Image ImageImage Image

Who thinks we are headed for a 2nd reset after this colossal failure of a season?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Re: Who thinks we are headed for a 2nd reset after this colossal failure of a season? 

Post#41 » by DASMACKDOWN » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:29 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:
As you said, to start, those 3 players aren't too bad especially in the second year of the rebuild, but even if we land Zion or whomever else in the upcoming draft and they show Superstar potential as a rookie, we need to consolidate 2 of the core players into a legitimate All-Star calibre player.

Easier said than done of course, however, with the right combination of our players and a future pick, it's possible.

Its still a major worry though. Basically that same train of thought got us the players we have now. The Twolves cashed a big portion of their youth for an allstar (Jimmy) that they couldnt even keep for 1 and a half seasons.

That basically set their franchise back a few years in the process. I dont want to make that same mistake unless its for a cant miss guy and we are ready for a title with him.
The Cult of Personality
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Re: Who thinks we are headed for a 2nd reset after this colossal failure of a season? 

Post#42 » by kulaz3000 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:39 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:
As you said, to start, those 3 players aren't too bad especially in the second year of the rebuild, but even if we land Zion or whomever else in the upcoming draft and they show Superstar potential as a rookie, we need to consolidate 2 of the core players into a legitimate All-Star calibre player.

Easier said than done of course, however, with the right combination of our players and a future pick, it's possible.

Its still a major worry though. Basically that same train of thought got us the players we have now. The Twolves cashed a big portion of their youth for an allstar (Jimmy) that they couldnt even keep for 1 and a half seasons.

That basically set their franchise back a few years in the process. I dont want to make that same mistake unless its for a cant miss guy and we are ready for a title with him.

The ultimate goal needs to be two legitimate star players though, and without some risk, you're not going to put this team in a position to truly succeed and contend.

Put it this way, just say we suck for another 3 seasons, and somehow we get two players who are just as great as Simmons and Emiid, it doesn't mean that either of those players stay. People change their minds, has different needs for whatever reason. Point being, sometimes you need to take a gamble if the opportunity is there for to get the best players in a trade.

By the way, I believe that one of Simmons and Embiid will want out in the next 2 seasons. I feel both of these players wants to be the main guy on the team, and eventually I think one of them will seek out that opportunity elsewhere. That's my hunch.
Why so serious?
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#43 » by RedBulls23 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:30 pm

When I look at Phillies rebuild, they didn't just hold onto all their young players that didn't have star potential and fall in love with them.

Guys like Narlen Noels and MCW (for example) were traded in time to get some sort of asset for them. That's been the problem with Gar and Pax though. They fall in love with all their players and then extend role players to longterm contracts. That then hamstrings the ceiling of how good the team can be and then they aren't creative enough to make moves to continue to improve the team after the fact.

They should have looked to trade Bobby last year and gotten something for him. Maybe shop Dunn right now and see what his value is. Utilize cap space to acquire future draft picks (like the sixers did). They didn't and won't do any of that and will just stick to the plan of hope and prayer.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#44 » by ZOMG » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:32 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:When I look at Phillies rebuild, they didn't just hold onto all their young players that didn't have star potential and fall in love with them.

Guys like Narlen Noels and MCW (for example) were traded in time to get some sort of asset for them. That's been the problem with Gar and Pax though. They fall in love with all their players and then extend role players to longterm contracts. That then hamstrings the ceiling of how good the team can be and then they aren't creative enough to make moves to continue to improve the team after the fact.

They should have looked to trade Bobby last year and gotten something for him. Maybe shop Dunn right now and see what his value is. They didn't and won't do any of that and will just stick to the plan of hope and prayer.

The FO pretty much confirmed last season that they see Portis as part of the "core".

One more in a long line of horrible decisions.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#45 » by kulaz3000 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:39 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:When I look at Phillies rebuild, they didn't just hold onto all their young players that didn't have star potential and fall in love with them.

They should have looked to trade Bobby last year and gotten something for him. Maybe shop Dunn right now and see what his value is. Utilize cap space to acquire future draft picks (like the sixers did). They didn't and won't do any of that and will just stick to the plan of hope and prayer.

With high draft picks, you're right, they really haven't pulled the plug early but for middle to late picks, they have traded them when they realised that they weren't long term first like Snell and Johnson.

I think for the most part, they kept the right players, and the players who they drafted which they did keep around long term had their best seasons with us, like Ben Gordon, Kirk, Deng, Derrick, and Butler in recent years - they definitely should have pulled the plug earlier on Doug and Bobby though. Still remains to be seen how they view Lauri as a long term asset for this team.
Why so serious?
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#46 » by kyrv » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:45 pm

Can we please make a sticky that explains what rebuilding is? It's long, it's ugly. Really long. Really ugly. We are like two years in. If you expected more at this point, the process is not at fault, the expectations are.
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,611

Post#47 » by jacoby1us » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:49 pm

The only thing I’m afraid of is having this leadership responsible for developing the current lottery picks we have and future lottery picks.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#48 » by Leslie Forman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:23 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:Its still a major worry though. Basically that same train of thought got us the players we have now. The Twolves cashed a big portion of their youth for an allstar (Jimmy) that they couldnt even keep for 1 and a half seasons.

It didn't set the Wovles back at all. What the hell would they have with Dunn/LaVine/Markkanen? The worst frontcourt and wing defense in the league? The worst passing in the league? The worst basketball IQ in the league? At least Butler still got them one of the league's best 3+D guys in return, and they didn't waste time on some middling prospects instead of getting win-now vets in Gibson/Rose/Teague.

Wasting years on the "future" when it's not any better than your current is what sets you back. Yeah, don't necessarily go and trade for, say, John Wall, but if you've got a legit shot at an Anthony Davis? You take that sh*t. You take it as fast as possible.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#49 » by transplant » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:08 am

Guys like Narlen Noels and MCW (for example) were traded in time to get some sort of asset for them. That's been the problem with Gar and Pax though. They fall in love with all their players and then extend role players to longterm contract.

The same GarPax who traded Thabo Sefolosha, James Johnson, Doug McDermott and Tony Snell while they were on their rookie contracts?
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,077

Post#50 » by NecessaryEvil » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:21 am

kyrv wrote:Can we please make a sticky that explains what rebuilding is? It's long, it's ugly. Really long. Really ugly. We are like two years in. If you expected more at this point, the process is not at fault, the expectations are.

This
Bandit King
Analyst
And1: 1,145

Post#51 » by Bandit King » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:54 am

Lol reset? You'll be lucky to get second round picks for portis or Dunn!
Chicago Bulls Basketball - The Continuity
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,606
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#52 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:32 am

I don't understand. If we were to lose half our roster right now, we'd still be in the same rebuild. That's how rebuilds work. I'm not sure where the 'reset' plays into this. To me, a rebuild is several resets over several seasons, which is the plan. Isn't it?
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,610

Post#53 » by Repeat 3-peat » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:14 am

There are question marks with the core on this team but the Bulls shouldn't over think it and trade pieces away. Every player on this team is young and still can grow.

The worse thing to do is sell low on young players and see them potentially prosper elsewhere. We've seen this team give up on Dinwiddie and Niko in past years, both became good players.

Lets hope they luck up with Zion and go from there.
Rose2Boozer
Starter
And1: 647

Post#54 » by Rose2Boozer » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:40 am

Nope, it's just the nature of a rebuild. There is really no true core for this group of guys. There's only talent, GarPaxBoy evaluating the talent. The trade deadline brings a certain opportunity to tweak the roster. While the draft process and free agency gives them the opportunity to improve the talent further.

The Bulls are in the second year of a rebuild, aka the ****. It doesn't seem to be going as well as we all hoped because of not being able to draft or sign that marquee talent. I won't get worried until they start handing out 15-20 million like buttered toast though. That being said, GarPax handling Bobby Portis' potential deal kinda scares me.
ROLES & HOLES
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#55 » by musiqsoulchild » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:20 am

No resets. This is it. This offseason will be it.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#56 » by WindyCityBorn » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:50 am

musiqsoulchild wrote:No resets. This is it. This offseason will be it.

What are you expecting this off-season besides our lottery pick and hopefully a new coach?
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#57 » by kingkirk » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:15 am

The players have changed. The coaches have changed. And yet dysfunction and nonsense still reigns.

A reset needs to happen, but it shouldn’t be at the expense of the players, who at least deserve to be given time under a real coach and a management team that doesn’t hail from the Stone Age.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,309

Post#58 » by coldfish » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:17 pm

I don't know what to say about Wendell. He had flashes of being great early on but as soon as the league started calling phantom calls on him every night, he seemed to go in a shell. He has a nice form on his shot but didn't make them well from 3. If he can fix that, he can be a good center in this league. Needs to put on bulk too. I wouldn't be super attached to him but there is no pressing need to dump him.

Lauri has issues. He is slow footed, can't take smaller players in the post, isn't a good passer, is mediocre on the boards and is a poor defender. Some of this is fixable but a lot of it isn't. He is probably the biggest guy the team needs to make a decision on. I suspect he has real value in trade still. If he really is just another Ryan Anderson, trade him now. Lauri does have fantastic touch though. When left mostly open or against other slow big men, he can really fill it up. Tough decision with him.

Dunn is probably past the point of no return. I doubt he has much trade value. He isn't a great set up person, doesn't instinctively push the ball, can't shoot the 3 and has that stupid floater in the lane instead of drawing contact at the rim that tanks his efficiency. Even his defense is overrated. I'm not sure much of this is fixable at almost age 25. If you can trade him, do it. The big thing is that you can't hand him a big extension. He is a back up PG and those guys are easy to find. Once he is on a bigger deal, he will be unmovable.

Lavine is the guy that would benefit most from coaching. He is athletic, fast, has a good handle, is a willing passer and has a good shot. Most of his flaws are decision making issues. When to shoot, when to pass, how to handle a screen, etc. At age 23, he still has time and a good coach might make him look a lot better.

I don't know what to say about Portis. At times he looks good. That said, he virtually always has horrible on/off numbers and he seems to be dumb as hell. I suppose you can keep him around for a value contract but he will be unmovable for anything greater than $10m. If you can get a lottery protected first, I would move him.

The rest of the roster is meant to be transient anyways. Even without a "reset", you are looking at having 6 new faces on the team.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#59 » by musiqsoulchild » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:03 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:No resets. This is it. This offseason will be it.

What are you expecting this off-season besides our lottery pick and hopefully a new coach?

I am expecting one trade for a stud player. And one acquisition through cap space.

We have a lot of useful salary from a trade partners pov - either talent or salary wise.

Use cap space to sign Derrick and Noah with another combo guard who can start as insurance. Draft BPA at #3. Say RJ Barett.

Dunn / Derrick / Arci
Zach / Valentine / Rawle
RJ / Hutch
Lauri / Portis
Wendell / Noah

Give that team 1 season. And you're looking at playoffs for a decade.
Drellberg
Pro Prospect
And1: 182

Post#60 » by Drellberg » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:46 pm

I am calling this the bottom. The only way forward is up. Bulls have a stretch of easier games ahead. They will get their legs under them. 2-3 wins short term. Something decent will happen at the trade deadline. 22 wins for the season, some close losses, and a top 3 pick. At least one decent FA this summer though not a superstar. Boylen gets replaced if the FO finds someone they especially like. Portis is rehired on a decent contract. The roster is traumatized but has the summer to regroup. WCJ comes back a much improved 2nd year five. Dunn gets it together too. The roster was all along better than 2918-2019 showed; and with some shoring up, a summer to rest and regroup, modest reinforcements, new coach, ... a big step forward next season.

Return to Chicago Bulls