Image ImageImage Image

OT: Bears 2018 & 2019 Regular Season Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, AshyLarrysDiaper, Payt10, RedBulls23, dougthonus, fleet, kulaz3000, Tommy Udo 6 , Ice Man, DASMACKDOWN

User avatar
Red Larrivee
RealGM
Posts: 41,325
And1: 17,643
Joined: Feb 15, 2007
Location: Hogging Microphone Time From Tom Dore

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1141 » by Red Larrivee » Fri Sep 6, 2019 10:28 am

Nobody in their right mind should be contemplating paying Trubisky $30M. As an actual passer, he's not very good

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
User avatar
Red Larrivee
RealGM
Posts: 41,325
And1: 17,643
Joined: Feb 15, 2007
Location: Hogging Microphone Time From Tom Dore

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1142 » by Red Larrivee » Fri Sep 6, 2019 11:27 am

MeloRoseNoah wrote:Is it too hard to be aggressive, take chances, and thrust the ball down the opponent throat especially when you have this kind of defense?

Enough of this conservative crap playing not to lose. Release the training wheel and let Trubisky lead the offense. If he can't do it, get a different QB over this offseason before committing 30-35 mil/yr to this pile of crap. At this point, both Nagy and Trubisky will be replaced very soon.


That's the problem. An offense can't grow if a QB is only capable of excelling at one read stuff. Collinsworth politely called that during the game. Any time Trubisky has to go through multiple progressions, he can't do it quickly AND make an accurate pass on top of it. In the sense of playing the position from the pocket and making accurate passes, Mitch is not a good quarterback.

Last night looked like a coach who was not only hindered by his own play calling, but a limited QB.
User avatar
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 44,503
And1: 4,782
Joined: Dec 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1143 » by dougthonus » Fri Sep 6, 2019 11:42 am

Dominater wrote:Wow was that awful. I guess I was right when I said Mitch is nowhere near good enough to not be playing any preseason and getting work in. The whole "well he can get injured" stuff is a bunch of crap. You can get injured in practice too. In the words of Stacey King: if your scared go buy a dog.

That offense is completely pathetic and this year we get to be the Brooklyn nets for a year: tanking team that doesn't t even own their 1st round pick


Not sure why you think throwing 50 passes in preseason would have made a difference. He probably threw a couple thousand in practice in game like conditions while running their real plays instead of the vanilla playbook going against the vanilla defense playbook.
MalagaBulls
Starter
Posts: 2,250
And1: 628
Joined: Dec 15, 2013
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun Shines)
       

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1144 » by MalagaBulls » Fri Sep 6, 2019 11:47 am

OK, we all know the outcome, it was butt ugly and we booed and pinned the loss and effort on Trub, Nagy, and the O,

But now is the time to either rant or ask why and come up with theories.

According to the article below Nagy simply gets too cute and has made the RPO part of the O too complex for Mitch. Or is it that he cannot and possibly will never be more than a 1 read QB_

You decide and give your opinion. I think by now he should have been way more prepared and experienced with the RPO´s and audiballing. But man he was a "Deer in the headlights" way too much for me.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/mitchell-trubiskys-troubles-wont-go-away-until-bears-stop-getting-cute/7qpprr1878xo103j3akg5o1rd

Trubisky's struggles in an ineffective performance (26-of-45 passing, 228 yards, one interception, five sacks, 62.1 passer rating) gave rise to more hot takes that he will never be as good as the two quarterbacks taken behind him in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft — the Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes and the Texans' Deshaun Watson.

That may forever be the case, but as a third-year pro coming off strong work as a sophomore, he should be, and needs to be, a lot better than what he showed Thursday for the Bears to return to the playoffs — or else the defense's continued domination will prove to be futile.

Trubisky missed plenty of throws against the Packers' pressure and coverages. He looked skittish and couldn't use his athleticism to bail him out. Let's hope the Bears learned what his biggest problem was — their offense has gotten too complicated to support him; it just needs to be complementary.

We aren't calling for them to stop with those newfangled RPOs, because, well, those options help make him effective as a runner and passer. Rather, we're calling for Nagy to stop getting cute with personnel usage that's too diversified.

The Bears' offensive success was misleading last season. They were No. 9 in scoring at 26.3 points per game despite being No. 21 in passing and No. 22 in total yardage. Their defense produced 36 takeaways and 36 of those points. They finished No. 11 in rushing because Trubisky added 421 yards to the total. They ended up with 24 giveaways, the eighth-highest total in the league.

So the thinking might have been, based on Trubisky's highly aided efficiency and big games against weak defenses, to trust him more to spread the ball around. But as we saw in the opener, that's not a very good plan.

Simply, he's not capable of processing all of that like Mahomes can, and he isn't as independent as Watson is in meshing the scrambling with deep-ball throwing.
User avatar
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 44,503
And1: 4,782
Joined: Dec 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1145 » by dougthonus » Fri Sep 6, 2019 12:28 pm

Susan wrote:People were saying the defense was going to regress. Not the entire team.


I don't know. I'm one of the regression people, and I said:
dougthonus wrote:I'm very confident in the Bears defense and extremely skeptical of their offense which seems like a familiar pattern for Bears teams.


dougthonus wrote:I'm not confident in their talent anywhere at the skill positions on offense.


dougthonus wrote:I think this will be a let down season for the Bears. They had an unreasonably good record in close games last year and a massive amount of takeaways. Typically those aren't areas which are sustainable which would point towards a regression to the mean.


Effectively, my stance has been Trubisky (discussed at great length that he wasn't very accurate in many posts) and the other offensive skill players aren't that good, they won't be quite as good in close games, because close games have a large luck factor, and they won't have an unprecedentedly large take away advantage.

Well after 1 game:

They lost a close game.
They lost the turnover battle
Their offensive skill players looked poor.

It has been one game, and I wouldn't panic about the Bears having an awful season. Clearly the defense looks elite and they will certain get better games on offense than this one.

Defense looks elite as ever. Floyd had his best game of the year. Smith is on another level. The D-Line looked great and the secondary played pretty freaking well.


I agree, I thought (and still think) they will be a top 5 defense with a fair shot at best defense. That will keep them good, but I wouldn't be surprised if their offense is middle of the pack and that the combined result is then somewhere on the playoff bubble.

If our expectation is that Mitch is going to play this poorly all season and the offense isn't going to run the ball all year then I dunno man. They'll figure this **** out pretty quickly.

Nagy got too cute and they were a bit overconfident. Miller will show out soon, Cohen will be a gamebreaker, Montgomery will show what he's got.


I didn't see a whole lot of plays where Nagy got too cute out there. They just couldn't execute much of anything. I think their problem is their guys on offense simply aren't that good.

I think one thing that hindered them is that it felt like someone told Mitch he needs to develop as a passer and he took that to mean to stop scrambling and moving and become a pocket passer. While it will help if he's more comfortable in the pocket, the real improvement needs to be in going through progressions and accuracy.

I'm sure he's worked on these things too, but we didn't see the improvement yesterday. These are the areas that will decide whether he ultimately becomes a franchise QB or not IMO.
Nikola
Senior
Posts: 655
And1: 254
Joined: Nov 24, 2013

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1146 » by Nikola » Fri Sep 6, 2019 12:36 pm

Very disheartening loss. If the coaching staff really has this little faith in trubisky this whole team is screwed. The defense is ready now but the offense looks like it needs rebuilt from the ground up. Terrible.
User avatar
MAQ
RealGM
Posts: 45,109
And1: 2,378
Joined: Feb 28, 2006
Location: Dedication
     

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1147 » by MAQ » Fri Sep 6, 2019 12:46 pm

MalagaBulls wrote:OK, we all know the outcome, it was butt ugly and we booed and pinned the loss and effort on Trub, Nagy, and the O,

But now is the time to either rant or ask why and come up with theories.

According to the article below Nagy simply gets too cute and has made the RPO part of the O too complex for Mitch. Or is it that he cannot and possibly will never be more than a 1 read QB_

You decide and give your opinion. I think by now he should have been way more prepared and experienced with the RPO´s and audiballing. But man he was a "Deer in the headlights" way too much for me.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/mitchell-trubiskys-troubles-wont-go-away-until-bears-stop-getting-cute/7qpprr1878xo103j3akg5o1rd

Trubisky's struggles in an ineffective performance (26-of-45 passing, 228 yards, one interception, five sacks, 62.1 passer rating) gave rise to more hot takes that he will never be as good as the two quarterbacks taken behind him in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft — the Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes and the Texans' Deshaun Watson.

That may forever be the case, but as a third-year pro coming off strong work as a sophomore, he should be, and needs to be, a lot better than what he showed Thursday for the Bears to return to the playoffs — or else the defense's continued domination will prove to be futile.

Trubisky missed plenty of throws against the Packers' pressure and coverages. He looked skittish and couldn't use his athleticism to bail him out. Let's hope the Bears learned what his biggest problem was — their offense has gotten too complicated to support him; it just needs to be complementary.

We aren't calling for them to stop with those newfangled RPOs, because, well, those options help make him effective as a runner and passer. Rather, we're calling for Nagy to stop getting cute with personnel usage that's too diversified.

The Bears' offensive success was misleading last season. They were No. 9 in scoring at 26.3 points per game despite being No. 21 in passing and No. 22 in total yardage. Their defense produced 36 takeaways and 36 of those points. They finished No. 11 in rushing because Trubisky added 421 yards to the total. They ended up with 24 giveaways, the eighth-highest total in the league.

So the thinking might have been, based on Trubisky's highly aided efficiency and big games against weak defenses, to trust him more to spread the ball around. But as we saw in the opener, that's not a very good plan.

Simply, he's not capable of processing all of that like Mahomes can, and he isn't as independent as Watson is in meshing the scrambling with deep-ball throwing.

Read the same article this morning and felt relieved to not feel like the only person who thought the personnel scheme is unsustainable for success. The 3 headed back field is too much going on and none of the guys got enough touches to get a rhythm. I also really think Cohen is going to press due to it being a contract year in addition to now sharing the ball with not just 1 additional back but also a back who is practically his replacement in Montgomery. It showed last night with 3 drops.

Beyond that, the offense OBVIOUSLY missed Burton last night. Hasn't he been injured since the start of training camp? That's concerning.

As for Trubisky...more of the same from last year. I remember the word on him being that he was a rhythm player. With that in mind, im more than willing to be patient at the start of the season for the first 3 or 4 games. But I can't envision a scenario where I am comfortable with him at QB. It would take such an extent stretch of consistently good play. like a season+. In my mind he needs to shake the bad qb perception.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
sco
RealGM
Posts: 13,785
And1: 3,296
Joined: Sep 22, 2003
Location: Virtually Everywhere!

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1148 » by sco » Fri Sep 6, 2019 12:56 pm

My take:

1) The "no starters" in preseason kept guys healthy, but at the expense of additional rust. Not sure what is better. Those penalties were a killer.
2) Green Bay defense is better than advertised. Rodgers is hard to keep down.
3) Bears defense did a decent job, but GB O-line did just enough
4) Trubisky needs to get rid of ball quicker...tried to keep plays alive too long. Maybe we lack receivers who can get more separation.
5) Cohen looked very ordinary
:clap:
User avatar
MAQ
RealGM
Posts: 45,109
And1: 2,378
Joined: Feb 28, 2006
Location: Dedication
     

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1149 » by MAQ » Fri Sep 6, 2019 1:09 pm

sco wrote:My take:

1) The "no starters" in preseason kept guys healthy, but at the expense of additional rust. Not sure what is better. Those penalties were a killer.
2) Green Bay defense is better than advertised. Rodgers is hard to keep down.
3) Bears defense did a decent job, but GB O-line did just enough
4) Trubisky needs to get rid of ball quicker...tried to keep plays alive too long. Maybe we lack receivers who can get more separation.
5) Cohen looked very ordinary

All good points. The amount of penalties were staggering. Kept hearing how much better the GB defense was going to be. Guess it was true. And I found myself screaming for Trubisky to get rid of the ball quicker a fair amount of the game.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
User avatar
Susan
RealGM
Posts: 16,163
And1: 3,158
Joined: Jan 25, 2005
Location: jackfinn & Scott May appreciation society
     

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1150 » by Susan » Fri Sep 6, 2019 1:13 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Susan wrote:People were saying the defense was going to regress. Not the entire team.


I don't know. I'm one of the regression people, and I said:
dougthonus wrote:I'm very confident in the Bears defense and extremely skeptical of their offense which seems like a familiar pattern for Bears teams.


dougthonus wrote:I'm not confident in their talent anywhere at the skill positions on offense.


dougthonus wrote:I think this will be a let down season for the Bears. They had an unreasonably good record in close games last year and a massive amount of takeaways. Typically those aren't areas which are sustainable which would point towards a regression to the mean.


Effectively, my stance has been Trubisky (discussed at great length that he wasn't very accurate in many posts) and the other offensive skill players aren't that good, they won't be quite as good in close games, because close games have a large luck factor, and they won't have an unprecedentedly large take away advantage.

Well after 1 game:

They lost a close game.
They lost the turnover battle
Their offensive skill players looked poor.

It has been one game, and I wouldn't panic about the Bears having an awful season. Clearly the defense looks elite and they will certain get better games on offense than this one.

Defense looks elite as ever. Floyd had his best game of the year. Smith is on another level. The D-Line looked great and the secondary played pretty freaking well.


I agree, I thought (and still think) they will be a top 5 defense with a fair shot at best defense. That will keep them good, but I wouldn't be surprised if their offense is middle of the pack and that the combined result is then somewhere on the playoff bubble.

If our expectation is that Mitch is going to play this poorly all season and the offense isn't going to run the ball all year then I dunno man. They'll figure this **** out pretty quickly.

Nagy got too cute and they were a bit overconfident. Miller will show out soon, Cohen will be a gamebreaker, Montgomery will show what he's got.


I didn't see a whole lot of plays where Nagy got too cute out there. They just couldn't execute much of anything. I think their problem is their guys on offense simply aren't that good.

I think one thing that hindered them is that it felt like someone told Mitch he needs to develop as a passer and he took that to mean to stop scrambling and moving and become a pocket passer. While it will help if he's more comfortable in the pocket, the real improvement needs to be in going through progressions and accuracy.

I'm sure he's worked on these things too, but we didn't see the improvement yesterday. These are the areas that will decide whether he ultimately becomes a franchise QB or not IMO.


Sorry Doug! Wasn't calling you out specifically re the regression, the "THIS DEFENSE WILL REGRESS" thing came more from twitter and was what I was speaking to.

Montgomery and Robinson did not look poor at all. Nagy got too cute running Cordalle Patterson at RB on a 3rd and 1. They ran the ball 15 times (11 times with a RB) and threw it 45 times. They absolutely couldn't execute in the first half, the second half was a little bit better but Mitch was zeroing in on Robinson way too much.

Nagy was too in his head. Kick that 51 yard FG when it's 4th & 10. Let go of last year.
User avatar
molepharmer
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,960
And1: 755
Joined: Feb 27, 2002

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1151 » by molepharmer » Fri Sep 6, 2019 1:23 pm

A confluence of errors on offense. Bad starting field position, bad and somewhat predictable play calling, no running game and bad penalties. As long as I've been watching football I don't think I have ever seen an offense take three straight 10 yd penalties and have a 1st and 40. A major clusterf*** compounded by what looked like a better than expected GB defense.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
User avatar
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 44,503
And1: 4,782
Joined: Dec 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1152 » by dougthonus » Fri Sep 6, 2019 1:38 pm

Susan wrote:Sorry Doug! Wasn't calling you out specifically re the regression, the "THIS DEFENSE WILL REGRESS" thing came more from twitter and was what I was speaking to.


Just to be clear, I didn't feel called out at all or that you were responding to me specifically. I'm not a twitter Bears guy, so not sure what is going on there. I'm sure many people felt differently, but I would be surprised if there weren't a good amount of people with my view that they didn't trust the offense and we would just be not quite as lucky in other areas.

Montgomery and Robinson did not look poor at all. Nagy got too cute running Cordalle Patterson at RB on a 3rd and 1. They ran the ball 15 times (11 times with a RB) and threw it 45 times. They absolutely couldn't execute in the first half, the second half was a little bit better but Mitch was zeroing in on Robinson way too much.


Agree that Robinson looked decent, Montgomery also looked pretty good in the few opportunities he had. Not sure what his line was, but whatever it was, he probably played better than that line.

Nagy was too in his head. Kick that 51 yard FG when it's 4th & 10. Let go of last year.


Yeah, that was a disaster, I don't know what you are thinking there. The 3rd and 1 where they did the play action to pass to the TE also seemed a bit to tricky given that they had no rhythm on short passing plays at the time.

One interesting thing is I don't know if you can challenge this as a pass interference, but on the play where I believe it was Robinson who caught the ball but got shoved out near the goal, the shove was initiated before he caught the ball. I think a challenge should have yielded a pass interference penalty for contact before the catch.

At the time I forgot you could challenge pass interference until GB did it later. It was very clear that both hands were in the receivers chest and starting the push before he touches the ball. It was a bang/bang in that it was just before, but if he had to wait that half second later, then there's a good chance the receiver gets his foot down because the push comes later too.
Chi town
RealGM
Posts: 16,240
And1: 3,102
Joined: Aug 10, 2004

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1153 » by Chi town » Fri Sep 6, 2019 1:42 pm

nomorezorro wrote:
Chi town wrote:I’ve watched Nagy piss his pants and get too cute w the playcalls in half a dozen games already.


matt nagy has literally lost half a dozen games out of 18 as a head coach. is every single bears loss a result of matt nagy pissing his pants or have they won a few games where he pissed his pants while losing a few other where he was piss free


I didn’t say lose. That would have happened if he didn’t have an exceptional defense.

Yes Nagy was by far the biggest problem lastnight. Way too conservative early. His offensive guys not ready and play... sloppy. Montgomery needed the ball. That kid can play.
Chi town
RealGM
Posts: 16,240
And1: 3,102
Joined: Aug 10, 2004

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1154 » by Chi town » Fri Sep 6, 2019 1:45 pm

nomorezorro wrote:nagy had a questionable game but he had the bears offense looking miles ahead of where it's ever been last year.

trubisky looked flat-out Not Good, and he's coming off a season where he looked very inconsistent.

one of those is a much more serious cause for concern than the other after one game. (and also the QB playing like crap may have affected the quality of the rest of the offense)


What?!?!?! They scored 3 points. Miles ahead? Don’t know what game you watched.
ATRAIN53
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,385
And1: 1,161
Joined: Dec 14, 2007
Location: Chicago

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1155 » by ATRAIN53 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 2:01 pm

Boooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

That was like going to a bed wedding. Everything was set up for an awesome celebration-
then the groom found out she slept with his best friend right before they walked down the aisle.

at least it wasn't 48min of Packer total domination.
and I loved what I saw of Montgomery. Would have kept feeding him the ball.

15 ruses and 45 passes?
Image
MeloRoseNoah
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,654
And1: 1,111
Joined: Jul 12, 2014
 

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1156 » by MeloRoseNoah » Fri Sep 6, 2019 2:03 pm

A few things that they need to fix on the offense ASAP:

O-line needs to get its head out of its ass. Too many penalties and too many blown assignments.

20-25 running touches plus more snaps on passing plays for David Montgomery. Enough of this bs about spreading the ball and playing scrubs.

Trubisky needs to get it together. I saw him being s little flustered on the postgame interview. His voice was a little shaken from the criticism and boos from the fans. He needs to play better period or he will be replaced.

Matt Nagy needs to be a real offensive guru.
User avatar
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 44,503
And1: 4,782
Joined: Dec 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1157 » by dougthonus » Fri Sep 6, 2019 3:00 pm

Chi town wrote:Yes Nagy was by far the biggest problem lastnight. Way too conservative early. His offensive guys not ready and play... sloppy. Montgomery needed the ball. That kid can play.


I don't see Nagy as being the biggest problem. They looked outclassed by the Packers defense. They stacked the box and either the WRs couldn't create separation to get open or Trubisky just couldn't find them, because they took away the running game and scramble and there was little left.
User avatar
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 44,503
And1: 4,782
Joined: Dec 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1158 » by dougthonus » Fri Sep 6, 2019 3:05 pm

I will say a few things really went against the Bears:

That offensive pass interference call looked like a poor call to me. It was one where the visual made it look like an obvious call in real time, but looking at the replay, it was clear that he didn't exert any force with the push and didn't move the player in any way. There is far more contact than that on virtually every jump ball situation, it just looked bad. I don't blame the ref for throwing the flag because of how it must have looked, but it was a poor call.

The call where they got shoved out of bounds on a long pass should have been pass interference, and I think if it was challenged would have been overturned because contact was made prior to the arrival of the ball with both hands in the chest of the receiver. It was right before, but it was still before.

Those two big plays both took away potential scoring drives and potentially changed the game. Wouldn't say the officials stole one from the Bears by any stretch, because both were questionable, but Nagy blew it IMO in not challenging the push out (maybe no one looked closely enough) and it hurt that a dicey call went against him on that first one (doubt they overturned it if challenged regardless of which way it was called on the field, so initial call hurt them).
User avatar
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 44,503
And1: 4,782
Joined: Dec 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1159 » by dougthonus » Fri Sep 6, 2019 3:08 pm

nevermind, misread the original post.
User avatar
MAQ
RealGM
Posts: 45,109
And1: 2,378
Joined: Feb 28, 2006
Location: Dedication
     

Re: OT: Bears trade for Khalil Mack 

Post#1160 » by MAQ » Fri Sep 6, 2019 3:49 pm

Everyone seems to have missed the "last year" portion of nomorezero's post.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.

Return to Chicago Bulls