Image ImageImage Image

Source: Bulls give Jim Boylen salary bump, deal through at least next season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

ShadyMoney
Junior
And1: 158

Re: Source: Bulls give Jim Boylen salary bump, deal through at least next season 

Post#161 » by ShadyMoney » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:55 pm

I would to love to see yaw handle the responsibilities that come with being a NBA Head coach for a entire season plus another season while only getting paid 300k and 800k while your constituents are getting paid ATLEAST 3 million per.

THAT IS INSANE.

Best move the bulls made in a while as far as relations concerns.

Think about it, we would be cheap as hell with no evidence of gratitude.

Our perception would be that not only will we not pay the supermax for a all Nba player(JB) we also are now low balling coaches.

Bulls HAD to do it.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,450

Re: Source: Bulls give Jim Boylen salary bump, deal through at least next season 

Post#162 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:06 pm

Still confused af as to why he's basically guaranteed to coach through next season. Like why even corner us in that way? What if someone really good becomes available? More importantly, he sucks. Seriously. Both him and Fred have really sucked.

There is a good amount of talent on this team. Not even being bias, this team, objectively speaking has a good amount of talent. It's the coaches job to take that and make it work and this n00b is terrible.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,009

Post#163 » by Am2626 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:10 pm

Jcool0 wrote:So last time i laughed at the idea of a billboard and would NEVER give money to something like that.... If anyone does it again... I'll contribute...

The next billboard should also demand that Reinsdorf sell the team and reference that all he cares about is making money at the expense of the fans.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#164 » by kulaz3000 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:37 pm

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:Still confused af as to why he's basically guaranteed to coach through next season. Like why even corner us in that way? What if someone really good becomes available? More importantly, he sucks. Seriously. Both him and Fred have really sucked.

There is a good amount of talent on this team. Not even being bias, this team, objectively speaking has a good amount of talent. It's the coaches job to take that and make it work and this n00b is terrible.

His contract was always until the end of next season, when he was signed as an assistant. The Bulls are simply giving him a pay bump through the course of his existing contract, due to him now being a head coach.

They can fire him this season, off season or next season if they choose to. I don't think ANY coach is ever guaranteed to coach a specific season.
Why so serious?
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM

Post#165 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:44 am

kulaz3000 wrote:
ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:Still confused af as to why he's basically guaranteed to coach through next season. Like why even corner us in that way? What if someone really good becomes available? More importantly, he sucks. Seriously. Both him and Fred have really sucked.

His contract was always until the end of next season, when he was signed as an assistant. The Bulls are simply giving him a pay bump through the course of his existing contract, due to him now being a head coach.

They can fire him this season, off season or next season if they choose to. I don't think ANY coach is ever guaranteed to coach a specific season.

Didn’t they bump his salary for next season? Why do that now, guaranteeing him that money, without having a commitment to him coaching next year too. I’d no have no gripes with paying him more this season. And if he makes it to next season, bump him up on the final year of his deal. The way his salary was adjusted seems as if they’re going to keep him till he expires.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#166 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:52 am

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:

Didn’t they bump his salary for next season? Why do that now, guaranteeing him that money, without having a commitment to him coaching next year too. I’d no have no gripes with paying him more this season. And if he makes it to next season, bump him up on the final year of his deal. The way his salary was adjusted seems as if they’re going to keep him till he expires.

While I understand your argument, what difference does it make? His salary doesn't go against the cap, the bump by all accounts doesn't seem all that significant compared to other head coach around the league - I'm quite certain he is the lowest paid head coach by a significant margin. Point being, I don't think it's really anything noteworthy, and won't make a difference if a quality head coach becomes available and the Bulls intend to pursue.
Why so serious?
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,009

Post#167 » by Am2626 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:31 am

kulaz3000 wrote:
ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:

While I understand your argument, what difference does it make? His salary doesn't go against the cap, the bump by all accounts doesn't seem all that significant compared to other head coach around the league - I'm quite certain he is the lowest paid head coach by a significant margin. Point being, I don't think it's really anything noteworthy, and won't make a difference if a quality head coach becomes available and the Bulls intend to pursue.

Hoiberg should wait to take another NBA coaching job until his contract with the Bulls is up so that they have to pay his full contract. Wonder if the Bulls would be cheap enough to pass up on a good coach if one becomes available.
aramada
Analyst
And1: 950

Post#168 » by aramada » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:33 am

I mean as a HC his salary doesn’t bother me as much because it’s still a fraction of what others make.

But man oh man is he a train wreck. He should never have been in that position in the first place.
Game planing on offense is bad. ISO fest from the first possession!
In-game management has to be his worst. His lineups are absolute garbage. Lots of randomness, no balance between offense and defense, no regard for players affinity, using players for long stretches then benching them for just as long, no management of players’ confidence...
Communication and media is up there in the terrible category, although he polished up a bit after his unbelievably bad start. I recognize that it’s not easy to be thrown in as a rookie head coach mid season, but that was something...
Players seem to have regressed since he was promoted, from LaVine to Lauri to WCJ to Arci. Notable exception is Hutch, but that’s more linked to the Holiday trade.
Only slight positive is defense and effort, although teams have started to figure him out and his schemes are less effective.

All in all, he should be replaced ASAP. I have no better way of summarizing this

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#169 » by Susan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:06 am

Did you guys know that Jim Boylen used to coach for the Spurs?
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM

Post#170 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:20 am

kulaz3000 wrote:
ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:

It’s not about the dollars, it’s about it being an indication that they are planning for him to be the coach next season — which I think also translates to them not searching for a coach in the off-season. Just seems super short-sighted. Not the end of the world if he gets brought next year, which will probably be another non-playoff team, but it’s crystal clear that he’s not an nba caliber coach and not for a franchise that had some prestige to it.

He’s seriously terrible and the players don’t like him either. He plays a horrific style of offense and doesn’t develop the players well enough to justify keeping him.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#171 » by ZOMG » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:49 am

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:
ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:

It’s not about the dollars, it’s about it being an indication that they are planning for him to be the coach next season — which I think also translates to them not searching for a coach in the off-season. Just seems super short-sighted. Not the end of the world if he gets brought next year, which will probably be another non-playoff team, but it’s crystal clear that he’s not an nba caliber coach and not for a franchise that had some prestige to it.

He’s seriously terrible and the players don’t like him either. He plays a horrific style of offense and doesn’t develop the players well enough to justify keeping him.

This salary bump thing is the Bulls' typically stupid version of signaling that "hey, we're planning... there's continuity... we have a strategy..."

LOL.

Nothing they do makes any sense for the future - from trades and free agents to long-term goals and game planning. Smoke and mirrors.
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#172 » by Axolotl » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:47 pm

aramada wrote:I mean as a HC his salary doesn’t bother me as much because it’s still a fraction of what others make.

But man oh man is he a train wreck. He should never have been in that position in the first place.

All in all, he should be replaced ASAP.

I thought Boylen would be better than Hoiberg, and I was wrong. Time under Boylen has been torturously bad, and it has been especially bad since Paxson told him to focus more on offence. As a result, the defence fell apart, and the offence did not get any better.

Boylen should be replaced as soon as possible, but since the season is now only about getting as high a draft pick as possible, it's not going to happen until the season is over. I mean, with the product he puts out, surely Boylen can't be even considered to continue in charge of this team.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Post#173 » by DASMACKDOWN » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:01 pm

We generally still have no identity. We dont run. We dont play tough defense. We dont play intelligent offense. Its a mess.

What I dont want next year is having Zion, RJ or any other top rookie added to this mix while doing exactly the same thing. The results would remain the same.
The Cult of Personality
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#174 » by CoreyVillains » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:11 pm

Since Boylen took over we're dead last in ORTG and we're down to 27th in DRTG. It's safe to say he should never get a head coaching gig again.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,578

Post#175 » by DuckIII » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:08 pm

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:

Just a quick public service reminder on this, Boylen's "bump" for next year is non-guaranteed. That way, if they fire him this summer, they don't owe him any additional payouts above his assistant coach salary which he would be owned regardless.

For emphasis: The only reason for the Bulls to have structured it this way is because they are very open to firing him and undertaking a coaching search this summer. Which, frankly, I fully anticipate.

This is a non-story. It only becomes a story if they actually don't fire him - which they should because he's bad and unlikeable. But this structuring of his contract is just smart, non-committal business.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#176 » by The Explorer » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:29 pm

DuckIII wrote:This is a non-story. It only becomes a story if they actually don't fire him - which they should because he's bad and unlikeable. But this structuring of his contract is just smart, non-committal business.

Paxson has already stated he sees Boylen coaching the team next season. He's spoke highly of him in the brief time he's been the head coach. It is a story because he is likeable to the people that make decisions.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM

Post#177 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:48 pm

The Explorer wrote:
DuckIII wrote:This is a non-story. It only becomes a story if they actually don't fire him - which they should because he's bad and unlikeable. But this structuring of his contract is just smart, non-committal business.

Paxson has already stated he sees Boylen coaching the team next season. He's spoke highly of him in the brief time he's been the head coach. It is a story because he is likeable to the people that make decisions.

Yeah - it would've only been a non-story if they didn't publicly and through the media communicate that he isn't expected to coach next season. They set that as the expectation for some odd reason.

They could've very easily tip-toed around that, but it was odd that he was receiving some unwarranted commitment early on. They could/should still fire him, but if I were to guess, they're leaning to retaining him until the end of next season.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,946
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#178 » by MalagaBulls » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:18 pm

Until the end of the season I can understand and live with, but with the D absolutely regressing I can't help but think this team is going nowhere. And 5o me that wiĺl create the perfect environment to lose the players again. I want to see a new coach next season.
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#179 » by Axolotl » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:20 pm

The Explorer wrote:

Paxson has already stated he sees Boylen coaching the team next season. He's spoke highly of him in the brief time he's been the head coach.

Of course Paxson says that, what else could he say? Didn't he say the same kind of things about Hoiberg at the end of last season?
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
rocbullsfan
Sophomore
And1: 73

Post#180 » by rocbullsfan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:26 pm

All I know is he better be gone after the season the players have totally checked out on him. The best part of the game yesterday was seeing him taken out and having his clip on tie knocked off.

Return to Chicago Bulls