Image ImageImage Image

Who do you want as the Bulls next HC?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

next coach

Jerry Stackhouse
6%
Monty Williams
13%
Stephen Silas
1%
Jarron Collins
No votes
Ettore Messina
31%
Becky Hammon
38%
Will Hardy
1%
David Vanterpool
2%
Adrian Griffin
7%
Jay Larranaga
1%

Total votes: 85

Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Re: Who do you want as the Bulls next HC? 

Post#221 » by Jcool0 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:46 pm

cjbulls wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
She is not a former player. And she “learned under Pop” for way less years than any of of Pop’s past assistants. Borrego and Budenholzer were assistants for 15+ years. She has 4.

Wait why exactly do you need 15+ years as an assistant? In any other sport they would ask what took so long? Or that maybe they are just career assistants. Would Budenholzer been unsuccessful as a head coach had he been hired in 2005?

I cannot speak to why the Nba has made it this way other than what is obvious, but for years the nba has relied on one of three things to become a head coach

1) NBA playing experience
2) NBA Assistant coaching experience (10+ years)
3) Head coaching experience either in college or Europe

She does not meet any of those qualifications right now. Find me a coach in the last 25 years who doesnt fit those criteria!!!!! Then explain why the first coach ever to get a job without meeting that criteria should be Becky Hammon. The only real answer is because she is a woman and you think it would be cool.

I cannot speak to why the NBA has made it this way... But let me explain its the only way. :roll:
cjbulls
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#222 » by cjbulls » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:55 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:
10-15 NBA benches? Wtf?

Says the guy who follows the Bulls — Floyd, VDN, Hoiberg.

Or conversely a great coach, who had 1 assistant tenure before taking HC reigns: Phil Jackson.

That is 10-15 “years” on nba benches. And you keep bringing up former players. Former nba players are considered by the nba to need less coaching experience because they had years in the nba. Phil Jackson had extensive playing experience for one of the greatest coaches of all time.

I can't imagine Becky Hammon being a worse coach than Hoiberg, VDN, or Kidd at the end of his Nets and Bucks tenures (where his person-ability fell apart and he had no X's and O's to rely on anymore). Popovich doesn't seem like the type of guy who'd promote and approve an unqualified assistant just to make a social statement. He's built the Spurs legacy on quality of effort and preparation, not on gimmicks and big personalities.

Not being worse than bad coaches does not make you a good candidate for a head coaching job. Google Greg Popovich and social issues and I think you'll find he is at least very opinionated on these types of subjects.
cjbulls
Analyst

Post#223 » by cjbulls » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:01 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Wait why exactly do you need 15+ years as an assistant? In any other sport they would ask what took so long? Or that maybe they are just career assistants. Would Budenholzer been unsuccessful as a head coach had he been hired in 2005?

I cannot speak to why the Nba has made it this way other than what is obvious, but for years the nba has relied on one of three things to become a head coach

1) NBA playing experience
2) NBA Assistant coaching experience (10+ years)
3) Head coaching experience either in college or Europe

She does not meet any of those qualifications right now. Find me a coach in the last 25 years who doesnt fit those criteria!!!!! Then explain why the first coach ever to get a job without meeting that criteria should be Becky Hammon. The only real answer is because she is a woman and you think it would be cool.

I cannot speak to why the NBA has made it this way... But let me explain its the only way. :roll:

Again, find me a coach who does not fit one of the three criteria listed above. Then explain why Becky Hammon should be the first coach ever to break those rules. Please (maybe asking nicely will help)?

I don't get why you want to over-promote her? Most likely, the rules are like they are because it is hard to coach in the NBA and someone without one of those 3 qualifications would struggle. So why not wait until she gets there? Second, why risk that players and other coaches will not take her as seriously, or be jealous, when they see she was over-promoted and did not put in her dues?
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#224 » by Jcool0 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:43 pm

cjbulls wrote:
Again, find me a coach who does not fit one of the three criteria listed above. Then explain why Becky Hammon should be the first coach ever to break those rules. Please (maybe asking nicely will help)?

I don't get why you want to over-promote her? Most likely, the rules are like they are because it is hard to coach in the NBA and someone without one of those 3 qualifications would struggle. So why not wait until she gets there? Second, why risk that players and other coaches will not take her as seriously, or be jealous, when they see she was over-promoted and did not put in her dues?

Your hatred of women in sports is not a disqualification for her to be in NBA head coach.

Oh FYI Dave Joerger, current coach of the Kings. Before getting the Grizzlies job he was an assistant for 6 years. He never played in the NBA or was a head coach in college or Europe.
cjbulls
Analyst

Post#225 » by cjbulls » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:11 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:

Your hatred of women in sports is not a disqualification for her to be in NBA head coach.

Oh FYI Dave Joerger, current coach of the Kings. Before getting the Grizzlies job he was an assistant for 6 years. He never played in the NBA or was a head coach in college or Europe.

You forgot to mention he was a head coach in the CBA and D league for 10 years prior to joining an nba bench, winning 5 championships.

Again, why should Becky be promoted faster than any person in modern nba history, other than she is a woman? You keep skipping that question.
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#226 » by Jcool0 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:18 pm

cjbulls wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:

You forgot to mention he was a head coach in the CBA and D league for 10 years prior to joining an nba bench, winning 5 championships.

Again, why should Becky be promoted faster than any person in modern nba history, other than she is a woman? You keep skipping that question.

If WNBA experience doesn't count because its not NBA. Then CBA and D league doesn't either.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#227 » by Chi town » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:58 pm

Jay Wright please.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,263

Post#228 » by kodo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:59 pm

Jcool0 wrote:Oh FYI Dave Joerger, current coach of the Kings. Before getting the Grizzlies job he was an assistant for 6 years. He never played in the NBA or was a head coach in college or Europe.

Yeah that's probably an addendum to the criteria mentioned above.

Joerger was the right guy at the right time. He became Head Coach not due to an extensive NBA portfolio, but because Lionel Hollins was fired by Memphis. Joerger was the Lead Assistant, and naturally took over. When he got the opportunity, he won Coach of the Month twice, and the appointment became permanent.

So another way to become an NBA head coach is to be there when your boss gets fired. This is how Jim Boylan became a Head Coach for the Bulls after all.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,263

Post#229 » by kodo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:05 pm

JimmyButler21 wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
JimmyButler21 wrote:Judging by these options and the results, we're better off just firing GarPax and keeping Hoiberg

Why would you fire GarPax who just drafted Carter/Hutch and not Hoilberg who cant coach?

Because GarPax hired the coach you want fired? And 4 previous coaches you wanted fired.

Paxson also hired Thibodeau & constructed the 2011 team that got us to the Conference Finals.
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#230 » by Jcool0 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:12 pm

kodo wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:Oh FYI Dave Joerger, current coach of the Kings. Before getting the Grizzlies job he was an assistant for 6 years. He never played in the NBA or was a head coach in college or Europe.

Yeah that's probably an addendum to the criteria mentioned above.

Joerger was the right guy at the right time. He became Head Coach not due to an extensive NBA portfolio, but because Lionel Hollins was fired by Memphis. Joerger was the Lead Assistant, and naturally took over. When he got the opportunity, he won Coach of the Month twice, and the appointment became permanent.

So another way to become an NBA head coach is to be there when your boss gets fired. This is how Jim Boylan became a Head Coach for the Bulls after all.

You are acting like this was some kind of in season change were Memphis had no choice. This was an off season change. George Karl & Alvin Gentry were also under consideration at the time. No addendum needed.
cjbulls
Analyst

Post#231 » by cjbulls » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:15 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:

If WNBA experience doesn't count because its not NBA. Then CBA and D league doesn't either.

Stop conflating terms. Head coaching experience in lower level leagues counts for nba head coaching. It happens all the time with college coaches and European coaches. Playing in the WNBA does not.

Jcool0
RealGM

Post#232 » by Jcool0 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:16 pm

cjbulls wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:

Stop conflating terms. Head coaching experience in lower level leagues counts for nba head coaching. It happens all the time with college coaches and European coaches. Playing in the WNBA does not.

You keep making excuses and changing the bar. Why?
cjbulls
Analyst

Post#233 » by cjbulls » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:24 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:

I have not, you’re just not catching on to these known concepts because you’re so caught up in blindly supporting Becky. You still won’t answer the question

Jcool0
RealGM

Post#234 » by Jcool0 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:32 pm

cjbulls wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:

I have not, you’re just not catching on to these known concepts because you’re so caught up in blindly supporting Becky. You still won’t answer the question

Uh you have done it almost every time you reply to me. Everytime i counter you, you change it and then i counter it and you change it. You are just going to have to admit you have no argument.

Your first problem is you think i blindly support Hammon. She is not my first choice But the "don't hire her because she is a women" is just dumb.

Here is some fun stats for you:

Two-thirds of the head coaches in the NBA have been in their current position for fewer than three years.

Of the NBA coaches who have coached at least 20 seasons, 40.0% never won a championship. If we expand that to coaches with at least 15 years of experience, it grows to 53.8%.

So clearly your "formula" for hiring NBA head coaches isn't working.
cjbulls
Analyst

Post#235 » by cjbulls » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:37 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:

Uh you have done it almost every time you reply to me. Everytime i counter you, you change it and then i counter it and you change it. You are just going to have to admit you have no argument.

Your first problem is you think i blindly support Hammon. She is not my first choice But the "don't hire her because she is a women" is just dumb.

Here is some fun stats for you:

Two-thirds of the head coaches in the NBA have been in their current position for fewer than three years.

Of the NBA coaches who have coached at least 20 seasons, 40.0% never won a championship. If we expand that to coaches with at least 15 years of experience, it grows to 53.8%.

So clearly your "formula" for hiring NBA head coaches isn't working.

There are 30 teams and only one can win. Plus the NBA system is naturally prone to dynasties. That doesn’t mean the hiring process is wrong, at least not as you broke it down. It just shows very few coaches can win.

You keep saying this is an attack on her as a woman which is only a secondary issue at this point. Again, why should Becky be promoted faster than any person in modern nba history, other than she is a woman? You keep skipping that question.
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#236 » by Jcool0 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:00 pm

cjbulls wrote:
There are 30 teams and only one can win. Plus the NBA system is naturally prone to dynasties. That doesn’t mean the hiring process is wrong, at least not as you broke it down. It just shows very few coaches can win.

You keep saying this is an attack on her as a woman which is only a secondary issue at this point. Again, why should Becky be promoted faster than any person in modern nba history, other than she is a woman? You keep skipping that question.

NFL, NHL, and MLB have a combined 28.0% of the coaches with 20+ years of experience never won a title, and the rate is 34.7% for those with 15+ seasons. So clearly NBA has a coaching hiring problem.

No its the #1 issues for you. If she was a man you probably be pushing the pick hard core.

And please stop posting this false narrative "promoted faster than any person in modern nba history".

If this will finally shut you up (but i am sure it wont):

1. Hammon has coached the Spurs summer league team twice, winning a title. She also coached in the preseason. So unlike someone like Joerger actually coached NBA players before becoming an NBA head coach.

2. She has coached under maybe the best coach in NBA history who has a history of producing successful head coaches.

3. "And those who know Hammon rave about her instincts and understanding of the game. She’s quickly established a reputation as an “out-of-the-box thinker” who appreciates the practical application of situational strategy but also the pursuit of new ideas and innovation, like her mentor, who has emphasized that the former point guard knows as much about the pick-and-roll as Tony Parker."

http://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/73472/73472

4. https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pau-gasol-becky-hammon
cjbulls
Analyst

Post#237 » by cjbulls » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:16 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:

NFL, NHL, and MLB have a combined 28.0% of the coaches with 20+ years of experience never won a title, and the rate is 34.7% for those with 15+ seasons. So clearly NBA has a coaching hiring problem.

No its the #1 issues for you. If she was a man you probably be pushing the pick hard core.

And please stop posting this false narrative "promoted faster than any person in modern nba history".

If this will finally shut you up (but i am sure it wont):

1. Hammon has coached the Spurs summer league team twice, winning a title. She also coached in the preseason. So unlike someone like Joerger actually coached NBA players before becoming an NBA head coach.

2. She has coached under maybe the best coach in NBA history who has a history of producing successful head coaches.

3. "And those who know Hammon rave about her instincts and understanding of the game. She’s quickly established a reputation as an “out-of-the-box thinker” who appreciates the practical application of situational strategy but also the pursuit of new ideas and innovation, like her mentor, who has emphasized that the former point guard knows as much about the pick-and-roll as Tony Parker."

http://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/73472/73472

4. https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pau-gasol-becky-hammon

Why would I be pushing for a coach with no playing experience and little coaching experience (yes, that limited experience includes coaching summer league,lol). Why wouldn’t I at least want Messina who is on the same staff, “blessed” by Pop (as you deem important) and has more assistant coaching experience plus head coaching experience.

I don’t really care that one player likes a coach. I could find players who would nominate an assistant coach on every team in the league.

And please stop linking to the biggest socially progressive thinkers in the nba world as your sources. Pop, Gasol and Kevin Arnovitz are all known for this and it skews their credibility on the topic. What’s next, linking an article from ESPNW saying Becky is a great coach.

You can drop off the conversation now. It’s clear she doesn’t have the credentials and what your agenda is. I’m sorry that I’m not allowed to recognize it would be a stupid decision to hire her without you thinking I hate women.
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#238 » by Jcool0 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:43 pm

cjbulls wrote:Why would I be pushing for a coach with no playing experience and little coaching experience (yes, that limited experience includes coaching summer league,lol). Why wouldn’t I at least want Messina who is on the same staff, “blessed” by Pop (as you deem important) and has more assistant coaching experience plus head coaching experience.

I don’t really care that one player likes a coach. I could find players who would nominate an assistant coach on every team in the league.

And please stop linking to the biggest socially progressive thinkers in the nba world as your sources. Pop, Gasol and Kevin Arnovitz are all known for this and it skews their credibility on the topic. What’s next, linking an article from ESPNW saying Becky is a great coach.

You can drop off the conversation now. It’s clear she doesn’t have the credentials and what your agenda is. I’m sorry that I’m not allowed to recognize it would be a stupid decision to hire her without you thinking I hate women.

I dont know...Why don't you want Messina? I put him on the list? Why are you against him? Do you hate all Spurs coaches? Seems like the more you reply the worst you make things for yourself. Maybe its best you just stop.
cjbulls
Analyst

Post#239 » by cjbulls » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:44 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:Why would I be pushing for a coach with no playing experience and little coaching experience (yes, that limited experience includes coaching summer league,lol). Why wouldn’t I at least want Messina who is on the same staff, “blessed” by Pop (as you deem important) and has more assistant coaching experience plus head coaching experience.

I dont know...Why don't you want Messina? I put him on the list? Why are you against him? Do you hate all Spurs coaches? Seems like the more you reply the worst you make things for yourself. Maybe its best you just stop.

I don’t have anything against Messina. I answered your hypothetical with why I wouldn’t consider Hammon regardless of gender. Why aren’t you getting this?
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#240 » by Jcool0 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:47 pm

cjbulls wrote:
I don’t have anything against Messina. I answered your hypothetical with why I wouldn’t consider Hammon regardless of gender. Why aren’t you getting this?

Who said you couldn't consider Hammon? Are you under the impression you cant? Did you miss me just saying he was on the list? Are you okay? Maybe take a break.

Return to Chicago Bulls