Image ImageImage Image

WT:Bulls interested in Lonzo Ball

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Re: WT:Bulls interested in Lonzo Ball 

Post#281 » by RedBulls23 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:56 am

HomoSapien wrote:
nomorezorro wrote:damn lakers fans overrating a player on their team...hard to believe

in all seriousness, considering they should be in win-now mode, it doesn't really make sense for the lakers to trade lonzo straight up for a draft pick unless they've got another trade lined up.

also it is pretty funny to say that a point guard is a great fit for us outside of "shooting and offense in the half-court." very "other than that, how was the play, mrs. lincoln?"

It seems like the obvious play is to make this into a three-way trade with NOP if they decide to trade AD. Something like:

NOP Gets: 4 & 7
Bulls Get: Ball
Lakers Get: Davis

Obviously there'd need to be additional contracts to make this work financially, but as a framework that seems right if all parties are interested in those assets.

For me if Bulls are giving up the 7th, I'd want something else in return. Not sure what though.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#282 » by bearadonisdna » Tue May 21, 2019 6:57 am

1.Lavine
2.Ball

Seems like a terrible fit. Lavine at the 1 seems impractical but it seems more impractical putting the ball in the hands of a worse player
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#283 » by ZOMG » Tue May 21, 2019 9:04 am

I couldn't read the whole thread, I was starting to hyperventilate.

I'll just say this: if we bring in Lonzo Ball, I won't watch next season.

Can't shoot, too slow to beat anyone 1-on-1, fundamentals all f**ed up, constantly injured... and then there's his dad.

It's a nightmare.

I can't wait seeing teams sag off Lonzo from Day 1, allowing them to keep swarming Lauri. Back to square one.
BigJimFinn
Junior
And1: 347

Post#284 » by BigJimFinn » Tue May 21, 2019 10:10 am

Jimako10 wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:
wonderboy2 wrote:So the bucks have Middleton, Bledsoe, Lopez, Brogdon, Mirotic all as free agents. If I’m the bulls I’m talking to Brogdon as soon as free agency start and offering him a contract. Not sure how much money the bulls have to spend though.

Only reason why I thought Brogdon wasn't worth considering is that whatever deal we sign him to, the Bucks were likely to match either way, but I didn't realise how many of their players, especially starters were free agents also, which makes the prospect of signing him that much more interesting.

If they win the title for example, I'd imagine that they would do everything they can to resign as many of the players as possible. It's worth a try to see whether we can get Brogdon.

Just with playing around with the capulator, it seems that the Bucks have about 60-65 million to spend between Brogdon, MIddleton, Lopez and Mirotic (Bledsoe already signed a 4/70 deal in March). The problem for them is the 17 million allocated to Bledsoe/Ilyasova. If they sign MIddleton to a max and Brogdon to 4/100, then they don't have much room for Lopez and Mirotic. They could sign one of MIddleton/ Brogdon, and possibly be able to keep both Mirotic and Lopez, though I don't think they go that route.

The Bucks have full Bird rights on Middleton and Brogdon to go over the cap, so it's only about their willingness to pay luxury tax. And the next two years is the absolutely right time to do so, since this core is proving to be a serious contender. Still I think they will let Mirotic go and probably waive George Hill to save 17 mill next year, he could likely be resigned much cheaper.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#285 » by drosereturn » Tue May 21, 2019 11:29 am

SfBull wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:7 for Ball has to be the best deal out there. It's insane that we'd have to include more.

#7 for Ball is wasting the pick.

Depends on whose left on #7. If Hunter is left, agree its valuable.
But if every major prospect is gone and guys like White, Reddish are left, drafting those guys are waste of cap space.
Rather have Ball than White even though the latter is more cost controlled. Ball is still only 21 and an unfinished product.
He can improve his shooting somewhere close to college levels in the NBA (60% FT, 35% 3s)
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,079

Post#286 » by MrSparkle » Tue May 21, 2019 11:55 am

Ball would be a good S. Livingston type. Bring him in on a MLE type of deal once he (and his dad) realizes he’s nowhere near all-star/max money.

I don’t want to be the team holding his RFA rights. If he atleast stayed healthy, he’d be more intriguing. But shooting/scoring liabilities plus high injury rates?

Uhm... I hope we’re getting him for Dunn and filler.
Onibuh
Senior
And1: 217

Post#287 » by Onibuh » Tue May 21, 2019 12:38 pm

Ball > #7
Dunn would be redundant and has to be included. If it works, fine. If not we finally get the changes needed within the org.
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,512

Post#288 » by panthermark » Tue May 21, 2019 12:49 pm

Showtime23 wrote:
SfBull wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:7 for Ball has to be the best deal out there. It's insane that we'd have to include more.

#7 for Ball is wasting the pick.

But if every major prospect is gone and guys like White, Reddish are left, drafting those guys are waste of cap space.
Rather have Ball than White even though the latter is more cost controlled. Ball is still only 21 and an unfinished product.
He can improve his shooting somewhere close to college levels in the NBA (60% FT, 35% 3s)

Not that I'm a huge fan of either (especially Reddish)....but how is Ball an unfinished product compared to White and Reddish?
Ball is 21, Cam and Reddish are 19.
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
Fl_Flash
Starter
And1: 376

Post#289 » by Fl_Flash » Tue May 21, 2019 2:08 pm

dice wrote:tie knee sample size

he shot 3 per game in college and made 67%. kinda hard to develop a rhythm when you're not getting there. I also didn't mention that he's missed a lot of games each year. he simply hasn't taken many FTs in the nba at all. now, that's obviously a result of lack of aggression, possibly due to not wanting to go to the foul line, so that's a problem

his TS% went from 44.4 to 48.7 in his second year. another jump and he's at least no longer a scoring liability

I tried not to respond to this, but I simply have to...

Lonzo shot 67% from the line in college. Not exactly a great percentage - especially for a back court player. Then he shoots less than 50% in the pros (supposedly a tie knee sample size). Looks like he's trending downwards.

What do we have next... Ah, developing a rhythm as a free throw shooter.
Let's unpack this one.
There are around 450 players in the NBA. Every single one of them has the same opportunity to "get in a free-throw rhythm". For the vast majority of these 450 players, they have the ability to at least make half their free throw attempts. Lonzo can't. I guess the pregame warmups and playing 30 mins per game aren't sufficient for him to "warm up"?
I think that Lonzo should get at least 3 or 4 practice free-throws before he actually shoots them for real. That way he has the chance to warm up. We need to start a petition to Adam Silver ASAP! #BallsForLonzo

This begs another question - are free-throws harder in the NBA than in college? I mean, he's missed a lot of games (well come back to this gem) and so that stands to reason that he misses a lot of free throws. You cite that he hasn't taken many free-throws in the NBA. I was unaware that free-throws were THAT MUCH more difficult to convert in the NBA as opposed to college. Glad that one's been cleared up.

What's next... Oh! True Shooting Percentages. Fun!
He's gone from 44.4% (abysmal) to 48.7% (really bad). He's trending upwards though. In a couple more years, he may hit average. If he can hang in the league for 10 - 15 years, he should eclipse the 75th percentile! Yea Lonzo!

I am a bit bewildered on the whole trend thing. He's trending down in free-throw percentage, but I believe I'm supposed to ignore that - seeing as making a free-throw is so much more difficult in the pros. He's trending up in true shooting percentage, so that one I should pay attention to. This number stuff is so confusing. Which ones can I hang my hat on and which ones should I ignore?

What else.... What else... Oh yea! He's hurt a lot.
In a 164 possible games, he's played in 99 of them. That's GOT to affect your ability to shoot free-throws. When do you have time to practice? How's he supposed to get in a rhythm?

So, crappy free-throw shooter, crappy true shooting percentages and crappy health... I'm trying to wrap my mind around this one... I'm holding a piece of white bread to my forehead and I actually made toast - I'm thinking so hard on this one. I need some butter and jam - BRB.
REVELATION! The toast was really good! Oh, and I see it now. Crap free-throw, shooting and health = AWESOME LONZO!
You gotta give to get. You gotta starve to feel full. You gotta die to live. You gotta suck to be awesome.
The tumblers have aligned. All is right with the world. Are those birds singing?
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,358

Post#290 » by HoopsterJones » Tue May 21, 2019 2:15 pm

ZOMG wrote:I couldn't read the whole thread, I was starting to hyperventilate.

Can't shoot, too slow to beat anyone 1-on-1, fundamentals all f**ed up, constantly injured... and then there's his dad.

It's a nightmare.

I can't wait seeing teams sag off Lonzo from Day 1, allowing them to keep swarming Lauri. Back to square one.

I completely agree. And I won’t watch Bulls games either. I’d watch Zion play though and see if he’s the next NBA Jesus.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,064

Post#291 » by NecessaryEvil » Tue May 21, 2019 2:21 pm

ZOMG wrote:I couldn't read the whole thread, I was starting to hyperventilate.

It's a nightmare.

Agreed. I'm not sure what the hell's going on here
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,253

Post#292 » by TheJordanRule » Tue May 21, 2019 2:44 pm

Monte Morris is a better option than any of these high bust rate moves. If the choice is between grabbing an underwhelming PG in the draft, trading for a PG who's never gonna be able to shoot, or actually getting a guy who is a proven and productive PG in the NBA for pennies on the dollar, I'm picking the third option. The worst you can say about Morris is that he utterly crashed and burned in the playoffs, which is completely true... but neither Ball nor the lotto picks have even a single minute of crucial playoff experience. At least Morris has been given his first chance to acclimate to the next level gear of the playoffs, and he will know what to work on in anticipation of his next playoff battle. I've heard people say Morris is just another Dunn or Archie, but Morris posted a PER of 16.2 over an 82 game sample size, while Dunn's PER was at 12.4 and Archie's PER was at 11.6 over roughly the same sample size. Morris out classes both of the bench warmers on our roster and it's not even close. An added bonus is the fact that Morris' play style fits with Zack, Lauri, and Otto. Everyone complains about how Dunn is ball dominant and a weak shooter from distance. Enter Morris, a sweet shooter from the perimeter who isn't a ball hog. All of you guys who say, "We'll just get a Monte Morris type with our MLE" need to tell me what a comparable option would be. There is none.
jStuNNa
Head Coach
And1: 548

Post#293 » by jStuNNa » Tue May 21, 2019 3:03 pm

Has this been posted yet? Some good analysis.

dice
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#294 » by dice » Tue May 21, 2019 8:49 pm

Fl_Flash wrote:
dice wrote:tie knee sample size

he shot 3 per game in college and made 67%. kinda hard to develop a rhythm when you're not getting there. I also didn't mention that he's missed a lot of games each year. he simply hasn't taken many FTs in the nba at all. now, that's obviously a result of lack of aggression, possibly due to not wanting to go to the foul line, so that's a problem

his TS% went from 44.4 to 48.7 in his second year. another jump and he's at least no longer a scoring liability

I tried not to respond to this, but I simply have to...

Lonzo shot 67% from the line in college. Not exactly a great percentage - especially for a back court player. Then he shoots less than 50% in the pros (supposedly a tie knee sample size). Looks like he's trending downwards.

did i argue otherwise? he's clearly declined as a pro. i'm merely saying that he's not the lost cause that people seem to be making him out to be

What do we have next... Ah, developing a rhythm as a free throw shooter.
Let's unpack this one.

nothing to unpack. very, very straightforward. when you rarely get to the line, you can't work out kinks that are obviously related to performance anxiety

There are around 450 players in the NBA. Every single one of them has the same opportunity to "get in a free-throw rhythm". For the vast majority of these 450 players, they have the ability to at least make half their free throw attempts. Lonzo can't.

again, this is about working one's self out of a funk. the only comparison that can be made is to others in a FT shooting funk. if you'd like to track down examples of players working themselves out of a funk while rarely getting to the line, feel free. i'm sure they're out there

This begs another question - are free-throws harder in the NBA than in college? I mean, he's missed a lot of games (well come back to this gem) and so that stands to reason that he misses a lot of free throws. You cite that he hasn't taken many free-throws in the NBA. I was unaware that free-throws were THAT MUCH more difficult to convert in the NBA as opposed to college. Glad that one's been cleared up.

wtf are you talking about?

nobody said FTs are any more or less difficult in college vs the pros. you look like an ass when you pull **** out of your ass

the POINT, which clearly went straight over your head (and ass) is that HE HAS SHOT FTs MUCH BETTER IN THE PAST. and that's important precisely BECAUSE it's no harder to shoot a FT in college

What's next... Oh! True Shooting Percentages. Fun!
He's gone from 44.4% (abysmal) to 48.7% (really bad). He's trending upwards though. In a couple more years, he may hit average. If he can hang in the league for 10 - 15 years, he should eclipse the 75th percentile! Yea Lonzo!

i SPECIFICALLY SAID that ONE MORE SIMILAR IMPROVEMENT would make him...wait for it...

NOT A LIABILITY. that's not the same thing as average, is it? and it sure as hell doesn't take 10-15 years to get there. nor 5-6. he could do it next year. whether he will or not remains to be seen. i'm certainly not betting on it

so what about all of this are you not able to filter through your skull? i did NOT say that he would ever be an average scorer. you pulled yet another thing out of your ass. how much ya got in there?

you are a strawman. a blatant one. setting up arguments that nobody made so that you can knock them off like a 6 year old playing tee ball. and then wave to the crowd. really not much of an accomplishment. but YEA YOU!

since your attention span is so severely lacking, i'll recap the reality that i have already pointed out to you:

1) lonzo's awful FT shooting in the pros has been immensely overstated in terms of importance. firstly, if you're shooting very few FTs, you're not hurting your team much at the FT line. pretty basic concept. secondly, there's no reason to think that he won't significantly improve going forward. based not only on what he has already shown us in college, but also based on the reality that he's had very LITTLE opportunity to improve thus far. two injury plagued years (which has to do with opportunity to play in stressful situations, not his injury affecting FT shooting or an inability to practice - another mistaken narrative on your part) where he has gotten to the line very little while playing. the result: a very small sample size

2) he improved significantly (yes, from truly awful to mere bad - nobody claimed otherwise) overall in his second season. so the prevailing argument that he's hopeless offensively is also completely false, particularly when you factor in that he was OUTSTANDING offensively in college

providing his FT percentages w/o any context whatsoever is intellectually bankrupt. as is making blanket statements about his abilities based on cherry picked numbers. i am attempting to take a big picture look at what it all means going forward in terms of his value as a trade asset. nothing more, nothing less. everything i have said is completely reasonable

lonzo ball shot 48 FTs this past year. do you have any comprehension of how tiny a number that is? here are the FT attempts totals and percentages for nick anderson in three consecutive seasons:

240 69%
94 40%
199 64%

so did nick anderson become a bum all of the sudden that middle year? and then magically return from the depths of bumness the following season? or was there a sample size issue? note that he took TWICE as many FTs that year as lonzo took this past year

lonzo goes 20 for 48 this season and people throw their hands in the air because his already bad shooting numbers from the previous season fell even further. unfair. had he gone 30 for 48 (over 60%) i can guarantee fans of his would be saying "see, i told ya he'd get a lot better." they too would have been overvaluing a very limited sample size. and i would've called them out on that as well. because i'm a reasonable human being

by the way, lonzo as a freshman in HIGH SCHOOL went 61 for 75 from the line (81%). as a senior he went 104 for 130 (80%). there is very obviously a psychological issue going on here. again, no guarantee that he'll ever snap out of it (shaq didn't), but to assume that what he's shown as a pro is what we can expect going forward is foolhardy
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#295 » by the ultimates » Tue May 21, 2019 9:13 pm

Somebody tell me this, how are his free throw percentages supposed to get better WHEN HE CAN'T GET TO THE LINE? He doesn't take a lot of shots at the rim and his finishing is abysmal. The rhythm and small sample size excuse can kick rocks when he's the guy limiting his own sample size and rhythm.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant

Post#296 » by drosereturn » Tue May 21, 2019 9:28 pm

the ultimates wrote:Somebody tell me this, how are his free throw percentages supposed to get better WHEN HE CAN'T GET TO THE LINE? He doesn't take a lot of shots at the rim and his finishing is abysmal. The rhythm and small sample size excuse can kick rocks when he's the guy limiting his own sample size and rhythm.

i dont know. he was a 70% ft shooter in college and expecting him to shoot 40% in for rest of his NBA career seems pretty ridiculous.
Expecting him to shoot in the mid 60s is a reasonable assumption but I dont put too much stock into his ft percentages since he is attempting literally 1 a game. Literally doesnt matter if he shoots 20% or 90% for me as long as he can make 33-35% from 3pt range.
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,452

Post#297 » by LateNight » Tue May 21, 2019 9:33 pm

If the options are trading our pick for Lonzo Ball or spend $20 million on Rozier... I think I would be OK with just bringing back Arci and Shaq instead.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant

Post#298 » by drosereturn » Tue May 21, 2019 9:36 pm

panthermark wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:
SfBull wrote:#7 for Ball is wasting the pick.

Not that I'm a huge fan of either (especially Reddish)....but how is Ball an unfinished product compared to White and Reddish?
Ball is 21, Cam and Reddish are 19.

I might be quite biased but I have followed Ball from his UCLA days and he was A+ prospect as a freshmen, only trailing behind the overrated Fultz. If you ignore his ft %, he is literally a mid range shot away from being a top 10 pg in this league.
Players that can stuff the stat sheet (guys who can go above 10/5/5) dont grow on trees which is why players like Westbrook, Simmons are very valuable despite bad shooting. Ball is far away from that caliber, but he is a similar type of those players if you know what I mean. Him posting a 10/7/7 with nearly 1 block, 2 steal in his freshmen yr is very impressive and tells me he can be a two way player.

Reddish is a pretty underwhelming prospect that has proven literally nothing in the college level so the age argument doesnt really apply to him in this case. He would have to spend another year in college to prove it to me that hes a decent prospect to go top 10, let alone top 5.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,450

Post#299 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:41 pm

keloms wrote:
ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:LeBron and Lonzo have gotten close over the year. That plus the hiring of Jason Kidd tells me they’re probably looking to keep him. Only scenario I see is if they’re making a trade and could flip lonzo to us for the pick

So close that Kyrie is expected to be targeted in free agency by the Lakers. Lonzo is there if no better opportunity becomes available, but, on the first plane out if there's an available upgrade.

Yeah, well, you could literally say that about any situation or position. They’re also targeting Kawhi Leonard, but aren’t exactly shopping Kuzma
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#300 » by the ultimates » Tue May 21, 2019 9:46 pm

Showtime23 wrote:
the ultimates wrote:Somebody tell me this, how are his free throw percentages supposed to get better WHEN HE CAN'T GET TO THE LINE? He doesn't take a lot of shots at the rim and his finishing is abysmal. The rhythm and small sample size excuse can kick rocks when he's the guy limiting his own sample size and rhythm.

i dont know. he was a 70% ft shooter in college and expecting him to shoot 40% in for rest of his NBA career seems pretty ridiculous.
Expecting him to shoot in the mid 60s is a reasonable assumption but I dont put too much stock into his ft percentages since he is attempting literally 1 a game. Literally doesnt matter if he shoots 20% or 90% for me as long as he can make 33-35% from 3pt range.

How is his game going to change to get himself to the line for more opportunities?
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.

Return to Chicago Bulls