Image ImageImage Image

If we suck again GarPax should be fired

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,600

Re: If we suck again GarPax should be fired 

Post#81 » by BigUps » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:56 am

I bet we make the playoffs next year.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,863

Post#82 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:57 am

the ultimates wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:I would have. It makes more sense because you're not working against your own future draft pick. Also should have kept our own #16 pick.

You've been complaining about how we traded Mirotic for the #22 pick, but now you would have preferred that we traded Jimmy Butler to for a package with the Timberwolves #20 pick this year, instead of Dunn or Lavine.

This is what vexes me. The Bulls got Lavine who was a lottery pick and coming off an injury, Dunn going into his second year who was a lottery pick and Lauri who was a lottery pick. Yet people would have preferred the known of what #16 last season, #20 this season and a future first that would have been a mid to late round pick. No thanks. People cry upside but where is the upside in any of those picks?

It's a bit about upside. But even more than that, it's about controlling when the "value" hits your roster.

Lavine is a great example there. We trade Butler for 1 cheap year of Lavine who is now a RFA. Where did that leave us? What was accomplished in that year? Is Lavine still an asset?

What if instead of Lavine, we had kept the #16. We would have 3 more years of cheap control for that player. And it would align nicely with Lauri's cheap contract as well.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,713

Post#83 » by madvillian » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:57 am

logical_art wrote:We're building another solid core that will get us a few 50 win seasons and sellouts but no closer to a real shot at a ring than we were last year.

Gordon, Hinrich, Deng. Butler, Gibson, Noah. Dunn, Lauri, Carter. That's the MO. Good workmen like good players without freakish traits that can lead to overdrafting and busting but also superstardom. The exception was obviously the 1.7% luck involved with landing Rose.

To be fair to Garpax if and (AND IF) if this happens then they did well:

Resign Zach (within reason)
Team comes together and wins 48 games.
Wins a 1st round series. UC is rocking. Lauri is the team MVP. Zach is scoring 20 a game.

Now that would be something to get excited about. But, if that doesn't happen and they are closer to 30 wins than 50 -- they get one more year -- and that year is not a tank year.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#84 » by kulaz3000 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:00 am

BigUps wrote:I bet we make the playoffs next year.

If we make it with such a young team, is that a bad thing?
Why so serious?
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#85 » by logical_art » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:00 am

madvillian wrote:
logical_art wrote:We're building another solid core that will get us a few 50 win seasons and sellouts but no closer to a real shot at a ring than we were last year.

Gordon, Hinrich, Deng. Butler, Gibson, Noah. Dunn, Lauri, Carter. That's the MO. Good workmen like good players without freakish traits that can lead to overdrafting and busting but also superstardom. The exception was obviously the 1.7% luck involved with landing Rose.

Wins a 1st round series. UC is rocking. Lauri is the team MVP. Zach is scoring 20 a game.

Now that would be something to get excited about. But, if that doesn't happen and they are closer to 30 wins than 50 -- they get one more year -- and that year is not a tank year.

I thought Bulls fans were over 50 win seasons with no chance at championships.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,863

Post#86 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:00 am

Bottom line is that there are no bullets left in the rebuilding chamber other than the annual draft picks that every team gets. GarPax did not make moves for value to be added to this team over time as other rebuilding teams do by adding future picks. We actually don't have our 2nd rounder next year either.

The team is not incomplete. We've got GarPax guys at every position now. It's all on the roster. If successful, that should translate to wins.
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#87 » by the ultimates » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:00 am

TheSuzerain wrote:
the ultimates wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:
You've been complaining about how we traded Mirotic for the #22 pick, but now you would have preferred that we traded Jimmy Butler to for a package with the Timberwolves #20 pick this year, instead of Dunn or Lavine.

This is what vexes me. The Bulls got Lavine who was a lottery pick and coming off an injury, Dunn going into his second year who was a lottery pick and Lauri who was a lottery pick. Yet people would have preferred the known of what #16 last season, #20 this season and a future first that would have been a mid to late round pick. No thanks. People cry upside but where is the upside in any of those picks?

It's a bit about upside. But even more than that, it's about controlling when the "value" hits your roster.

Lavine is a great example there. We trade Butler for 1 cheap year of Lavine who is now a RFA. Where did that leave us? What was accomplished in that year? Is Lavine still an asset?

Yes, he's still an asset because he still has youth, athleticism and upside the same things, Bulls fans blamed the front office for not acquiring over the years. Plus there is no indication he'll get some huge contract that would ruin his value if he doesn't produce.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
logical_art
RealGM

Post#88 » by logical_art » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:01 am

TheSuzerain wrote:Bottom line is that there are no bullets left in the rebuilding chamber other than the annual draft picks that every team gets. GarPax did not make moves for value to be added to this team over time as other rebuilding teams do by adding future picks. We actually don't have our 2nd rounder next year either.

The team is not incomplete. We've got GarPax guys at every position now. It's all on the roster. If successful, that should translate to wins.

It will soon. This will be a successful high character try hard team with 0% at a ring.
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,600

Post#89 » by BigUps » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:02 am

kulaz3000 wrote:
BigUps wrote:I bet we make the playoffs next year.

If we make it with such a young team, is that a bad thing?

Not sure. But its definitely a fireable offense.
madvillian
RealGM

Post#90 » by madvillian » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:03 am

logical_art wrote:
madvillian wrote:

I thought Bulls fans were over 50 win seasons with no chance at championships.

point is, if that young core does that on that payroll, you got something cooking. they'd basically be the celtics except even younger.
it's a big if, obviously.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Re: RE: Re: If we suck again GarPax should be fired 

Post#91 » by Red Larrivee » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:03 am

TheSuzerain wrote:Bottom line is that there are no bullets left in the rebuilding chamber other than the annual draft picks that every team gets. GarPax did not make moves for value to be added to this team over time as other rebuilding teams do by adding future picks. We actually don't have our 2nd rounder next year either.

You're not being honest about this at all. This is what will happen.

If Chicago sucks next season, you'll bring this thread back up and harp on it. If Chicago wins next year, you'll talk about how they screwed up and built a treadmill team. Your stance gives zero room to do anything but blame the front office.

Meanwhile, everyone knows this team is rebuilding and isn't expected to win anytime soon. There are still opportunities to acquire future picks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
aguifs
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,436

Post#92 » by aguifs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:04 am

I can see them overpaying Jabari soaking down our throats that they did a good job...
#FIREAKME #BOYCOTTABULL #REINSDORKSELLTHEFRANCHISE
logical_art
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: If we suck again GarPax should be fired 

Post#93 » by logical_art » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:04 am

Red Larrivee wrote:

If Chicago sucks next season, you'll bring this thread back up and harp on it. If Chicago wins next year, you'll talk about how they screwed up and built a treadmill team. Your stance gives zero room to do anything but blame the front office.

Are you happy with the direction of the team?
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,432

Post#94 » by Susan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:06 am

Read on Twitter

:roll: :lol:
Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,538

Post#95 » by Ugly Duckling » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:06 am

I like the picks, but we're now in NBA penitentiary. No way this squad gets a top pick next yr or competes with top teams. We need to make a big splash in FA and pay the tax and/or trade for a top pick in next yr's draft. C'mon the Bulls are one of the most profitable franchises in the league. Time to reinvest some of those earnings
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,894

Post#96 » by nomorezorro » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:07 am

based on the press conference happening right now, i think garpax knows we're not actually going to contend this year / we need to make another significant move to build a contender

but until i see otherwise, i don't believe they're going to go out of their way to change the trajectory of the team if it's on a suboptimal path. i think we're going to try to wait for the perfect trade or perfect free agent or perfect draft pick to fall in our laps, and if it doesn't happen, ah well, we were putting ourselves in the best position we could.
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: If we suck again GarPax should be fired 

Post#97 » by Red Larrivee » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:07 am

logical_art wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

Are you happy with the direction of the team?

I didn't want to rebuild to begin with. But, it's clear that we are rebuilding and we just started. I'm pleased with Markkanen. He's a lot more than I expected to get out the Butler trade.

League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#98 » by League Circles » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:08 am

I'm definitely sympathetic to your thoughts in this thread and if I recall you like me were among the relatively few who really opposed the butler trade. And you are definitely correct that we are not doing anything creative to get future assets. That is why really everything rests on free agency and so I will really either crucify or praise them based on how they handle contracts over the next 12 months. If they create enough cap space for 2 max free agents next summer and or the summer after or they happened to somehow make a huge splash this summer I will give them a ton of Praise. If they keep scrubs on the roster for 2, 3,4,5 million dollars each and end up with 20 30 40 million in cap space instead of 65+ and then obviously strike out as a result I will absolutely crucify them. Even if they clear cap space for two Max guys and strike out I will still give them credit for trying. But yes at this point the real success rests on between one and three of the young players becoming quite good not necessarily stars or superstars just quite good players and then also adding at least one and preferably two or three impact free agents over the next couple years. That is plausible but I am afraid they will ruin it by doing things like giving contracts to guys like Bobby Portis.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,432

Post#99 » by Susan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:09 am

nomorezorro wrote:based on the press conference happening right now, i think garpax knows we're not actually going to contend this year / we need to make another significant move to build a contender

but until i see otherwise, i don't believe they're going to go out of their way to change the trajectory of the team if it's on a suboptimal path. i think we're going to try to wait for the perfect trade or perfect free agent or perfect draft pick to fall in our laps, and if it doesn't happen, ah well, we were putting ourselves in the best position we could.

I wonder how they handle the Hoiberg situation. He's coming up on year FOUR. The media isn't really going after him but man, at some point they have to admit that this guy can't coach.
madvillian
RealGM

Post#100 » by madvillian » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:11 am

Susan wrote:
Read on Twitter

:roll: :lol:

Well, to be fair, they didn't panic and overpay like they did with Doug. I dunno, just seems like a middling course they choose and often back themselves into a corner -- like now they HAVE to match Zach right? This wasn't about doubling down on any tank (like Mavs did) this was a win sooner move.

Whatever. Time will tell. Make or break year.

Return to Chicago Bulls