Image ImageImage Image

Bulls acquire Carmelo Anthony from Rockets (Update 2/1: Carmelo waived)

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Re: Bulls acquire Carmelo Anthony from Rockets 

Post#121 » by RememberLu » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:59 pm

Costa78 wrote:FO needs to keep making these types of trades in order to balance the budget, given that attendance and interest continues to dwindle due to poor management. No sense in overreacting, but typical GarPax move.

FO needs to keep making these types of moves due to dwindling attendance and fan interest due to the fact the FO keeps making these types of moves
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#122 » by rtblues » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:01 am

Cash Considerations, I have his rookie card if anyone is interested.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#123 » by madvillian » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:02 am

RememberLu wrote:
Costa78 wrote:FO needs to keep making these types of trades in order to balance the budget, given that attendance and interest continues to dwindle due to poor management. No sense in overreacting, but typical GarPax move.

FO needs to keep making these types of moves due to dwindling attendance and fan interest due to the fact the FO keeps making these types of moves

the beatings will continue until morale improves.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#124 » by FriedRise » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:03 am

Read on Twitter
bullslas
Veteran
And1: 1,144

Post#125 » by bullslas » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:16 am

I told you guys Melo is coming to the Bulls. :)
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,550

Post#126 » by Dominator83 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:21 am

nomorezorro wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:It’s not the front office. It’s ownership that is the problem.

The FO operates under a mandate that is ambivalent towards building a contending basketball team.

i don't think this is necessarily true

or like, i don't think an ownership ambivalent toward investing as much as possible toward building a contending basketball team is a particularly unique condition for a front office to be operating under. pocketing a quick buck for laundering the waiving of melo doesn't prevent us from making other, actually good moves. the front office is constrained by ownership, but their ineptitude magnifies those constraints

i think there's a decent amount of evidence that a team can rebuild, stay under the cap and still assemble worthwhile assets to build for the future. the bulls just preferred to spend money on jabari parker/dwyane wade/rajon rondo/justin holiday etc etc etc

Which is why I think Gar / pax have made it such a priority to find J.R. cash whenever they can. For being an organization that's considered cheap, they sure do make a habit of wasting JRs money in big chunks. Last year they paid Wade/Rondo a combined $20 million to play elsewhere, this year waste another $20 million on Jabari, etc. So now they find trades for a little bit of cash so they can say "look boss, we got you $$"
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#127 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:26 am

Dominater wrote:
nomorezorro wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:It’s not the front office. It’s ownership that is the problem.

The FO operates under a mandate that is ambivalent towards building a contending basketball team.

i don't think this is necessarily true

or like, i don't think an ownership ambivalent toward investing as much as possible toward building a contending basketball team is a particularly unique condition for a front office to be operating under. pocketing a quick buck for laundering the waiving of melo doesn't prevent us from making other, actually good moves. the front office is constrained by ownership, but their ineptitude magnifies those constraints

i think there's a decent amount of evidence that a team can rebuild, stay under the cap and still assemble worthwhile assets to build for the future. the bulls just preferred to spend money on jabari parker/dwyane wade/rajon rondo/justin holiday etc etc etc

Which is why I think Gar / pax have made it such a priority to find J.R. cash whenever they can. For being an organization that's considered cheap, they sure do make a habit of wasting JRs money in big chunks. Last year they paid Wade/Rondo a combined $20 million to play elsewhere, this year waste another $20 million on Jabari, etc. So now they find trades for a little bit of cash so they can say "look boss, we got you $$"

Have to be careful with this. $$$ to players is not discretionary up to the cap floor. Teams need to pay that out no matter what.

GarPax only cost Reinsdorf money when player salaries exceed the cap floor.
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Post#128 » by R3AL1TY » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:35 am

We finally attracted a franchise player! We finally got Melo! Playoff run here we come!
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,920

Post#129 » by ChettheJet » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:37 am

Man some of you people see the glass as half broken no matter what.

The Bulls take Melo and CASH and wait to see what team his agent finds for him to land. Then more than likely that team needs to drop somebody and his contact to make room for Melo and they send the Bulls a low cost body. That either helps with the tank so many are so fond of or maybe the guy has been sitting on a folding chair all year but likes the Boylan system and is worth keeping.

This is a nothing trade with no downside.
Kingjju4
Sophomore
And1: 37

Post#130 » by Kingjju4 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:42 am

I’m seeing this as a “favor” for Houston. I didn’t know the Bulls were in business for doing favors for others (being sarcastic). I really don’t understand this move... how does this help them get better for now or the future and what will Houston do for us? Honestly, I dont see them doing sh*t for us. Yeah... wink wink Chicago... we’ll help you later!
d boy gentleman
Analyst
And1: 1,311

Post#131 » by d boy gentleman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:44 am

bullslas wrote:I told you guys Melo is coming to the Bulls. :)

coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
Bomba Navarro
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#132 » by Bomba Navarro » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:45 am

I heard Cash got a soft touch and great court awareness as well as off the charts athleticism, but can he take us over the hump? Can he help us beat the New York Knicks? It’s nonetheless a bold move by the two-headed snake, though I’m not confident those reports on Cash being all about them wins are that accurate. By the looks of it he doesn’t really has the best attitude and is moved by things other than basketball. Talent is there, though, and Boylen will surely have him buy into his old school smashmouth style.

Stay tuned, sources are telling me they’re aggressively pursuing a trade for Trade Exception, which would help space the floor and let Cash do his thing. The writing is on the wall, folks, this is championship caliber talent they’re bringing in. And you’d better not sleep on the rights they got along the way. Check out that Roberto Dueñas guy, he’s exactly the kind of recently (2007) retired player with gigantism issues we need to instil fear into LeBron James.
suckfish wrote:Lucas. You. Inside. Me. Slow. But. Fast.

The turd!
TeK
Assistant Coach
And1: 984

Post#133 » by TeK » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:16 am

This season is a meme.
DuckIII wrote:As for New York (Knicks), they stunk because they stink and the roster looks disjointed and nonsensical because it is.
TeK
Assistant Coach
And1: 984

Re: Woj: Bulls acquire Carmelo and Cash 

Post#134 » by TeK » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:20 am

Jo Jo English wrote:Image

ugh, the nostalgia hit hard.
DuckIII wrote:As for New York (Knicks), they stunk because they stink and the roster looks disjointed and nonsensical because it is.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,400

Re: Woj: Bulls acquire Carmelo and Cash 

Post#135 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:23 am

Proven_Winner wrote:
coldfish wrote:Favor for Houston. Saves them tax money. Will get waived.

Pretty big favor to do. When an we actually cash in on all these favors especially with this being Houston’s 2nd one already this season.

GarPax aren’t good but they aren’t complete Dolts either. The cash considerations aren’t that much to make a difference in a franchise worth 3.5 billion, if anything having too much cash vs expenses will cost them more in federal tax. I am sure Jerry knows what that threshold is. Their idea or plan with this is to call in favors when they are on the rise back up. Gain some favors with the other GM’s who I am sure are not a fan of the. I know Pax likely gkadhands everybody at a GM meeting then sits in a corner. Maybe just maybe joined Thibs in a corner barely speaking but silently condemning everyone in the room. They sit back and watch Gar go and try to talk to other guys and look as everyone gets out of conversation with him as quickly as possible. So yeah they need to earn some favors. Will this plan work? I don’t know. I think burning the Bulls doesn’t absolutely ruin you in the GM circle. I doubt it pays off well for them but I’ll eat crow if they make this work. I would be overjoyed to know they have some Machiavellian strategy at work and aren’t just middling GM’s
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,400

Post#136 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:32 am

I wonder too if we will somehow have a broken down Lebron. Kinda Bulls tradition even before Jerry. George Gervin (Johnny Kerr favor I think) ok Jerry seems to have a soft spot for broken down stars. Parish, Griffey JR, Manny, Wade, etc... sell a few seats and jerseys on nostalgia.
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#137 » by MeloRoseNoah » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:33 am

This trade is big! Cash is def a difference maker!
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Post#138 » by DASMACKDOWN » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:35 am

To help out Morey twice in one season must mean JR has serious equity with their owner. Its rare to do a financial help deal twice in a season.

First MCW and now Melo.
The Cult of Personality
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#139 » by FriedRise » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:42 am

Y’all are too optimistic about Cash. Yeah I see the potential, but to me he’s still a little... green.
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#140 » by MeloRoseNoah » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:44 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:To help out Morey twice in one season must mean JR has serious equity with their owner. Its rare to do a financial help deal twice in a season.

First MCW and now Melo.

Nah, it just confirms that the product is suffering with loss of revenue. We know that already. From here on, no more free profit and lack of accountability for a crappy product. If they don’t turn this team around in 2-3 years, Reinsdorf will cash out and sell this team to a Silicon Valley owner. I look forward to that day.

Return to Chicago Bulls