Image ImageImage Image

MLE candidates for us

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Re: MLE candidates for us 

Post#41 » by TheStig » Sun May 19, 2019 4:12 am

dice wrote:
TheStig wrote:My ideal situation here is that we trade #7, next years top 5 protected 1st for #2 and Parsons. We draft Ja. Then we sign Beverly for the MLE.

make the 2020 pick unprotected and they still wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. they don't care about the last year of the parsons contract because they're very unlikely to be a contender next year

Memphis is not a team swimming in profits and they have 100 million payroll with a bad team. Dropping 25 million and getting to the salary floor could be the difference between profit and loss.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,519

Post#42 » by dice » Sun May 19, 2019 4:36 am

TheStig wrote:
dice wrote:
TheStig wrote:My ideal situation here is that we trade #7, next years top 5 protected 1st for #2 and Parsons. We draft Ja. Then we sign Beverly for the MLE.

make the 2020 pick unprotected and they still wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. they don't care about the last year of the parsons contract because they're very unlikely to be a contender next year

Memphis is not a team swimming in profits and they have 100 million payroll with a bad team. Dropping 25 million and getting to the salary floor could be the difference between profit and loss.

potential stars on rookie deals are also most coveted by small market teams. and beyond. your ADs, zions, CP3s, durants, hardens and westbrooks are much more common than FA acquisitions like paul george (who re-signed due to an already established homegrown star)
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
TheStig
RealGM

Post#43 » by TheStig » Sun May 19, 2019 1:48 pm

dice wrote:
TheStig wrote:
dice wrote:make the 2020 pick unprotected and they still wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. they don't care about the last year of the parsons contract because they're very unlikely to be a contender next year

potential stars on rookie deals are also most coveted by small market teams. and beyond. your ADs, zions, CP3s, durants, hardens and westbrooks are much more common than FA acquisitions like paul george (who re-signed due to an already established homegrown star)

You do remember this is the #2 and not #1? They're not getting Zion?

I can see them overvaluing Ja but he's clearly not in the same tier as guys you mentioned. That being said, it's a little market that is not very good. I think there is a decent chance the money and future pick help out. We also don't know how they feel about the prospects at #7. Maybe they like someone down there.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,212

Post#44 » by Red8911 » Sun May 19, 2019 2:20 pm

League Circles wrote:I actually expect Beverly to get more than Rose. Just more reliable, top notch D and can shoot a bit.

Yeah we all love D Rose and would welcome him back but honestly it wouldn’t make much sense basketball wise. There’s so many other PGs that should be targets before him. Beverley is an obvious one, even an older Rondo would be more beneficial for the team. Lauri/ Carter would love to have a pass first guard like Rondo for easy buckets. D Rose is still a decent scorer but he isn’t a great facilitator or passer and he will most certainly miss a lot of games. Again wouldn’t mind him back for obvious reasons but if Pax is serious about playoffs maybe he should just go another way.
dice
RealGM

Post#45 » by dice » Mon May 20, 2019 3:43 am

TheStig wrote:
dice wrote:
TheStig wrote:Memphis is not a team swimming in profits and they have 100 million payroll with a bad team. Dropping 25 million and getting to the salary floor could be the difference between profit and loss.

huh? where did i say they were getting zion?

I can see them overvaluing Ja but he's clearly not in the same tier as guys you mentioned.

we don't have any idea whether that's true. what IS clear is that morant is much more likely to become a star than the mediocre picks you're suggesting the grizzlies might take for him

That being said, it's a little market that is not very good. I think there is a decent chance the money and future pick help out.

there's a more decent chance that ja morant helps out. much more decent
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
TheStig
RealGM

Post#46 » by TheStig » Mon May 20, 2019 4:16 am

dice wrote:
TheStig wrote:
dice wrote:potential stars on rookie deals are also most coveted by small market teams. and beyond. your ADs, zions, CP3s, durants, hardens and westbrooks are much more common than FA acquisitions like paul george (who re-signed due to an already established homegrown star)

I can see them overvaluing Ja but he's clearly not in the same tier as guys you mentioned.

we don't have any idea whether that's true. what IS clear is that morant is much more likely to become a star than the mediocre picks you're suggesting the grizzlies might take for him

That being said, it's a little market that is not very good. I think there is a decent chance the money and future pick help out.

I agree with you. That's why I offered additional compensation.
dice
RealGM

Post#47 » by dice » Mon May 20, 2019 4:24 am

TheStig wrote:
dice wrote:
TheStig wrote:You do remember this is the #2 and not #1? They're not getting Zion?

except they don't care about a one time 25 mil savings. they have one of the wealthiest owners in the league and have spent more money than the BULLS since he took over in 2012. bulls ownership might actually want that contract on their books next season even less than the grizzlies do
TheStig
RealGM

Post#48 » by TheStig » Mon May 20, 2019 4:31 am

dice wrote:
TheStig wrote:
dice wrote:huh? where did i say they were getting zion?

except they don't care about a one time 25 mil savings. they have one of the wealthiest owners in the league and have spent more money than the BULLS since he took over in 2012. bulls ownership might actually want that contract on their books next season even less than the grizzlies do

The Grizzles are a small market that will likely lose money next year and their owner is on the poorer side.

From a few years ago

15. Memphis Grizzlies
Robert J. Pera

Owner Since: 2012

The Numbers: The Grizzlies are worth $377 million, according to Forbes’ evaluation.

Young’n: At 35, Robert Pera is the youngest franchise owner in the NBA. Tayshaun Prince and Keyon Dooling—the Grizzlies’ oldest players—are only two years younger than Pera.

How He Got Rich: Pera worked as an engineer at Apple before starting his own company, Ubiquiti Networks. The company specializes in providing wireless networks to emerging and developing nations. He is worth a little under $2 billion and is one of the youngest billionaires in the world.
dice
RealGM

Post#49 » by dice » Mon May 20, 2019 4:39 pm

TheStig wrote:
dice wrote:
TheStig wrote:

The Grizzles are a small market that will likely lose money next year and their owner is on the poorer side.

From a few years ago

15. Memphis Grizzlies
Robert J. Pera

The Numbers: The Grizzlies are worth $377 million, according to Forbes’ evaluation.

Young’n: At 35, Robert Pera is the youngest franchise owner in the NBA. Tayshaun Prince and Keyon Dooling—the Grizzlies’ oldest players—are only two years younger than Pera.

How He Got Rich: Pera worked as an engineer at Apple before starting his own company, Ubiquiti Networks. The company specializes in providing wireless networks to emerging and developing nations. He is worth a little under $2 billion and is one of the youngest billionaires in the world.

he's up to 7 bil, which makes him one of the richest:

https://www.forbes.com/profile/robert-pera/#1caa638a35c7
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,253

Post#50 » by TheJordanRule » Tue May 21, 2019 8:12 pm

dice wrote:
TheStig wrote:
dice wrote:except they don't care about a one time 25 mil savings. they have one of the wealthiest owners in the league and have spent more money than the BULLS since he took over in 2012. bulls ownership might actually want that contract on their books next season even less than the grizzlies do

From a few years ago

15. Memphis Grizzlies
Robert J. Pera

It’s a shame because we need Ja pretty badly to avoid the predictable train wreck in free agency. Brogdon is not a 20 mil per season player— and who knows what we’ll be shelling out to a lesser talent like Rozier if the Bucks match our offer. Having the 3rd year in a row at #7 blows. We made the best of it with Lauri and Wendell but this year’s crop is particularly weak heading into Draft Night.
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#51 » by Proven_Winner » Tue May 21, 2019 8:30 pm

Red8911 wrote:
League Circles wrote:I actually expect Beverly to get more than Rose. Just more reliable, top notch D and can shoot a bit.

Yeah we all love D Rose and would welcome him back but honestly it wouldn’t make much sense basketball wise. There’s so many other PGs that should be targets before him. Beverley is an obvious one, even an older Rondo would be more beneficial for the team. Lauri/ Carter would love to have a pass first guard like Rondo for easy buckets. D Rose is still a decent scorer but he isn’t a great facilitator or passer and he will most certainly miss a lot of games. Again wouldn’t mind him back for obvious reasons but if Pax is serious about playoffs maybe he should just go another way.

Beverley definitely is worth more to us but rose is definitely better than rondo. He’s just too old now.
TheStig
RealGM

Post#52 » by TheStig » Tue May 21, 2019 9:52 pm

dice wrote:
TheStig wrote:
dice wrote:except they don't care about a one time 25 mil savings. they have one of the wealthiest owners in the league and have spent more money than the BULLS since he took over in 2012. bulls ownership might actually want that contract on their books next season even less than the grizzlies do

From a few years ago

15. Memphis Grizzlies
Robert J. Pera

They're still a small market that will lose money. If there FO recognizes someone they like at #7, that's a good offer. I doubt he wants to lose millions of dollars if he doesn't have to.
dice
RealGM

Post#53 » by dice » Tue May 21, 2019 11:10 pm

TheStig wrote:
dice wrote:
TheStig wrote:The Grizzles are a small market that will likely lose money next year and their owner is on the poorer side.

From a few years ago

They're still a small market that will lose money. If there FO recognizes someone they like at #7, that's a good offer. I doubt he wants to lose millions of dollars if he doesn't have to.

I would bet a large sum of money that the grizzlies do not trade the #2 pick. and you can be sure that they will be getting a boatload of offers which include relieving them of the parsons contract
TheStig
RealGM

Post#54 » by TheStig » Tue May 21, 2019 11:40 pm

dice wrote:
TheStig wrote:
dice wrote:he's up to 7 bil, which makes him one of the richest:

I would bet a large sum of money that the grizzlies do not trade the #2 pick. and you can be sure that they will be getting a boatload of offers which include relieving them of the parsons contract

Maybe they do. Maybe they don't. It's an idea I floated. Not a sourced rumor. Despite you're dsibelief, it's a fair deal.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#55 » by AKfanatic » Tue May 21, 2019 11:59 pm

TheStig wrote:
dice wrote:
TheStig wrote:

From a few years ago

15. Memphis Grizzlies
Robert J. Pera

Them being a small market team is all the more reason they won’t trade the 2nd pick, even with salary relief.

One of the best ways to improve your franchise’s value is to have stars. Morant has the potential to become a big star for the Grizz.

Beyond that, having two young cornerstones in JJJ and Ja on cost controlled contracts are a dream come true for a team like the Grizzlies. The only contract they’ll likely get out of will be Conley’s as they move him and go entirely into their youth movement.

The only chance at all the Grizzlies trade the 2 is if they view Morant as fools gold.
TheStig
RealGM

Post#56 » by TheStig » Wed May 22, 2019 12:29 am

AKfanatic wrote:
TheStig wrote:

From a few years ago

15. Memphis Grizzlies
Robert J. Pera

Them being a small market team is all the more reason they won’t trade the 2nd pick, even with salary relief.

One of the best ways to improve your franchise’s value is to have stars. Morant has the potential to become a big star for the Grizz.

Beyond that, having two young cornerstones in JJJ and Ja on cost controlled contracts are a dream come true for a team like the Grizzlies. The only contract they’ll likely get out of will be Conley’s as they move him and go entirely into their youth movement.

The only chance at all the Grizzlies trade the 2 is if they view Morant as fools gold.

We don't know how they view Morant. And it's not like they're trading out of the draft, this would be trading down for more assets.

Look at Atlanta last year. They could have drafted Luka. They decided to trade down and get Trae and #10 this year. It was a good move for both teams.

Maybe Memphis identifies someone at the 7 range they like and they can pick up another future pick and salary relief for trading down.
dice
RealGM

Post#57 » by dice » Wed May 22, 2019 5:02 am

TheStig wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:
TheStig wrote:The Grizzles are a small market that will likely lose money next year and their owner is on the poorer side.

From a few years ago

We don't know how they view Morant. And it's not like they're trading out of the draft, this would be trading down for more assets.

Look at Atlanta last year. They could have drafted Luka. They decided to trade down and get Trae and #10 this year. It was a good move for both teams.

Maybe Memphis identifies someone at the 7 range they like and they can pick up another future pick and salary relief for trading down.

luka is a significantly better player than trae, whose defense is THAT bad. it is highly unlikely that the #10 pick will close that gap in the long run. and given that neither team had a specific positional need or blocker, nor was/is either team a contender, it is not logically possible that both teams benefited. unless you're gonna make some dubious suggestion that luka would have been worse in atlanta or trey better in dallas

your argument that #7 for #2 and parsons is a fair one relies on assumptions regarding each asset, all of which are unlikely:

1) getting rid of parsons is a major consideration for the grizzlies
2) they are not high on morant
3) they see someone they really like at #7

if you proposed that trade on the grizzlies board, framing it as "is it possible given the financial considerations...", you'd still get flamed

i'll take it one further that such a trade won't happen - it will never be reported that memphis is even CONSIDERING such a trade. and again, many teams will make such proposals. they won't go anywhere
TheStig
RealGM

Post#58 » by TheStig » Wed May 22, 2019 5:06 am

dice wrote:
TheStig wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:

luka is a significantly better player than trae, whose defense is THAT bad. it is highly unlikely that the #10 pick will close that gap in the long run. and given that neither team had a specific positional need or blocker, nor was/is either team a contender, it is not logically possible that both teams benefited. unless you're gonna make some dubious suggestion that luka would have been worse in atlanta or trey better in dallas

your argument that #7 for #2 and parsons is a fair one relies on assumptions regarding each asset, all of which are unlikely:

1) getting rid of parsons is a major consideration for the grizzlies
2) they are not high on morant
3) they see someone they really like at #7

if you proposed that trade on the grizzlies board, framing it as "is it possible given the financial considerations...", you'd still get flamed

i'll take it one further that such a trade won't happen - it will never be reported that memphis is even CONSIDERING such a trade. and again, many teams will make such proposals. they won't go anywhere

I don't think there is a huge difference between the 2. Trae closed the game after the all star break.

That actually wasn't my offer. It was #2 and Parsons for #7 and next years 1st top 5 protected. It wasn't just to dump parsons.

And of course fans would flame me for proposing a salary dump. I've been flaming GarPax for 15 years for all their salary dumps and it hasn't phased them. Why would it phase me? Fans don't care about the owners profit.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#59 » by sco » Sat May 25, 2019 11:39 pm

I'm betting the knicks let both Mudiay and Trier go to give them 2 full MAX slots. I'd consider those guys. Mudiay, especially if we draft a PG and dump Dunn. He'd be an ideal back-up.
:clap:

Return to Chicago Bulls