Image ImageImage Image

Pg: Another game another blowout loss

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Re: Pg: Another game another blowout loss 

Post#121 » by the ultimates » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:20 am

For a coach who was all about fundamentals and playing the right way, I don't see it in player development or any schemes they run. Now people want to say the team isn't talented but the talent together is better than a 10 win every other game get your doors blown off team which is what is happening now. What they don't have is a collective group talent or an individual talent that will standout game in game out despite awful archaic coaching from Boylen.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#122 » by Hangtime84 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:04 am

the ultimates wrote:For a coach who was all about fundamentals and playing the right way, I don't see it in player development or any schemes they run. Now people want to say the team isn't talented but the talent together is better than a 10 win every other game get your doors blown off team which is what is happening now. What they don't have is a collective group talent or an individual talent that will standout game in game out despite awful archaic coaching from Boylen.

No are talent level is that bad. You can tell simply by our 3 point shooting, at rim percentage and ability to draw fouls
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#123 » by the ultimates » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:22 am

Hangtime84 wrote:
the ultimates wrote:For a coach who was all about fundamentals and playing the right way, I don't see it in player development or any schemes they run. Now people want to say the team isn't talented but the talent together is better than a 10 win every other game get your doors blown off team which is what is happening now. What they don't have is a collective group talent or an individual talent that will standout game in game out despite awful archaic coaching from Boylen.

No are talent level is that bad. You can tell simply by our 3 point shooting, at rim percentage and ability to draw fouls

Earlier in the season with less talent due to injuries they weren't this bad in those categories. They've cratered in those stats and others under Boylen and they've been relatively healthy. I would buy into it being a talent issue if I saw schemes on both sides of the ball that actually put players in positions to succeed.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#124 » by Stratmaster » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:45 pm

HomoSapien wrote:What's up with LaVine? He's been struggling a ton lately. And Lopez killed it after being told he wasn't going to play anymore. That's awkward.

Good to see that Lauri had a good game. I think Portis' impact is underestimated. I actually think he's the 2nd or 3rd best player on this team.
I just had to come in and say that Lavine had sucked the last couple games. Since I was calling people out for bitching about him when he was the only one playing worth a damn... I figured I should.

It is indeed odd and awkward that right now the 2 guys playing well are the 2 who got pulled from the rotation earlier this season. Really makes you wonder what our head coaches were, and are, thinking.

As far as Portis... I'm not sure what you saw that makes you think that. I can't agree with you on Bobby. To me he looks like he barely belongs in the rotation. He did fight under the boards last game; something he only seems to do about 50% of the time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#125 » by Stratmaster » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:48 pm

Axolotl wrote:Not sure yet if I'll watch this or not. I like the Nuggets though, and Markkanen's box score looks nice - apart from playing just half a game. But when the second and third in points are Robin Lopez and Jabari Parker, it's like asking me not to watch.
Jabari was actually playing defense (after the first couple of possessions he was in anyway). That's something we only see...like... on holidays and stuff. So it may be worth watching q1 (the Lauri sighting) and Parker's minutes.

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#126 » by Stratmaster » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:49 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:I honestly don't hate our pieces. But this guy has just killed the season for me -

Read on Twitter
?s=12&fbclid=IwAR1YxD3XRNHl2TM-yjQQgMiK9gpB1-e_zyLfMM67-CByJR0ORnG5VX6eyxg

The pieces suck. Let’s face the facts here.

I don't think so. People just expect them to be more than they are.

Lavine's a good player. Markkanen's a good player. Wendell's a good player.

Dunn, Hutchison, Portis, Valentine, Parker are solid rotation players.

We're just lacking star power. If you expect the aforementioned players to be the stars, then yes, they, relatively speaking, suck. If you expect guys like rookie Hutch, Portis, etc. to be productive on the level of an average starter, then yes, they also, relatively, suck.

We've got some good players that we should keep going forward. But this roster's current talent level is that of a rebuilding team, because we're in a rebuilding situation. That's just the facts.

Early in the season we were losing games but they were more tolerable because you could see the positives. Now it's just all crap. I put that on Boylen.
Well put

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#127 » by Stratmaster » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:01 pm

Dominater wrote:
Ben Wilson25 wrote:Let me start by saying that GarPax are incompetent and should be fired. They’re terrible and I hate them. That being said, isn’t this what we wanted? If you’re going to tank then TANK. That was the main complaint about last year. Maybe they know Boylen sucks and they’re pulling every wrong lever with the roster right now. Development of our core players comes second to acquiring a superstar talent. Everyone would look better next to one of those guys and we don’t have one of those guys. We can only hope that’s what’s happening because they’re not going anywhere either way.

Bingo. I mean, would you guys really rather go back to watching all those .500 teams? I dont. Either be a legit championship contender, or be a bottom feeder. Nothings worse than being in the middle.

I think the thing that frustrates us the most about this season, is the fact that none of our key "core" guys are looking like they'll be much more than Hinrich/Gordon/Deng level guys. Plus, everybody here couldn't wait for Fred to be canned, and I tried telling you guys to be careful what you wish for. Fred looks like Red Auerbach in comparison to Jimbo. Guys arent even developing under him. Last year with Fred, we had that month stretch of winning where Dunn/Markkanen/Niko all looked like all-stars, and even Portis was looking like a 6MOY candidate. Now? Our entire core sucks
Right now I would love to go back to watching >.500 teams. In a heartbeat. Wasting 4 seasons of my basketball life sucks.

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#128 » by Stratmaster » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:02 pm

Ice Man wrote:Yes I would rather watch a .500 team. So would most. This board was MUCH busier when we had a .500 team.
Yup. And with a .500 team you are generally within one player of contending.

Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#129 » by Dominator83 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:40 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
Ice Man wrote:Yes I would rather watch a .500 team. So would most. This board was MUCH busier when we had a .500 team.
Yup. And with a .500 team you are generally within one player of contending.

Except for the fact that there is no Avenue to get said player. Especially this front office. During the Hinrich /Gordon /Deng era we were "just that 1 big piece away". Did we ever swing a deal to get KG or Gasol? Nope. During the good part of the Rose era we had plenty of good assets like our 1st, the Bobcats 1st, young Taj and Asik on rookie deals, the draft right to Nikola Mirotic, Deng had value still, etc. Did we ever hit that homerun that Gar talked about being in position to hit? Nope. Free agency? We get the right to overpay 2nd rate guys like Boozer and Wallace, or washed up guys like Wade. But the big boys who are still superstars in their primes like Lebron, KD, AD, etc. Nope

Nothing I hate more than being a mediocre team with no hope to ever get over that hump. Atleast now we have the draft to look forward to every year. Nothing was more miserable to me than being a 41 win team and drafting Denzel valentine's and Tony snells
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Davell
Junior
And1: 242

Post#130 » by Davell » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:19 am

We've literally got a coach that stole his playbook from Gene Hackman in Hoosiers. There's no way to even remotely find out exactly where the talent level truly is, as long as he's here. This season is nullified on all counts. We may have a 30ish win team on talent. We may not. But we're not going to know anything with him here.
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,715

Post#131 » by Ctownbulls » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:03 pm

Wingy wrote:
madvillian wrote:I'd rather have Charles Matthews in the 2nd round in the 2019 draft. Matthews is a better athlete, better shooter and has vastly more upside. And oh, he's a 2nd round talent because he's raw like Hutch despite being 21-22 at the time of the draft.

What an awful reach that was. GarPax just cannot help themselves looking for the next Jimmy Butler late in the 1st round. It's like they hit on 16 one time, made 21, and keep busting trying to hit again.

Never forget. The Promise may have cost us Doncic.

Totally worth it
I kept screaming that all summer and the board completely ripped me apart but it's so true.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,715

Post#132 » by Ctownbulls » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:07 pm

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
Ben Wilson25 wrote:Let me start by saying that GarPax are incompetent and should be fired. They’re terrible and I hate them. That being said, isn’t this what we wanted? If you’re going to tank then TANK. That was the main complaint about last year. Maybe they know Boylen sucks and they’re pulling every wrong lever with the roster right now. Development of our core players comes second to acquiring a superstar talent. Everyone would look better next to one of those guys and we don’t have one of those guys. We can only hope that’s what’s happening because they’re not going anywhere either way.

They did it a year too late.

That's the problem.

We need lottery luck to get a top 3 pick now.
The other issue is the Bulls aren't tanking. This was supposed to basically be their young core. They clearly haven't been throwing games purposely and had been trying really hard most of the season (although that has faded).

The issue is that maybe these guys aren't as good as we had hoped. I get they are young and the coach isn't helping but if you are as talented as we though they shouldn't be this bad. It is a big, big issue.

There is a big difference between the Bulls winning 10 games and the Knicks/Hawks doing it. We thought we had a core of 4 young talented players, including one on an 80 million contract. It's not okay to suck this bad. Those teams have a few rookies and the fanbases should be happy to watch those guys have a few good games and lose.

So no, this is not what we wanted.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
SensiBull
Starter
And1: 326

Post#133 » by SensiBull » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:02 pm

JimmyJammer wrote:I know Fred was not successful during his tenure, but Boylen does not come close to what Hoiberg was. Defense was supposed to be Boylen's calling card, but we have gone from being rated 21st under Hoiberg to 27th under Boylen. Mind you, Hoiberg never had a fully healthy roster. Players were developing under Hoiberg, but now I can't even recognize our young players anymore. Hoiberg had big plans for Lauri and Dunn this season, but he never got to really coach them this season. Paxson talked about players not playing with passion after firing Hoiberg, but I never honestly saw any of that in their play and demeanor. But now, the team really looks deflated.

:clap:
http://www.un.org/en/peace/

"While people are saying, "There is peace and security," then sudden destruction will come upon them ..., and they will not escape." - 1 Thess 5:2-3

Return to Chicago Bulls