Image ImageImage Image

Wendell Carter successful surgery. Update p47

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Re: Wendell Carter season thread. 

Post#761 » by DASMACKDOWN » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:30 pm

This is where I think WCJ should actually take Noah's approach rather than the polite and respectful approach he is taking now.

What he is doing and saying right now is amazing and admirable as a 19 year old kid.

But this isn't the veteran laden team Noah was on when he called them out.
This is a team of young pups and unproven that are just a few years older than he is.

Age doesnt have anything to do with ability to lead.

I do think WCJ will eventually be a Noah type leader because he is the best defender. If he is going to ascend to be an elite defender, he has to be vocal anyway.

Fred unfortunately isnt going to be that voice. Kris Dunn I think wants to be that voice too but he is still working thru his own flaws. Zach can be that on the offensive end, but he is still evolving.

At this point the team is being run on autopilot but when everyone comes back, there has to be a leader or leaders.
The Cult of Personality
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#762 » by TheFinishSniper » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:52 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:This is where I think WCJ should actually take Noah's approach rather than the polite and respectful approach he is taking now.

What he is doing and saying right now is amazing and admirable as a 19 year old kid.

But this isn't the veteran laden team Noah was on when he called them out.
This is a team of young pups and unproven that are just a few years older than he is.

Age doesnt have anything to do with ability to lead.

I do think WCJ will eventually be a Noah type leader because he is the best defender. If he is going to ascend to be an elite defender, he has to be vocal anyway.

Fred unfortunately isnt going to be that voice. Kris Dunn I think wants to be that voice too but he is still working thru his own flaws. Zach can be that on the offensive end, but he is still evolving.

At this point the team is being run on autopilot but when everyone comes back, there has to be a leader or leaders.

Lauri will be good leader. He just injured right now. You can see a lot on social media through posts and texts his support for his teammates. And seems he has good relationship with Zach which is important when he gets back.
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Post#763 » by pylb » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:53 pm

Lauri doesn't seem confrontational and loud enough to be the leader imo. Since WCJ is still a rookie, Dunn and BP look like the best candidates to me, though BP is in an odd situation playing off the bench. Lavine seems too mild.
ChiSox
Sophomore
And1: 46

Post#764 » by ChiSox » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:45 am

I would like to Wendell take more shots at the elbow. Opposing center seem give him the shot but he doesn’t seem confident enough to take the shot. I want Wendell to look for his shot more. I see him being a 20 point scorer in his prime when he gets stronger and extends his range.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#765 » by WindyCityBorn » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:06 am

ChiSox wrote:I would like to Wendell take more shots at the elbow. Opposing center seem give him the shot but he doesn’t seem confident enough to take the shot. I want Wendell to look for his shot more. I see him being a 20 point scorer in his prime when he gets stronger and extends his range.

Carter has the talent to score 15ppg with nothing being run specifically for him. He would be averaging that right now if wasn't bricking open shots that we know he make. I don't know if he will ever be 20 ppg scorer simply because we should have better scorers ahead of him in the pecking order, but he should develop into one of the best two-way players in the NBA. Most guys that protect the rim like him don't have much offensive skill.
waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,661
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#766 » by waffle » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:24 am

pylb wrote:Lauri doesn't seem confrontational and loud enough to be the leader imo. Since WCJ is still a rookie, Dunn and BP look like the best candidates to me, though BP is in an odd situation playing off the bench. Lavine seems too mild.

Oh I don't know about that. He's got quite a bit of scrappy in him and has shown he isn't afraid to get in people's face a bit.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#767 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:39 am

pylb wrote:Lauri doesn't seem confrontational and loud enough to be the leader imo. Since WCJ is still a rookie, Dunn and BP look like the best candidates to me, though BP is in an odd situation playing off the bench. Lavine seems too mild.

You don't need to be loud and confrontational to be a good leader, at least in my opinion. I think the only draw back for Lauri is that he is still young, and it takes time for young players to become comfortable in their own skin to really feel they are capable of leading.

I also think that is one of the problems with this team currently, the majority of the players are still so young. Just look at Zach, he is currently our best player, but he is still only 23 years old.
Why so serious?
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,018

Post#768 » by Chi town » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:50 pm

Like how WCJ was aggressive against Ayton and played up to the challenge.

1. Kid gets so abused by the refs.

2. He needs to be much more aggressive on offense. He should be getting at least three 3s every game and 15 shots. Fred needs to get him looking to score. Give him 4 post up ISOs per game.

3. He has DPOY potential. His instincts are off the charts. I said at draft time WCJ was Capella with a 3 ball. I still believe his D is that good.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#769 » by Chi town » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:52 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:

You don't need to be loud and confrontational to be a good leader, at least in my opinion. I think the only draw back for Lauri is that he is still young, and it takes time for young players to become comfortable in their own skin to really feel they are capable of leading.

I also think that is one of the problems with this team currently, the majority of the players are still so young. Just look at Zach, he is currently our best player, but he is still only 23 years old.

Good posts.

I think Dunn and BP are our leaders too. Zach abs Lauri seem to have become good friends... always clips of them shooting together.

Right now I think arch is our leader. If he keeps playing with confidence and making shots he will be a good enough contributor to demand that respect and truly lead. That would be HUGE for these young Bulls.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#770 » by DASMACKDOWN » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:32 pm

Chi town wrote:Like how WCJ was aggressive against Ayton and played up to the challenge.

1. Kid gets so abused by the refs.

I watched that game again and I swear he only got 1 legit foul out of the 5 he was called for. The last two were totally phantom calls.

This for some stupid reason has been an ongoing story - ESPECIALLY at home - which makes no sense.

This ridiculous initiation that a rookie gets called for fouls but a vet doesn't needs to stop. A foul is a foul. If he isnt fouling, dont call one! Its just that simple.

We shouldnt have to say - Well next year he wont get called for those fouls. Why not this year then? :banghead:
The Cult of Personality
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Post#771 » by R3AL1TY » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:10 pm

Seems like each game Carter can show more on offense but it gets stifled by either foul trouble or certain players not making the right pass.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#772 » by DASMACKDOWN » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:00 pm

R3AL1TY wrote:Seems like each game Carter can show more on offense but it gets stifled by either foul trouble or certain players not making the right pass.

This is why, just under the surface, I am high concerned about Dunn and the PG brigade.

I watch every game and you see Wendell on the pick and roll looking for a lob that never comes. The only person that I give credit for looking for that play is Cam Payne. I believe nearly all the lob plays have come from him.

But Zach doesn't have the vision or the passing ability to make those plays.

This is why all eyes on Dunn when he gets back.

If Dunn is a turnover machine and is cut from the Jerian Grant cloth of pgs, Lauri and Wendell will be in trouble. Someone like Archie is certainly a willing passer, but he and Wendell arent running PnR that often.

Ive said it before, if Lauri and Wendell are treated like 3rd and 5th options on offense, this whole thing will fail.
The Cult of Personality
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#773 » by Jcool0 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:16 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
Ive said it before, if Lauri and Wendell are treated like 3rd and 5th options on offense, this whole thing will fail.

Not 100% worried since I see almost no scenario in which Fred comes back next year. The new coach i would assume will be implementing an actual NBA offense. One in which Lauri wont be ignored for stretches like during his rookie year.
Mr Bulls
Freshman
And1: 106

Post#774 » by Mr Bulls » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Leadership comes in many different forms. You don't always have to be loud and confrontational either. Lauri and WCJ both seem like potential leaders. They both can and will be for this team IMO. There can be more than one.
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Post#775 » by R3AL1TY » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:58 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
R3AL1TY wrote:Seems like each game Carter can show more on offense but it gets stifled by either foul trouble or certain players not making the right pass.

This is why, just under the surface, I am high concerned about Dunn and the PG brigade.

I watch every game and you see Wendell on the pick and roll looking for a lob that never comes. The only person that I give credit for looking for that play is Cam Payne. I believe nearly all the lob plays have come from him.

But Zach doesn't have the vision or the passing ability to make those plays.

This is why all eyes on Dunn when he gets back.

If Dunn is a turnover machine and is cut from the Jerian Grant cloth of pgs, Lauri and Wendell will be in trouble. Someone like Archie is certainly a willing passer, but he and Wendell arent running PnR that often.

I agree. Dunn is on his final hour this year if he doesn't show high value as a starter. And he's showing injury concerns for a guy who has done a little for the past 3 years when given more playing time. The Bulls keep getting PGs that may have one or two traits we like but they all are missing traits the other PG has in order to be a complete player.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#776 » by DASMACKDOWN » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:14 pm

These fake fouls are visibly frustrating WCJ. And rightfully so. I could imagine him getting a tech real soon from built up frustration.

Honestly we have seen rookies get the short end of the stick for years now on this team. But I can honestly say this may be the worst case we have seen.

We have watched guys like Tyson Chandler, Tyrus even Taj early have foul trouble issues. But they were actual ticky tack where they got the arm or made offensive fouls.

But not for WCJ. He is getting the type of fouls where there is no contact and guys just running into him and flopping their arms in the air. The type where everyone looks at the refs and ask what did he do wrong. Someone Fred with his quiet self should be doing.

Of the 3 fouls or more fouls he is getting per game, I would honestly say only 1 is legit. The rest are highly questionable. That shouldn't be. Last night where he fouled out, only 2 you could say were legit fouls. His first one and his last one. The rest were BS.

As the cliché goes, wait a year and he wont get called for those fouls. Which is stupid by the way. I just think there is no way a player like him should be punished as a great defender because he is a rookie.
The Cult of Personality
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#777 » by JimmyJammer » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:43 pm

The NBA is trying very hard to discourage any type of aggressive defense because they think when scoring is up, it becomes more entertaining and generates more interest. Let that sink in a little bit, we are averaging 104ppg, but yet we are 27th in the league in scoring. They are singling out Carter in order to soften him up to the degree where his style of play does not become a hindrance to the new NBA culture. I suspect Dunn will struggle with foul problems as well this season because he is an aggressive defender who only knows one way. In the 90's guys like Dunn and Carter would have been heroes with their styles of playing defense, but not today. If there is one thing Draymond Green was right about is this very subject - the NBA does not want teams playing any type of defense anymore.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,637

Post#778 » by DuckIII » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:48 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:These fake fouls are visibly frustrating WCJ. And rightfully so. I could imagine him getting a tech real soon from built up frustration.

I’ve never seen a rookie treated this badly. I’m not one to get bent out of shape about rookie treatment for the most part, but what WCJ is dealing with is downright criminal.

I hope he does get a tech. I hope he and Fred both get techs and get thrown out of the game. And if it keeps happening to this degree, Fred needs to get thrown out again. And again.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Camintheway
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#779 » by Camintheway » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:41 pm

Y'all should watch how JJJ gets treated by the refs if you think WCJ has it bad.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#780 » by Chi town » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:16 pm

Camintheway wrote:Y'all should watch how JJJ gets treated by the refs if you think WCJ has it bad.

I have. It’s bad. It’s worse for WCJ tho

Return to Chicago Bulls