Image ImageImage Image

Source: Bulls give Jim Boylen salary bump, deal through at least next season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,698

Re: Bulls reach new deal with Boylen 

Post#141 » by SfBull » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:03 pm

Payt10 wrote:
keloms wrote:
Read on Twitter

If you're enjoying skipping the games this year, this is great news as this means you've now got another 87 free nights next year too!

I've already decided, unless they get Zion Williamson, I'm not going to watch next year if he's still the coach. Player development will continue to take a hit with every game that idiot is there for.

What's the difference in getting Zion(or Barrett ,who I prefer if the Bulls have a chance to draft one of them by reaching the first draft pick) if coached by Boylen?For me the main problem is on coaching even with the roster needing a big improvement.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Re: Source: Bulls give Jim Boylen salary bump, deal through at least next season 

Post#142 » by AKfanatic » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:23 pm

holv03 wrote:
Bulls Fan 23 wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:
Mark Jackson should be kept far far away from this team.

He’s a hypocrite, fake religious, crap human being that has such low confidence in himself that he turns his own players against other players on his team as a means attempting to create individuals loyal to himself above all else.

The few fans that consistently bring up Jackson as a coaching option should really read about him

I wish I could and 1 this post 1000 times

Thank you

That was mostly media BS. Curry, Thompson and Green have nothing but great things to say about Jackson. Hes the reason why Golden State is what it is.

Which part exactly is “media bs”?

What exactly does “nobody believe”?

Jackson’s failures as a person are out there to read, they go back as far as his playing days in Utah, New York, and Indiana and they continue on through his coaching career and personal life.

Players being classy and saying nice things mean squat.

If Jackson was some great guy and great coach, NBA teams would’ve been lining up to offer him a position....especially seeing how everyone wants to be Golden State. If “hes the reason why Golden State is what it is”, why exactly do teams keep passing on him as their next head coach?
Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,593

Re: Source: Bulls give Jim Boylen salary bump, deal through at least next season 

Post#143 » by Jimako10 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:40 pm

They probably figured the team is going to suck hard for at least another year, so why pay for a real head coach?
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,398

Post#144 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:48 pm

AKfanatic wrote:
holv03 wrote:
Bulls Fan 23 wrote:
I wish I could and 1 this post 1000 times

Thank you

That was mostly media BS. Curry, Thompson and Green have nothing but great things to say about Jackson. Hes the reason why Golden State is what it is.

Which part exactly is “media bs”?

What exactly does “nobody believe”?

Jackson’s failures as a person are out there to read, they go back as far as his playing days in Utah, New York, and Indiana and they continue on through his coaching career and personal life.

Players being classy and saying nice things mean squat.

If Jackson was some great guy and great coach, NBA teams would’ve been lining up to offer him a position....especially seeing how everyone wants to be Golden State. If “hes the reason why Golden State is what it is”, why exactly do teams keep passing on him as their next head coach?

Stop stating facts we don’t like facts here. We only want to hear biased gut emotions. Get with the program. Facts have no place here.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,398

Post#145 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:59 pm

Jimako10 wrote:They probably figured the team is going to suck hard for at least another year, so why pay for a real head coach?

Initially I thought that but he is still going into next season on the same contract he has, he only got bonuses for this year, and he was already signed for next year. So he woukd still be a low paid lame duck coach going into next season. They didn’t extend him they just bonused him for this season. Now I wouldn’t put it past them to extend him in the off season, but as it stands nothing has changed. This was more news than it should be.

Now if they do extend him burn the place down. Seriously. I’ve had enough. I was livid with Fred and this just adds to it. I am just a fan and I have none of the advanced metrics available to me etc... but it was pretty clear to me that Fred was not a good choice and that Hoiberg made a major mistake leaving Ames. He was set for life in Ames and was a good fit there. Effe that choice.

I wonder if the organization just thinks their slick in hiring coaches because Krause found a hidden gem in Phil?

Now Skiles and Thibs were not bad hires but they were always at best Doug Collins types and this front office never had their next step guy. They ride the hard nosed get the team into shape guy and then do not have the next level guy ready. Oh that was Fred? Please. Maybe Marc Trestman wants a shot at the Bulls. Same damn move. Is Boylen the next Fox and then the next guy is Nagy? Unlikely as all get out.

Now I feel I am realistic in viewing the front office. I try not to be biased and think there are some weak arguments against them, but their handling coaches is god awful and that is maybe the top priority of their job if not the top a top 3. They fail there.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,221

Post#146 » by Red8911 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:22 pm

Jimako10 wrote:They probably figured the team is going to suck hard for at least another year, so why pay for a real head coach?

Also the fact that they are still paying hoiberg for another year. There was no way they were paying 3 coaches at once. (Hoiberg,Boylen, and new guy) Boylen is cheap too, Jerry likes that.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,918

Post#147 » by RSP83 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:28 pm

I'm more worried about toxic environment rotting our guys, Zach, Lauri, Dunn, Wendell
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,009

Post#148 » by Am2626 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Ctownbulls wrote:Paying assistant coach salary for a head coaching job. This was a lock from day 1 and everyone knew it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yeah it’s just another way to be cheap and not spend the needed money to get a qualified coach. Maybe if Hoiberg gets hired again his salary will no longer be the Bulls obligation and they may actually look for a real coach.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,009

Post#149 » by Am2626 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:46 pm

RSP83 wrote:I'm more worried about toxic environment rotting our guys, Zach, Lauri, Dunn, Wendell

Unfortunately with this FO and Coaching Staff they aren’t going to develop properly anyways. Would rather see the sinking ship sink which might get GarPax to waive the white flag and quit. That is the only hope.
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,253

Post#150 » by TheJordanRule » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:29 pm

Tbh I don't mind this decision. We have no second unit. It's the young kids plus complete trash. We have no clue what Boylen brings because we don't have the talent to implement any system. We tried the run-and-shoot system with Fred and it was an epic fail. Now we're doing the opposite and it's not working. You win games with 70 percent talent and 30 percent coaching. No coach is gonna make a college level team an NBA one, and that's what we are right now except for the occasional hot streak. A minor one year extension is alright by me. It also might give Boylen just enough support that the kids listen to him.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#151 » by Red Larrivee » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:27 pm

HomoSapien wrote:Duck's making a good contribution here. When this story first broke, it was being implied that the Bulls gave Boylen an extra year to his contract that didn't exist. Since then, we've learned that all they did was give him a salary raise to his existing contract. That in itself isn't a big deal, and to be upset about that is petty. It's a goodwill gesture on the Bulls behalf.

That said, I don't trust this franchise at all, and don't understand why this would leak right after a 40 point loss. I expect Boylen to be back next year. Like Duck said, the mistake here was not giving Boylen an interim tag.

This is where I'm at. I'm really confused as to why there's no interim tag like Boylen is some coveted assistant coach. Everything Paxson said about Boylen changing the dynamic and energy of this team hasn't happened. The offseason will be interesting. I think the team will face tremendous scrutiny if they move forward with Boylen as HC for another year.
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,253

Post#152 » by TheJordanRule » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:03 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:Duck's making a good contribution here. When this story first broke, it was being implied that the Bulls gave Boylen an extra year to his contract that didn't exist. Since then, we've learned that all they did was give him a salary raise to his existing contract. That in itself isn't a big deal, and to be upset about that is petty. It's a goodwill gesture on the Bulls behalf.

That said, I don't trust this franchise at all, and don't understand why this would leak right after a 40 point loss. I expect Boylen to be back next year. Like Duck said, the mistake here was not giving Boylen an interim tag.

This is where I'm at. I'm really confused as to why there's no interim tag like Boylen is some coveted assistant coach. Everything Paxson said about Boylen changing the dynamic and energy of this team hasn't happened. The offseason will be interesting. I think the team will face tremendous scrutiny if they move forward with Boylen as HC for another year.

Criticism doesn't amount to a hill of beans with this ball club. The ownership has revealed itself to be immune to it, and rightly so, since complaining fans still buy tickets and watch games. But that's a great catch by Duck. If the move isn't a one year extension I like it a lot more. It means we have options moving forward. That said, I don't understand his or your argument about the importance of sticking Boylen with an interm tag. What would be the value of that? If you want young kids to buy into a coaching philosophy, don't make it look like the coach will be canned or demoted at any minute. I like the flexibility we've given ourselves for the offseason. If there's a good coach on the market who will bring a winning culture, we can still invest in that.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#153 » by kulaz3000 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:53 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:

I'm going to go as far as to say that if Boylen is likely the head coach next season, expect certain players to demand a trade.
Why so serious?
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#154 » by kingkirk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:44 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:

As they supposedly do with everything, they're being flexible with Boylen as they've done with cap space. This is almost like the Rondo deal, or any deal that has a team option on it. Maybe even Jabari. They're setting up a premise in which if they do bring him back, they can do so cheaply, but if it ends then they're not out of coin too much.

Basically, as always, they're not making an affirmative decision either way.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#155 » by RedBulls23 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:50 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:

When has tremendous scrutiny ever really stopped them from making bad decisions though.

With them not giving him the interim tag and also increasing salary and guaranteeing his 2nd year I think they definitely plan on bringing him back.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Payt10
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 9,200

Re: Bulls reach new deal with Boylen 

Post#156 » by Payt10 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:57 am

SfBull wrote:
Payt10 wrote:
keloms wrote:
Read on Twitter

If you're enjoying skipping the games this year, this is great news as this means you've now got another 87 free nights next year too!

I've already decided, unless they get Zion Williamson, I'm not going to watch next year if he's still the coach. Player development will continue to take a hit with every game that idiot is there for.

What's the difference in getting Zion(or Barrett ,who I prefer if the Bulls have a chance to draft one of them by reaching the first draft pick) if coached by Boylen?For me the main problem is on coaching even with the roster needing a big improvement.

Just the hope that he'd be a transcendent talent that can still be great even with bad coaching. It would take a HOF talent for me to enjoy watching this team again as long as Boylen is still the HC.
"All I want to do is grab somebody and bang nowadays" -Brad Miller
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,263

Post#157 » by kodo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:15 am

ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#158 » by ATRAIN53 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:56 pm

I don't get the big deal about this-

They never post salary stuff but if they were paying Boylen anything upward of like maybe 300k PRIOR to Freds firing, I'd have been shocked.

When the promoted him, they had to pay him more than the league minimum of 1.2 mil.
I mean how can he yell and demand effort from guys like Lavine if they know he's getting paid less than the janitor?
They had to get his salary in line with what other coaches are getting paid. There are coaches making 10mil+ per year!

and they have to at least pretend he's gonna stick around another year for a number of reasons, the least of which is having some leverage over players.

he's a lame duck and a dead coach walking - but they had to at least make this look like a legit hire, otherwise Silver would have gotten involved. Jerry doesn't want that.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,959

Post#159 » by Wingy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:24 pm

Checkmate. Top tier free agents, bow to almighty Chicago!!!
ShadyMoney
Junior
And1: 158

Post#160 » by ShadyMoney » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:50 pm

Ain’t no way I’m a nba head coach in market number 3 only getting paid 800k.

Stay out that mans pockets.

Return to Chicago Bulls