Image ImageImage Image

2019 Draft Thread Volume #6 - Post Lottery

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,516

Re: 2019 Draft Thread Volume #6 - Post Lottery 

Post#1941 » by panthermark » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:29 pm

SfBull wrote:But what you can do if owner,FO and Boylen will be around for a long time?I prefer to live with them looking for some improvement.The other option would be give up on the Bulls .

Threaten to not watch them, but watch them anyway...and complain on a message board year after year..... :lol:
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,340

Post#1942 » by Kurt Heimlich » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:31 pm

Chi town wrote:It seems like Bulls board at 7 is Garland, White, Culver, Hunter.

So most likely our offseason will be White, Beverley, and Taj.

So how many games does this team win?

Beverley, White, Dunn
Lavine, Val, Dunn
Otto, Val, Hutch
Lauri, Taj, Hutch
WCJ, Taj

I'd say 40.

We need the Cavs to take Hunter or Reddish at 5. That pushes 2 of Culver/Garland/White down to the 6/7 spots. Worst case scenario is Zion, Ja, RJ, Garland, Culver top 5. Then the Suns snagging White at 6 and leaving us to pick between, IMO, options 7a and 7b in Reddish and Hunter becomes a reality.
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,698

Post#1943 » by SfBull » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:31 pm

panthermark wrote:
SfBull wrote:
panthermark wrote:I get what you are saying.
In theory it makes sense to not lock yourself into a mediocre team.
But what I don't want to see (and what seems to be our fate) is that we "cost control" ourselves into a mediocre team with lesser FA's, whiff on the big FA's, and then talk about staying flexible for the 2024 plan. Rinse and repeat

If we are really talking 2 year deals only, we've basically removed ourselves from both the tier A and tier B FA's. Unless we do a massive overpay (a Jabari contract) on a tier B FA, why would anyone want to come to a 22 win team for 2 years instead of going someplace else and getting a 4 year deal?

Most posters here ( not me)believe that we have a young core in Zach, Lauri and WCJ with star ceiling so it's a reasonable strategy trying to give time for their development adding cheap vets for showing them how to win games.This strategy is coherent with extending Boylen and rounding him with good assistance.It seems that's the plan devised by the FO which is just keep rebuilding.For me it's reasonable as we aren't going to be contenders immediately.

I understand it...it just sounds very "Bulls-like"

2 years post blow-up, we win 22 games, and are already talking about trying to remain flexible for a free agent class another 2 years away. It sounds worse than it is (injuries, tanking), but given our track record of getting top tier FA's....the end goal sounds unrealistic.

When we picked up Otto, I was elated. That sped up the rebuild.
Pax said we are set at positions 2-5.
We have over $20M in cap space and a desperate need at PG (and depth).

I hope the goal isn't to add a lesser talent to a 22 win team and wait another two years to see if we can attract a top FA. I could actually live with that strategy if we strike out on Kemba (S&T), D-Lo, and Brogdon. But to take ourselves out of the equation already by only offering 2 year deals bugs me as it feels like we are going to skimp on upgrading the PG spot. It also means skimping on upgrades next year (1 year deals).

I would really like to watch again a team with some resemblance of dinasty years but do you believe in a realistic chance of it happen today?I don't, since 2000 expecting signings of stars like Duncan,TMac , James , ending with overpaid players like Boozer ( and having to root for them for some seasons).No,I'd really choose the 2 year strategy.
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#1944 » by SfBull » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:40 pm

Chi town wrote:It seems like Bulls board at 7 is Garland, White, Culver, Hunter.

So most likely our offseason will be White, Beverley, and Taj.

So how many games does this team win?

Beverley, White, Dunn
Lavine, Val, Dunn
Otto, Val, Hutch
Lauri, Taj, Hutch
WCJ, Taj

I'd say 40.

35-40 going for a first round exit, hopefully with other players in change for Dunn and Val.And maybe RoLo could return with a cheap 2 year contract .
cjbulls
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#1945 » by cjbulls » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:41 pm

Chi town wrote:KC's latest... https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bulls/ct-spt-bulls-mailbag-cam-reddish-lauri-markkanen-denzel-valentine-20190606-story.html

Bulls are still high on Val. KC believes Dunn can be a contributor perhaps from the bench. All he talks about is how the Bulls need a star which will be Lauri or Lavine.

Personally, I like the Lavine, Otto, Lauri trio with WCJ as the defensive anchor. We are a good playmaking PG away from being pretty good but we need a PG that will bring the best out of those 3.

Lots of great stuff here if you buy KC’s opinion as being influenced by the Org (I do):

-He specifically mentions Culver and Reddish as possibilities, but not Hunter. In fact, he specifically mention Reddish first, then Culver. I do not want this to be a re-hash of Reddish’s talent, but what is more interesting to me is that the Bulls would pass on their usual m.o. of higher floor, good citizen, battle tested rooks over potential higher ceiling prospects with issues.

-He lists Taj and Noah among the first names the Bulls might go after, but specifically calls out Niko to say they have moved on. I figured they’d have “moved on” from all 3. Happy to see at least one of those 2 could be back.

-KC is very dismissive of any big-ticket free agent spending. Says they will use the money on multiple role players (which jives with our internal report here earlier).

-For the people who do want to fight about Reddish, he says Reddish has the third most star potential behind Zion and Morant! Not even Barrett??? Maybe a mistake?
panthermark
RealGM

Post#1946 » by panthermark » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:42 pm

Question....what FA PG's do you think are willing to sign here for two years? (Maybe the contracts have a 3rd year team option or something?)
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#1947 » by SfBull » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:45 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
tedwilliams1999 wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Is there a reason you think a 33-35 win team is somehow in a better position then a 22 win team?

A 33-35 win team is a lot closer to a 42 win team than we currently are.

I'd definitely rather be a 35 win team than a 25 win team, especially with these new lottery odds.

That is debatable. You also didnt answer the question why a 33 win team can sign a A list FA but not a 22 win team. You just said its easier to win 42 wins after winning 33-35 games.

Do you see any of these FA star crop coming for the Bulls for returning home( James) or having business in Chicago ( James again,as said when he signed for the Lakers)?Ok ,maybe Butler but it seems unlikely .
NewEra21
Pro Prospect
And1: 414

Post#1948 » by NewEra21 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:45 pm

panthermark wrote:Question....what FA PG's do you think are willing to sign here for two years? (Maybe the contracts have a 3rd year team option or something?)

Beverly has made it as obvious as possible without actually coming out and directly saying it that he'd be willing to sign here.
cjbulls
Analyst

Post#1949 » by cjbulls » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:46 pm

Chi town wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Is there a reason you think a 33-35 win team is somehow in a better position then a 22 win team?

With Conley, they could be a 50 win team in two years. That’s if everyone develops as we hope. But then again, if they didn’t, they won’t be in a position to sign a max FA anyway and we’ll be on rebuild #7 or whatever

I'd agree with that.

1. Conley is the best fit of any gettable vet player for the PG spot. He makes us much better day one.

2. Conley is probably the best PG mentor of anyone in the league for a PG pick in the draft in Garland or White.

3. What would Conley cost? I bet he goes to Utah for their 1st. That's an overpay IMO. I'd love for the Bulls to get him by sending the Grizz back their 2nd round picks.

I do not see how you can pay less than a first round pick unless you’re giving a bad contract in return. Conley isn’t even overpaid, that’s just the cost of a borderline all-star veteran. The problem is the Bulls don’t have the right type of assets for this deal so they’d have to give the 7th pick. I personally would do it, but I know most disagree. Maybe you can call up Boston to get 14 20 and 22 for 7 and 38 then deal one of those Boston picks for him.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach

Post#1950 » by Kurt Heimlich » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:48 pm

cjbulls wrote:
Chi town wrote:KC's latest... https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bulls/ct-spt-bulls-mailbag-cam-reddish-lauri-markkanen-denzel-valentine-20190606-story.html

Bulls are still high on Val. KC believes Dunn can be a contributor perhaps from the bench. All he talks about is how the Bulls need a star which will be Lauri or Lavine.

Personally, I like the Lavine, Otto, Lauri trio with WCJ as the defensive anchor. We are a good playmaking PG away from being pretty good but we need a PG that will bring the best out of those 3.

Lots of great stuff here if you buy KC’s opinion as being influenced by the Org (I do):

-He specifically mentions Culver and Reddish as possibilities, but not Hunter. In fact, he specifically mention Reddish first, then Culver. I do not want this to be a re-hash of Reddish’s talent, but what is more interesting to me is that the Bulls would pass on their usual m.o. of higher floor, good citizen, battle tested rooks over potential higher ceiling prospects with issues.

-He lists Taj and Noah among the first names the Bulls might go after, but specifically calls out Niko to say they have moved on. I figured they’d have “moved on” from all 3. Happy to see at least one of those 2 could be back.

-KC is very dismissive of any big-ticket free agent spending. Says they will use the money on multiple role players (which jives with our internal report here earlier).

-For the people who do want to fight about Reddish, he says Reddish has the third most star potential behind Reddish and Morant! Not even Barrett??? Maybe a mistake?

I've never been big on Hunter so this is reassuring to hear. Cam's 3+D potential is just as good as Hunter's (I know I know the terrible shooting year). I forget his name but the younger dude on Sports Talk Live nailed it the other day. Cam's size, length, shot mechanics, athleticism and defensive production/projectabilty make him a higher floor guy than most everyone gives him credit for.
panthermark
RealGM

Post#1951 » by panthermark » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:49 pm

NewEra21 wrote:
panthermark wrote:Question....what FA PG's do you think are willing to sign here for two years? (Maybe the contracts have a 3rd year team option or something?)

Beverly has made it as obvious as possible without actually coming out and directly saying it that he'd be willing to sign here.

For two years?
NewEra21
Pro Prospect
And1: 414

Post#1952 » by NewEra21 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:53 pm

panthermark wrote:
NewEra21 wrote:

For two years?

If the money's right
panthermark
RealGM

Post#1953 » by panthermark » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:58 pm

NewEra21 wrote:
panthermark wrote:
NewEra21 wrote:Beverly has made it as obvious as possible without actually coming out and directly saying it that he'd be willing to sign here.

For two years?

If the money's right

I'm not sure what the right money would be.
$17.5M a year get him away from the Clippers?
I'm not sure what his long term plans (passing on a 4 year deal) are being that he turns 31 in July.
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#1954 » by SfBull » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:59 pm

There's an inconsistency in signing multiple players with your cap ( for likely 2 years ) and keep believing in Denzel growing into a 6th man just bcs his playing time would be reduced,same as hoping much from Dunn if signing Beverley and drafting Garland or White ,both moves most likely leaving Dunn and Denzel expendable.Unless
KC is voicing FO's being so high on the young core believing that gambling in Reddish with #7 ( even with points available) would be the right strategy.
panthermark
RealGM

Post#1955 » by panthermark » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:59 pm

Kurt Heimlich wrote:
cjbulls wrote:

-For the people who do want to fight about Reddish, he says Reddish has the third most star potential behind Reddish and Morant! Not even Barrett??? Maybe a mistake?

I've never been big on Hunter so this is reassuring to hear. Cam's 3+D potential is just as good as Hunter's (I know I know the terrible shooting year). I forget his name but the younger dude on Sports Talk Live nailed it the other day. Cam's size, length, shot mechanics, athleticism and defensive production/projectabilty make him a higher floor guy than most everyone gives him credit for.

He does not list Garland nor White...so who knows.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach

Post#1956 » by Kurt Heimlich » Thu Jun 6, 2019 7:02 pm

panthermark wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:
cjbulls wrote:

True - He could just guessing who will still be there at 7. I'll just go back to hoping they won't draft Hunter then. :lol:
cjbulls
Analyst

Post#1957 » by cjbulls » Thu Jun 6, 2019 7:05 pm

panthermark wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:
cjbulls wrote:

I am pretty sure KC is the one who broke the White and Garland have a promise in the top 6 story, so maybe that's outlining his opinion. I would add that as another interesting tidbit - that he seems to be doubling down on the promise stuff.
dawhizz
Rookie
And1: 382

Post#1958 » by dawhizz » Thu Jun 6, 2019 7:18 pm

There’s going to be so much PG movement this summer, at some point it’s going to be 2 am at the bar and these free agent PGs are gonna have to go home with somebody. That said, I could see Rubio, Beverley, and Collison all taking 2/3 w/ option deals. And while I’ve argued for him before, I’ll bring up TJ McConnell again, especially if they take someone like White at 7, because I think McConnell can be an effective starter for what we would need him to do for a price the .org would like until White is ready to take over, and then would make a nice backup going forward.
"I'd go with Tyrus Thomas at small forward." - Sam Smith
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,360

Post#1959 » by pipfan » Thu Jun 6, 2019 7:41 pm

I love the idea of Hunter. Kid is a winner
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#1960 » by johnnyvann840 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 7:41 pm

Why am I getting this terrible feeling that the Bulls are going to draft Cam Reddish.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson

Return to Chicago Bulls