Image ImageImage Image

KC Tidbits: Bulls tried to trade for Bagley/Jackson, not Bamba

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

fenominon
Ballboy
And1: 7

Re: KC Tidbits: Bulls tried to trade for Bagley/Jackson, not Bamba 

Post#41 » by fenominon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:24 pm

Edvedder10 wrote:
logical_art wrote:
With the Grizzlies, who drafted Jackson, the Bulls weren’t interested in swallowing the two years and $49 million remaining on Chandler Parsons’ contract

That was always a pipe dream. This is a cheap cheap organization that sells second round picks despite regularly selling out with a midt to low budget team.

Nick Friedell said on the pre-draft show on espn 1000 that he felt there was no way the Bulls would be taking on that Chandler Parson's contract. That the Bulls are all about having cap space for 2019. Also added many fans will say the Bulls never land a top free agent. He added that not many teams will have cap space for 2019 and Bulls should be in a good spot for 2019 free agency.

Having cap space in 2019 is stupid. Most of the big names are either going to resign, be somewhere else or just hell no.
Top FA.
LBJ (LA or another team other than the Bulls), Melo (really?) , Dwight Howard (just no.), Paul George (LA), Klay (GS). The rest are RFA that we wouldn't have a shot at.

So once again, the FO will be positioned to be disappointed by free agency. We will probably sign Mirotic again and say we won free agency. We have to build through the draft free agency be damned. We need to take on money and acquire more assets. Hopefully they do that....but I doubt it.
jump
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,409

Post#42 » by jump » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:25 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:I think some of you guys are missing that KC said it would've taken a future first round pick to move up with Memphis on top of taking on Parsons contract. As much as I like Bamba, that's an awful deal.

Dallas got a deal with Atlanta because they're willing to include a future first and they're planning on building a playoff team in what might be Dirk's last year.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Exactly.

The Mavs set the bar, by giving up an additional (potentially) lottery pick to move up two spots. Then it seems like other teams were also looking for additional draft picks in order to swap picks.

Though I don't agree with the majority that the Mavs made the right deal by giving up an additional pick because I feel the Mavs are a lottery team next year again, but at least they did it high in the draft, later in the draft, to give up a first round pick, would have been silly.

For a rebuilding team like the Bulls, they are in no position to throw away future picks, especially if they don't feel it's for a true game changer, and though I like Bamba a lot, I don't think there is too much of a difference in talent and potential between Bamba and Carter, that I would have been willing to throw in a future first round pick.

Dallas was also in the advantage position of being able to draft Young, who Atlanta coveted. Had we tried that, Orlando would have likely drafted Young ahead of us.
MBPKOGZ
Sophomore
And1: 218

Post#43 » by MBPKOGZ » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:33 pm

As one of the biggest FO detractors on here, I'm fine with them declining a trade with Memphis if they wanted 7 plus a future 1st for 4 and Parsons.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,446

Post#44 » by CBS7 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:33 pm

7/22/dunn/portis probably doesn't have as much value as the Dallas package to ATL. And as much as I like Luka I can't advocate giving up low protection future picks to move up for him. ATL wanted Young and Dallas could virtually guarantee him. We couldn't. And the future pick could easily be 6-7 which has more value than Dunn/Portis to most teams. They also took back no players and therefore no additional salary.

I agree with trading back to get additional future assets, though. Get a wing with a higher ceiling and pick up another first.
thewraith
Junior
And1: 109

Post#45 » by thewraith » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:41 pm

Leslie Forman wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:With the Grizzlies, who drafted Jackson, the Bulls weren’t interested in swallowing the two years and $49 million remaining on Chandler Parsons’ contract.

I wonder if MyHusbandPax would have had more "equity" if Felicio wasn't on the payroll…
I think we can all agree that was a stupid signing. I didn't like that at all. I don't think Felicio can play and I think the language barrier might be an issue.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,607

Post#46 » by DuckIII » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:55 pm

Ice Man wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:I think some of you guys are missing that KC said it would've taken a future first round pick to move up with Memphis on top of taking on Parsons contract. As much as I like Bamba, that's an awful deal.

Yeah. They were never going to do it for a 7 and 22.

Due to the Hutchison promise we didn’t have 22 anyway.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,920

Post#47 » by ChettheJet » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:13 pm

Considering that it cost DAL a 1st to move up 2 slots it would have been flat out stupid for the Bulls to try and out a package together to move 3,4,5 slots . How would you feel of they moved up for Bagley and no matter how good he turned out to be but Markkanen sat out 30 games and they ended up in the lottery again? Screwed and begging them to trade for a pick.

Obviously no fat contracts got moved, so there were no deals that we all discussed endlessly to be made. How many 2nd round picks this year got traded for 2 future 2nds? The market has shifted and a lot of trades were good even a year or two ago just aren't interesting to teams today. That's why when some of you bitch about what the Bulls don't do and ignore what they say about maintaining flexibility. THIS is why you stay flexible because when there's a shift in what works and what doesn't if you're locked into last year's method of operating you're left behind
mrlancers
Sixth Man
And1: 1,160

Post#48 » by mrlancers » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:28 pm

I think once the Hawks got a first from Dallas for moving two spots in the draft, it was painfully obvious the Bulls would have to give up a first next year to Memphis as well. Don't blame Pax for that.

Side note, seems like if the Bulls lucked out instead of the Kings and got the second pick, they would have drafted Bagley over Doncic. I don't know what these teams see in Bagley. The fact that his greatest liability is his defense scares the hell out of me.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,451

Post#49 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:32 pm

keloms wrote:Posted this elsewhere, but, will include it here since it's relevant to the reasoning behind the Bagley / Jackson efforts, Joe Cowley said on Tuesday that Bagley / Jackson were the targets since the coaching staff thought they were the best fits with Lauri.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/the-bulls-gar-forman-and-john-paxson-are-on-the-clock-and-hopefully-hype-free/

...grab Marvin Bagley III, the player the coaching staff thinks would be the best fit with Markkanen.

...grab Jaren Jackson Jr., the player the coaching staff thinks would be the second-best fit with Markkanen.

I might be in the minority here, but dont draft because of fit with Markkanen. By all accounts, these top few players can be better than Lauri and we might be asking if Lauri fits with them instead. I get the general premise, but I hate reading that WCJ was partly drafted to complement Lauri. Lauri isnt a sure-fire allstar yet either. He looked good his rookie year, but stop acting like he's the franchise player.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#50 » by MGB8 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:37 pm

I feel like this is Kirk Hinrich, all over again.

The Article seems to confirm that the Grizzles would have happy to do a 4 for 7 swap if we took on Parsons.

I would not be surprised if they would have been willing to take some salary back, as well - maybe not Felicio's 24 million remaining, but likely Asik (who might be an asset later on as a non-guaranteed contract, but still, money we don't have to pay), etc.

Carter is "fine" add, just like Hinrich was. A long term solid NBA player.

JJJ is a potential phenom - Carter's size but much faster and more athletic.

So 2 years of salary - where we won't be able to do anything meaningful with that cap space because we won't be good enough or have enough space to attract 2 big FAs together.... was too much to give up to move from "solid" to "phenom."

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
aramada
Analyst
And1: 950

Post#51 » by aramada » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:38 pm

"Bertelstein: I'll give you Porter's medicals first if you promise me to take him
GarPax: OK ... (look at medicals) ... Mark, please, don't make us take that kid. He's broken
Bertelstein: OK then promise you'll take Hutchinson with #22 and take the blame for Porter's slide and I won't reveal your terrible secrets...
GarPax: Deal"
MGB8
RealGM

Post#52 » by MGB8 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:40 pm

Edvedder10 wrote:
logical_art wrote:
With the Grizzlies, who drafted Jackson, the Bulls weren’t interested in swallowing the two years and $49 million remaining on Chandler Parsons’ contract

That was always a pipe dream. This is a cheap cheap organization that sells second round picks despite regularly selling out with a midt to low budget team.

Nick Friedell said on the pre-draft show on espn 1000 that he felt there was no way the Bulls would be taking on that Chandler Parson's contract. That the Bulls are all about having cap space for 2019. Also added many fans will say the Bulls never land a top free agent. He added that not many teams will have cap space for 2019 and Bulls should be in a good spot for 2019 free agency.

We're not going to have much cap space with the LaVine extension, and potentially Portis extension. Felicio's dumb contract plays a part here, too.
MGB8
RealGM

Post#53 » by MGB8 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:41 pm

MBPKOGZ wrote:As one of the biggest FO detractors on here, I'm fine with them declining a trade with Memphis if they wanted 7 plus a future 1st for 4 and Parsons.

That's not what the Article said. It said future first for Atlanta, and then discussing Memphis, said the issue was swallowing Parson's contract. They should have done that.

If we had come out of the draft with JJJ, Parsons (who hurts but might give you something, and only hurts for 2 seasons) and Hutchnison, we'd all be ecstatic right now.
thxfrthmmrs
Sophomore
And1: 70

Post#54 » by thxfrthmmrs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:25 pm

HomoSapien wrote:One other interesting tidbit:

The Bulls performed Porter’s physical two weeks ago because of his locally based agency’s long-standing relationship with the franchise and had a head start on its less-than-promising, long-term prognosis before sharing it with the rest of the league.

I believe they touched on this during the draft coverage, but the Bulls were the team to share Porter's physical. Not sure if that's the coolest thing to do to Porter, but probably helps build their relationship with other teams.

Porter’s dad asked other teams to request a copy of the medical from the Bulls for Porter because they didn’t want to do another medical. Bulls didn’t leak it without Porter’s permission here.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#55 » by FriedRise » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:27 pm

Read on Twitter

It's Lauri's team now.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#56 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:29 pm

Bagley and Lauri could have been absolutely nasty on offense.

Also nasty on defense but in the bad way.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#57 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:29 pm

FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's Lauri's team now.

Yep. Low ceiling rebuild marches on.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,451

Post#58 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:33 pm

FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's Lauri's team now.

Dont like it. This pick (had it probably been someone else but WCJ has a shot) in theory could have or will be better than Lauri too. If we drafted Bamba or JJJ i'm not so convinced that Lauri would be the franchise player of this team in 2-3 years. It's more likely now with WCJ.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#59 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:34 pm

chrispatrick wrote:Didn’t watch enough of the prospects to form strong opinions but if we liked these guys better than carter it certainly seems smarter to take a bad contract in parsons than to hand out a worse contract in LaVine

How could LaVine's contract absolutely be worse. We know Parsons is useless.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#60 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:37 pm

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:
FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's Lauri's team now.

Dont like it. This pick (had it probably been someone else but WCJ has a shot) in theory could have or will be better than Lauri too. If we drafted Bamba or JJJ i'm not so convinced that Lauri would be the franchise player of this team in 2-3 years. It's more likely now with WCJ.

Bamba would have played the same complimentary role as WCJ. I don't think JJJ will be a better offensive player either.

Return to Chicago Bulls