Image ImageImage Image

Rumor from NBC Sports Radio: Bill Self to leave Kansas and become Bulls head coach after season

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Re: Rumor from NBC Sports Radio: Bill Self to leave Kansas and become Bulls head coach after season 

Post#41 » by RedBulls23 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:03 am

kulaz3000 wrote:College coaches make me nervous, regardless of their record in the NCAA.

I think college coaches can work if they go to a team that has talent.

As for Bill Self, the general consensus seems to be that he's a great recruiter but not that good of a coach.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Re: Rumor from NBC Sports Radio: Bill Self to leave Kansas and become Bulls head coach after season 

Post#42 » by RedBulls23 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:05 am

I'll be annoyed if this happens where yet again the front office does not do proper search and interview candidates.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,251

Post#43 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:07 am

His teams are known for choking. Good recruiter, mediocre coach, especially when it matters.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#44 » by Jcool0 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:28 am

RedBulls23 wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:College coaches make me nervous, regardless of their record in the NCAA.

As for Bill Self, the general consensus seems to be that he's a great recruiter but not that good of a coach.

From who? The people here who mostly say they don't follow college basketball or the ones still mad he left Illinois?
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#45 » by AKfanatic » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:36 am

One guys thoughts on this rumor...

Read on Twitter
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#46 » by RedBulls23 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:55 am

Jcool0 wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:

From who? The people here who mostly say they don't follow college basketball or the ones still mad he left Illinois?

No, from the people who follow college basketball.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#47 » by RedBulls23 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:58 am

AKfanatic wrote:One guys thoughts on this rumor...

Read on Twitter

With more colleges being investigated I can see more coaches wanting to leave before **** hits the fan.
JimmyButler21
Starter
And1: 1,570

Post#48 » by JimmyButler21 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:05 am

Bill Self is not a good coach, at all
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#49 » by madvillian » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:57 am

RedBulls23 wrote:

Read on Twitter

With more colleges being investigated I can see more coaches wanting to leave before **** hits the fan.

while true, there are probably only about a handful of NCAA coaches that are legit NBA level coaches aside from paying kids via booster and shoe company money to play for them.

that's like Jay Wright, Roy Williams, John Beilein, Tony Benett and maybe a couple other guys at most.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#50 » by AKfanatic » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:59 am

madvillian wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:

Read on Twitter

while true, there are probably only about a handful of NCAA coaches that are legit NBA level coaches aside from paying kids via booster and shoe company money to play for them.

that's like Jay Wright, Roy Williams, John Beilein, Tony Benett and maybe a couple other guys at most.

Jay Wright rumors would get me a bit excited....
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#51 » by madvillian » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:27 am

AKfanatic wrote:
madvillian wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:With more colleges being investigated I can see more coaches wanting to leave before **** hits the fan.

Jay Wright rumors would get me a bit excited....

yea he's a guy that might move the needle a bit, brad stevens type impact as above average nba coach.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
bullslas
Veteran
And1: 1,144

Post#52 » by bullslas » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:46 am

Anything but Boylan! I’ll take Self! Maybe he can “recruit” for the Bulls.
The Senator
Junior
And1: 340

Post#54 » by The Senator » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:01 am

Seriously, I'd rather keep Boylen than to go with that clown. Captain Kirk aside, I despise the Kansas program and would stop watching straight up if this ever happened.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,543

Post#55 » by dice » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:36 am

over the last 6 seasons (excluding this one), self has had an average recruiting class of 9 and average year-end poll ranking of 5. hard to outperform recruiting classes like that on the court
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#56 » by bullsnewdynasty » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:02 am

I would give Boylen another year. I don’t think it’s fair to evaluate him without a training camp and healthy starting 5. The Bulls are playing better ball than they were at the start of the year and moving on from him this summer wouldn’t represent a fair shake. If the Bulls are in this position next year, that’s a different story.
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,949

Post#58 » by Axl Rose » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:40 am

I say BS until it gains more credible sourcing. Hard to imagine they would hire a college coach after Hoiberg or that a college coach would even want to come here. Its a pretty far out there rumor though and seems like an odd thing to pull out of nowhere.
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,886

Post#59 » by MAQ » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:22 am

RedBulls23 wrote:I'll be annoyed if this happens where yet again the front office does not do proper search and interview candidates.

Despite the fact that I may actually prefer to keep Boylen instead of bringing in Self, this was also my biggest takeaway as well.

Why are they not seeing who best fits the role via interviews? If you ever wanted more proof that the Bulls are directionless, let's look at the last 3 hires that took place. No need to interview folks to see if they fit your plans if you don't have a **** plan.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#60 » by Axolotl » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:55 am

"Heard from a guy who heard from a guy who heard from a guy who heard from a guy whom he calls a source."
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.

Return to Chicago Bulls