Image ImageImage Image

Rumor from NBC Sports Radio: Bill Self to leave Kansas and become Bulls head coach after season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,489

Re: Rumor from NBC Sports Radio: Bill Self to leave Kansas and become Bulls head coach after season 

Post#61 » by DuckIII » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:25 pm

Dieselbound&Down wrote:. . . . . [patiently waits for Duck to lose his shite in a rant about Self and Illini basketball]. . . . .

**** Bill Self and the horse he road in on. He’s going to find it hard to be successful in the NBA when fake southern charm and illegal recruiting don’t win games. Bill, the players are already rich. You have no leverage. Stay in college where the fact that you can’t coach for jack **** is concealed by suitcases of cash.

Now, if you want to come back to the Illini on the other hand, I’m all ears.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Re: Rumor from NBC Sports Radio: Bill Self to leave Kansas and become Bulls head coach after season 

Post#62 » by MrFortune3 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:55 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Dieselbound&Down wrote:. . . . . [patiently waits for Duck to lose his shite in a rant about Self and Illini basketball]. . . . .

**** Bill Self and the horse he road in on. He’s going to find it hard to be successful in the NBA when fake southern charm and illegal recruiting don’t win games. Bill, the players are already rich. You have no leverage. Stay in college where the fact that you can’t coach for jack **** is concealed by suitcases of cash.

This has the feeling of scorned ex-lover all over it.
bullslas
Veteran
And1: 1,144

Post#63 » by bullslas » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:02 pm

Bill Self to Bulls, he gets fired 3 years later, then he goes back to the Illini and are 2025 National Champs!!!
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#64 » by transplant » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:25 pm

DuckIII wrote:

You always have to respect a man who so openly declares he has no scruples. Well played, lad.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,489

Post#65 » by DuckIII » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:08 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

I wasn’t trying to be subtle about it. :lol:
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Jello Biafra
Analyst
And1: 348

Post#66 » by Jello Biafra » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:15 pm

madvillian wrote:No, God no! Dude is not a good coach he is a great recruiter! He would be awful in the NBA.

And everybody says the Bulls can't recruit the star free agents.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,518

Post#67 » by dice » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:26 pm

bullsnewdynasty wrote:I would give Boylen another year. I don’t think it’s fair to evaluate him without a training camp and healthy starting 5. The Bulls are playing better ball than they were at the start of the year and moving on from him this summer wouldn’t represent a fair shake. If the Bulls are in this position next year, that’s a different story.

mid-season fill-in coaches generally don't get a fair shake. because they were never intended to be head coach to begin with. just ask the last boylen who coached the bulls
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,699

Post#68 » by dougthonus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:28 pm

dice wrote:over the last 6 seasons (excluding this one), self has had an average recruiting class of 9 and average year-end poll ranking of 5. hard to outperform recruiting classes like that on the court

Are they the 9th team in recruiting over the past 6 seasons or are they averaging 9th? They could theoretically be a top 5 recruiting team by averaging 9th because enough teams out of left field rank in the top 10 but don't have high averages due to lack of consistency.

Ie, there's no team that averages 1st unless the same team had the best recruiting class the past six years, same with 2nd etc...
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#69 » by Proven_Winner » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:41 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:
Droseisthe1 wrote:I could think of a few other college coaches I’d want before Bill Self if this is indeed the route we go.

This could be a situation where Self is waiting to see what pick the Bulls land

Just curious but why would the pick matter?

If they get Zion

Damn that some serious trust in that kid if he’d leave his cushy job for us.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,936
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#70 » by MalagaBulls » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:19 pm

Oh God, not another college coach.

pduh01
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,562

Post#71 » by pduh01 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:43 pm

Never a big fan hiring college coaches to the pro…I will be pissed if the bulls didn’t interview him and other coaches you know do the process instead just hiring him right off the gate like they did with Fred after they fired Thibs
Check out my blogs
http://nbaanalytical.blogspot.com/ <-------NBA Analytical

Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/phillip93
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#72 » by MrFortune3 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:48 pm

DuckIII wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

I wasn’t trying to be subtle about it. :lol:

Oh I most certainly noticed. At first it was like "You are an ****, I hate your guts!" then it turned to "I still want you back though!" real quick. I was like damn...
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#73 » by rtblues » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:54 pm

Never gonna happen...
Lock it up.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
TankForAyton
Junior
And1: 246

Post#74 » by TankForAyton » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:35 am

Brandon Lang is a fraud. Losing sports bettor / scam artist. Lock this thread.
dice
RealGM

Post#75 » by dice » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:58 am

dougthonus wrote:
dice wrote:over the last 6 seasons (excluding this one), self has had an average recruiting class of 9 and average year-end poll ranking of 5. hard to outperform recruiting classes like that on the court

Are they the 9th team in recruiting over the past 6 seasons or are they averaging 9th? They could theoretically be a top 5 recruiting team by averaging 9th because enough teams out of left field rank in the top 10 but don't have high averages due to lack of consistency.

Ie, there's no team that averages 1st unless the same team had the best recruiting class the past six years, same with 2nd etc...

recruiting class ranks: 5, 9, 16, 13, 9, 2 (avg 9.0)
final AP poll (pre tourney): 4, 8, 9, 1, 1, 9 (avg 5.3)

other schools:

kentucky recruiting 1.7 polls 18.5 (weak coaching, most likely)
duke recruiting 2.5 polls 3.0 (would indicate strong coaching, particularly given 1 and done recruits and kentucky comparison)
AZ recruiting 8.5 polls 10.5
UNC recruiting 23.5 polls 14.0 (indicates strong coaching)
villanova recruiting 32.5 polls 12.8 (ditto)
MSU recruiting 35.5 polls 18.1 (ditto)
baylor recruiting 47.5 polls 32.8 (ditto)
WVU recruiting 49.0 polls 33.3 (ditto)
VA recruiting 52.5 polls 12.7 (ditto) (clearly strong coaching, though playing upperclassmen surely helps)
wich. st recruiting 79.3 polls 23.5
gonzaga recruiting 85.7 polls 14.1 (ditto)
st mary's recruiting 104.8 polls 34.2 (ditto)
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#76 » by the ultimates » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:42 am

Self isn't as bad a coach as some make him out to be. The guy won the regular season big 12 title outright or shared for a decade and a half, that has to count for something. Now has he has some really good teams fall short of expectations in the tournament of course but so have his contemporaries in Izzo, Coach K, and Calipari.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#77 » by bullsnewdynasty » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:45 am

dice wrote:
bullsnewdynasty wrote:I would give Boylen another year. I don’t think it’s fair to evaluate him without a training camp and healthy starting 5. The Bulls are playing better ball than they were at the start of the year and moving on from him this summer wouldn’t represent a fair shake. If the Bulls are in this position next year, that’s a different story.

mid-season fill-in coaches generally don't get a fair shake. because they were never intended to be head coach to begin with. just ask the last boylen who coached the bulls

Except the Bulls didn’t give him the interim tag which means he basically got hired as our HC mid-season.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,874

Post#78 » by nomorezorro » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:49 am

am i wrong or is self's offense like, notoriously bad for showcasing nba talent? in my mind this dude is basically the textbook example of "college coach"
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
dice
RealGM

Post#79 » by dice » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:52 am

bullsnewdynasty wrote:
dice wrote:

Except the Bulls didn’t give him the interim tag which means he basically got hired as our HC mid-season.

except that his contract is only guaranteed for $1 mil next season. hoiberg had a 5 year $25 mil guaranteed deal
dice
RealGM

Post#80 » by dice » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:23 am

nomorezorro wrote:am i wrong or is self's offense like, notoriously bad for showcasing nba talent? in my mind this dude is basically the textbook example of "college coach"

bill self recruits that he coached for at least half of their college stay (UIUC and KU), their HS class rank and their nba draft position:

1 wiggins 1
1 josh jackson 4
4 cliff alexander
6 julian wright 13
6 xavier henry 12
6 josh selby 49
6 cheick diallo 33
8 kelly oubre 15
8.5 mario chalmers 34
11 darrell arthur 27
13 wayne selden
16 embiid 3
19 billy preston
22 cole aldrich 11
22 carlton bragg
23 brandon rush 13
25 elijah johnson
28 thomas robinson 5
31 russell robinson
31 perry ellis
33 udoka azubuike
36 rodrick stewart
36 brannen greene
41 ben mclemore 7
43 sasha kaun
49 travis releford
54 marcus garrett
56 lagerald vick
57.5 jodie meeks 41
59 tarik black
62 roger powell
63 marcus morris 14
63 tyrel reed
65 devonte graham 34
67 markieff morris 13
68 darnell jackson 52
71 hunter mickelson
73 tyshawn taylor 41
77 nick smith
89 frank mason 34
91 naadir tharpe
95 sviatoslav mykhailiuk 47

Return to Chicago Bulls