Image ImageImage Image

2019 Draft Thread Volume #6 - Post Lottery

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Re: 2019 Draft Thread Volume #6 - Post Lottery 

Post#521 » by JimmyJammer » Fri May 24, 2019 4:55 am

BigUps wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'd draft him and let he, Lauri and Carter battle it out in order to decide who to keep. Denver did it with Jokic and Nurkic which turned out to be a very good strategy, despite Nurkic being pissed for a lack of opportunity while he was in Denver. Besides, Lauri has not proven that he can stay healthy for a full season yet. Additionally, he offers some leverage when it's time to negotiate a new contract with Lauri in two years.
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#522 » by bad knees » Fri May 24, 2019 5:04 am

JimmyJammer wrote:
BigUps wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'd draft him and let he, Lauri and Carter battle it out in order to decide who to keep. Denver did it with Jokic and Nurkic which turned out to be a very good strategy, despite Nurkic being pissed for a lack of opportunity while he was in Denver. Besides, Lauri has not proven that he can stay healthy for a full season yet. Additionally, he offers some leverage when it's time to negotiate a new contract with Lauri in two years.

Does he play defense? Can he defend guards and wings on the perimeter? Because if he can’t do that I am not interested.
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#523 » by bad knees » Fri May 24, 2019 5:07 am

JimmyJammer wrote:
BigUps wrote:
Read on Twitter

Can he defend the rim? Can he reasonably defend guards and wings on the perimeter? Because if he can’t, I don’t care how many lazy, flat footed, unguarded 3 pointers he can make.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,332

Post#524 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Fri May 24, 2019 5:08 am

Chi town wrote:
JimmyJammer wrote:
Chi town wrote:
So what's White's ceiling?

I've watched a lot of tape and I don't see anything special. All the lows have been well documented here.

Jamal Murray, Jamal Crawford, DeAron Fox, to name a few.

I wish. I’d draft him if I saw those ceilings. Murray is a much better shooter and is better creating his own showy. White doesn’t have wiggle and a handle like JC at all. Fox is the fastest player in the league with the ball in his hands. Coby is quick but not elite fast like Fox.

I see Coby White being a Eric Bledsoe. Not a bad player. Basically decent starter or plus bench piece.

I see Garland in the Fox category. That’s why I’d trade up for him in a heartbeat.

Bledsoe and Coby are not alike. If Coby had Bledsoe’s explosion/power he would be giving Ja Morant a run at 2.

I don’t think anyone on this board would have a problem drafting Coby if “Bledsoe-like” were his outcome.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#525 » by GimmeDat » Fri May 24, 2019 5:09 am

I'm not taking Goga, but I do think he's worth 7, he's legit.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM

Post#526 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Fri May 24, 2019 5:12 am

GimmeDat wrote:I'm not taking Goga, but I do think he's worth 7, he's legit.

If you believe in BPA you might have to.

But it could put us in a total pickle.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#527 » by GimmeDat » Fri May 24, 2019 5:17 am

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:

Well he's within he range, but I don't think he's obviously the best player enough for us to take him. Either way, we should be heavily looking in to trade down options, purely because there isn't a standout at 7 and I don't think a late lottery pick is much of a drop in value.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#528 » by DanTown8587 » Fri May 24, 2019 5:23 am

cjbulls wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:
cjbulls wrote:Yet he’s projected to go top 10 still. But you refuse to acknowledge that might mean something more is there.

Someone else just brought up a great point by accident: what are hunters numbers after his freshman season if he plays? What do you say then? Most players aren’t allowed to fail like Reddish did. But Coach K still had faith in him. More than Roy seemed to with Little.

These hypotheticals are worthless towards evaluation.

It's not just the fact that Reddish underwhelmed; it's the fact he had an all-time awful season for a player projected to be drafted in the Top 10. His intangibles look awful, which is a HUGE concern if you're trying to imagine NBA stardom. You can have all the tools you want, but if your intangibles are trash you're not doing anything: See Andrew Wiggins, Tyrus Thomas, Ben McLemore, countless others.

I fully acknowledge that Reddish will go in the lottery, but it doesn't dismiss any of the points being made in this thread. He's coming into the NBA with obvious red flags that could result in him being a bust. Does that mean he will be a bust? No, but it's extremely difficult to claim that he has superstar upside.

It’s easy to ignore the hypotheticals when they don’t suit your purpose. Hunter would have had abysmal stats with that type of usage at Duke as a freshman. Just keep that in mind before you dismiss Reddish.

You mean the same Hunter who at Virginia was sixth man of the year and all freshman ACC and had numbers of 30 points / 13 rebounds per 100 possessions with a PER of 23.5 and TS% of .584% on a usage of 25.7% compared to Reddish as a freshman having 25 points / 7 rebounds per 100 with a PER of 13.6 on a .499 TS% with a usage of 25.3%.

It’s easy to ignore facts and only create wild, unprovable hypothesis to try and make an argument but that doesn’t make you right.

I’m not a GM, but I don’t bank on the hope of bad players becoming good in the Pros. There are only a handful of players that were outright bad in college (post creation of one and done) and they were all bigs who either changed role or changed body.

The problem with Reddish is let’s say your scouting belief of Reddish having good skills is true; now I have to figure out why he was so atrociously bad if he really is this talented.

Reddish is all hype that exists on Instagram posts and message boards.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM

Post#529 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Fri May 24, 2019 5:25 am

GimmeDat wrote:
JohnnyKILLroy wrote:

Well he's within he range, but I don't think he's obviously the best player enough for us to take him. Either way, we should be heavily looking in to trade down options, purely because there isn't a standout at 7 and I don't think a late lottery pick is much of a drop in value.

We’ll see I guess.

If he’s BPA?????

Very curious to see how high he goes and how he does from here on out.

I’d rather Goga than Cam.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#530 » by GimmeDat » Fri May 24, 2019 5:26 am

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
JohnnyKILLroy wrote:

We’ll see I guess.

If he’s BPA?????

Very curious to see how high he goesand how he does from here on out.

I’d rather Goga than Cam.

Yeah I thnk Goga appeals to me, especially over Cam, because it feels like he has a pretty high baseline as a player. Elite production versus terrible production.
DanTown8587
RealGM

Post#531 » by DanTown8587 » Fri May 24, 2019 5:26 am

If you take Goga, you have to trade Wendell for #8 immediately.
DanTown8587
RealGM

Post#532 » by DanTown8587 » Fri May 24, 2019 5:29 am

“BPA” is only true if you’re getting a superstar. It’s hard to argue that Goga is BPA if Wendell is also a guy you like.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM

Post#533 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Fri May 24, 2019 5:37 am

DanTown8587 wrote:“BPA” is only true if you’re getting a superstar. It’s hard to argue that Goga is BPA if Wendell is also a guy you like.

I like them both - but what if the scenario is likely all-star vs serviceable starter?
cjbulls
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#534 » by cjbulls » Fri May 24, 2019 5:46 am

DanTown8587 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:
These hypotheticals are worthless towards evaluation.

It's not just the fact that Reddish underwhelmed; it's the fact he had an all-time awful season for a player projected to be drafted in the Top 10. His intangibles look awful, which is a HUGE concern if you're trying to imagine NBA stardom. You can have all the tools you want, but if your intangibles are trash you're not doing anything: See Andrew Wiggins, Tyrus Thomas, Ben McLemore, countless others.

I fully acknowledge that Reddish will go in the lottery, but it doesn't dismiss any of the points being made in this thread. He's coming into the NBA with obvious red flags that could result in him being a bust. Does that mean he will be a bust? No, but it's extremely difficult to claim that he has superstar upside.

It’s easy to ignore the hypotheticals when they don’t suit your purpose. Hunter would have had abysmal stats with that type of usage at Duke as a freshman. Just keep that in mind before you dismiss Reddish.

You mean the same Hunter who at Virginia was sixth man of the year and all freshman ACC and had numbers of 30 points / 13 rebounds per 100 possessions with a PER of 23.5 and TS% of .584% on a usage of 25.7% compared to Reddish as a freshman having 25 points / 7 rebounds per 100 with a PER of 13.6 on a .499 TS% with a usage of 25.3%.

It’s easy to ignore facts and only create wild, unprovable hypothesis to try and make an argument but that doesn’t make you right.

I’m not a GM, but I don’t bank on the hope of bad players becoming good in the Pros. There are only a handful of players that were outright bad in college (post creation of one and done) and they were all bigs who either changed role or changed body.

The problem with Reddish is let’s say your scouting belief of Reddish having good skills is true; now I have to figure out why he was so atrociously bad if he really is this talented.

Hunter redshirted. Virginia made him. Your “freshman” numbers are from his sophomore season. I wonder what Reddish would put up next year on Virginia. Would he be a sixth man?

The numbers need context. Just like Paul George who put up pedestrian numbers for a last place Fresno State mid-major. So to trash Reddish’s numbers without acknowledging his different situation isn’t reasonable.

They don’t excuse his terrible efficiency, but they say not many other players were put in that position for comparison. Put Reddish on Fresno State for two years and let’s see his numbers.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#535 » by GimmeDat » Fri May 24, 2019 5:48 am

DanTown8587 wrote:If you take Goga, you have to trade Wendell for #8 immediately.

Why is that? Wendell is worth way more than that. He's also the superior prospect of the 2.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#536 » by johnnyvann840 » Fri May 24, 2019 5:58 am

cjbulls wrote:
DanTown8587 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:

Hunter redshirted. Virginia made him. Your “freshman” numbers are from his sophomore season. I wonder what Reddish would put up next year on Virginia. Would he be a sixth man?

The numbers need context. Just like Paul George who put up pedestrian numbers for a last place Fresno State mid-major. So to trash Reddish’s numbers without acknowledging his different situation isn’t reasonable.

They don’t excuse his terrible efficiency, but they say not many other players were put in that position for comparison. Put Reddish on Fresno State for two years and let’s see his numbers.

Bro, Paul George had a .586 TS% his freshman year at Fresno State and he shot .470 from the field and .447 from 3 pt range. Reddish just had a season at Duke where he shot .356 FG's and .333 from 3 pt with a sub .500 TS%. Also Paul George was quick and explosive and had so much dog in him. Reddish plays like he's out in the park on a Sunday afternoon after drinking a 12 pack.

That is a terrible comp.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
cjbulls
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#537 » by cjbulls » Fri May 24, 2019 6:13 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
DanTown8587 wrote:

Bro, Paul George had a .586 TS% his freshman year at Fresno State and he shot .470 from the field and .447 from 3 pt range. Reddish just had a season at Duke where he shot .356 FG's and .333 from 3 pt with a sub .500 TS%. Also Paul George was quick and explosive and had so much dog in him. Reddish plays like he's out in the park on a Sunday afternoon after drinking a 12 pack.

That is a terrible comp.

That’s the whole point! College numbers aren’t very comparable. George played for a mid-major, a last place and below .500 mid major. The competition and role were very different. That’s why it’s dangerous to base an evaluation strictly on numbers
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#538 » by johnnyvann840 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:16 am

Yeah, PG was trying to carry a crap team and was swarmed by the opposing D if you watch any video from his college days. Reddish was on a team with two of the top five picks in the upcoming draft and had little defensive pressure on him as RJ and Zion got most of the attention. It's an even worse comparison when you look at that.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#539 » by MeloRoseNoah » Fri May 24, 2019 6:50 am

Lol the only thing that Reddish has proven is that he’s a straight bum who played like a sissy in college.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#540 » by PlayerUp » Fri May 24, 2019 7:03 am

Bulls won't be taking Goga at #7. They seem satisfied with what they have at #4 and #5 currently.

Carter would be going #3 or #4 in this draft.

Return to Chicago Bulls