WCJ has that NBEinstein pointed out on Youtube is him being a quick leaper. He gets off his feet fast to either go up with a shot or dunk on offense, and reacts quickly with a block attempt on defense. He doesn't have to gather himself like some of the other guys who are seen as more explosive.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Post#738 » by sco » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:06 pm

madvillian wrote:I like that tool. It had 75% odds for Denzel as DNP/out of leaguer. LOL.

Lavine 88% DNP/out of leaguer. :o
Hutchinson 66% DNP/out of leaguer.
Dunn 65% DNP/out of leaguer.
McDermott 64% DNP/out of leaguer.
Lauri 11% DNP/out of leaguer.
Portis 3% DNP/out of leaguer.
Carter <1% DNP/out of leaguer. :o
:clap:
t-time
RealGM
And1: 1,794

Post#739 » by t-time » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:07 pm

If we were gonna stay at #7 - I can’t hate this pick.

I made an effort to watch a lot of college basketball this year and I always like WCJ. I actually liked him as a college player way more than Bagley who to me is so raw and out of control and has hugely inflated stats. I think he isn’t going to be flashy but he’s going to help us win games. By mid November I reckon this board will love him. I would’ve still taken Bamba ahead of him just on potential.

I will say this Hutchinson kid better be good cause it is absolutely crazy to make a promise so early in the draft in that range. If it pans out they’ll look like geniuses.

Overall I’m fairly happy. Obviously MPJ medical was screwed so we took the best guy on the board who I’ve always liked.
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#740 » by bad knees » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:17 am

Mark K wrote:

Getting what done?

If you would prefer to have traded a future pick with 7 to get 4, that's fine with me too. I personally would prefer to have taken on Parsons' contract because future picks are more valuable to me than the cap space at this point in the Bulls' rebuild. My point is that I think a deal with MEM for JJJ was available and should have been executed, and the Bulls' explanations for why they did not pursue it do not, in my estimation, justify their non-action. In short, I think they made a bad judgment, and overvalued what they have when compared to what they could get.

Return to Chicago Bulls