Image ImageImage Image

(Optimistically) Best Case Offseason Discussion

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Bulldog23
Bench Warmer
And1: 141

Re: (Optimistically) Best Case Offseason Discussion 

Post#121 » by Bulldog23 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:00 pm

HomoSapien wrote:This is going to seem reactionary, but I've been thinking about this for quite some time. I think we should target Seth Curry. Even if he doesn't have real PG abilities, I think that's OK. He's an elite shooter and in the "everyone's a ball-handler" system we have going his ability to create spacing would be huge for us.

I like it..I want a shooter next to Lavine...when Lavine goes primary ball handler....with WCJ, Porter, and Laurie. I want to see how effective that lineup is..Three shooters..surrounding Lavine when he goes to the basket..

Beal, Gary Harris, KCP, or Russel...are dream scenarios for me..Seth makes sense.

I think this is the reason why Denzel is important because he can shoot and run offense...if he can perform..very valuable.
VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,025

Post#122 » by VolumePoster » Fri May 17, 2019 2:01 pm

Seth does make a ton of sense.
xpmar9x
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#123 » by xpmar9x » Fri May 17, 2019 2:10 pm

Davell wrote:I don't think its remotely feasible to trade Dunn and unload Felicio. Dunn barely has any value on his own.

You're so right The Felicio unloads crack me up. Nobody is paying that bum $15+ mil over the next two years for Dunn and some **** picks.
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,512

Post#124 » by panthermark » Fri May 17, 2019 8:09 pm

Panthermark's 5 step plans

Plan A (assuming Garland is gone):

1. Draft White, Reddish, or Culver (two of the three will be there....pick one).
2. Draft a big in the 2nd round. Fall?
3. Sign Brodgon. What does it take to make the Bucks balk? $22.5M? I hate to pay that much ($18M is much better)...but he is key.
4. Sign Taj with the room MLE
5. Profit!

Plan B (If Garland somehow falls to us at #7, the plan is tweaked slightly.)
1. Draft Garland
2. Draft a big in the 2nd round. Fall? (Assuming we didn't use this pick to trade up to #5)
3. Sign some type of vet PG that knows he is a temporary solution. Should cost less than Brogdon. Might even be able to absorb the original Garland...Jeff Teague.
4. Resign RoLo with cap room and/or (maybe) sigh Taj with room MLE.
5. Profit!

I'm going to be honest.
I think plan A works out really well. I'm not all that broken up about falling to #7.

Plan B is based 100% on how Garland works out long term. If he eventually develops into a "good", but not "great" player, we essentially waste a year or two grooming a solid, but not spectacular, starting PG. That is an opportunity loss compared to signing Brogdon, and developing (what is hopefully, and most likely) a solid, but not spectacular combo guard or wing in White, Culver, or Reddish.

Basically, the window for this team is just starting to open. This is the last time we will have cap room for awhile, and we can't afford to "miss" on a starting PG.
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
jump
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,407

Post#125 » by jump » Fri May 17, 2019 10:36 pm

Does anybody have a handle in what the real options are on Felicio? We’re never going to be able to trade him. If we extend him, how does that work? What kind of money would we free up?
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#126 » by bad knees » Fri May 17, 2019 10:43 pm

jump wrote:Does anybody have a handle in what the real options are on Felicio? We’re never going to be able to trade him. If we extend him, how does that work? What kind of money would we free up?

Felicio has two years and $15.7 M total left on his contract. If the Bulls stretch his contract this summer (not sure of when the deadline is), we would be able to stretch his $15.7 M cap hit over five years (two times the number of years remaining on his contract plus one). So he would go from a $8.15 M cap hit this year to about a $3.15 M cap hit. In other words, if we stretch Felicio this summer, we gain about $5 M in cap space, but have to take a cap hit of about $3 M per year in each of the next five years.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,641

Post#127 » by sco » Sat May 18, 2019 1:00 am

bad knees wrote:
jump wrote:Does anybody have a handle in what the real options are on Felicio? We’re never going to be able to trade him. If we extend him, how does that work? What kind of money would we free up?

Felicio has two years and $15.7 M total left on his contract. If the Bulls stretch his contract this summer (not sure of when the deadline is), we would be able to stretch his $15.7 M cap hit over five years (two times the number of years remaining on his contract plus one). So he would go from a $8.15 M cap hit this year to about a $3.15 M cap hit. In other words, if we stretch Felicio this summer, we gain about $5 M in cap space, but have to take a cap hit of about $3 M per year in each of the next five years.

I think there is a chance we can trade his contract next offseason or the following trade deadline. It's a sunk cost and not a killer amount going forward.
:clap:
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#128 » by bearadonisdna » Sat May 18, 2019 10:05 am

Proposal,
Tank year 3.
Tanks are fun.
When done right.
Cheap tickets. You can watch a budding superteam.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,984

Post#129 » by Chi town » Sat May 18, 2019 4:17 pm

Knowing Pax...

1. Trade Dunn to move up and draft Garland.

2. Sign Beverley and Taj

Bev/Garland/Arch
Lavine/Val
Otto/Hutch
Lauri/Taj
WCJ/Taj
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,308

Post#130 » by Kurt Heimlich » Sat May 18, 2019 8:51 pm

Draft goes Zion, morant, DJ, Garland, hunter, coby
Draft:
Culver at 7
Isiah roby at 38

Trade dunn to suns for top 55 protected second.

Trading dunn opens up roughly 25M in cap. Offer brogdon 4 year 94M front loaded deal (25, 24, 23, 22).

Resign rolo with mle. 2 years 15M.

Selden, Sampson, lemon, shaq or the latest iteration of min level players play out for final 2 roster spots.

Brogdon 30/arci 14/lavine 4
Lavine 30/culver 18
OPJ 33/hutch 10/culver 5
Lauri 32/roby 8/hutch 8
WCJ 30/rolo 18
Bulldog23
Bench Warmer
And1: 141

Post#131 » by Bulldog23 » Sun May 19, 2019 1:16 pm

This report that Lakers are interested in Favors is disappointing...Lol..I view Favors on top of my veterans big list.

1. Favors
2. Vucevic
3. Wiley
4. Ed Davis
5. Vonley

Trade targets
1. Cody Zeller
2. Bamba

I guess these will be all crossed off by the end...as brown bag over your head Bulls fan...expect to be disappointed..all I got left is hope on decisions not made. As a fan this is as good as it gets..as all options to improve are on the table..but as the off season ends..you realize they won’t make any decision close to it. Lol..
jump
Assistant Coach

Post#132 » by jump » Sun May 19, 2019 1:19 pm

Chi town wrote:Knowing Pax...

1. Trade Dunn to move up and draft Garland.

2. Sign Beverley and Taj

Bev/Garland/Arch
Lavine/Val
Otto/Hutch
Lauri/Taj
WCJ/Taj

I would be thrilled with this outcome.
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,713

Post#133 » by Ctownbulls » Sun May 19, 2019 1:51 pm

Kurt Heimlich wrote:Draft goes Zion, morant, DJ, Garland, hunter, coby
Draft:
Culver at 7
Isiah roby at 38

Trading dunn opens up roughly 25M in cap. Offer brogdon 4 year 94M front loaded deal (25, 24, 23, 22).

Selden, Sampson, lemon, shaq or the latest iteration of min level players play out for final 2 roster spots.

Lavine 30/culver 18
OPJ 33/hutch 10/culver 5
Lauri 32/roby 8/hutch 8
WCJ 30/rolo 18
Why do we want Culver? It would take a string of unfortunate events for him to ever become a starter here.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,713

Post#134 » by Ctownbulls » Sun May 19, 2019 1:54 pm

Draft White

Get rid of Dunn

Sign a hard nosed vet as a mentor

Role with

White, Lavine, Porter, Lauri, Carter all season

Win 35-42 games

Maybe sneak into playoffs

Re-evaluate next summer...we should know what we have in Lauri at that point. If he's a superstar build around, if not hopefully there is value in these guys to blow it up.

Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,308

Post#135 » by Kurt Heimlich » Sun May 19, 2019 4:37 pm

Ctownbulls wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:Draft goes Zion, morant, DJ, Garland, hunter, coby
Draft:
Culver at 7
Isiah roby at 38

Lavine 30/culver 18
OPJ 33/hutch 10/culver 5
Lauri 32/roby 8/hutch 8
WCJ 30/rolo 18
Why do we want Culver? It would take a string of unfortunate events for him to ever become a starter here.

I personally like him as a prospect a lot more than white. A lot of Texas techs offense ran thru Culver and he only avgd .3 less apg than white. And as a defender hes a much better backcourt complement to zach.

Zach/culver/opj/lauri/wcj is the lineup I invision. And if we got lucky enough to steal brogdon then a brogdon/lavine/culver/opj/lauri is another lineup I can see playing significant minutes.

Ultimately I like his skillset as a 6'7" secondary ball handler with plus defense and rebounding and the versatility and upside that goes along with that.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,641

Post#136 » by sco » Sun May 19, 2019 6:21 pm

I’m zeroing in on Brogdon, BPA, Fall and A need based room MLE like Taj or Deng.
:clap:
jump
Assistant Coach

Post#137 » by jump » Sun May 19, 2019 9:12 pm

Here’s my alternative strategy.
1 Draft Jaxson Hayes with #7
2. Trade Dunn to move up to late first round and take Ty Jerome
3. Sign Brogdon
4. Sign Vonley

You get a young, versatile multi position roster with good shooters:

You get there guys who can play PG or SG
- Brogdon, Lavine, Jerome
Three at SF who can play multiple positions
- Otto, Hutch, Valentine
Three to cover PF/C
- Lauri, WCJ, Hayes

Your bench includes:
Arci, Blakeney, Shaq, Vonley, Felicio
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#138 » by TheSuzerain » Sun May 19, 2019 10:02 pm

That some of these plans are the “best case scenario” really shows how dire the situation is. Yikes.
Threekola
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#139 » by Threekola » Mon May 20, 2019 6:09 am

Because I’m not all that excited about our options for a pass first point guard, I’m moving towards the Brogdon bandwagon. Brogdon/LaVine/Porter/Markkanen/Carter is perfectly set up for Zach to flourish, if he can’t be an all-star in that lineup he never will be. You’ve got two for sure top notch 3 and D guys in that lineup sandwiching Zach, another big to provide spacing, and a big who can be really good on defense. We’ve blown every chance to find an obviously elite primary ball handler, don’t see any other choice they than trying to continue to groom Zach into it.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,106

Post#140 » by patryk7754 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:40 pm

I think our top target should be D'Angelo Russel. He's crazy underrated. If his only problem is that when he was 19 (or whatever he was) he misused snapchat then he doesn't really have any problems. People forget how good his rookie season was scoring wise. IIRC he dropped at least 40 multiple times which is saying something for a rookie. Also, his passing was grossly overlooked. I remember his passing being compared to Jason Kidd's coming out of college. He has been able to better showcase his passing with the Nets. Unlike guys like Harden or Westbrook who get most of their assists by passing to a guy who happens to be open in the corner, Russel actually makes the game easier for his teammates through his passing. The way he runs a fastbreak is masterful and he passes players open. I think soon he'll be talked about as one of the best PGs in the nba.

Return to Chicago Bulls