Image ImageImage Image

Around the NBA 18/19 thread 4

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Re: Around the NBA 18/19 thread 4 

Post#441 » by JimmyJammer » Fri May 24, 2019 2:20 pm

drosestruts wrote:
drosestruts wrote:Time to play "Guess Who"

Player A:

23.8 ppg, 43.2% FG%, 36.2% 3P%, 49.3% eFG%, 4.1 RPG, 4.2 APG

Player B:

23.7 ppg, 46.7% FG%, 37.4% 3P%, 52% eFG%, 4.7 RPG, 4.5 APG

And the results:

Player A is recipient of some 3rd team All-NBA votes Donovan Mitchell

Player B is our very own Zach LaVine

Mitchell is often viewed as a cornerstone franchise player while Zach (while only being a year older) is often labeled as an empty stats guy who doesn't impact winning.

Maybe Zach's just been on bad teams? How do people think the Jazz would look if they had LaVine instead of Mitchell? All other players the same?

The difference is Player A wins and player B played for one the worst teams in the league last season. This is also why player B was not voted in for the all-star team as well. It does not sound too fair but this is how it has been. When you throw in + and - stats in, things get even a lot more complicated.
Steve Brule
Veteran
And1: 124

Post#442 » by Steve Brule » Fri May 24, 2019 2:26 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
Steve Brule wrote:Unrelated to everything going on here but I feel like you'd have to be **** high to give Kemba Walker a supermax

Or, you have to be a small market team with no history of acquiring big time talent and a big concern over fans not showing up to games.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

yes this too. I forgot about this. Ugh, what a depressing state of affairs that must be. Just impending mediocrity, when the alternative is an unmitigated dumpster fire. Poor Queen City.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,380

Post#443 » by drosestruts » Fri May 24, 2019 2:59 pm

JimmyJammer wrote:
drosestruts wrote:
drosestruts wrote:Time to play "Guess Who"

Player A:

23.8 ppg, 43.2% FG%, 36.2% 3P%, 49.3% eFG%, 4.1 RPG, 4.2 APG

Player B:

23.7 ppg, 46.7% FG%, 37.4% 3P%, 52% eFG%, 4.7 RPG, 4.5 APG

And the results:

Mitchell is often viewed as a cornerstone franchise player while Zach (while only being a year older) is often labeled as an empty stats guy who doesn't impact winning.

Maybe Zach's just been on bad teams? How do people think the Jazz would look if they had LaVine instead of Mitchell? All other players the same?

The difference is Player A wins and player B played for one the worst teams in the league last season. This is also why player B was not voted in for the all-star team as well. It does not sound too fair but this is how it has been. When you throw in + and - stats in, things get even a lot more complicated.

But does Team A win because of player A or because of their all-defense center, better roster and better coach? That's why I think it's interesting to think about how Utah would look if the only thing you switched was Mitchell for LaVine?

LaVine's 5-man lineup with the most minutes last season was Archi-Zach-Holiday-Parker-Carter

Compare that to Mitchell who's most minutes lineup was Rubio-Mitchell-Ingles-Favors-Gobert
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#444 » by Mech Engineer » Fri May 24, 2019 3:15 pm

drosestruts wrote:
JimmyJammer wrote:
drosestruts wrote:

And the results:

But does Team A win because of player A or because of their all-defense center, better roster and better coach? That's why I think it's interesting to think about how Utah would look if the only thing you switched was Mitchell for LaVine?

LaVine's 5-man lineup with the most minutes last season was Archi-Zach-Holiday-Parker-Carter

Compare that to Mitchell who's most minutes lineup was Rubio-Mitchell-Ingles-Favors-Gobert

Utah might have a more talented roster around Mitchell but you still cannot compare like this without context. 99% of the opposition haven't taken the Bulls as a team to game plan like a playoff opponent for the last few years. The Bulls haven't played a meaningful game for a few years.

Lavine is talented but is also an unknown in how he will do on a 5th seed, 50 win team. He also has been in the league for 4(5) years leaving out his injury year. He has to get this team to a 38 to 40 win team as a top 2 option first and then take the next step. Without similar context, we are guessing on some random stats.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#445 » by Ccwatercraft » Fri May 24, 2019 3:27 pm

Mech Engineer wrote:
drosestruts wrote:
JimmyJammer wrote:

Utah might have a more talented roster around Mitchell but you still cannot compare like this without context. 99% of the opposition haven't taken the Bulls as a team to game plan like a playoff opponent for the last few years. The Bulls haven't played a meaningful game for a few years.

Lavine is talented but is also an unknown in how he will do on a 5th seed, 50 win team. He also has been in the league for 4(5) years leaving out his injury year. He has to get this team to a 38 to 40 win team as a top 2 option first and then take the next step. Without similar context, we are guessing on some random stats.

i'm not convinced that Zach has been given the opportunity and supporting cast to get to a 40 win team, pull zach and replace him with mitchell on our roster last two seasons, and we still suck, at least thats my opinion.
Mech Engineer
RealGM

Post#446 » by Mech Engineer » Fri May 24, 2019 3:36 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:
Mech Engineer wrote:
drosestruts wrote:

i'm not convinced that Zach has been given the opportunity and supporting cast to get to a 40 win team, pull zach and replace him with mitchell on our roster last two seasons, and we still suck, at least thats my opinion.

I agree he has not been given a good cast around him. But, he will get some vets this summer and also Porter. He still did have some vets like Robin, Porter, Holiday etc.. The bottom line is Lavine's stats until now especially the last few years are just NBA stats like Ron Mercer's stats in the early 2000s....worthless.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,592

Post#447 » by Ice Man » Fri May 24, 2019 3:52 pm

Mitchell isn't better than Zach. But in fairness, Mitchell was never a bad NBA player whereas Zach was, until recently. So it is natural than Mitchell has a better reputation. That will change next season.
bigworld2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

Post#448 » by bigworld2017 » Fri May 24, 2019 4:04 pm

Lavine's contract will be viewed as a complete steal for The Bulls based on the production I expect to see next season. Especially if he has a back court running mate other than Dunn. Brogdon would be perfect if we can get him. Lavine is a workout junkie. He's always looking to improve himself physically and as a player. When he's on he can make it look ridiculously easy to score in the NBA. He makes it look effortless. He's still getting better. He hasn't peaked yet. And we might not be able to afford him after this contract runs out.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#449 » by Red Larrivee » Fri May 24, 2019 4:11 pm

Steve Brule wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:
Steve Brule wrote:Unrelated to everything going on here but I feel like you'd have to be **** high to give Kemba Walker a supermax

Or, you have to be a small market team with no history of acquiring big time talent and a big concern over fans not showing up to games.

yes this too. I forgot about this. Ugh, what a depressing state of affairs that must be. Just impending mediocrity, when the alternative is an unmitigated dumpster fire. Poor Queen City.

Yeah, it's awful. You really don't win either way.

I really wouldn't be shocked if Jordan offers him the deal. Kemba is the best Hornet ever and I think he'd rather take a chance that he can somehow retool instead of watching a long rebuild in an empty (and newly renovated) arena. Plus, Mitch's strength isn't doing complete rebuilds.

Steve Brule
Veteran
And1: 124

Post#450 » by Steve Brule » Fri May 24, 2019 4:18 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
Steve Brule wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

I really wouldn't be shocked if Jordan offers him the deal. Kemba is the best Hornet ever and I think he'd rather take a chance that he can somehow retool instead of watching a long rebuild in an empty (and newly renovated) arena. Plus, Mitch's strength isn't doing complete rebuilds.

I really hope Steph ends his career in Charlotte. That city adores the Curry's. And they're great basketball fans. They deserve it.
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#451 » by JimmyJammer » Fri May 24, 2019 4:18 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
Steve Brule wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

Best Hornet ever? HOF Alonzo Mourning once played for that franchise, you know. Larry Johnson once played there, too. Kemba is probably the best scorer in the history of the franchise, but we are in a different Era of basketball now, making it hard to even know.
Mech Engineer
RealGM

Post#452 » by Mech Engineer » Fri May 24, 2019 4:23 pm

bigworld2017 wrote:Lavine's contract will be viewed as a complete steal for The Bulls based on the production I expect to see next season. Especially if he has a back court running mate other than Dunn. Brogdon would be perfect if we can get him. Lavine is a workout junkie. He's always looking to improve himself physically and as a player. When he's on he can make it look ridiculously easy to score in the NBA. He makes it look effortless. He's still getting better. He hasn't peaked yet. And we might not be able to afford him after this contract runs out.

Lavine looked promising(not like a rookie draft pick) as a winning NBA player with some flashes for a small period of time. But, let's not go overboard and say he is a steal. First, the most important thing for an NBA player is to be on the court. That's the #1 skill. He has been hurt/injured and so has been Lauri. Hopefully, some of it was the Bulls FO deliberately doing this to lose games.

But, until he is scoring on a winning team(a playoff bound team), he has not taken the 1st or 2nd step. Then, he has to contribute at the same rate on a playoff team which wins games. Then, there is a level where he needs to contribute on a deep playoff team etc..

There is a long, long way to go...

I really get amazed at people getting fooled by things like workout junkie. Most NBA players workout and those who don't stand out. Lavine's BBIQ hasn't increased leaps and bounds yet. He struggles with decision making which is as critical as health. He is a secondary ball handler at best not the primary initiator. If the Bulls cannot afford him after his contract runs out, they are in a great position. That means, they have other high level talents/players who are better than Lavine and they can let go of him. It is like proclaiming a draft pick as the next superstar. Even Zion who looks ridiculous is far from a guarantee that he will be an elite level player on a contending team.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#453 » by Red Larrivee » Fri May 24, 2019 4:26 pm

JimmyJammer wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:
Steve Brule wrote:

Best Hornet ever? HOF Alonzo Mourning once played for that franchise, you know. Larry Johnson once played there, too. Kemba is probably the best scorer in the history of the franchise, but we are in a different Era of basketball now, making it hard to even know.

Zo played 3 seasons and demanded a trade. LJ was good, but Kemba has been great longer than any player in team history. He's loved big time here.

RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#454 » by RedBulls23 » Fri May 24, 2019 5:06 pm

JimmyJammer wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:
Steve Brule wrote:

Mourning played for the Pelicans who use to be the Hornets.

The current Hornets use to be the Bobcats.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
ChicagoStrong
General Manager
And1: 2,346

Post#455 » by ChicagoStrong » Fri May 24, 2019 5:40 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:
JimmyJammer wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

Mourning played for the Pelicans who use to be the Hornets.

The current Hornets use to be the Bobcats.

The Pelicans are technically a new franchise that started in 2002. They gave the Bobcats all of the team’s history. It’s a Browns-Ravens situation
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,263

Post#456 » by kodo » Fri May 24, 2019 6:05 pm

Mech Engineer wrote:
bigworld2017 wrote:Lavine's contract will be viewed as a complete steal for The Bulls based on the production I expect to see next season. Especially if he has a back court running mate other than Dunn. Brogdon would be perfect if we can get him. Lavine is a workout junkie. He's always looking to improve himself physically and as a player. When he's on he can make it look ridiculously easy to score in the NBA. He makes it look effortless. He's still getting better. He hasn't peaked yet. And we might not be able to afford him after this contract runs out.

Lavine looked promising(not like a rookie draft pick) as a winning NBA player with some flashes for a small period of time. But, let's not go overboard and say he is a steal. First, the most important thing for an NBA player is to be on the court. That's the #1 skill. He has been hurt/injured and so has been Lauri. Hopefully, some of it was the Bulls FO deliberately doing this to lose games.

But, until he is scoring on a winning team(a playoff bound team), he has not taken the 1st or 2nd step. Then, he has to contribute at the same rate on a playoff team which wins games. Then, there is a level where he needs to contribute on a deep playoff team etc..

Not sure how to define steal but his contract is very high value.

I grabbed all non-rookie contracts in the neighborhood of Lavine's production (21-24 ppg, 4+ apg 4+ rpg) and averaged their contracts. Westbrook qualified but I threw him out because much of his value is his 10 rpg / 10 apg which nobody else has anything close to. The list ended up being Lavine, Holiday, Derozan, Kyrie, Blake.

The average value of their contracts was $26.4M. Lavine at $19.5M is only 73% of that average. Kyrie was also close at only $20M.

Lavine's contract value will also only likely grow even if Lavine never improves, because he's young and Lavine never gets any raises.

In 2022 Lavine will be 26 and making $19.5M.
In 2022 Jrue will be 31 and making $27M.
In 2021 Derozan will be 31 and making $28M.

Everyone on that list except Derozan has had injury issues, so it mostly equals out. Kyrie, Holiday, Blake are high injury risks and still got those contracts.
Benedict Miller
General Manager
And1: 2,074

Post#457 » by Benedict Miller » Fri May 24, 2019 7:20 pm

I wonder if the Bucks are blaming this loss on Drake too. Eric Bledsoe is playing terrible basketball 15% from 3, with Mirotic who's shooting 19%
Mech Engineer
RealGM

Post#458 » by Mech Engineer » Fri May 24, 2019 7:50 pm

Benedict Miller wrote:I wonder if the Bucks are blaming this loss on Drake too. Eric Bledsoe is playing terrible basketball 15% from 3, with Mirotic who's shooting 19%

They are losing out because they are inexperienced and some of them are choking. They could have used Pau to get some easy buckets. Nobody else has been this deep into the playoffs. Meanwhile, in Toronto, they have failed so much that they don't need to panic.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#459 » by dice » Fri May 24, 2019 8:55 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
dice wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:Remember when Butler was better than Paul George? That didn't last long.

it arguably lasted from PGs injury through last season (4 years)

I would have taken George over Butler last season too.

last year OKC substituted an ordinary oladipo for PG and won one more game. one

last year minny added jimmy and taj and won SIXTEEN more games. and it would have been more like 20 had jimmy not gotten injured

jimmy did everything for the wolves last year
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#460 » by dice » Fri May 24, 2019 9:02 pm

kodo wrote:
Mech Engineer wrote:

Not sure how to define steal but his contract is very high value.

I define it as contribution to winning vs salary. as everybody should. and lavine only became an AVERAGE nba player by that measure in 2019. average players don't make $20 mil. average STARTERS don't make 20 mil. last year it was lavine stealing money
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged

Return to Chicago Bulls