Image ImageImage Image

we will go hard after KD, and should..

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,236

Re: we will go hard after KD, and should.. 

Post#21 » by kodo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:28 pm

Durant’s timeline and the Bulls timeline doesn’t mesh.

The Bulls core (including Lauri & Carter) all need to be in their prime to contend and Wendell is 19. He’s what, 5 years away at a minimum?

Durant will be 31 on his next contract, he’s going to wait until he’s 36 for the Bulls to mature? I don't see it.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,086

Post#22 » by MGB8 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:29 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
MGB8 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
While it is obviously unlikely to happen, I can see absolutely no merit in the argument "the Bulls shouldn't devote too much effort to it." First, if the Bulls don't devote the requisite effort, then it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Second, what the hell do they have to lose?

I can think of nothing more depressing than rooting for a team whose attitude is "we can't land the big names, so let's not try." I'd rather have delusions of grandeur.

Do you remember the waste of effort on Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady (when they had a shot)? Or even on Lebron? Had the Bulls not wasted time on those guys, they would have not had to sign "left-overs" (or, in the case of Lebron, lose a first round pick to move Hinrich's contract).

A few things:

1. I remember all of them, and every one was worth doing. I'd rather be among the teams that gets a meeting with LeBron than the ones that don't. It was better when the Bulls were in the former group rather than the latter.

2. The bulls didn't move a first round pick, exactly, to unload Hinrich. They traded the rights to Kevin Seraphin. So rather than trading some future unknown commodity, they traded a known thing. You may still find that unpalatable, but it's an important distinction.

3. It's totally false to say the Bulls would not have had to sign "leftovers" after failing to sign Hill and McGrady. That, by definition, is what they had to do. The same goes for signing Boozer after failing to get LeBron. I don't think you're suggesting the Bulls pursued the wrong superstars; you're suggesting they not pursue superstars at all - i.e. resigning yourself to signing "leftovers" without even taking swings at the big names. That's crazy talk.

4. This zero-sum attitude toward GM activity is weird. The Bulls can both aggressively pursue free agents they are unlikely to sign AND scout draft picks, mid-tier free agents, pursue trades, etc. If they can't, they need more staff.

No, they could have focused less on big names, and more on building, so that they could be in a better position to land big names at a future date.

Meanwhile, the Bulls picked Seraphin for the Wizards - they didn't select him and then trade the rights later on. It was already a done deal, but could not be completed until July 8. Had they not done that, they could have selected Bledsoe or Avery Bradley (yeah, this was with pre-injury Rose, but SG was still more a need). And they could have focused on signing Joe Johnson (over Boozer) as the starting 2.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,983

Post#23 » by Chi town » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:50 pm

How well will KD age?

What will be his max contract cost? 35M per?
Bobby Jordan
Sophomore
And1: 84

Post#24 » by Bobby Jordan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:23 pm

So much negativity as unusual lol.. I wouldn't bet on him comming here but we can afford to max him out, put him with Zach, lauri, carter we are almost instant favorites in the east. Oh yea he I is definitely leaving gsw
Bobby Jordan
Sophomore
And1: 84

Post#25 » by Bobby Jordan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:24 pm

Ithink we have more of a chance then most think
Poohdini1
Sixth Man
And1: 1,243

Post#26 » by Poohdini1 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:47 pm

DuckIII wrote:
jc23 wrote:Personally I find kd annoying.

Draymond Green is not the type of guy I enjoy defending when it comes to his personality, but I'm with him on this one. KD getting all bent out of shape over who possesses the ball at the end of a random regular season game against the Clippers is ridiculous. This event says more about KD than Draymond in my opinion.

He asked him why he didn't pass him the ball. Drayfumbled it instead of passing to (A) Looney running the lane, (B) Iggy on the left wing, (C) a trailing Klay to his right, or (D) a 7' scoring machine standing literally right next to him.

You don't get to be as abrasive & outgoing towards teammates & coaches as Dray is without be able to take criticism for an obvious bad decision & mistake. There's a reason Dray got suspended without pay instead of just getting a DNP. He crossed a line attacking KD and his pockets.
Poohdini1
Sixth Man
And1: 1,243

Post#27 » by Poohdini1 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:50 pm

On topic though, you go all in for KD. You chase a hall of famer when you have cap space, simple as that.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,355

Post#28 » by pipfan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:56 pm

If KD wants another MVP-we are the team. Huge market, great young core. We jump up over 20 wins, an instant contender. Lavine is a perfect #2, and Lauri is awesome too. Carter is a vet-rookie. It is up to Dunn. Plus, we have bench pieces in place
navdeep_singh
Senior
And1: 291

Post#29 » by navdeep_singh » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:03 pm

The funny thing is, LeBron won two of four championships with the heat; if he and Bosh chose the Bulls, we would’ve won four out of four . Could there be any doubt? Assuming Rose doesn’t get hurt.

Adding KD to this team now makes it the top team in the east for years to come, unless Boston gets lucky with one of their many draft picks and gets one of the Duke men.

Which is why it will never happen :(
sh0ck
Starter
And1: 1,024

Post#30 » by sh0ck » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:04 pm

Doesn't hurt to try.

Plus, there really aren't that many great situations to go to that have max free agency slots now.

Bulls would be an interesting place, no clear leader yet, good shooting core, good market size.

However, for him to rebuild his personal legacy (as one of the greatest ever), maybe BKN or NYK would amplify his narrative more. But I think it would be really difficult for him to win there.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,778

Post#31 » by jc23 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:32 pm

If im KD i go to a team that i put over the top as title favorites. A team like philly or boston. Then after four years you most likely have more titles then lebron, you just out did lebron at his own game and maybe people see you as this generations best player.
Be curious, Not judgmental
sh0ck
Starter
And1: 1,024

Post#32 » by sh0ck » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:37 pm

jc23 wrote:If im KD i go to a team that i put over the top as title favorites. A team like philly or boston. Then after four years you most likely have more titles then lebron, you just out did lebron at his own game and maybe people see you as this generations best player.

Both Philly (after maxing Butler) and Boston will be capped out next year.
jc23
RealGM

Post#33 » by jc23 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:52 pm

sh0ck wrote:
jc23 wrote:If im KD i go to a team that i put over the top as title favorites. A team like philly or boston. Then after four years you most likely have more titles then lebron, you just out did lebron at his own game and maybe people see you as this generations best player.

Both Philly (after maxing Butler) and Boston will be capped out next year.

i thought philly still had room
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#34 » by ATRAIN53 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:52 pm

signing here does nothing for his legacy-

and he's a fool if he leaves GS.

For a while I thought he should go to NYC after this year. That Knicks championship is really the biggest sports prize out there left. (besides maybe the Indians WS title)

and it's pretty well known his agent Rich Klieman is a Knicks fanatic and is angling for as job in their FO.

but as Simmons has been pointing out - if he stays in GSW with that core - they have a chance to win MORE than The Bulls or Lakers and really cement that GSW as the best team EVER. They are like 1/2 way there already.

but as was the case with the Bulls run - all those years together ego, feelings and jealousy start to take over and distract them for their original mission of winning titles. Those guys accepted him in and everyone has sacrificed $$$ to keep it together. It's pretty clear they are expecting more commitment from him and he's not sure what he wants to do.
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,899

Post#35 » by weneeda2guard » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:58 pm

Bobby Jordan wrote:So much negativity as unusual lol.. I wouldn't bet on him comming here but we can afford to max him out, put him with Zach, lauri, carter we are almost instant favorites in the east. Oh yea he I is definitely leaving gsw

I don't think it's a guarantee durant is gone, warriors might choose durant over draymond
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
jc23
RealGM

Post#36 » by jc23 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:19 pm

weneeda2guard wrote:
Bobby Jordan wrote:So much negativity as unusual lol.. I wouldn't bet on him comming here but we can afford to max him out, put him with Zach, lauri, carter we are almost instant favorites in the east. Oh yea he I is definitely leaving gsw

I don't think it's a guarantee durant is gone, warriors might choose durant over draymond

i think with the suspension they already have. Its up to KD at this point. That franchise is like any other and will go for the best player. I mean they could have kept Barnes if they really wanted to.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,450

Post#37 » by samwana » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:26 pm

jc23 wrote:Personally I find kd annoying.
Me too jc, you're not alone.

Sent from my SM-G920F using RealGM mobile app
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#38 » by PaKii94 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:01 pm

KD is a b*tch but definitely a premier talent. Since last season I have been saying a big wing and a legit center is what we need to jump to the next tier. We luckily found our legit center in Wendell. I was hoping parker could be the legit wing but nope. KD would definitely fit into it though.

Say we somehow got AD to come play along?

Dunn/Lavine/KD/Lauri/AD
Vet PG/denzel/hutch/portis/Wendell
Archi/blakeney/draft pick/draft pick/felicio

That's definitely a contender...
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,532

Post#39 » by DuckIII » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:08 am

coldfish wrote:If there are 20 teams chasing a player and the Bulls are the 2nd most attractive spot, then they don't get the player.

IMO, its worth the conversation. Bulls would be remiss in their duties if they didn't call. That said, don't bash the FO. They can talk to the player on July 1 but they can be talking to his agent right now. Teams have a pretty good feel for who is available at what price well before free agency starts. If they don't bring out Benny the Bull, its because KD's agent said not to bother.

That's part of the reason why "the Decision" was so unprofessional. They were stringing teams on for months that had no chance of landing Lebron.

I think you should make a note to yourself to start a thread with this post on July 1st every year.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,532

Post#40 » by DuckIII » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:11 am

Daxel wrote:KD doesn't want to be The Guy, so he is not coming here unless Lauri or Lavine start playing at supertar level.
The team that will land KD will be a team with another established supertar, that is if you believe he is leaving GS, I don't.

I don't agree. I think he very much wants to be "the guy" at his next stop. He's been relentlessly hounded and chastised for being a soft, sissy who took the easy way out and hasn't really earned his championships.

I don't particularly agree with that narrative, but there is no doubt at all that he is extremely troubled by it. I mean, the guy pretends to be other people on social media so he can defend himself. And that's just one example.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Return to Chicago Bulls