Image ImageImage Image

Are you happy with the direction of the Bulls?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Yes
39%
No
36%
Not sure, want to see how this team preforms next season
25%

Total votes: 177

InsideInfo
Bench Warmer
And1: 769

Post#1 » by InsideInfo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:29 pm

So the draft is over, and I think we all have a good idea of what to expect from FA. We have not been linked to any high profile trade or FA rumors.

I think its safe to assume that they key players on our current roster is fairly close to what its going to be on opening day and the plan appears to be that we draft another player next year and then hit FA in 2019 and try to make a splash.

Knowing all this, are you happy with where we are at, and the direction we are headed?
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,169

Re: Are you happy with the direction of the Bulls? 

Post#2 » by coldfish » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:34 pm

I'm not a championship or bust guy. I don't understand that philosophy as it pretty much means that 80% of NBA fans shouldn't bother watching a game.

I just want a team that is worth watching. For Paxson's early tenure, I was very happy with it. It got a little muddled when Derrick got injured or when BenWa got the team to quit. The late Gar years were just flat out awful. I think that the team is now going in a better direction, so I would answer yes, but there is a long way to go before this team is fun to watch.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,450

Post#3 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:34 pm

We need a superstar wing.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#4 » by Susan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:44 pm

Are they any closer to actually putting together a roster that's Hoiball ready?
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,500

Post#5 » by Dominator83 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:53 pm

Incomplete for now. But they really need to invest some heavy PT in the Young supposed core. Let these guys sink or swim and the cards fall where they may
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
umfan83
RealGM
And1: 3,210

Post#6 » by umfan83 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:57 pm

coldfish wrote:I'm not a championship or bust guy. I don't understand that philosophy as it pretty much means that 80% of NBA fans shouldn't bother watching a game.

I just want a team that is worth watching. For Paxson's early tenure, I was very happy with it. It got a little muddled when Derrick got injured or when BenWa got the team to quit. The late Gar years were just flat out awful. I think that the team is now going in a better direction, so I would answer yes, but there is a long way to go before this team is fun to watch.

There's a middle ground between 'championship or bust' and 'just give me a fun team with no hope of winning a title'. The Bulls seem to be veering way toward the latter, but just my opinion.
RealGM Bulls Board veteran of the following failed epic battles:
-Kobe (2008)
-Amare (2009)
-Bosh (2010 trade deadline and FA)
-LeBron (2010)
-Wade (2010)
-Melo (2014)
Poohdini1
Sixth Man
And1: 1,243

Post#7 » by Poohdini1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:00 pm

Not really. If we get Reddish, Barrett, Langford, or Little next year then I'd feel differently though.
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#8 » by blumeany » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:00 pm

No. Why? Because this FO has never shown me that they have what it takes to build a winner. Scrappy teams? Sure. But more duds than successes. Even when they had Rose pre-injury, they tried to surround him with cast-offs. Apparently they were trying to save some money while they made sure that Derrick was 'the one'. Unfortunately, just as they realized he was, his knee gave out. And the rest is messy history. Honestly, my blind faith won't likely return until Paxson and Forman are out. There's no reason to believe anything will change.
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
blumeany
RealGM

Post#9 » by blumeany » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:02 pm

umfan83 wrote:
coldfish wrote:I'm not a championship or bust guy. I don't understand that philosophy as it pretty much means that 80% of NBA fans shouldn't bother watching a game.

There's a middle ground between 'championship or bust' and 'just give me a fun team with no hope of winning a title'. The Bulls seem to be veering way toward the latter, but just my opinion.

What you want is that Cubs/Blackhawks(well, until recently) kind of feeling. The team that CAN win the title, but may not. Bulls haven't been that way since maybe the two seasons before Derrick busted his knee.
blumeany
RealGM

Post#10 » by blumeany » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:03 pm

Susan wrote:Are they any closer to actually putting together a roster that's Hoiball ready?

I think we're kidding ourselves if we think Hoiberg is the long-term answer at coach. I think he's a stop-gap. If it works out, cool, if not and the team starts getting pretty good, they'll look elsewhere and send him packing.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,355

Post#11 » by pipfan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:06 pm

Yes, I like what we have going into next year. Max cap space in 2019/2020 should make us players, and we have a very solid young core. I believe in Lauri, Dunn, Carter, Nwaba (as a great bench piece) and I am optimistic about Hutch. Lavine is the wild card for me, but he clearly has marginal All Star talent, at least
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#12 » by Susan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:10 pm

blumeany wrote:
Susan wrote:Are they any closer to actually putting together a roster that's Hoiball ready?

I think we're kidding ourselves if we think Hoiberg is the long-term answer at coach. I think he's a stop-gap. If it works out, cool, if not and the team starts getting pretty good, they'll look elsewhere and send him packing.

They just spent 4 years on this guy and never gave him a roster that fit his style.
Ugly Duckling
Veteran
And1: 1,532

Post#13 » by Ugly Duckling » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:15 pm

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:We need a superstar wing.

This exactly. We are well constructed for one with a defensive PG, and shooting at the other positions
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
DJhitek
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,354

Post#14 » by DJhitek » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:16 pm

I'm for being smart and making moves based on realistic expectations and outcomes. When the Bulls are terrible, I want them to take as many shots at the dart board as possible. When the Bulls are great, I want them to understand future development and upside but I'm ok with drafting "safe".

Long story short, yes, I like the direction of the franchise because they moved Butler but the execution hasn't been great. They have sold a pick, made a promise before the NBA combine even started and are now in a tough position with Zach Lavine because of his contract status. Just hoping Markennen pops.
Ugly Duckling
Veteran
And1: 1,532

Post#15 » by Ugly Duckling » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:18 pm

blumeany wrote:

I thought this way as well but dude is a warrior. He's had a couple heart surgeries and his heart makes a audible ticking noise 24/7. Sometimes people who go through difficult situations are able to dig deep and perform at a high level
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,145

Post#16 » by League Circles » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:27 pm

I voted no. I'm too concerned that they're gonna **** up their best chance which is to maximize cap space around these and ONLY these players for next summer:

Lauri
Carter
Dunn

MAYBE Hutchison
MAYBE Lavine (unlikely)
MAYBE their pick next summer
MAYBE an actual impact FA this summer (unlikely)
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Risk Addict
Analyst
And1: 236

Post#17 » by Risk Addict » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:33 pm

I would be much happier if they got rid of lavine
InsideInfo
Bench Warmer
And1: 769

Post#18 » by InsideInfo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:40 pm

Honestly I am worried they are going to go out and sign some average player this offseason and commit money beyond this season.

This 100% how I felt when they signed Falicio. Anyone with half a brain can tell you that Falicio is not a long term piece and he isn't going to suddenly be a starting caliber center....so why lock him up at 8 million a year?

They should sign NOBODY beyond 2019 this offseason. Anyone they go get will be a mistake.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,169

Post#19 » by coldfish » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:58 pm

Its coming. When it does, you just watch out. Teams won't have a clue what to do when Chicago starts running generic college sets with slow, mediocre shooters.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,914

Post#20 » by Wingy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:07 pm

Voted "no." I'm not seeing where we're on track to build a team that's any better than what they were capable of building around Butler.

They're headed right back to being middle-of-the-Eastern-road....which is pretty sad given the East is putrid.

Return to Chicago Bulls