Image ImageImage Image

Wendell Carter successful surgery. Update p47

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Re: Wendell Carter season thread. 

Post#721 » by rtblues » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:16 pm

Hands? Really?
Wow, ever watch Portis or Felicio? Now those are some bad hands.

Smaller doesn't mean bad either. So far I haven't seen his hands as being a problem.
He's eons of ahead on the IQ scale for a kid his age and improving in front of us.

He's also been thrown out to face some very good BIGS in these first NBA games for the kid.
and done a respectable job, even drawing a compliment from a couple of vets.

I got no complaints with WCJ's showing and development.

P.S. About the "more emotional" thing, not everyone is that way.
Tim Duncan was a pretty good player who didn't show a lot of emotion.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,816

Post#722 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:48 pm

rtblues wrote:Hands? Really?

Smaller doesn't mean bad either. So far I haven't seen his hands as being a problem.
He's eons of ahead on the IQ scale for a kid his age and improving in front of us.

He's also been thrown out to face some very good BIGS in these first NBA games for the kid.

Barkley, and Kemp had small hands and they were fine as big men.
Why so serious?
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,098

Post#723 » by Mk0 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:17 am

Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I legit love this kid. I want to adopt him and cook him a big family dinner every Sunday.

But from what I see, it like his folks have provided him a better home than I ever could have.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#724 » by logical_art » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:37 am

rtblues wrote:Hands? Really?

So far he hasn't shown good hands and he's got small, guard sized hands. Yes, larger hands make it easier to catch and hold a ball.

It's shocking that because fans want to make a player out to be perfect, they completely disregard facts and logic.

WCJ can be very good player. WCJ's hands may always be a weakness. These two statements are not mutually exclusive folks.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,355

Post#725 » by DASMACKDOWN » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:39 am

Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think Wendell can and will eventually be one of the vocal leaders of the team. And In this case, I am also glad he said this in an indirect way that was respectful.

Basically this in comparison to Joakim Noah when Noah was a rookie.

He in so many ways he said the same thing but Noah was far more aggressive in his approach that rubbed his teammates the wrong way. And they had to put him in his place.

Wendell sort of respectfully said we need a leader as in looking to his veterans on the team to step into that role. Which is the thing to do.

If Wendell implyed that he was going to take over that role - off the cuff as a rookie, the vets wouldnt take that too well. Which was what Noah did.
The Cult of Personality
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,873

Post#726 » by bledredwine » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:27 am

Guys, big and small hands are a myth.

It’s the same situation/myth for pianists- big hands often make it more difficult and only have advantages such as stretching to play octaves and 10ths.

However, 98% of what matters is the technique and coordination of those body parts coupled with mentality. Big hands simply allow you to do some extra things such as palming the ball and catching one handed passes. Carter obviously has no issues catching or dunking, unlike Asik who had large hands and couldn’t catch the ball for a damn.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#727 » by FriedRise » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:40 pm

It's weird when your 19-year old rookie knows more about defense than most more senior on the roster, but that's the reality that WCJ is in. I think if given the green light, he can probably be the vocal defensive anchor on the team especially now with Kris Dunn out. The only wrinkle I see is him telling certain personalities like Jabari what to do - which for some reason I just don't see working (that head tap clip after the terrible oop pass came to mind) - but if he gets the blessing from the coaches, that shouldn't be an issue.

But yeah, that's a tall order for a rookie who's still learning the NBA and still often gets into foul trouble himself. Too much responsibility too soon could also backfire, and the coaches are probably not ready to hand him the reign.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,787

Post#728 » by Jcool0 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:13 pm

Read on Twitter
wolffy
Rookie
And1: 620

Post#729 » by wolffy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's some nice company but the season is young.
wolffy
Rookie
And1: 620

Post#730 » by wolffy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:24 pm

logical_art wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
logical_art wrote:
He's got small hands so it may always be a weakness going forward.

No. It wont be.

You don't believe in facts. He does have small hands. Small hands make holding a ball more difficult.

But somehow, in your fact free world, anything you want to happen will happen.

Im not sure average human sized hands(lol) is even a detriment to holding a ball. I've played tons of basketball and always considered myself to have good hands. You could argue that isnt against NBA comp but catching a ball with one hand is catching a ball with one hand. Its really not very hard. Its more coordination than anything. Ive seen plenty of people struggle with it but its wasnt hand size imo.
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,512

Post#731 » by panthermark » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:31 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

He will never be the flashiest player...but he has "it".

Really looking forward to him, Lauri, and Zach getting some quality minutes together....and Duhon....err...Dunn as well.
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,882

Post#732 » by nomorezorro » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:14 pm

it's weird that anyone would take issue with the notion that carter's hands are a weakness thus far

there was an article in the athletic that included a 2 minute montage of him failing to secure rebounds, getting stripped and having passes bounce off his hands. (in that respect, i don't know that it's necessarily just a 'hands' thing - there are strength/awareness issues in play, too.)

but yeah, it is absolutely one of the few noticeable flaws in his game if you watch him on a regular basis
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,243

Post#733 » by kodo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:22 pm

wolffy wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah I hardly see him keeping it up.
Last year around January Markkanen was easily on track to break Steph Curry's rookie 3 point record, but in the end he didn't make it. Other guys have broken it since like Lillard but Lauri came short.

The biggest issue isn't Wendell it's that most offenses have stopped attacking the basket in the low post as a primary option so there aren't as many opportunities to block shots today vs the era that Alonzo and Shaq played. It's a 3 point chuck fest.

Nothing showed this better than a battle between the EC's two highest scoring centers Embiid & Vucevic. All they did was shoot long range jumpers over each other.
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#734 » by Jcool0 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:40 pm

kodo wrote:
Last year around January Markkanen was easily on track to break Steph Curry's rookie 3 point record, but in the end he didn't make it. Other guys have broken it since like Lillard but Lauri came short.

The biggest issue isn't Wendell it's that most offenses have stopped attacking the basket in the low post as a primary option so there aren't as many opportunities to block shots today vs the era that Alonzo and Shaq played. It's a 3 point chuck fest.

Nothing showed this better than a battle between the EC's two highest scoring centers Embiid & Vucevic. All they did was shoot long range jumpers over each other.

FWIW
Pre All-Star: .354 from 3
Post All-Star .390 from 3 (.431 last 14 games)
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#735 » by Jcool0 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:46 pm

nomorezorro wrote:it's weird that anyone would take issue with the notion that carter's hands are a weakness thus far

there was an article in the athletic that included a 2 minute montage of him failing to secure rebounds, getting stripped and having passes bounce off his hands. (in that respect, i don't know that it's necessarily just a 'hands' thing - there are strength/awareness issues in play, too.)

but yeah, it is absolutely one of the few noticeable flaws in his game if you watch him on a regular basis

GREAT now he will only get 11 rebounds instead of 12..... How will the Bulls survive.... Cant some of you just enjoy someone having a pretty good rookie year instead of looking for things to nitpick?
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#736 » by pylb » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:58 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
nomorezorro wrote:it's weird that anyone would take issue with the notion that carter's hands are a weakness thus far

GREAT now he will only get 11 rebounds instead of 12..... How will the Bulls survive.... Cant some of you just enjoy someone having a pretty good rookie year instead of looking for things to nitpick?

I can enjoy a rookie being pretty awesome while at the same time noticing a flaw in his game.

I think it's more a matter of strength and awareness than size, and both of those are things he'll improve as he grows as a player.
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#737 » by Jcool0 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:01 pm

pylb wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:

I can enjoy a rookie being pretty awesome while at the same time noticing a flaw in his game.

I think it's more a matter of strength and awareness than size, and both of those are things he'll improve as he grows as a player.

No since it is not a flaw. Because it has not in anyway affecting his game.
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,100

Post#738 » by cool007 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:06 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

He is the only teenager to average 2.0 blocks per game.

Hope he keeps it up and does average 2.0+ blocks per game. That would be the first time.
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,100

Post#739 » by cool007 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:07 pm

kodo wrote:
wolffy wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Actually Lauri would have done it if he didn't get injured and started missing games and that messed it up.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,710

Post#740 » by madvillian » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:09 pm

wolffy wrote:
logical_art wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
No. It wont be.

You don't believe in facts. He does have small hands. Small hands make holding a ball more difficult.

But somehow, in your fact free world, anything you want to happen will happen.

Im not sure average human sized hands(lol) is even a detriment to holding a ball. I've played tons of basketball and always considered myself to have good hands. You could argue that isnt against NBA comp but catching a ball with one hand is catching a ball with one hand. Its really not very hard. Its more coordination than anything. Ive seen plenty of people struggle with it but its wasnt hand size imo.

agree completely. you either have soft hands or you don't. Big mitts helps but so does hand eye coordination. Get this dude out there taking some fungos at Wrigley or catching Ultimate disks at Grant Park.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.

Return to Chicago Bulls