Image ImageImage Image

Bulls 2nd Round Pick Merged

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

mkittaka
Sophomore
And1: 31

Re: Bulls 2nd Round Pick 

Post#21 » by mkittaka » Thu May 16, 2019 9:25 pm

TACKO FALL
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,920

Post#22 » by ChettheJet » Thu May 16, 2019 9:50 pm

League Circles wrote:The thing people always ignore with 2nd rounders is their roster spot/opportunities.

Barring trade, here is our roster :

WCJ
Lauri
Felicio
OPJ
Hutchison
Valentine
Zach
Blakeney
Dunn

Room MLE
1-3 free agents with actual cap space

That's 12-14 guys out of 15 before we even talk about our second rounder.

That 2nd rounder must compete for a roster spot with Shaq, Lemon, Arci, and actual real vets for the minimum. How many marginal young guys is too much?

Maybe we could draft and stash a foreign pro but I don't think a #38 pick will agree to a two way contract.

If we're not confident that a guy at 38 can beat all but one or maybe two of vet minimum signees, Arci, Shaq, Lemon etc, we should package it in trade cause it'll go to waste.

Good list, don't really agree on filling in

You have to look at position and who can play more than on position not just 15

without knowing where #7 plays is a big question mark, the PG need of best available, if they trade the pick and Dunn and/or Felicio that determines who you bring back

Do they bring back Lopez to come off the bench because he really fits what Boylen wants at the 5
if they draft a PG and keep Dunn who makes more sense Archi or Harrison if they trade Dunn keep both or look for a vet because with Valentine coming back neither of the backup PGs can really play the 2
How much do you count on Hutchison and Porter to be the backup 4s, wouldn't somebody in the second round be better than bringing back Sampson

I would like to see them find 1 veteran big and 1 wing then buy another second and get one of each. That way if a starter gets injured Hutchison or Valentine can start, the vet can be the backup rather than counting on significant minutes from a 2nd round rookie
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#23 » by bad knees » Thu May 16, 2019 9:55 pm

ChettheJet wrote:
League Circles wrote:The thing people always ignore with 2nd rounders is their roster spot/opportunities.

WCJ
Lauri
Felicio
OPJ
Hutchison
Valentine
Zach
Blakeney
Dunn

Room MLE

That 2nd rounder must compete for a roster spot with Shaq, Lemon, Arci, and actual real vets for the minimum. How many marginal young guys is too much?

Maybe we could draft and stash a foreign pro but I don't think a #38 pick will agree to a two way contract.

If we're not confident that a guy at 38 can beat all but one or maybe two of vet minimum signees, Arci, Shaq, Lemon etc, we should package it in trade cause it'll go to waste.

without knowing where #7 plays is a big question mark, the PG need of best available, if they trade the pick and Dunn and/or Felicio that determines who you bring back

Do they bring back Lopez to come off the bench because he really fits what Boylen wants at the 5
if they draft a PG and keep Dunn who makes more sense Archi or Harrison if they trade Dunn keep both or look for a vet because with Valentine coming back neither of the backup PGs can really play the 2
How much do you count on Hutchison and Porter to be the backup 4s, wouldn't somebody in the second round be better than bringing back Sampson

I would like to see them find 1 veteran big and 1 wing then buy another second and get one of each. That way if a starter gets injured Hutchison or Valentine can start, the vet can be the backup rather than counting on significant minutes from a 2nd round rookie

You can add TLC as a guaranteed contract to the list. So we currently have 11 players with guaranteed contracts next year if you include 7.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,154

Post#24 » by League Circles » Thu May 16, 2019 10:02 pm

ChettheJet wrote:

WCJ
Lauri
Felicio
OPJ
Hutchison
Valentine
Zach
Blakeney
Dunn

Room MLE

Trades could either free up or take up roster spots, so for the moment I'm projecting no trades for purposes of looking at roster spots.

We have a minimum of 12 and quite possibly 14 out of 15 roster spots already decided and already have these guys competing for those 1-3 spots:

Shaq
Lemon
Arci
Every vet minimum player already in the league

I'd be trying hard to trade the pick. I'd take Arci over 38 tbh. Maybe if there is a freak available at 38 I'll be excited to keep it.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,452

Post#25 » by LateNight » Thu May 16, 2019 10:05 pm

Mech Engineer wrote:Losing guys like Dinwiddie and flaming out on so many PGs shows there is a PG evaluation skill missing in the front office. None of them have even looked like 20 min rotation player on a playoff team.

The problem is, people said the same thing about Dinwiddie. There were tons of people on here who did not care that we let him go — it’s not just the FO
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#26 » by Mech Engineer » Thu May 16, 2019 10:20 pm

LateNight wrote:
Mech Engineer wrote:Losing guys like Dinwiddie and flaming out on so many PGs shows there is a PG evaluation skill missing in the front office. None of them have even looked like 20 min rotation player on a playoff team.

The problem is, people said the same thing Abbie it’s Dinwiddie. There were tons of people on here who did not care that we let him go — it’s not just the FO

You are comparing unpaid internet fans evaluation to people who are paid millions and that's their 24 hour job. They have to figure out a way to hit on a PG because that has them hurt the team's progress for a decade now.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#27 » by sco » Thu May 16, 2019 10:28 pm

I think the issue with Dinnwiddie IIRC was that he was battling Grant, who we traded for, had a contract and Horace, and while he outplayed Grant, it wasn't by enough to keep him. Also, we wanted more of a PG and he was, and is IMO, more of a SG.
:clap:
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#28 » by Mech Engineer » Thu May 16, 2019 10:42 pm

sco wrote:I think the issue with Dinnwiddie IIRC was that he was battling Grant, who we traded for, had a contract and Horace, and while he outplayed Grant, it wasn't by enough to keep him. Also, we wanted more of a PG and he was, and is IMO, more of a SG.

Yeah...but they knew shooting type PGs are the way to go. Paxson was gushing about the Spurs/Warriors guards shooting ability. A ball handling shooting guard is a precious thing for this team from the time Derrick Rose complained about a running mate.

IMO, they have had some success with the big guys and even tall wings but in regards to PGs, they have a problem. There is a long list of failures...Cam Payne, Marquis Teague, Grant, Dunn, MCW etc... they need to figure out a decent PG quick. And, I don't trust their scouting skills on a 2nd round pick(who are usually projects and have to be projected more than a 1st round pick).
TeamMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 554

Post#29 » by TeamMan » Fri May 17, 2019 1:33 am

Took a long time but finally Dylan Windler, 6-7 SG (43% 3P, 11 Rbs., 21 PPG) caught my eye.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/3906786/dylan-windler

He's a senior so he might be available at #38.

nbadraft.net projects him at #37.

This is a case where the Bulls might try moving up in the 2nd round to get him.

==========================
Jaylen Nowell, 6-4 SG (44% 3P, 5 Rbs, 16 PPG) would be my next choice.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4278541/jaylen-nowell

nbadraft.net projects him at #40.
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#30 » by realEAST » Fri May 17, 2019 10:58 am

This would be my list, some of these guys are going earlier, but most should be there at #38, some of them even later on (yeah, it would be nice to buy extra 2nd rounder, but I know it is far fetched). They are listed in no particular order

G: Pool/Nowell/Scofield/T. Mann/Jerome/Dotson/Zagars
F: Paschall/Roby/King/Windler/Okpala/Samanic/ Bazley
C: Claxton/Kabengele

* Grimes, Jeffries, Brazdeikis, Gafford
(this guys have more questionmarks or lower ceiling than those above imo)
bigworld2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

Post#31 » by bigworld2017 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:57 pm

mkittaka wrote:TACKO FALL

I've warmed up to the idea of Fall. He hasn't played basketball that long. But I think he has situational potential. And you can't teach a 10' 2" wingspan. He would need to work very hard on his strength and foot work. But he could be a real threat down low with alley-oops and put back dunks. He's probably needs a year in the "G" League to get sufficient playing time to improve. Would he go for that? But by the time we could rid ourselves of Felicio's contract Fall might be ready to give us 15 minutes a game at the "5" off the bench. Play him against the other teams' bench players. He's a second rounder. Has unicorn length. Why not take a chance?
TeamMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 554

Post#32 » by TeamMan » Fri May 17, 2019 2:24 pm

bigworld2017 wrote:

I've warmed up to the idea of Fall. He hasn't played basketball that long. But I think he has situational potential. And you can't teach a 10' 2" wingspan. He would need to work very hard on his strength and foot work. But he could be a real threat down low with alley-oops and put back dunks. He's probably needs a year in the "G" League to get sufficient playing time to improve. Would he go for that? But by the time we could rid ourselves of Felicio's contract Fall might be ready to give us 15 minutes a game at the "5" off the bench. Play him against the other teams' bench players. He's a second rounder. Has unicorn length. Why not take a chance?

With these bigs, there is always the question of whether or not they can keep up with the pace of today's NBA and not end up with foot problems.

Don't know if anyone has the answer. I'd think that one of the shoe companies would have found a solution, but we keep seeing it happen.

With that said, I think that Lauri, Zach and OPJ need a low-post-presence (LPO) to open up the court for their 3P shooting.
So, if the Bulls are not planning to bring back RoLo they should definitely try to get this guy.

Bol Bol is not a center in my opinion. Maybe after 3 years of putting on muscle he might be any answer, but not immediately.

Fall could give 10-15 minutes a game and have an immediate impact.
Shootdabull
Veteran
And1: 138

Post#33 » by Shootdabull » Fri May 17, 2019 2:53 pm

I think we go international with Luka Samanic. In the scrimmage portion of Thursday's combine scored 13 points in under 20 minutes played. He tested well too, with a shuttle run, max vertical leap and three-quarter court sprint that all rated inside the top 5 of draft-eligible players at his position.
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Post#34 » by R3AL1TY » Fri May 17, 2019 4:01 pm

Shootdabull wrote:I think we go international with Luka Samanic. In the scrimmage portion of Thursday's combine scored 13 points in under 20 minutes played. He tested well too, with a shuttle run, max vertical leap and three-quarter court sprint that all rated inside the top 5 of draft-eligible players at his position.

Could make up for them missing out on the other Luka :nod:
JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,591

Post#35 » by JohnnyTapwater » Fri May 17, 2019 4:35 pm

What's keeping Fletcher McGee from being JJ Reddick in the league?
Fl_Flash
Starter
And1: 376

Post#36 » by Fl_Flash » Fri May 17, 2019 4:36 pm

Dylan Windler - 43% from 3 on high volume (7 shots per game).
Don't know how athletic he is, but the guy can flat-out shoot.
Bulls Fan 23
Pro Prospect
And1: 250

Post#37 » by Bulls Fan 23 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:38 pm

Fl_Flash wrote:Dylan Windler - 43% from 3 on high volume (7 shots per game).

He's exactly who you take in round 2. I like it
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#38 » by realEAST » Fri May 17, 2019 4:48 pm

Fl_Flash wrote:Dylan Windler - 43% from 3 on high volume (7 shots per game).

He is pretty good athletically, especially considering speed and lateral mobility, his combine tesing results were pretty impressive.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#39 » by sco » Fri May 17, 2019 5:45 pm

JohnnyTapwater wrote:What's keeping Fletcher McGee from being JJ Reddick in the league?

How did he test/measure out?
:clap:
dawhizz
Rookie
And1: 382

Post#40 » by dawhizz » Fri May 17, 2019 7:12 pm

TeamMan wrote:
bigworld2017 wrote:

With these bigs, there is always the question of whether or not they can keep up with the pace of today's NBA and not end up with foot problems.

Don't know if anyone has the answer. I'd think that one of the shoe companies would have found a solution, but we keep seeing it happen.

With that said, I think that Lauri, Zach and OPJ need a low-post-presence (LPO) to open up the court for their 3P shooting.
So, if the Bulls are not planning to bring back RoLo they should definitely try to get this guy.

Bol Bol is not a center in my opinion. Maybe after 3 years of putting on muscle he might be any answer, but not immediately.

Fall could give 10-15 minutes a game and have an immediate impact.

This is my pick as well. Boom/bust, but I feel like the alternative is drafting a wing who, best case scenario, is like 10-15% better than TLC/Seldon/Sampson.
"I'd go with Tyrus Thomas at small forward." - Sam Smith

Return to Chicago Bulls