Image ImageImage Image

Bulls Summer League thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

wonderboy2
Analyst
And1: 1,949

Re: Bulls Summer League thread 

Post#2001 » by wonderboy2 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:11 am

Just_Bullz wrote:So the rationale is SL games are not important and every player can be given a free pass regardless of their production.

Which means fanboys will always have a reason to defend their rookie players. Awesome day.

Lol nope nobody is saying that. But what people are saying is that if a player doesn’t shoot the ball well or have a good summerleague that the player is going to be a bust like some people are already doing.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,018

Post#2002 » by Chi town » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:23 am

Mokoka>>>Hutch???

I know Hutch is rusty and Mokoka is really young. M can shoot and takes 3s and can shoot off the dribble. Hutch can still only attack downhill with a running start. Hasn’t added anything offensively.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,548

Post#2003 » by PaKii94 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:30 am

Man I was a Coby white 'hater' before the draft but some of these takes are ridiculous. I actually like Coby more after SL. He showed his playmaking is actually much further along than I thought it was. Still not starting PG worthy but definitely can see him in a 6th man role. The spacing from our shooters will help him in the NBA
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#2004 » by drosereturn » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:17 am

PaKii94 wrote:Man I was a Coby white 'hater' before the draft but some of these takes are ridiculous. I actually like Coby more after SL. He showed his playmaking is actually much further along than I thought it was. Still not starting PG worthy but definitely can see him in a 6th man role. The spacing from our shooters will help him in the NBA

Still they are gonna regret not moving down and pick NAW and someone like Clarke along with Bol for basically free.
Not saying Coby is a bust and he has starter potential but not the pg we are looking for. Rather have Ball.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
RoseTheFuture22
Veteran
And1: 404

Post#2005 » by RoseTheFuture22 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:36 am

This was Coby's best floor game maybe of all summer league he has ran the offense so well these last few games. I am starting to get slightly worried about his 3 point shot he has been short a lot but his legs have to be pretty tired.

Gafford had some nice finishes this game around the rim that were not dunks. Mokoka had some good shots in the first half and then kinda disappeared. Mulder can really shoot but not sure if he does much else
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#2006 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:39 am

Coby White has the best floor game as a pg in the SL so far.

Again, I'm not worried about his shot at all. Zero. Why? For the following reasons:

1) Great college free throw percentage
2) Compact form
3) SL basketball

I'm very encouraged by what I'm seeing from Coby. As suspected, the kid will get better with more game time. He's on par to be a full time pg starter by Xmas.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,548

Post#2007 » by PaKii94 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:51 am

Showtime23 wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:Man I was a Coby white 'hater' before the draft but some of these takes are ridiculous. I actually like Coby more after SL. He showed his playmaking is actually much further along than I thought it was. Still not starting PG worthy but definitely can see him in a 6th man role. The spacing from our shooters will help him in the NBA

Still they are gonna regret not moving down and pick NAW and someone like Clarke along with Bol for basically free.
Not saying Coby is a bust and he has starter potential but not the pg we are looking for. Rather have Ball.

Well I was all for trading down or out of this draft. It was Zion or bust for me. I don't think Bol will be the solution though. I also didn't think we were going to get an upgraded archi in satoransky. Now that we do, I don't mind white coming off the bench as a scoring combo guard
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,493

Post#2008 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:59 am

My final Coby impressions:

-Passing vision and ambition are farther along than he showed at UNC. Good signs.

-Not worried about the shooting. It’ll come or it won’t. His shooting splits at UNC weren’t so impressive that we can assume he’ll get there, but I’d be somewhat surprised if he didn’t become a 36% three point shooter at some point during his rookie contract.

- Transition play: I see the knack for finding seams, but he didn’t ram fast breaks down the defense’s throat as much as I expected. The coaching staff probably asked him to slow it down, which is fine. We’ll see if he goes full throttle during the season.

-Tools: He plays physically but isn’t strong. Hustles for loose balls but doesn’t have the length or hands to make 50/50 plays. I wonder how that’ll work alongside Zach who isn’t a playmaker in that way either. He did come up with a couple good on-ball steals, though, so maybe he does have a nose for the ball.

-Poise: Something about him inspires confidence. He just seems up for this. It’d take a lot for me to write him off, even if he has a miserable rookie season. I think he’ll will himself to become a plus player eventually, even if his skills don’t top out where he hopes.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#2009 » by RedBulls23 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:02 am

Dominater wrote:Pax had to nail this pick and is looking like an epic fail. Both N.O. guys taken after (Hayes, NAW) look better. Even at the time, I didn't like how Pax just simply followed the ESPN mocks instead of doing his due diligence on looking into all of the dozen or so prospects that were in that range. It just screamed lazy

Are you under the impression that Pax didn't scout Coby White?

Also, no this pick isn't looking like an epic fail.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Bulls Fan 23
Pro Prospect
And1: 250

Post#2010 » by Bulls Fan 23 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:03 am

MeloRoseNoah wrote:Coby White has the best floor game as a pg in the SL so far.

Again, I'm not worried about his shot at all. Zero. Why? For the following reasons:

1) Great college free throw percentage
2) Compact form
3) SL basketball

I'm very encouraged by what I'm seeing from Coby. As suspected, the kid will get better with more game time. He's on par to be a full time pg starter by Xmas.

Thank you, a voice of reason finally
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,610

Post#2011 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:09 am

Chi town wrote:Mokoka>>>Hutch???

I know Hutch is rusty and Mokoka is really young. M can shoot and takes 3s and can shoot off the dribble. Hutch can still only attack downhill with a running start. Hasn’t added anything offensively.

I'm excited about Mokoka. His draft profile had him as a defensive wing who didn't have much of a jump shot. Looks to me his jumper has potential. Like all rookies he has work to do but I'll be paying attention to his progress this year in the G-League.

Good find by Pax and co.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,410

Post#2012 » by fleet » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:18 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:My final Coby impressions:

-Passing vision and ambition are farther along than he showed at UNC. Good signs.

-Not worried about the shooting. It’ll come or it won’t. His shooting splits at UNC weren’t so impressive that we can assume he’ll get there, but I’d be somewhat surprised if he didn’t become a 36% three point shooter at some point during his rookie contract.

- Transition play: I see the knack for finding seams, but he didn’t ram fast breaks down the defense’s throat as much as I expected. The coaching staff probably asked him to slow it down, which is fine. We’ll see if he goes full throttle during the season.

-Tools: He plays physically but isn’t strong. Hustles for lose balls but doesn’t have the length or hands to make 50/50 plays. I wonder how that’ll work alongside Zach who isn’t a playmaker in that way either. He did come up with a couple good on-ball steals, though, so maybe he does have a nose for the ball.

-Poise: Something about him inspires confidence. He just seems really up for this. It’d take a lot for me to write him off, even if he has a miserable rookie season. I think he’ll will himself to become a plus player eventually, even if his skills don’t top out where he hopes.

Good take. Especially the parts about poise. His focus will make him a pro of some level. I simply don't have a clue on the upside level, other than not gonna be All NBA. Possibly an average guard, average IQ, few elite physical advantages, maybe 6th man. I wanted more than I saw perhaps.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Post#2013 » by R3AL1TY » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:41 am

I'm surprised some are downing Coby's PG play overall when it was the best thing he unexpectedly showed moreso than his shooting. He was sloppy with some passes and should have been more aggressive on a few drives, but he didn't look lost or inept out there when it comes to running the offense. He could have had even more assists if he had a better squad. It should have been a given that he wasn't automatically the starter once the FO traded for Satoransky and Boylen said Dunn is his starter.
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#2014 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:29 am

R3AL1TY wrote:I'm surprised some are downing Coby's PG play overall when it was the best thing he unexpectedly showed moreso than his shooting. He was sloppy with some passes and should have been more aggressive on a few drives, but he didn't look lost or inept out there when it comes to running the offense. He could have had even more assists if he had a better squad. It should have been a given that he wasn't automatically the starter once the FO traded for Satoransky and Boylen said Dunn is his starter.

Absolutely, the progression of his poise and pg playmaking skills from his first SL game to the latest game is tremendous.

Once the shots start falling, Bulls nation is going to be creaming all over themselves. 4-5 more made shots would give Coby the stat line of 20 pts, 8 boards, 8 assists, and 1 steal.

As suspected, Coby is a gamer. I'm very encouraged by his play so far. He doesn't exhibit the Kris Dunn stupidity or zero improvement with game time. In fact, it's the reverse. The sky is the limit for this kid.

As for people crapping on his athletic ability, it's currently above average NBA standard right now. But, it can be better with a NBA training regime as well as improved ball handling skills. Just chill, kids.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#2015 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:16 am

I think people are bashing Hutch too much as well.. He just isnt ready yet, as he was injured for a long time and just started on court training a week before summer league. He will need additional 2-3months,then we can judge better.

Coby - not impressed, not dissapointed.. Maybe my expectations werent that high on him. For sure I didnt expect to see NBA starter. Good thing about him is that he is a quick learner, soo learning curve to be better PG will be shorter I think as usual.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#2016 » by Dominator83 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:18 am

RedBulls23 wrote:
Dominater wrote:Pax had to nail this pick and is looking like an epic fail. Both N.O. guys taken after (Hayes, NAW) look better. Even at the time, I didn't like how Pax just simply followed the ESPN mocks instead of doing his due diligence on looking into all of the dozen or so prospects that were in that range. It just screamed lazy

Are you under the impression that Pax didn't scout Coby White?

Also, no this pick isn't looking like an epic fail.

Oh im sure they did scout White. But i don't think they did much homeowrk on the guys that were ranked below him. I know they had White in for a visit, but don't recall anything about them having Rui or Goga in. Rui was the guy i wanted the most. Now im not gonna pretend to know that NAW was way better than Coby, but some posters on this very board did and were screaming for Pax to take him even at #7.

I just think it was lazy to just simply take the "concensus" top 7 guy that the other 6 teams said "no thanks" to, when there was like a dozen guys in their range that were realistic #7 picks in this draft. Should've looked hard into trading down, or biting the bullet on next years 1st to jump up and get Garland. They just took the lazy route and followed the mocks. and right now, its not looking very good. As mentioned, not only is he a god awful 3pt shooter, but he didn't display any kind of elite NBA skill that separates him from the pack. Like, even for being an awful shooter, even Lonzo Ball atleast has elite passing and rebounding for the PG position, and was from day 1. White doesn;t even look good at anything, let alone elite. For every occasional great pass he makes, he throws 2-3 Jay Cutler-esque interceptions.

Too bad this isn't legal, but i wish the Bulls can just pay him his salary, and just send him back to UNC for another season. Hes very clearly not ready for the big leagues
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#2017 » by Ferulci » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:41 am

MeloRoseNoah wrote:
R3AL1TY wrote:I'm surprised some are downing Coby's PG play overall when it was the best thing he unexpectedly showed moreso than his shooting. He was sloppy with some passes and should have been more aggressive on a few drives, but he didn't look lost or inept out there when it comes to running the offense. He could have had even more assists if he had a better squad. It should have been a given that he wasn't automatically the starter once the FO traded for Satoransky and Boylen said Dunn is his starter.

Absolutely, the progression of his poise and pg playmaking skills from his first SL game to the latest game is tremendous.

Once the shots start falling, Bulls nation is going to be creaming all over themselves. 4-5 more made shots would give Coby the stat line of 20 pts, 8 boards, 8 assists, and 1 steal.

And 4 more steals and 5 more blocks and he would've completed the 5x5. But he didn't, just like he didn't made 4-5 more shots.

I understand that negative hot takes based on 19 years old playing their first pro game is ludicrous, but brushing out weaknesses to only focus on strengths is also dishonest in my opinion.
Colby White Summer League performance was bad, let's be frank. It's not the end of the world as it doesn't define how his carrer will go (as other said, players like Rose or Wall had awful SL), but there are areas for concerns that I hope the training staff will take care of.
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#2018 » by drosereturn » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:45 am

Ferulci wrote:
MeloRoseNoah wrote:

And 4 more steals and 5 more blocks and he would've completed the 5x5. But he didn't, just like he didn't made 4-5 more shots.

I understand that negative hot takes based on 19 years old playing their first pro game is ludicrous, but brushing out weaknesses to only focus on strengths is also dishonest in my opinion.
Colby White Summer League performance was bad, let's be frank. It's not the end of the world as it doesn't define how his carrer will go (as other said, players like Rose or Wall had awful SL), but there are areas for concerns that I hope the training staff will take care of.

Well can you confidently say Coby will turn out to be the better player than NAW as of now?
IMO, not just based on summer league, but NAW always had the SGA potential. Coby really needs to shoot 40% + deep to even make a case he is a top 5 player of his draft. Gafford is already looking scary as well.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#2019 » by Ferulci » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:57 am

Showtime23 wrote:
Ferulci wrote:
MeloRoseNoah wrote:

Well can you confidently say Coby will turn out to be the better player than NAW as of now?
IMO, not just based on summer league, but NAW always had the SGA potential. Coby really needs to shoot 40% + deep to even make a case he is a top 5 player of his draft. Gafford is already looking scary as well.

We can't tell who will be the better player at that point.
I was very high on SGA (wanted us to draft him last year) and very hopeful for NAW. He could become some type of scoring Shaun Livingston with potential to defend 3 positions.
My only concern about him is his athleticism, like first step or leaping ability.
NAW has the higher floor while White have the higher ceiling.
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
cjbulls
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#2020 » by cjbulls » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:37 pm

White shot 58/160 (36.25%) on NBA length threes last year at UNC.

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/05/23/2019-guard-class-pull-shot-versatility-functionality-gravity/

He also shot 80% FTs on 130 attempts.

But I’m sure the game or two that these posters watched in summer league are far more evident of Cobys shooting ability. He was just pretending to be a good shooter in college attempting 160 NBA 3s in 35 games

Return to Chicago Bulls