Image ImageImage Image

Is Lauri Markannen a burrito full of skills or a one trick pony?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,546

Re: Is Lauri Markannen a burrito full of skills or a one trick pony? 

Post#641 » by PaKii94 » Fri Mar 8, 2019 1:20 am

Jiipee84 wrote:
TimHonks wrote:Shocked to see all the recent hate. Kid is a stud and I'm thrilled to have him, even if he has had *gasp* a couple of off games in a row after an extended stretch of incredible play.

There clearly is the reason why all this recent hate on Lauri has risen.
He absolutely has looked next coming of Nikola Mirotic last 3 games.
What ever Lauri's problem is i seriously hope he'll figure it out ASAP and before it's too late.

Why are you putting more weight in 3 games vs 1.5 months of 23/12 play? This is coming from someone who wrote a scathing post on Lauri for his last game
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,315

Post#642 » by Mbrahv0528 » Fri Mar 8, 2019 3:49 am

Jiipee84 wrote:Based on that how Lauri has played last 3 games he can't help Zach or anyone else right at the moment.
I'm not sure does Lauri even deserve to be starting PF to the Bulls right now.

Lauri has a lot serious improvement and development work ahead for this summer.
Next season is Lauri's 3rd in NBA so he must be much better what he's now if he wants become allstar player.

And as much it hurts to say this ( i'm a Finn like Lauri) if Lauri can't show any serious progress and development next season his time in Bulls should be over. No-one doesn't need 7 foot player who can't play in post or take advantage in mismatch situation etc etc.
Face. Effing. Palm. You can't be serious? This is ESPN cold pizza levels of Hot take. Good lord.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#643 » by kulaz3000 » Fri Mar 8, 2019 3:57 am

PaKii94 wrote:
Jiipee84 wrote:
TimHonks wrote:Shocked to see all the recent hate. Kid is a stud and I'm thrilled to have him, even if he has had *gasp* a couple of off games in a row after an extended stretch of incredible play.

What ever Lauri's problem is i seriously hope he'll figure it out ASAP and before it's too late.

Why are you putting more weight in 3 games vs 1.5 months of 23/12 play? This is coming from someone who wrote a scathing post on Lauri for his last game

Because if he doesn't figure it out ASAP, he may turn into a pumpkin.
Why so serious?
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#644 » by kulaz3000 » Fri Mar 8, 2019 4:01 am

Jiipee84 wrote:

Too late for what exactly?
Why so serious?
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#645 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Mar 8, 2019 4:10 am

Lauri is gonna be fine. He's averaging 19/9 at 21 years old. Post game and getting stronger should be his #1 focus in the offseason. Have to be able to exploit those mismatches.
Louri
Senior
And1: 351

Post#646 » by Louri » Fri Mar 8, 2019 10:10 am

Lauri had flu in OT game and he should have been resting since then. Bulls only play him 'cause Boylen has him in his ESPN fantasy basketball team and it's final week before playoffs there..
"Larry Nance Jr is better than Lauri Markkanen" -RealGM 2021
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#647 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Mar 8, 2019 10:23 am

If people are worried about Lauri, they are just looking for reasons to be worried.

In only his 2nd season as he finally got healthy he's playing at what you expected to see from a player of his caliber. He's averaging 19 and 9. Not sure how much more we should expect at this point.

Season 3/4/5 are when we see those jumps happen where players show their ideal ceiling (with most of it coming in years 3 and 4).

Point being, Lauri is fine. He's showing to be a promising young player that should be a major part of this teams success going forward. Health is going to be the key for him.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
davhern
Assistant Coach
And1: 245

Post#648 » by davhern » Fri Mar 8, 2019 3:02 pm

Jiipee84 wrote:Based on that how Lauri has played last 3 games he can't help Zach or anyone else right at the moment.

Next season is Lauri's 3rd in NBA so he must be much better what he's now if he wants become allstar player.

And as much it hurts to say this ( i'm a Finn like Lauri) if Lauri can't show any serious progress and development next season his time in Bulls should be over. No-one doesn't need 7 foot player who can't play in post or take advantage in mismatch situation etc etc.

What in the world?
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#649 » by FriedRise » Fri Mar 8, 2019 3:06 pm

Some of these posts yo...

RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#650 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Mar 8, 2019 9:15 pm

Zach and Lauri are showing to be quite the young pairing with good/promising upside.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,315

Post#651 » by Mbrahv0528 » Sat Mar 9, 2019 6:28 am

RedBulls23 wrote:If people are worried about Lauri, they are just looking for reasons to be worried.

In only his 2nd season as he finally got healthy he's playing at what you expected to see from a player of his caliber. He's averaging 19 and 9. Not sure how much more we should expect at this point.

Season 3/4/5 are when we see those jumps happen where players show their ideal ceiling (with most of it coming in years 3 and 4).

Point being, Lauri is fine. He's showing to be a promising young player that should be a major part of this teams success going forward. Health is going to be the key for him.
Nobody that knows a young star when they one is actually worried (worried about what exactly?) That guy is trolling.

logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#652 » by logical_art » Sat Mar 9, 2019 6:40 am

RedBulls23 wrote:Zach and Lauri are showing to be quite the young pairing with good/promising upside.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Ohhh the exclusive efg =>51% club!
GrowingHorns
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#653 » by GrowingHorns » Sat Mar 9, 2019 1:52 pm

Seriously dude, your take is bad. I highlighted the most eyebrow raising oddities. Do you actually understand basketball/have watched these games. Did you watch every single game this season like many here? Did ypu look at the numbers and the way Lauri did play on February? Do you watch NBA at all? Do you get that traditional posting up is dying art form, so having some troubles there won't sideline any power forward if he has skills?
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#654 » by sco » Sat Mar 9, 2019 2:41 pm

GrowingHorns wrote:

Seriously dude, your take is bad. I highlighted the most eyebrow raising oddities. Do you actually understand basketball/have watched these games. Did you watch every single game this season like many here? Did ypu look at the numbers and the way Lauri did play on February? Do you watch NBA at all? Do you get that traditional posting up is dying art form, so having some troubles there won't sideline any power forward if he has skills?

I am 90% convince Lauri is dealing with a stealth injury that his hampering him. I think it must be a leg thing because he isn't running at all. I think they'd rest him except it would mean more Felicio.
:clap:
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,599

Post#655 » by DuckIII » Sat Mar 9, 2019 3:15 pm

Mbrahv0528 wrote:

Face. Effing. Palm. You can't be serious? This is ESPN cold pizza levels of Hot take. Good lord.

He wrote the same thing after the prior game as well.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#656 » by ZOMG » Sat Mar 9, 2019 7:10 pm

I don't think Lauri's injured in any way, or exhausted for that matter. We've seen this before. When he has these 3pt slumps, it starts affecting his whole game eventually.

Literally since he came into the League, I've been saying that Markkanen is just a streaky guy. Don't know why people have trouble accepting it, since the proof is in front of their eyes.

This time he was able to keep his good streak going for surprisingly long (he even fooled me into thinking he might shoot 40% for the season from the perimeter). But it's only a matter of time when something gets out of whack in his shooting mechanics and he starts throwing up crap that doesn't even look like it's going in.

This is EXACTLY why you should never rely too much on Lauri's outside shooting in the long run. It's definitely a weapon for him and he's good enough to have gravity out there to keep defenses honest, but he's not elite.

I'm much more excited about Point Lauri than Lauri the outside shooter.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,599

Post#657 » by DuckIII » Sat Mar 9, 2019 8:33 pm

ZOMG, I think multiple things can be true. I think Lauri is streaky, yes, but I also see a visibly exhausted player struggling to keep his energy up.

That or he’s prone to dogging it, which I simply don’t believe.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#658 » by ZOMG » Sat Mar 9, 2019 8:51 pm

DuckIII wrote:ZOMG, I think multiple things can be true. I think Lauri is streaky, yes, but I also see a visibly exhausted player struggling to keep his energy up.

That or he’s prone to dogging it, which I simply don’t believe.

I know he seems to be struggling. But Lauri's weird like that. As far back as I can remember, he's had games where he first looks like he's really laboring to get up and down the court... and two minutes later easily beats a PG off the dribble for a dunk and seems 100% fresh.

People seem to have decided that there's something wrong with his conditioning. But let's get real... there's no evidence at all of that. Sure, he missed some time at first. But since then he's played a LOT of minutes and games.

All I've heard of Lauri's training habits tells me that he's one of those guys who's fanatical about his fitness. Just a complete gym and weight room rat, sometimes even to his own detriment. He had some problems with overtraining when he was younger.
Louri
Senior
And1: 351

Post#659 » by Louri » Sat Mar 9, 2019 8:51 pm

ZOMG wrote:I don't think Lauri's injured in any way, or exhausted for that matter. We've seen this before. When he has these 3pt slumps, it starts affecting his whole game eventually.

Literally since he came into the League, I've been saying that Markkanen is just a streaky guy. Don't know why people have trouble accepting it, since the proof is in front of their eyes.

This time he was able to keep his good streak going for surprisingly long (he even fooled me into thinking he might shoot 40% for the season from the perimeter). But it's only a matter of time when something gets out of whack in his shooting mechanics and he starts throwing up crap that doesn't even look like it's going in.

This is EXACTLY why you should never rely too much on Lauri's outside shooting in the long run. It's definitely a weapon for him and he's good enough to have gravity out there to keep defenses honest, but he's not elite.

I'm much more excited about Point Lauri than Lauri the outside shooter.

*Signs in to US basketball forum. Sees pessimist finns flooding in forum. Signs off*
"Larry Nance Jr is better than Lauri Markkanen" -RealGM 2021
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,263

Post#660 » by kodo » Sat Mar 9, 2019 9:26 pm

ZOMG wrote:People seem to have decided that there's something wrong with his conditioning. But let's get real... there's no evidence at all of that. Sure, he missed some time at first. But since then he's played a LOT of minutes and games.

There might be nothing wrong with his conditioning, the issue is how much he's playing for a 7 footer.

Since the ASB, distance traveled per game:

1. Paul George
2. Ingram
3. Lavine
4. Beal
5. Hield
6. McCollum
7. Josh Richardson
8. Nic Batum
9. Harrison Barnes
10. Lauri Markkanen

One of these is not like the others. He runs more miles per game than Ben Simmons, Jimmy Butler, Steph Curry, Damian Lillard, or Kemba Walker.

When we look at even athletically elite MVPs like Durant & Giannis are far behind.

That is absurd for a 7 footer.

Return to Chicago Bulls