Image ImageImage Image

KC Tidbits: Bulls tried to trade for Bagley/Jackson, not Bamba

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

KC Tidbits: Bulls tried to trade for Bagley/Jackson, not Bamba 

Post#1 » by HomoSapien » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:19 am

After attempts to trade up for Marvin Bagley III and Jaren Jackson Jr. that sources said never got close, the Bulls stayed at No. 7 and drafted 6-foot-10-inch Wendell Carter Jr. from Duke.

The Bulls held trade talks with the Hawks, who owned the third pick, and the Grizzlies, who owned the fourth. In both cases, they didn’t want to sacrifice the future first-round picks it would’ve cost to move up a few spots for Jackson or Trae Young.

The Hawks ultimately traded down with the Mavericks, with the Hawks getting Young’s draft rights at No. 5 and a future first-round pick from the Mavericks. Dallas landed Luka Doncic’s draft rights at No. 3.

With the Grizzlies, who drafted Jackson, the Bulls weren’t interested in swallowing the two years and $49 million remaining on Chandler Parsons’ contract. The Bulls liked Mo Bamba, who went to the Magic at No. 6, but didn’t engage in attempts to move up for him.

One long-shot scenario disappeared by midafternoon when the Kings leaked they were locked into drafting Bagley with the second pick. The Bulls privately had hoped the Kings would become enamored with Michael Porter Jr., dropping Bagley to a slot from which the Bulls could possibly trade up and acquire Bagley.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-spt-bulls-wendell-carter-draft-20180621-story.html

I always find these post draft tidbits interesting. I like Carter more than most, but it's a shame we didn't attempt to trade up for Bamba. Also interesting that the Bulls were targeting big men, and not someone like Doncic at all.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Re: KC Tidbits: Bulls tried to trade for Bagley/Jackson, not Bamba 

Post#2 » by GimmeDat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:34 am

Thanks for calling out your own article suggesting we were trying to trade up for Bamba, KC.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#3 » by HomoSapien » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:35 am

One other interesting tidbit:

The Bulls performed Porter’s physical two weeks ago because of his locally based agency’s long-standing relationship with the franchise and had a head start on its less-than-promising, long-term prognosis before sharing it with the rest of the league.

I believe they touched on this during the draft coverage, but the Bulls were the team to share Porter's physical. Not sure if that's the coolest thing to do to Porter, but probably helps build their relationship with other teams.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#4 » by League Circles » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:36 am

HomoSapien wrote:One other interesting tidbit:

The Bulls performed Porter’s physical two weeks ago because of his locally based agency’s long-standing relationship with the franchise and had a head start on its less-than-promising, long-term prognosis before sharing it with the rest of the league.

I believe they touched on this during the draft coverage, but the Bulls were the team to share Porter's physical. Not sure if that's the coolest thing to do to Porter, but probably helps build their relationship with other teams.

Surely they must have had the legal right to share the information cuz otherwise that's an incredibly serious violation.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#5 » by League Circles » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:37 am

Just to note if we were trying to trade up to draft Bagley or JJJ that means we value those two guys above Luka as well.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#6 » by LordBaldric » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:43 am

IDK what GarPax are thinking. Lauri in my mind isn't serious center material. So why are you looking to trade up for a PF? They should have been looking to trade for Doncic or Bamba imo.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#7 » by Leslie Forman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:47 am

HomoSapien wrote:With the Grizzlies, who drafted Jackson, the Bulls weren’t interested in swallowing the two years and $49 million remaining on Chandler Parsons’ contract.

I wonder if MyHusbandPax would have had more "equity" if Felicio wasn't on the payroll…
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#8 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:52 am

GimmeDat wrote:Thanks for calling out your own article suggesting we were trying to trade up for Bamba, KC.

Putting out fake rumors for the FO woth that Bamba talk.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
keloms
Veteran
And1: 1,933

Post#9 » by keloms » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:53 am

Posted this elsewhere, but, will include it here since it's relevant to the reasoning behind the Bagley / Jackson efforts, Joe Cowley said on Tuesday that Bagley / Jackson were the targets since the coaching staff thought they were the best fits with Lauri.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/the-bulls-gar-forman-and-john-paxson-are-on-the-clock-and-hopefully-hype-free/

...grab Marvin Bagley III, the player the coaching staff thinks would be the best fit with Markkanen.

...grab Jaren Jackson Jr., the player the coaching staff thinks would be the second-best fit with Markkanen.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#10 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:54 am

Pretty sure it was with consent of MPJ'S team because I remember hearing a interview with his dad saying that the Bulls medical team would check him out and them share the results with other teams.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#11 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:55 am

keloms wrote:Posted this elsewhere, but, will include it here since it's relevant to the reasoning behind the Bagley / Jackson efforts, Joe Cowley said on Tuesday that Bagley / Jackson were the targets since the coaching staff thought they were the best fits with Lauri.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/the-bulls-gar-forman-and-john-paxson-are-on-the-clock-and-hopefully-hype-free/

...grab Marvin Bagley III, the player the coaching staff thinks would be the best fit with Markkanen.

...grab Jaren Jackson Jr., the player the coaching staff thinks would be the second-best fit with Markkanen.

Cowley giving good info again while KC was originally trying to give misdirection for the FO.
TheChad708
Junior
And1: 160

Post#12 » by TheChad708 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:11 am

We were in no position to give up this year and next years 1st round pick for Bamba or anyone else.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#13 » by MrFortune3 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:11 am

I wouldn't have had an issue with either one of those guys but man, Bamba would have been perfect with Lauri.
yifsuibfe1
Rookie
And1: 671

Post#14 » by yifsuibfe1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:12 am

So depressing they didn’t even want luka
23-7
Veteran
And1: 466

Post#15 » by 23-7 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:19 am

**** luka
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,508

Post#16 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:24 am

I’m confused as to what the Bulls were willing to offer in a trade up, if not a future 1st to the Hawks or salary relief to the Grizzlies. Kinda sounds like they dangled Bobby/Val and not much else.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#17 » by Proven_Winner » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:25 am

Porter told them to release the physicals.
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#18 » by Proven_Winner » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:34 am

LordBaldric wrote:IDK what GarPax are thinking. Lauri in my mind isn't serious center material. So why are you looking to trade up for a PF? They should have been looking to trade for Doncic or Bamba imo.

But What they showed is they did their homework and took what they needed. If Bagley and JJJ were the targets then you know logically Wendell was probably 3rd because he can stretch the floor while letting Lauri keep his mismatch at PF. The moves they made sound like an investment in Lauri. I think they really believe in him to be THE man.

Now we have a good player and still keep our pick next year to go for a wing or PG.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#19 » by logical_art » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:34 am

With the Grizzlies, who drafted Jackson, the Bulls weren’t interested in swallowing the two years and $49 million remaining on Chandler Parsons’ contract

That was always a pipe dream. This is a cheap cheap organization that sells second round picks despite regularly selling out with a midt to low budget team.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,019

Post#20 » by Chi town » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:41 am

League Circles wrote:Just to note if we were trying to trade up to draft Bagley or JJJ that means we value those two guys above Luka as well.

Which is ALARMING.

Return to Chicago Bulls