Image ImageImage Image

Around the NBA 18/19 Season #2

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,041

Re: Around the NBA 18/19 Season #2 

Post#1981 » by FriedRise » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:25 pm

For $20M, would you take Russell or Brogdon? Both are RFAs.

Brogdon requires the ball less, has a higher FG%, and is a better defender, but Russell is more of a scoring threat overall and is 3 years younger. Brogdon won't take shots away from Zach or Lauri, but his upside isn't as high as Russell.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#1982 » by ATRAIN53 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:55 pm

dumbell78 wrote:
GhostOfChicago wrote:Not NBA related but Hoiberg will be coaching again next season.
Read on Twitter

Happy for him but I thought he could do better. I would rather do yoga and sip coffee myself, Nebraska isn't exactly one of my go to destinations. He's a small town guy though so I guess he wants what he wants.

That's pretty big for Hoiberg.

Nebraska is a Big 10 school so he's gonna be coaching against his own kid and Izzo for 3 more years!
We'll get to see him vs Northwestern - he'll be at the UC for the Big 10 Tourney and gets a free trip to HI and maybe a shot at coaching against Coach K in the Big 10/ACC Challenge.

Other than moving to the ACC or maybe the BIG 12 - this is about as good a job as he's gonna land that isn't NBA.

The guy he replaces made @ 2 mil

If he gets a 3mil per it's more than NU is paying Collins and IL is paying Underwood!

Nice work mayor!
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#1983 » by ATRAIN53 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:06 pm

Read on Twitter

The Jimmer is back!!!!

madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,695

Post#1984 » by madvillian » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:34 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:
dumbell78 wrote:
GhostOfChicago wrote:Not NBA related but Hoiberg will be coaching again next season.
Read on Twitter

Happy for him but I thought he could do better. I would rather do yoga and sip coffee myself, Nebraska isn't exactly one of my go to destinations. He's a small town guy though so I guess he wants what he wants.

That's pretty big for Hoiberg.

Nebraska is a Big 10 school so he's gonna be coaching against his own kid and Izzo for 3 more years!
We'll get to see him vs Northwestern - he'll be at the UC for the Big 10 Tourney and gets a free trip to HI and maybe a shot at coaching against Coach K in the Big 10/ACC Challenge.

Other than moving to the ACC or maybe the BIG 12 - this is about as good a job as he's gonna land that isn't NBA.

The guy he replaces made @ 2 mil

If he gets a 3mil per it's more than NU is paying Collins and IL is paying Underwood!

Nice work mayor!

Tough recruiting base. As good of a hire as NU can make but have to wonder how badly Hoiberg has fallen around the world of basketball if that was his best offer.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
FecesOfDeath
Head Coach
And1: 1,675

Post#1985 » by FecesOfDeath » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:20 pm

If Terry Stotts and Quin Snyder can come back from below average coaching career arcs, so can Fred Hoiberg.
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,512

Post#1986 » by panthermark » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:34 pm

Good for Fred.....
Keep in mind that it is about a 3.5 hour drive from Ames to Lincoln.... So he really isn't that far from "home". Although I would probably want to continue doing yoga and drinking coffee myself.
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,049

Post#1987 » by erlim » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:14 pm

Sucks that Rose chipped his elbow, but anything is better than a knee issue these days. All things considered, he had a wonderful comeback this season.
Chicagoat
Pro Prospect
And1: 979

Post#1988 » by Chicagoat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:17 pm

FriedRise wrote:For $20M, would you take Russell or Brogdon? Both are RFAs.

Brogdon requires the ball less, has a higher FG%, and is a better defender, but Russell is more of a scoring threat overall and is 3 years younger. Brogdon won't take shots away from Zach or Lauri, but his upside isn't as high as Russell.
Brogdon since the fit is better for us. Unless Lavine gets moved. I would rather have Brogdon. Rubio could be a nice consolation prize as a stop gap for the team.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
AKME? More like MEAK with how they're afraid to make a move to push us in one direction.

Continuity :banghead: :banghead:
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#1989 » by TheFinishSniper » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:32 pm

Do you think Bulls make Russell offer if we strike out PG in the draft this summer?
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,519

Post#1990 » by dice » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:19 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:Do you think Bulls make Russell offer if we strike out PG in the draft this summer?

no. but the Russian will probably max him out anyway
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#1991 » by Ccwatercraft » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:39 pm

Chicagoat wrote:

Brogdon since the fit is better for us. Unless Lavine gets moved. I would rather have Brogdon. Rubio could be a nice consolation prize as a stop gap for the team.

Brogdon because it's a less likely match with controlling team.

What other teams could make such an offer?
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,512

Post#1992 » by panthermark » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:53 pm

Chicagoat wrote:

Brogdon is a better fit....but I probably take talent (and age) in this case....so I go with Russell. I wonder why his FT attempts dropped this year?
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,232

Post#1993 » by kodo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:56 pm

dumbell78 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Head Coach for a Big 10 school is probably higher on the coaching echelon than an NBA team. College coaches are GM/Presidents while NBA coaches are short term contractors to be discarded as soon as things don't go well. A lot of top college coaches have been offered NBA jobs and generally refuse since it can be a step down.

Izzo makes $4.5M per year and will keep making that for as long as he wants to coach and he has full control of the program, recruiting, everything. An NBA coach like Hoiberg might get $4-$5M per year on a short term contract and who knows, may never coach in the NBA again.

That being said, Nebraska isn't a Ohio State or Michigan State.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,232

Post#1994 » by kodo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:00 pm

Russell easily.

Brogdon will be 27 next year, Russell will be only 23. If we were competing right now I'd take Brogdon but it will be years before the Bulls are aspiring to something more than just making the playoffs. By then Brogdon will be 30.

I am 100% done with giving big FA money to non-star guys who look good now but will be in their 30s in their contract with us. We've done this so many times with Ben Wallace & Carlos Boozer & Gasol & Wade. Never again if I had any say.

That being said, I really doubt Russell is gettable as per my earlier post. Brooklyn has no qualms about massively overpaying guys, they'll easily go full max on Russell if that's what it takes to keep him.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,289

Post#1995 » by dumbell78 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:01 am

kodo wrote:
dumbell78 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Head Coach for a Big 10 school is probably higher on the coaching echelon than an NBA team. College coaches are GM/Presidents while NBA coaches are short term contractors to be discarded as soon as things don't go well. A lot of top college coaches have been offered NBA jobs and generally refuse since it can be a step down.

Izzo makes $4.5M per year and will keep making that for as long as he wants to coach and he has full control of the program, recruiting, everything. An NBA coach like Hoiberg might get $4-$5M per year on a short term contract and who knows, may never coach in the NBA again.

That being said, Nebraska isn't a Ohio State or Michigan State.

I get all that but like you said its one thing coaching a top tier Michigan St or Michigan team, Nebraska is the G league affiliate in real life. The money is great but it has be for Nebraska to actually land a legit coach. Fred was getting paid no matter what spot he took. He could have waited and probably received more interest after the tourney, he was rumored to be liked by UCLA for example. That is a prominent coaching spot, Nebraska with all its money and autonomy? No not really.

I mean try rolling up to Inner City, America and convince a top recruit that Nebraska is where he needs to be.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#1996 » by bearadonisdna » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:06 am

Yes Russell easily. He is an all star in the same conference.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,219

Post#1997 » by Dan Z » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:07 am

I know some people here were interested in Tyus Jones. Am I missing something? I'm looking at his stats and they're underwhelming.
.393 shooting, 4.2 assists, 5.9 points in 21.3 minutes.

Is he a good defender?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jonesty01.html
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,313

Post#1998 » by Mbrahv0528 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:57 am

Dan Z wrote:I know some people here were interested in Tyus Jones. Am I missing something? I'm looking at his stats and they're underwhelming.
.393 shooting, 4.2 assists, 5.9 points in 21.3 minutes.

Is he a good defender?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jonesty01.html
Kriss Dunn syndrome. The type of player that one hopes to take a flier on in the hopes that the team he's on just isn't/didn't use him correctly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,426

Post#1999 » by ImSlower » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:01 am

Go Hawks Go
aguifs
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,435

Post#2000 » by aguifs » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:06 am