Image ImageImage Image

2019 Draft Thread Volume #6 - Post Lottery

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

2019 Draft Thread Volume #6 - Post Lottery 

Post#161 » by StunnerKO » Sun May 19, 2019 7:39 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
StunnerKO wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:So can anyone explain to me how Jarrett Culver is not just Evan Turner?

He’s more Jimmy than Turner . Evan is a dumb offensive player , that’s not Jarrett

Nope. Jimmy is a far better athlete.

Still doesn’t rule out that type of player he could become lol they just sat in here at the combine show and said he played like derozan whose a plus athlete as well. Culver isn’t a great athlete but he’s still a decent one and uses what he has to get around on the court. Interested to see his drill numbers if he ever does it . Even Draft Express has an article saying they questioned if Jimmy could keep up with the elite wings defensively

His athleticism won't allow him to create consistently one-on-one at the next level, but he's a functional ball-handler who can take what defenders give him. If he develops the ability to stretch the floor, there's no question that he'll be a nice addition to a team with a bench full of athletic scorers. Butler may struggle with the athleticism of elite wings at the NBA level, but much like Lazar Hayward and Wesley Matthews before him, he's well versed in compensating for his limitations and takes pride in his play defensively.
- Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/All-Portsmouth-Invitational-Tournament-First-Team-3674/ DraftExpress
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,713

Re: 2019 Draft Thread Volume #6 - Post Lottery 

Post#162 » by Ctownbulls » Sun May 19, 2019 7:40 pm

Feel like everyone is looking for a reason to not want White. Whether it be hyping up the other prospects or questioning him...

White is the guy and we may have gotten lucky that he may be the only option at 7.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Post#163 » by StunnerKO » Sun May 19, 2019 7:47 pm

Ctownbulls wrote:Feel like everyone is looking for a reason to not want White. Whether it be hyping up the other prospects or questioning him...

White is the guy and we may have gotten lucky that he may be the only option at 7.

I’ve come around on him prob due to we don’t have much of a choice
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,289

Post#164 » by Kurt Heimlich » Sun May 19, 2019 7:57 pm

Ctownbulls wrote:Feel like everyone is looking for a reason to not want White. Whether it be hyping up the other prospects or questioning him...

For me it's not a question of looking for reasons not to want him. When considering any player there are a couple basic thought processes - 1) We don't know who exactly will be available #7 so we must discuss multiple options and 2) when discussing a player who is an obvious NEED fit, you should question whether you like him because he seems to fill a need, or because you think he's the BPA who also happens to fill a need.

But that's what makes this discussion good. If you like White, feel free to add what you like about him. We all know he's PG'ish and commonly mocked in the Bulls range. But discussing how you project a guy based on what you think he can do is the more interesting conversation.
cjbulls
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#165 » by cjbulls » Sun May 19, 2019 8:04 pm

The more I see of White, the more impressive he becomes. He's already a great scorer with the potential to be very good lead guard. There is no real gap between him and Garland when you look at the total package of skills. I think they are on the same tier and it comes down to personal preference between the two.
cjbulls
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#166 » by cjbulls » Sun May 19, 2019 8:14 pm

Kurt Heimlich wrote:

For me it's not a question of looking for reasons not to want him. When considering any player there are a couple basic thought processes - 1) We don't know who exactly will be available #7 so we must discuss multiple options and 2) when discussing a player who is an obvious NEED fit, you should question whether you like him because he seems to fill a need, or because you think he's the BPA who also happens to fill a need.

But that's what makes this discussion good. If you like White, feel free to add what you like about him. We all know he's PG'ish and commonly mocked in the Bulls range. But discussing how you project a guy based on what you think he can do is the more interesting conversation.

Good points Kurt. I know this has it's own thread, but the comparison between him and Garland is interesting. First off, they are pretty similar, so these differences need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Garland looks to be the better pure shooter (love his form on jumpers), but White seems better able to score from anywhere while still being a good shooter. Garland definitely has the better handle, but White is a better finisher. And while White has a lot of work to do to become a good PG, he embraced the role at UNC and made big strides leading a successful offense. Plus, his speed in the open court could make for a fun "running of the Bulls" team. Garland is still learning PG, and is essentially a year behind now, although he appear to possess more natural PG instincts. White has average defense and always looks to be playing with effort. He is also bigger than Garland who looks like he will be abused in switches or on bigger guards. They both supposedly have great character and work hard.

It's close enough that I don't think the Bulls should be trading anything of value to get one over the other.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#167 » by CoreyVillains » Sun May 19, 2019 8:50 pm

Here are my Bol Bol videos. Offense and defense in his game against Houston. My impressions are that for all his “skill” offensively he has no idea what he’s doing on the court. When he heads out to the perimeter he runs right near the ball and kills the spacing, he rarely makes contact on screens, and he’s real slow. He is too scrawny to really get consistent position down low and he is really slow and methodical when he does get the ball. Smooth shot but super slow release. He gives very little effort defensively and he gave up numerous offensive rebounds because of it. He is awful at closing out so the length he does have is nullified, guys just go right around him. I cringe at the thought of him trying to guard NBA level athletes anywhere on the court. He’s not my cup of tea, I wouldn’t even have him on my board if I was Atlanta.

Fl_Flash
Starter
And1: 376

Post#168 » by Fl_Flash » Sun May 19, 2019 8:51 pm

The more I'm reading about Doumbouya - the more I like this kid. Seems like he has a drive to improve, is coachable and has a thirst to improve his knowledge of the game.

THe tools are there. He's a rangy guy. I hesitate at throwing out the name Giannis. He's in that ballpark. I'm all for swinging for the fences with this pick and Doumbouya ticks all the boxes. Go big or go home Pax! We can get a serviceable PG in Free Agency. I'm sure it wouldn't take all that much to get Conelly from Memphis, especially if they pick Morant. Dunn, salary filler and a second should do it. Take more salary back than you're sending out. Is Chandler Parsons still on Memphis too? Take on his deal, flip the scales are leverage a protected first from them.

Whatever it takes. I'm firmly in the Doumbouya camp. Get er done!
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#169 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sun May 19, 2019 9:02 pm

Fl_Flash wrote:The more I'm reading about Doumbouya - the more I like this kid. Seems like he has a drive to improve, is coachable and has a thirst to improve his knowledge of the game.

THe tools are there. He's a rangy guy. I hesitate at throwing out the name Giannis. He's in that ballpark. I'm all for swinging for the fences with this pick and Doumbouya ticks all the boxes. Go big or go home Pax! We can get a serviceable PG in Free Agency. I'm sure it wouldn't take all that much to get Conelly from Memphis, especially if they pick Morant. Dunn, salary filler and a second should do it. Take more salary back than you're sending out. Is Chandler Parsons still on Memphis too? Take on his deal, flip the scales are leverage a protected first from them.

Not on the same planet in term of Giannis athleticism. If anything, he's very Luol Deng.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,448

Post#170 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sun May 19, 2019 9:07 pm

MeloRoseNoah wrote:
Fl_Flash wrote:The more I'm reading about Doumbouya - the more I like this kid. Seems like he has a drive to improve, is coachable and has a thirst to improve his knowledge of the game.

Not on the same planet in term of Giannis athleticism. If anything, he's very Luol Deng.

Is he even that long? Thought I read somewhere that his wingspan is around 6’10”. Which is ok. Far from special.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,289

Post#171 » by Kurt Heimlich » Sun May 19, 2019 9:09 pm

Yeah comp'ing Sekou to Giannis is very cringey....don't do it lol. This is akin to 2002 when Nikoloz Tskitishvili was "the next dirk" because he was the 7 foot lanky white guy prospect. Sekou isn't doomed to being that level bust. But comparing a prospect to the absolute peak NBA player is like nbadraft.net's infamous comp for Deshawn Stevenson.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#172 » by CoreyVillains » Sun May 19, 2019 9:25 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19&fbclid=IwAR1lXQpN0etNBEl2TXNCPzuTRPZgkj94clktAkPHfe-OeRaHHWGlmCab6Jo

Moves just like Melo and T. Harris. The upside is certainly there.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,621

Post#173 » by dougthonus » Sun May 19, 2019 10:40 pm

I read the ESPN article on him and didn't come away to impressed. He doesn't really seem to be an uber-athlete like Giannis, nor does he seem to have an amazing motor / work ethic. He has lots of holes in his game now, and unlike other Euros that translated well, he's not having all that much success in Europe now nor is he playing at the highest level.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,430

Post#174 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sun May 19, 2019 10:43 pm

White or Hunter.

That's where I'm at.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,204

Post#175 » by fleet » Sun May 19, 2019 10:47 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19&fbclid=IwAR1lXQpN0etNBEl2TXNCPzuTRPZgkj94clktAkPHfe-OeRaHHWGlmCab6Jo

Moves just like Melo and T. Harris. The upside is certainly there.

He does move like Melo on the court.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#176 » by TheFinishSniper » Sun May 19, 2019 10:54 pm

If he moves like Melo on defense I dont want him.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,755

Post#177 » by Jcool0 » Sun May 19, 2019 11:48 pm

MeloRoseNoah wrote:

He is more athletic then Deng.
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#178 » by MeloRoseNoah » Mon May 20, 2019 12:02 am

Jcool0 wrote:
MeloRoseNoah wrote:

No, he's not.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,755

Post#179 » by Jcool0 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:11 am

MeloRoseNoah wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
MeloRoseNoah wrote:

No, he's not.

Oh well if you say so....
Benedict Miller
General Manager
And1: 2,074

Post#180 » by Benedict Miller » Mon May 20, 2019 12:56 am

DuckIII wrote:1. Don’t draft White. Take a risk.

2. Unless that risk is Bol Bol.

3. Don’t trade the pick for a vet role player with a known ceiling.

I will be able to make my mind rationalize any other outcome.

Why not white? Take a risk on who? Little?

Return to Chicago Bulls