Image ImageImage Image

Around the NBA 18/19 Season #2

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,918

Re: Around the NBA 18/19 Season #2 

Post#701 » by RSP83 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:21 am

I hope Minny retain Rose service next season and beyond. Looks like he's at peace there. 7-8 mil 3 years contract should be reasonable for him. I'll take it if I were Rose. He alread has that Adidas deal.

Another scenario, is the Spurs. This version of Rose reminds me of prime Tony Parker. Both didn't take too many 3s, but can hit them at respectable rate. And both are strong finisher in the lane. C'mon Pops, do it!
RastaBull
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,599

Post#702 » by RastaBull » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:38 am

I love Dread Rose!

I really want to buy the Prince-themed Rose jersey. I'm just afraid ... last time I bought a Rose jersey I never really got to wear it while he was playing haha

Watching the whole game highlights of him ... he's floating through the air on transition/layups like everything is still there.

Doctor Drain wrote:Can a butterfly sing?
RastaBull
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,599

Post#703 » by RastaBull » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:46 am

RSP83 wrote:I hope Minny retain Rose service next season and beyond. Looks like he's at peace there. 7-8 mil 3 years contract should be reasonable for him. I'll take it if I were Rose. He alread has that Adidas deal.

Another scenario, is the Spurs. This version of Rose reminds me of prime Tony Parker. Both didn't take too many 3s, but can hit them at respectable rate. And both are strong finisher in the lane. C'mon Pops, do it!

I was just thinking about that. I think he could go out and get 12+ million pretty easily. But I agree with you ... almost spot on. I think if he'd give Minny a big discount. He's a huge leader for that team. After the trade, he's the major energy kick for that team and all those young guys. Watching his highlights ... he's SO unselfish. He seems to really enjoy seeing his teammates succeed. Then there's that Calipari story of Rose being a major lockerroom support to guys like Towns when the national media is hounding them.

And you NEVER hear him complain or act any which way while playing at a legit 6MOY level, possible all-star (play is up there, but extra fan/market push would push him above some others), and a former MVP. All while playing for ~2 mil this year. Dude just wants to be happy playing this game. His Addidas deal will continue because his play is back and China loves him to death.

I'll always want him to be back with the Bulls. But I'll 100% sacrifice my desire to see him because this would be such a horrible situation for him to come into. Maybe he could really be a good support for the young guys here having to deal with media/fans ridiculing them / getting in their heads ... but the FO needs to go first ... just way to toxic.
Doctor Drain wrote:Can a butterfly sing?
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,233

Post#704 » by Dan Z » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:46 am

kulaz3000 wrote:
jc23 wrote:
dice wrote:jimmy's got probably the best LOOK right now of any player in league history

Just saw his new ninja turtle style headband. Surprised no player has done that before, I can see it becoming a trend.

It looks stupid.

Watch the NBA banning that style of headband. It looks ridiculous.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/76ers/theres-meaning-behind-jimmy-butler-and-ben-simmons-wearing-matching-headbands-sixers-win
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,918

Post#705 » by RSP83 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:07 am

RastaBull wrote:
RSP83 wrote:I hope Minny retain Rose service next season and beyond. Looks like he's at peace there. 7-8 mil 3 years contract should be reasonable for him. I'll take it if I were Rose. He alread has that Adidas deal.

I was just thinking about that. I think he could go out and get 12+ million pretty easily. But I agree with you ... almost spot on. I think if he'd give Minny a big discount. He's a huge leader for that team. After the trade, he's the major energy kick for that team and all those young guys. Watching his highlights ... he's SO unselfish. He seems to really enjoy seeing his teammates succeed. Then there's that Calipari story of Rose being a major lockerroom support to guys like Towns when the national media is hounding them.

And you NEVER hear him complain or act any which way while playing at a legit 6MOY level, possible all-star (play is up there, but extra fan/market push would push him above some others), and a former MVP. All while playing for ~2 mil this year. Dude just wants to be happy playing this game. His Addidas deal will continue because his play is back and China loves him to death.

I'll always want him to be back with the Bulls. But I'll 100% sacrifice my desire to see him because this would be such a horrible situation for him to come into. Maybe he could really be a good support for the young guys here having to deal with media/fans ridiculing them / getting in their heads ... but the FO needs to go first ... just way to toxic.

The coolest thing to me is that, Ryan Saunders stuck with Rose. Despite many narrative up to Thibs firing have been that, all credits goes to Thibs for giving him the opportunity and that Rose may not get that same opportunity with other coaches. So for Rose to be able to show this type of performance while playing for coach other than Thibs certainly erase that 'flukey' tag about his production this season. If Rose can finish the season strong, despite Wolves still probably will miss the playoff, I certainly think he's going to have better luck in Free Agency this offseason. He should either stay, or play for a team that really need him to just play his game. Among the playoff team, I like his fit the Spurs, and I think Blazers can use better backup to Lillard than Seth Curry. But basically, Rose have made himself relevant again, if he continues to hit 3s at respectable rate he's going to be around for some more years.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,803

Post#706 » by jc23 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:28 pm

Dan Z wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:
jc23 wrote:
Just saw his new ninja turtle style headband. Surprised no player has done that before, I can see it becoming a trend.

It looks stupid.

Watch the NBA banning that style of headband. It looks ridiculous.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/76ers/theres-meaning-behind-jimmy-butler-and-ben-simmons-wearing-matching-headbands-sixers-win

i think the look is ok, but i do feel its silly since its purely for looks and not functionality..
Be curious, Not judgmental
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#707 » by Leslie Forman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:31 pm

I joked the Bulls would pick Monte Morris with a second rounder. Joke was on me, they sold that pick. I should have seen that coming. Meanwhile Morris looks like a hell of a lot better point guard than anybody on this roster right now.

The guy played two years for Hoiberg. How do you miss that badly? How?
Costa78
Rookie
And1: 478

Post#708 » by Costa78 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:02 am

going back to those Rose highlights, why couldn't we bring him back as a mentor and let him eventually retire as a Bull. By all accounts, he is a good teammate and as humble as they get. He could back up, and play with Dunn at times. Maybe Im being nostalgic, but I love me some D-Rose.
Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,593

Post#709 » by Jimako10 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:03 am

Jahlil Okafor revival game! 20 pts 10 rebs!

After the game, Jahlil looked into the camera and said "Hi GarPax! I'm from Chicago!""
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,180

Post#710 » by _txchilibowl_ » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:01 am

Is there a more disinterested looking player in the NBA then Brandon Ingram?
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#711 » by DanTown8587 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:12 am

Leslie Forman wrote:I joked the Bulls would pick Monte Morris with a second rounder. Joke was on me, they sold that pick. I should have seen that coming. Meanwhile Morris looks like a hell of a lot better point guard than anybody on this roster right now.

The guy played two years for Hoiberg. How do you miss that badly? How?

Incredible that they were quite after Cam Payne because of some small connection in Gar's past but a guy from actual Iowa State who played for (and was recruited by) Hoiberg is not a guy they even thought about coming in.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,542

Post#712 » by dice » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:55 am

_txchilibowl_ wrote:Is there a more disinterested looking player in the NBA then Brandon Ingram?

it's a two-fer!

https://www.brewhoop.com/2015/1/9/7518267/jabari-parker-acl-injury-risk-andrew-wiggins-angst
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
riselife
Sophomore
And1: 104

Post#713 » by riselife » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:30 am

Watching Harden play I get curious to how his teammates feel he takes like 30 shots every game and I know he’s scoring at an amazing level but is this really winning basketball? I also know he might have to shoot that much with all the injuries they have and not many talented guys on the rockets but it doesn’t look fun playing on his team lol
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#714 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:37 am

Klay Thompson with 44 points without any FT attempts. Wonder if that's a record or if it isn't, what's the most anyone has scored without making or even attempting a free throw.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#715 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:58 am

Read on Twitter
dice
RealGM

Post#716 » by dice » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:16 pm

riselife wrote:Watching Harden play I get curious to how his teammates feel he takes like 30 shots every game and I know he’s scoring at an amazing level but is this really winning basketball? I also know he might have to shoot that much with all the injuries they have and not many talented guys on the rockets but it doesn’t look fun playing on his team lol

he's still scoring as efficiently as he was before, so yes, it's winning basketball
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#717 » by dice » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:16 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:Klay Thompson with 44 points without any FT attempts. Wonder if that's a record or if it isn't, what's the most anyone has scored without making or even attempting a free throw.

kareem and the dream each scored 48 i think w/o FT attempts. per sportscenter
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#718 » by HomoSapien » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:23 pm

dice wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
Payt10 wrote:Luka Doncic is incredible. Thinking of what could have possibly been if the Bulls got rid of Mirotic sooner..

Mirotic wasn't even the problem in the end. It was Sean Kilpatrick. It's important to keep repeating this, because this was a self-inflicted wound by the Bulls.

mirotic won the bulls games last year. kilpatrick didn't. the bulls were 3-6 w/ him on the team, and in only 1 of those 3 wins did he play reasonably well in a close game

kilpatrick was a replacement level player signed to fill a roster spot at the tail end of the season and who played limited minutes. you WANT replacement level players on the court when you're tanking. if anything, they should have started him. on the other hand, mirotic was a very good player who was signed to...ruin the tank by playing well so that we could get a late 1st rounder in a trade? THAT makes no sense

the bulls FO was engaging in the same "don't let a guy walk for nothing" nonsense mindset that most fans do. letting niko walk for nothing was exactly what they should have done if the idea was rebuilding. they would have then gotten criticism from the "you let him walk for nothing?!" crowd, but it would have been the right move

First of all he averaged 16 points per game in those three wins. He had one really bad shooting game (he shot 2-11), but got to the free-throw line 8 times. We won that game by 8 and he was tied as our leading scorer. This was in a must lose game against the Magic. Had we lost this game, we would have had a tied regular season record with them (we wouldn't hold the tie breaker, but it was still a pivotal draft position game). I think it's real hard for you to argue he didn't make an impact on that win.

The other "bad" shooting game he scored 21 points in a 6 point game. And he also had 14 in a 19 point win over the Wizards. Clearly all these games are much closer or go in the opposite direction without him.

That said even if you disagree, you inadvertently proved my point. One more loss and we would have no longer had a tie breaker with the Kings (which we lost), thus giving us the 2nd pick. Three more losses, and we would have tied records with the Mavs and Hawks, and would have had a coin toss with the Magic. When you're tanking, every single loss matters. We picked up three stupid wins and it cost us big.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
dice
RealGM

Post#719 » by dice » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:36 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
dice wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
Mirotic wasn't even the problem in the end. It was Sean Kilpatrick. It's important to keep repeating this, because this was a self-inflicted wound by the Bulls.

mirotic won the bulls games last year. kilpatrick didn't. the bulls were 3-6 w/ him on the team, and in only 1 of those 3 wins did he play reasonably well in a close game

kilpatrick was a replacement level player signed to fill a roster spot at the tail end of the season and who played limited minutes. you WANT replacement level players on the court when you're tanking. if anything, they should have started him. on the other hand, mirotic was a very good player who was signed to...ruin the tank by playing well so that we could get a late 1st rounder in a trade? THAT makes no sense

the bulls FO was engaging in the same "don't let a guy walk for nothing" nonsense mindset that most fans do. letting niko walk for nothing was exactly what they should have done if the idea was rebuilding. they would have then gotten criticism from the "you let him walk for nothing?!" crowd, but it would have been the right move

First of all he averaged 16 points per game in those three wins. He had one really bad shooting game (he shot 2-11), but got to the free-throw line 8 times. We won that game by 8 and he was tied as our leading scorer. This was in a must lose game against the Magic. Had we lost this game, we would have had a tied regular season record with them (we wouldn't hold the tie breaker, but it was still a pivotal draft position game). I think it's real hard for you to argue he didn't make an impact on that win.

there is a big difference between having an impact in a win and losing w/o a player's contribution. lots of people have impact in a 30 point victory, whereas none of the players are essential to the win. the reality is that in a maximum of ONE win would the bulls have lost due to removing the presence of crappy kilpatrick

That said even if you disagree, you inadvertently proved my point. One more loss and we would have no longer had a tie breaker with the Kings (which we lost), thus giving us the 2nd pick. Three more losses, and we would have tied records with the Mavs and Hawks, and would have had a coin toss with the Magic. When you're tanking, every single loss matters. We picked up three stupid wins and it cost us big.

and you missed both of my points. number one is that there is no evidence that with some OTHER replacement player in the lineup the bulls wouldn't have won the exact same number of games. number two is that HE WAS A REPLACEMENT PLAYER. what were the bulls supposed to do? once he has a good game, cut him and replace him w/ a different replacement player? and then when THAT replacement player has a good game, cut him and replace HIM with a different replacement player?

the bum was a REPLACEMENT PLAYER. he is no longer in the league. there was absolutely nothing reasonable the team could have done with his roster spot to lose more games beyond engaging in historic tank measures (have a center play at point guard, sign a bench player from the D-league). the sample size was so small of his minutes played that there was at no point reason to believe that his mediocre level of play would continue for the rest of his tenure with the team

the bulls could have done some things differently to lose more games. the sean kilpatrick signing is WAY down that list, and the only reason it could possibly be argued that it even belongs on that list is in retrospect
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#720 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:37 pm

dice wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:Klay Thompson with 44 points without any FT attempts. Wonder if that's a record or if it isn't, what's the most anyone has scored without making or even attempting a free throw.

kareem and the dream each scored 48 i think w/o FT attempts. per sportscenter

Wow, that's even more impressive considering most of their points came from banging in the paint.

Return to Chicago Bulls