Image ImageImage Image

Who do you want as the Bulls next HC?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

next coach

Jerry Stackhouse
6%
Monty Williams
13%
Stephen Silas
1%
Jarron Collins
No votes
Ettore Messina
31%
Becky Hammon
38%
Will Hardy
1%
David Vanterpool
2%
Adrian Griffin
7%
Jay Larranaga
1%

Total votes: 85

cjbulls
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Re: Who do you want as the Bulls next HC? 

Post#281 » by cjbulls » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:38 pm

Onibuh wrote:
vvgotgame19 wrote:
Habs72 wrote:
What is a load of crap? That women could coach men in professional sports like men can coach women in professional sports? Were talking about coaching here, not playing with mixed teams so wake the **** up or go back to your cave.

Theres nothing prejudice about it so that's a load of crap. Ironic you telling me to wake up to when you're clearly the one asleep here brainwashed by a leftist feminism agenda. I mean why in the hell is she winning this poll when she's clearly the least qualified to fill such a position? What does anyone know about her head coaching style? What does anyone know about her system?
Nothing. She's never coached on any level before her 3 years as an assistant under Pop, this being her 4th. Not only that but she's never even played in the NBA before. WNBA isn't the same. That's not being prejudice, it is what it is. If she was Billy Hammon instead of Becky he wouldn't be winning.

she knows what it means to be a professional for many years, the travel and the ups/downs of it. She coached the Spurs Summer League Team and good results. She had a quick rise there, She will get Interviews as HC.

Being a professional in the WNBA is nothing like being a professional in the NBA. Their season is like 25 games, they get paid like 100,000. They do not grow up with NBA expectations and responsibilities to friends and families.

They don't even fly private. One team forfeited a game this year because they were "too tired" after a long flight!!!

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/24311430/wnba-aces-forfeit-game-mystics-was-canceled
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#282 » by Axolotl » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:49 pm

cjbulls wrote:One team forfeited a game this year because they were "too tired" after a long flight!!!

This would be a fantastic tanking strategy! "We are resting our players. Yes, all of them".
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#283 » by transplant » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:14 pm

Bobby Jordan wrote:Nothing againt women coaches but I dont think we will see one as HC in the nba

Ever?

Becky Hammon will eventually be a HC in the NBA. If it doesn't happen organically in the next 3 years, which I hope it does, the media pressure will become irresistible. It'll happen within 5 years. Personally, I hope Ms. Hammon is very picky about where she chooses to start her HC career. She'll have a much better chance at success (and it's all kinds of important that she has some on-court success) if she waits for a situation where she has both strong management commitment and a roster with mature leaders who are focused on winning.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,676

Post#284 » by Dez » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:11 pm

vvgotgame19 wrote:
Dez wrote:
vvgotgame19 wrote:
C'mon Bud played 4 years in college, had nearly 20 years as an assistant and had multiple NBA championship rings to show for it. When and if Hammon has more coaching experience and rings to back her up, it's a different story she should be considered on the same level as a man. But she shouldn't be leapfrogging more qualified men just because she's a woman.

You brought up the never played in the NBA thing, I simply countered it.

What proof have you got that she's leapfrogging more qualified people just because she's a woman?

Well she hasn't leapfrogged anyone yet, but just the fact she's getting all this attention for a head coaching gig says enough. Why is she?? Is she getting all this attention because she's a qualified head coach or because she's a woman? She only has 3 years of NBA experience for crying out loud. Other than 1 summer league, no experience leading grown men whatsoever. If this was some guy that played 15 years or whatever overseas and coached under Pop for only 3 years, nobody would be talking about him for a head coaching job. The only thing she has going for her at this time that separates her from the pack is....she's a woman.

Actually she has more than just being a woman going for her, she's into her fourth year as an assistant coach to Gregg Popovich who is the last person that would give someone a job and retain them for four years just because of their gender.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#285 » by Red Larrivee » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:18 pm

cjbulls wrote:Why though? What about her stands out? Because anyone can make up any number of "bright young minds" thorughout the nba, but Becky Hammon is the only one being discussed. The only moderate reason I can think of is because she is on the Spurs staff, but no one talked this about a young Budenholzer, or young Borrego. So while there may be a chance she is one of those young genius people you have to scoop up early, there are 40 others who fit a similar profile but are getting no attention.

Your fun facts are not fun. Kerr player in the nba for 10+ years on multiple championship teams. Brad Stevens was a HEAD Coach of one of the most successful college basketball programs, despite it being named Butler. These people were not assistants, but they had other more comparable experiences than "played in the WNBA" which has virtually no comparability to playing in the NBA.

From what players like Tony Parker and Pau Gasol have said, "played in the WNBA" has translated to "knows basketball." Successful coaches don't have to travel the same path. Kerr, Stevens, Budenholzer, and Spoelstra are all different. Hammon might be the next in that group. I'm not saying it should be a one coach race, but she would be my favorite of the names that are out there.

I agree with you that sometimes we overrate future HC's because of the Popovich/Spurs brand. However, we're just fans and for us working successfully under one of the top coaches ever is at least something.

cjbulls wrote:Being a professional in the WNBA is nothing like being a professional in the NBA. Their season is like 25 games, they get paid like 100,000. They do not grow up with NBA expectations and responsibilities to friends and families.

They don't even fly private. One team forfeited a game this year because they were "too tired" after a long flight!!!

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/24311430/wnba-aces-forfeit-game-mystics-was-canceled

Why does this matter? Gregg Popovich, Brad Stevens and Erik Spolestra never played professional basketball. If you are a good coach, communicator and leader, your background will not matter.
transplant
RealGM

Post#286 » by transplant » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:21 pm

Dez wrote:Actually she has more than just being a woman going for her, she's into her fourth year as an assistant coach to Gregg Popovich who is the last person that would give someone a job and retain them for four years just because of their gender.

I have to throw the flag on this statement. Popovich is certainly not the last person who would give a woman the opportunity to coach in the NBA. He is in fact the only person in the NBA to give a woman this opportunity because he's the only person who is in a position to do this and who feels it is important enough to to it.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

Dez
Head Coach

Post#287 » by Dez » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:02 pm

transplant wrote:
Dez wrote:Actually she has more than just being a woman going for her, she's into her fourth year as an assistant coach to Gregg Popovich who is the last person that would give someone a job and retain them for four years just because of their gender.

I have to throw the flag on this statement. Popovich is certainly not the last person who would give a woman the opportunity to coach in the NBA. He is in fact the only person in the NBA to give a woman this opportunity because he's the only person who is in a position to do this and who feels it is important enough to to it.

So you're saying he's given a spot on his coaching staff for the last 4 years to someone based on their gender?
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#288 » by bullsnewdynasty » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:05 pm

Popovich is also a coach with a known and outspoken political agenda. Not saying she can't coach, but you're kidding yourself if you think he wasn't trying to make a statement on workplace diversity.
transplant
RealGM

Post#289 » by transplant » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:13 am

Dez wrote:
transplant wrote:

So you're saying he's given a spot on his coaching staff for the last 4 years to someone based on their gender?

Uh, no.

My point was that Popovich is not the last person who would give an opportunity to a woman. Rather, because he is a forward thinker and wants to be an agent for social change, he's the first person I would think of to sponsor a woman for a head coaching position.

Dez
Head Coach

Post#290 » by Dez » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:25 am

transplant wrote:
Dez wrote:
transplant wrote:

Uh, no.

My point was that Popovich is not the last person who would give an opportunity to a woman. Rather, because he is a forward thinker and wants to be an agent for social change, he's the first person I would think of to sponsor a woman for a head coaching position.

He wouldn't do it just for the sake of it though.
vvgotgame19
Starter
And1: 757

Post#291 » by vvgotgame19 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:57 am

cjbulls wrote:
Onibuh wrote:
vvgotgame19 wrote:
Theres nothing prejudice about it so that's a load of crap. Ironic you telling me to wake up to when you're clearly the one asleep here brainwashed by a leftist feminism agenda. I mean why in the hell is she winning this poll when she's clearly the least qualified to fill such a position? What does anyone know about her head coaching style? What does anyone know about her system?
Nothing. She's never coached on any level before her 3 years as an assistant under Pop, this being her 4th. Not only that but she's never even played in the NBA before. WNBA isn't the same. That's not being prejudice, it is what it is. If she was Billy Hammon instead of Becky he wouldn't be winning.

she knows what it means to be a professional for many years, the travel and the ups/downs of it. She coached the Spurs Summer League Team and good results. She had a quick rise there, She will get Interviews as HC.

Being a professional in the WNBA is nothing like being a professional in the NBA. Their season is like 25 games, they get paid like 100,000. They do not grow up with NBA expectations and responsibilities to friends and families.

:lol:

This is what we need more of in the NBA! It will reduce injuries and all that unnecessary competitiveness that leads to all those mean technicals.
BigJimFinn
Junior
And1: 347

Post#292 » by BigJimFinn » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:15 pm

transplant wrote:

So you conveniently decided to overlook the last ten words in the statement you decided to "flag" and distort the meaning into a strawman. Then you proceed to declare a fact which is nothing but your personal conjecture, that Popovich feels it is important to give a woman the opportunity rather than hire the best possible people for his team. I also don't understand how, out of the 30 NBA franchises and their management, Pop would be the only person in a position to make such a hire. That's two personal fouls and a technical in one short paragraph.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,311

Post#293 » by coldfish » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:31 pm

BigJimFinn wrote:
transplant wrote:

So you conveniently decided to overlook the last ten words in the statement you decided to "flag" and distort the meaning into a strawman. Then you proceed to declare a fact which is nothing but your personal conjecture, that Popovich feels it is important to give a woman the opportunity rather than hire the best possible people for his team. I also don't understand how, out of the 30 NBA franchises and their management, Pop would be the only person in a position to make such a hire. That's two personal fouls and a technical in one short paragraph.

In transplant's defense, the comment he was arguing with said Popovich would be "THE LAST" coach who would do it. Given his progressive political nature, I have to disagree with that. There are less progressive coaches in the NBA who also want to win at any cost and as a result, they would be less likely to promote a qualified woman than Pops.

I think you guys are splitting hairs though and both of you seem to agree that Pops wouldn't give the job to someone who was not qualified just for the sake of doing so.

I just have to reiterate what I said pages ago. Its really hard for a fan to pick a coach. The most important part is the interview process. Hammon or whomever needs to come in and be questioned about their philosophy, knowledge, how they would handle situations, etc. Then you need references, etc.

If Hammon were to go through that, I would feel pretty comfortable with her as a coach.

Unfortunately, this is the NBA and the Bulls. Hires are frequently about nepotism. The Bulls have virtually ZERO track record of interviewing a coach well. Hoiberg was a buddy who wasn't even vetted. VDN had a binder and a powerpoint presentation. Thibs was an Obama recommendation. Maybe Skiles? It was so long ago I'm not sure how he was hired.

Hammon or not, I seriously question if the Bulls could vet a coach properly. Its almost random luck. Even worse, they seem like one of those incompetent boards that chases buzzwords so if you just get up on the current lingo (pace and space!!!), you get a job.

Maybe this is where Collins could step in and help interview a coach to see if he or she is just an empty suit or not.
vvgotgame19
Starter
And1: 757

Post#294 » by vvgotgame19 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:50 pm

Dez wrote:
vvgotgame19 wrote:
Dez wrote:
You brought up the never played in the NBA thing, I simply countered it.

What proof have you got that she's leapfrogging more qualified people just because she's a woman?

Well she hasn't leapfrogged anyone yet, but just the fact she's getting all this attention for a head coaching gig says enough. Why is she?? Is she getting all this attention because she's a qualified head coach or because she's a woman? She only has 3 years of NBA experience for crying out loud. Other than 1 summer league, no experience leading grown men whatsoever. If this was some guy that played 15 years or whatever overseas and coached under Pop for only 3 years, nobody would be talking about him for a head coaching job. The only thing she has going for her at this time that separates her from the pack is....she's a woman.

Actually she has more than just being a woman going for her, she's into her fourth year as an assistant coach to Gregg Popovich who is the last person that would give someone a job and retain them for four years just because of their gender.

Right, I'm not saying she doesn't have anything going for her. I don't doubt for a second she knows the game of basketball. I said she has absolutely nothing going for her that separates herself as better for the job than literally every single candidate on this list. Yet national media, like USA Today, come up with articles implying she's a lock to become a head coach at some point:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/2013733002&ved=2ahUKEwjFwJL-9N3eAhUhp4MKHS_xBWcQFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw1bbAaKfN1oOkpp782MHAKb&ampcf=1

Where are the national media articles asking why Messina(the more qualified candadite) doesn't have his own team yet? You won't find them because the argument for Hammon is agenda based, and there is no agenda for hiring Messina.

Ultimately I'm sure Hammon would probably do fine as a coach, but this whole 'no gender in coaching' thing is unnecessary and completely agenda driven. Women will always be at a natural disadvantage to men when it comes to a man's league and leading men. It is what it is that's not something we can change just by giving a woman a man's job.
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,600

Post#295 » by BigUps » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:23 pm

I always say this in these threads and I know its about as long of a shot as possible, but this guy intrigues me a lot.....Mike Brey.

Under Brey, Notre Dame has always been a contender in the Big East/ACC. He's won coach of the year, made the tournament 9 times and does this with 4 star recruits. I love the way his team plays every year. I think he has the moxy to control an NBA locker room and I love the way he runs his offense.

In a recent survey to college coaches, he was named as one of the most underrated in all of NCAA BBall. The guy is really a great coach. I realize that he is a complete long shot and doesn't have a pinnacle event on his resume (like a championship), but I don't care. i think he'd make a great NBA coach and one we could actually pry away from the NCAA unlike the Mt. Rushmore of coaches in the NCAA. We could try the Nagy route and come at this with a fresh look like the Bears did.

Who knows, maybe Pax can fall in love with him and hire a coach from his Alma Mater.

Lets give this guy a look for the next coaching job! He can dance like Fred, has intensity like Thibs, but a great personality. Has some Joe Maddon in him with his approach to enjoying the moments too!

MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#296 » by MGB8 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:57 pm

It looks like there is a chance that Dave Joerger and/or Terry Stotts might be available - I'd jump at either of those guys. They also have some assistants that their own management groups have looked into promoting into their places - so those guys might be worth a look as well.

Either Stotts or Joerger would be phenomenal hires for the Bulls. Probably pipe dreams, though.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,311

Post#297 » by coldfish » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:21 pm

MGB8 wrote:It looks like there is a chance that Dave Joerger and/or Terry Stotts might be available - I'd jump at either of those guys. They also have some assistants that their own management groups have looked into promoting into their places - so those guys might be worth a look as well.

Either Stotts or Joerger would be phenomenal hires for the Bulls. Probably pipe dreams, though.

Its funny that Joerger might get fired for not playing Bagley more. Bagley has some of the worst metrics in the NBA.

While I agree that Joerger would be a very good hire, he is the polar opposite of what the Bulls want in a coach. I'm sure that GarPax are going to demand final say in playing time decisions with all future coaches after the Thibodeau era.
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#298 » by Axolotl » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:30 pm

MGB8 wrote:It looks like there is a chance that Dave Joerger and/or Terry Stotts might be available - I'd jump at either of those guys.

Definitely. The Kings have been much better than I among many expected, and Stotts seems to be well liked and have a knack on planning around the players he has.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#299 » by MrSparkle » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:34 pm

I think you give Fred a last shot with a healthy Lauri and Dunn. My prediction for the season was that these two and rookie WCJ would be the keys to the structure of this team’s offense (and defense) — and it’s proving to be the case. Zach as good as he’s been is a auxillary scoring machine. Give him the ball and watch. It’s good to have such a player, better than not having one... but right now Fred is not working with NBA starters capable of running a professional offense. Arci is his best bet, and that’s not a good thing.

I’m not defending Hoiberg, I don’t think he’s a good coach, but atleast he’ll win games (like any other average coach) with this starting line-up:

Dunn
Lavine
Holiday
Lauri
Carter

It’s a solid 5 for a .500 team. The bench is a bit g-league, but ok (Portis, Parker, Arci, Lopez, Hutch). Fred makes many questionable decisions... But atleast drive home the flaws when he has his 2 key starters back. He should be able to win games with those guys and "save face."

But beyond that, I don't like the confusions on both ends, regardless of which Bull is on the floor. The young feisty g-leaguers playing for contracts, they should be buying into Fred's vision for playing their best with their big opportunities. Instead, I don't see anything resembling an NBA effort or schemes. It looks like these guys are playing pickup basketball, and that just makes no sense to me. Either Fred should chew them out and tell the FO to make changes to his roster, or he change his game-plan to better suit their strengths.

Hinkie Sixers and Ainge-Robbery Nets had their D-Leaguers making every game tough for everybody. We are giving up 50 point swings. I do expect a new coach in 2019. Don’t see the point of firing him this season unless a fantastic coach is available.. or again, they want to try Boylen.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#300 » by rtblues » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:00 pm

The 2 leading vote-getters in the poll, by far, have had no previous head coaching experience.
Do we really want to go down that route again?
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016

Return to Chicago Bulls