Image ImageImage Image

Source: Bulls give Jim Boylen salary bump, deal through at least next season

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Bulls Fan 23
Pro Prospect
And1: 250

Re: Source: Bulls give Jim Boylen salary bump, deal through at least next season 

Post#121 » by Bulls Fan 23 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:20 am

AKfanatic wrote:
holv03 wrote:Bulls should sign Mark Jackson to coach this team. He could develop the young guys the right way. He would bring a positive culture to the team and players will end up liking him.

Mark Jackson should be kept far far away from this team.

He’s a hypocrite, fake religious, crap human being that has such low confidence in himself that he turns his own players against other players on his team as a means attempting to create individuals loyal to himself above all else.

The few fans that consistently bring up Jackson as a coaching option should really read about him

I wish I could and 1 this post 1000 times

Thank you
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Re: Source: Bulls give Jim Boylen salary bump, deal through at least next season 

Post#122 » by RedBulls23 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:59 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:Also, the fact that the Bulls extended Foreman so quietly and then did this quietly is just... it's like they're aware of how hated they are by their own fanbase, but instead of trying to deal with the issue they just operate with secrecy

We're just a bunch of idiot fans, what do we know? Why should they care what we think?

There is a big segment of the fan base that still drinks the koolaid. I've seen people mention how they are hyped about this team's future. And you still have people deflect everything from this FO.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,222

Post#123 » by Red8911 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:38 am

I know everyone hates Boylen right now but I think he will be fine once Paxson/Front office decide to end this tanking bs. Once they do that and start making moves to win then things should look better including Boylen.

I’m also not crazy about resigning him this early either. Would of been better to wait it out see how he finishes the season and maybe even another good coach becomes available by then. But now since they made that decision let’s hope it all works out and Boylen succeeds. I don’t think he’s that bad like many of you have been saying. Again if you get him more experienced players, more shooters, and in general better talent then we will see a big difference.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,918

Post#124 » by RSP83 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:39 am

Man... I'm extremely jealous of teams like Kings, Nuggets, Bucks... it took sometime to right the ship with these franchises. Kings' owner Renadive and his antics was the notable ones. But eversince he's pushed into the background, things are looking great for the Kings. And the Bucks made the right move with the Budenholzer hire. Mike Malone and Joerger proved to be great hire as well.

Our franchise is probably the most frustrating franchise in the NBA. In a way that, Bulls tendency it's like they seem to ignore or close their eyes on what's going on in the league and instead operate based on their own measure, which often trigger 'WTF!?' reaction from their fanbase.

We almost never seem to chase big name proven coaches on the market (Floyd, Cartwright, Skiles, Vinny, Hoiberg, Boylen). Thibs was probably the highest profile hire considering he was highly regarded around the league at that point. Skiles had prior experience with Suns, but largely was still unproven.

I don't know if Boylen is the right hire or not, but I just don't feel like following the team anymore. Bulls is slowly turning into that company that you'll try to avoid working for if you can.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,947
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#125 » by MalagaBulls » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:41 am

My reaction:Image
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#126 » by bullsnewdynasty » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:58 am

DuckIII wrote:
bullsnewdynasty wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
As the head coach, he got a pay bump above his assistant coach level pay running through the end of his pre-existing assistant coaching contract.

I don't want to retain Boylen after this year, but this isn't a big deal. In fact, the exact same thing happened with Larry Drew earlier this year in Cleveland, and it became a PR problem for the Cavs. They ended up bumping his deal up to head-coach level income as well. I don't think its uncommon.

Kind of a non-issue. And I bet Boylen's still on a tremendous bargain deal for a head coach. We'll find out I guess. It also wouldn't surprise me if the buy out upon termination is still the assistant level salary rate. But I doubt we ever learn that level of detail.

This report says the Bulls gave Boylen a contract for next season. Not a non-issue at all. Bulls aren’t paying 3 head coaches, so Boylen is our coach until 2020 at minimum. Good luck attracting any free agents.

No, that's not what happened. He already had a contract for next season. The report is either misleading or you are not reading it correctly. I don't know which, I didn't read the whole report. I made a guess as to what I figured probably happened, and then as Woj reported I was exactly right.

Typically when it appears up front that the Bulls are doing something completely insane, it turns out to not be true. This is yet another one of those times. But don't worry, if they do end up committing to him, I'll be on your side.

You are right, the report was not clear to me initially.

Bulls likely committed to Boylen as their HC for next year because they are paying Hoiberg a $5 million guaranteed to sit at home. Unfortunately that’s the reason we’re going to have a third rate coach. Our budget is already blown, let’s settle for Boylen because he’ll be the cheapest HC in the league.
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Post#127 » by R3AL1TY » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:42 am

Not a surprise to me except for the pay raise... I figured they would go this route in giving him a chance in improving this team with more talent after the next draft and free agency. It wouldn't be a good look in them firing a coach back to back after the same season while trying to get a top replacement IMO. And knowing the owners' conservative ways, they don't want to spend that much money in coaching yet after wasting guaranteed money on Fred.

But if the FO doesn't get the players and bench that can play at either a clock managing or faster pace, it's a waste of time in them catering and dedicating to any coach.
BigJimFinn
Junior
And1: 347

Post#128 » by BigJimFinn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:54 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:In the Sun Times article he talks a lot about his time coaching the Utah Utes. I actually didn't realize that he had head coaching experience there.

Just did some research and this is what popped up:

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes/2018/12/14/monson-jim-boylen-is/

At Utah, he had a losing record both seasons (13-18 and 14 and 17).

They had a mass mutiny... a real mutiny, at Utah. A full one third of all the players left the school when Boylen was the head coach. THAT is unheard of, to have that many players transfer out of a program like that. If that wasn't a major red flag, what is?

They couldn't do that to Majerus, he just blocked the door.

Seriously though very interesting. I don't get this

This shows that even in college basketball (not football), you must be a great coach to get away with the hardass drill instructor BS. Majerus was a real basketball genius and obsessive lifer, but there is a reason why Big Rick never got a major college job, never mind NBA. I don't think it was because he could not fit into an airline seat.

Boylen is working hard to prove he does not deserve a head coaching job ever again, so I have no problem with him getting a bump to his bank account because he will need it later.
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,715

Post#129 » by Ctownbulls » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:52 am

bullsnewdynasty wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
bullsnewdynasty wrote:
This report says the Bulls gave Boylen a contract for next season. Not a non-issue at all. Bulls aren’t paying 3 head coaches, so Boylen is our coach until 2020 at minimum. Good luck attracting any free agents.

No, that's not what happened. He already had a contract for next season. The report is either misleading or you are not reading it correctly. I don't know which, I didn't read the whole report. I made a guess as to what I figured probably happened, and then as Woj reported I was exactly right.

Typically when it appears up front that the Bulls are doing something completely insane, it turns out to not be true. This is yet another one of those times. But don't worry, if they do end up committing to him, I'll be on your side.

You are right, the report was not clear to me initially.

Bulls likely committed to Boylen as their HC for next year because they are paying Hoiberg a $5 million guaranteed to sit at home. Unfortunately that’s the reason we’re going to have a third rate coach. Our budget is already blown, let’s settle for Boylen because he’ll be the cheapest HC in the league.
Yup, this was a done deal the day they fired Fred.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,715

Post#130 » by Ctownbulls » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:54 am

musiqsoulchild wrote:For what its worth, this means we are doubling down as usual.

When Karen was moved to Associate Coach, that was the sum result of 33 years of tenure in the Bulls organization.

That's who replaced Boylen. And Boylen has been "promoted" to Head Coach for just 2 seasons.

This organization doubles down on its inner circle and internal talent a lot. I'd be surprised if Boylen is stymied in any way from cracking the whip.

The young ones are in for a world of pain.
When you win 10 games its tough to listen to a guy like that. They will tune him out quickly.

If they start out slow next year after a rough and tough training camp I would expect the wheels to come off awfully quick again.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,698

Post#131 » by SfBull » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:29 am

I think this is a message for the fans: just give up on rooting for a better coach.These guys from FO are really dumb
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,487

Post#132 » by Bankai » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:49 pm

Boylen had a Mutiny at Utah and he already had a "mutiny" so far with the Bulls. Did these really warrant an extension?

Well their is this Dino team that is willing to accept Fans into their bandwagon :)
Bulldog23
Bench Warmer
And1: 141

Post#133 » by Bulldog23 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:35 pm

Whoever came up with the shirts that said fire garpax....do you think they can list the Bulls sponsors and advertisers on the back so Bulls fans can boycott them...is that too much?
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#134 » by SfBull » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:01 pm

keloms wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ok.So we have to root for long losing streaks hoping that he'll be fired in the postseason .
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#135 » by SfBull » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:14 pm

meekrab wrote:
bullsnewdynasty wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
As the head coach, he got a pay bump above his assistant coach level pay running through the end of his pre-existing assistant coaching contract.

I don't want to retain Boylen after this year, but this isn't a big deal. In fact, the exact same thing happened with Larry Drew earlier this year in Cleveland, and it became a PR problem for the Cavs. They ended up bumping his deal up to head-coach level income as well. I don't think its uncommon.

Kind of a non-issue. And I bet Boylen's still on a tremendous bargain deal for a head coach. We'll find out I guess. It also wouldn't surprise me if the buy out upon termination is still the assistant level salary rate. But I doubt we ever learn that level of detail.

He already had a contract for next season, they just guaranteed him a little more money.

The problem isn't the salary bump but the fact that besides the fact that he has a contract until 19-20 GarPax are showing that they believe in his work and it's just isn't working.
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#136 » by SfBull » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:19 pm

DuckIII wrote:
dumbell78 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Read the rest of the thread.

I did and I'm not falling for any of it. This is about Jerry insuring he pays the minimum for a coach next year and will not be looking for another coach. This isn't about "flexibility" like Woj suggests in his tweet. You may disagree and that's fine.

I'm definitely not suggesting I think the Bulls are going to fire Boylan after this year. I definitely think they might keep him on the cheap next year. I'm just saying this deal doesn't make it any more or less likely.

The possibility of they keep Boylen next year is exactly the reason why many posters are angry about it just because his work isn't good until now.
Scalaboner
Sophomore
And1: 101

Post#137 » by Scalaboner » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:25 pm

Woo 2-8 in the last 10 games and we now have Boylen locked up to coach this team! Good times are upon us.....I think between the Parkey missed field goal, this, and if the Sox end up missing out on Machado or Harper there will be a lot of heavy drinking and/or suicide in the city for sports fans. I can’t take much more!
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,637

Post#138 » by DuckIII » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:35 pm

SfBull wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
dumbell78 wrote:
I did and I'm not falling for any of it. This is about Jerry insuring he pays the minimum for a coach next year and will not be looking for another coach. This isn't about "flexibility" like Woj suggests in his tweet. You may disagree and that's fine.

I'm definitely not suggesting I think the Bulls are going to fire Boylan after this year. I definitely think they might keep him on the cheap next year. I'm just saying this deal doesn't make it any more or less likely.

The possibility of they keep Boylen next year is exactly the reason why many posters are angry about it just because his work isn't good until now.

But this report doesn't make that more likely to happen. I didn't phrase that post correctly, because in fact it suggests the Bulls very much are interested in keeping their options open this summer. If there was any real commitment beyond this season, they'd have included his raise in next year's guaranty, but they didn't. All he's currently guaranteed for next year is what he was already guaranteed (plus or minus about $100K, since the reports aren't precise).

The fact that the Bulls were careful to not increase what they owe Boylen in the event they fire him this summer is the key take away from this report. Basically what I'm saying is that if this report means anything, it means the opposite of how most people are reading it. If you don't want Boylen back next year - like me - this report is more good than bad.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
holv03
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,803

Post#139 » by holv03 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:47 pm

Bulls Fan 23 wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:
holv03 wrote:Bulls should sign Mark Jackson to coach this team. He could develop the young guys the right way. He would bring a positive culture to the team and players will end up liking him.

He’s a hypocrite, fake religious, crap human being that has such low confidence in himself that he turns his own players against other players on his team as a means attempting to create individuals loyal to himself above all else.

The few fans that consistently bring up Jackson as a coaching option should really read about him

Thank you

That was mostly media BS. Curry, Thompson and Green have nothing but great things to say about Jackson. Hes the reason why Golden State is what it is.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,637

Post#140 » by DuckIII » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:55 pm

holv03 wrote:
Bulls Fan 23 wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:

Thank you

That was mostly media BS. Curry, Thompson and Green have nothing but great things to say about Jackson. Hes the reason why Golden State is what it is.

Well, no one in the NBA believes that obviously. There have been 5 offseasons since Jackson got canned, and he's openly available and marketing himself for head coaching jobs. If anyone believed he had any meaningfully positive role in creating the Warriors he'd be on a sideline.

Also, after they fired him they went from 51 wins and an early playoff exit to 67 wins and a title the very next year with the same roster. Even from the outside looking in, if anything one could conclude Jackson was holding that team back.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Return to Chicago Bulls