Image ImageImage Image

Bulls select Chandler Hutchison 22nd overall

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Ugly Duckling
Veteran
And1: 1,532

Re: Bulls select Chandler Hutchison 22nd overall 

Post#261 » by Ugly Duckling » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:01 am

Flopper wrote:
Hayesy wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:
To be fair, for a 195 lb. guy he has some nasty 1-handed dunks in traffic with contact. His vertical is pretty good, the long wing-span and a solid grip on the ball all work in his favor.

I'll be honest, I didn't dislike the Snell pick from a skills perspective. He just ended up being a poor decision-maker: bad IQ, communication problems and it all amounts to a horribly lethargic looking player who impacts games in very meaningless ways. But give Snell some IQ and spunk, and maybe that's the Hutchinson who ends up being the 20-ish pick.

Snell also wasn't nearly the player Hutchison was in college, either. They're both Mountain West guys too, so the comparison is kind of apples to apples.

Snell:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/tony-snell-1.html

Hutch:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/chandler-hutchison-1.html

I didn't understand the Snell pick back in 2012 (wanted Dieng or Plumlee), and looking back at his college production I understand it even less.

I don't really see that comp at all. Snell projected as a shooter/defender and that's pretty much what he became. Hutchison projects as a transition finisher, defender, and possible secondary playmaker. His overall shooting numbers aren't great, but some of that can be attributed to him playing on the ball so much and having to create for himself. His catch and shoot numbers are solid and should be good enough to allow him to punish aggressives closeouts at the next level.

This scouting report gives a fantastic breakdown of that: https://www.thestepien.com/2018/01/11/chandler-hutchison-draft-sleeper-potential-closeout-killer/

I’m not making a direct comparison between Hutchison and Tatum. Tatum is far younger and had much more promising indicators as a shooter. But we can learn from specific skill components and movement skills that have translated to the league, and Hutchison has these alluring qualities in spades.

Hutchison might have the best attacking closeout package of any wing in the draft with his combination of long strides, dynamic burst, one-foot explosion as a finisher, quick and deceptive rip-throughs with sound footwork and overall aggressiveness.

I think something between a rich man's Jeremy Lamb and a poor man's Paul George is a reasonable comp for him .

Or a middle class Scottie Pippen haha
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
Truebiscuit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,005

Post#262 » by Truebiscuit » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:06 am

;feature=youtu.be

35 minutes of Hutchinson on offense/defense. Yep. 35 minutes.
Working on becoming Titletown:
Bears - 9
Bulls - 6
Blackhawks - 6
Cubs - 3
White Sox - nobody cares :D
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#263 » by GimmeDat » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:06 am

My opinion is that Hutchison is a better physical prospect as an SF than MPJ. He's more explosive, longer arms, has great long strides, and is quicker with the ball in his hands because he's a better ball handler.

Big difference with those 2 is in shot versatility, though. If Chandler had MPJ's hesi/pullup game he'd be a lottery pick without a doubt, imo.
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,049

Post#264 » by erlim » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:11 am

Truebiscuit wrote:;feature=youtu.be

Some intern in the FO found this YouTube video and watched 12 of the 35 minutes, and that's how the draft promise happened
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Post#265 » by Dresden » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:21 am

BigUps wrote:
SHO'NUFF wrote:His hairline is on fleek. Only Michael J Fox’s “Teen Wolf” character had a better hairline than my son Chandler.

Did you see his girlfriend/sister last night? :droop:

Yep, sure did.
BullsFTW
Head Coach
And1: 1,893

Post#266 » by BullsFTW » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:31 am

GimmeDat wrote:My opinion is that Hutchison is a better physical prospect as an SF than MPJ. He's more explosive, longer arms, has great long strides, and is quicker with the ball in his hands because he's a better ball handler.

Big difference with those 2 is in shot versatility, though. If Chandler had MPJ's hesi/pullup game he'd be a lottery pick without a doubt, imo.

I'm interested to see how Hutchison pan out in the NBA. I've read great things and seen some highlights but I've never heard of him until April. If there was a promise made by the Bulls, Pax must have been really impressed from what he saw. Could a team in the lottery have drafted Hutch and rise like how Paul George did? Maybe. I just find it weird that he skipped the combine and individual workouts.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#267 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:25 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/boise-state-coach-leon-rice-believes-chandler-hutchison-bulls-are-match-made-heaven

I really like Hutch pick.. I think he can be solid starter on SF for us,decent finisher..
TankWilson
Sophomore
And1: 45

Post#268 » by TankWilson » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:43 am

logical_art wrote:
CBS7 wrote:
logical_art wrote:I'd be fine with this if we needed a 2. He's a frail undersized SF.

He's 6-7 with a 7-1 wingspan. His size won't stop him from being effective.

Source on that wingspan? And standing reach>>> wingspan in terms of play length. In any case he's under 200 lbs as a senior. He's frail and that's unlikely to change. Nearly all of the good SFs in the league will have a strength advantage and many will have a length advantage. Combined with Zach, that means a lot of **** wing defense for the Bulls to look forward to.

At 22 he can still add 10 + pounds of muscle with an actual NBA strength and conditioning program. In any case otto porter has the same wing span and is only 198 lbs. He's been a decent starter, this guy has more athleticism. You're selling him short, but it seems your mind
TankWilson
Sophomore
And1: 45

Post#269 » by TankWilson » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:49 am

GimmeDat wrote:My opinion is that Hutchison is a better physical prospect as an SF than MPJ. He's more explosive, longer arms, has great long strides, and is quicker with the ball in his hands because he's a better ball handler.

I agree with all that except I think porter might be a little more explosive when healthy. He can really throw it down, also porter has sometime being younger to catch up. Overall tho yes I think this kid is going to be a good one and he could be the better pro than porter.
Benedict Miller
General Manager
And1: 2,074

Post#270 » by Benedict Miller » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:54 am

Hopefully he masters the mid range game, he'd be hard to handle if he adds that to his game. Improve his shooting.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,289

Post#271 » by dumbell78 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:40 am

A four year senior from a mid major is usually a red flag for me. I wish I could just judge this kid on what he does on the floor but I have to view it through the prism of that "promise" the FO made over a month ago. He has to easily exceed any rationale expectation and that's not fair to the kid.

The FO better be damn right that they found a jem of a player. He is in that Nik Batum like mold, in fact I wish he had someone like that around to teach/guide him. He would benefit tremendously from a versatile vet wing to show him the ropes. Hopefully Scottie works with him.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#272 » by TheFinishSniper » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:54 am

;feature=youtu.be

Hutchison vs Kuzma
Chandler Hutchison: 34 Pts (14-24 fg) 5 rebounds 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 turnover in 37 minutes
Kyle Kuzma: 21 Pts (9-16 fg) 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 3 blocks, 2 turnovers in 37 minutes.

Enjoy!
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,075
Location: Taking my talents to South Beach (twice a day at times)

Post#273 » by Clint Eastwood » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:48 pm

erlim wrote:

Some intern in the FO found this YouTube video and watched 12 of the 35 minutes, and that's how the draft promise happened

I confess I watched this whole video. It really gives a flavor of what he does well and what he needs to work on. He has the look of a legit NBA player to me. Might be really good. In movement and style reminds me of Danny granger. This guy is our small forward for the next 10 years. I support the promise and the pick.
We have Martell Webster. He's called Kyle Korver here, and we shall love him and squeeze him and call him Ashton. -BrooklynBulls
Truebiscuit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,005

Post#274 » by Truebiscuit » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:15 pm

Clint Eastwood wrote:
erlim wrote:

I confess I watched this whole video. It really gives a flavor of what he does well and what he needs to work on. He has the look of a legit NBA player to me. Might be really good. In movement and style reminds me of Danny granger. This guy is our small forward for the next 10 years. I support the promise and the pick.

:lol: I did too man. I definitely saw things I like and saw things that reinforced what I believe he needs to improve. His handles need work and really I don't like his shooting form. There's too much "noise" at the top of his release and I think that's why he is such a poor free throw shooter. He needs to clean that up and if I'm picking nits I don't like how he brings the ball down before starting his shot. I get that it adds rhythm but it slows his shot down. Hopefully Fred can work on him with that.
Working on becoming Titletown:
Bears - 9
Bulls - 6
Blackhawks - 6
Cubs - 3
White Sox - nobody cares :D
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#275 » by TheFinishSniper » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:32 pm

I am pretty optimistic about this kid. I knew nothing about him despite a promise thing. But watching highlights and games now all day. (I have day off.) I like the kid. He is player. I can see why Bulls liked him. I can say that.

Still helluva lot work for Fred to do.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,450

Re: RE: Re: Bulls select Chandler Hutchison 22nd overall 

Post#276 » by samwana » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:41 pm

LordBaldric wrote:Is Starsky coming in too?
Lol.. Nice

Sent from my SM-G920F using RealGM mobile app
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,332

Post#277 » by fleet » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:41 pm

Analysts seem a little hesitant to call him a great athlete. Just good. I watch his tape and wonder what the difference/definition is.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#279 » by Axolotl » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:18 pm

23-7 wrote:http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=chandler-hutchison--michael-jordan

So The Promise = GOAT 2.0! That's great news! Let the rings roll in! :D
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#280 » by musiqsoulchild » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:23 pm

When I look at the wings that the Bulls have drafted , I get excited about Hutchison's prospects.

Deng
Thabo
JJ
Snell
Jimmy

There's definitely something in their formula that keeps them getting productive SG-SF's from the draft.

Return to Chicago Bulls