Image ImageImage Image

What is the 2021 plan?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Re: What is the 2021 plan? 

Post#81 » by Jeffster81 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 10:44 pm

coldfish wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:2021 plan i would assume would be Lauri, Lavine, Carter and White leading the Bulls to being Eastern Conference contenders. Hoping to land the next disgruntled superstar is how NY ended up not being a serious contender in over 20 years.

NY deciding that top players would come there just because its NY and having no patience for a rebuild is what has murdered the Knicks. The Bulls putting several years into young players, giving them some help for a playoff run with the intent of creating a team that players would want to join is almost the polar opposite of what the Knicks have done.

Concur. 2021 should NOT be about chasing superstars, it should be about continuing to build around the Lavine/Markk/WCJ/White core. By 2021, I expect the Bulls to be one the "up and coming" teams who are considered a threat to the big boys like Philly/Boston, etc. If by 2021 the Bulls can land a legit superstar, GRRRRRRREAT, but I am not holding my breath. Right now, the Bulls should be about developing the players and putting them in the best spots to succeed. I want to be pleasantly surprise the Bulls landed a superstar instead of hoping and wishing to land one.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#82 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 11:04 pm

dougthonus wrote:
He doesn't have the type of injuries that have historically created long term problems, but you never know what will happen.

Brian Windhorst and Zach Lowe mentioned teams were concerned that he would reinjured his foot, and he has missed quite a few games because of that injury the last 2 years.

It certainly depends on how good you really think Brogdon is. He's 20/6/4 per 36 minutes and regarded as a strong defender. He doesn't require the ball a lot either and can play multiple positions. To put it in local perspective, Brogdon's scoring rate is higher than Luol Deng's ever was, assist numbers and efficiency are better too with rebounding just a tick below, but not much given the positional switch.

One could of course argue that Luol Deng was a role player, and I would agree. However, roleplayer is then somewhat a loaded term when you start using it to describe guys who could make an all-star team under the right circumstances.

You could also argue that you just think Brogdon's numbers were inflated and lucky this season and aren't sustainable in the future as well though I'd say the same about MIddleton potentially, and he got 40% more money than Brogdon.

Bucks aren't tying up cap space on Middleton to just barely make the playoffs. They are doing so to not only compete for a title, but to try to convince Giannis to stay long term.

And Brogdon wasn't an allstar even in an overall weak east (as far as allstar talent is concerned) and he had his best season in the league. Bucks had a great season and in those circumstances you see guys get recognition and awards, yet he didn't get recognized for his defense or his overall play by getting selected to the allstar team.

I guess we'll see what he does next season, but again I don't think it's worth the risk for the Bulls to tie up cap space on one big long term deal when the teams ceiling as currently constructed is borderline playoff team.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#83 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:20 am

RedBulls23 wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:
Mark K wrote:
None.

But that being so, it doesn’t make the chase not worth it. And better still, the Bulls haven’t sacrificed anything to get to that point, yet the negative rhetoric around is weird and concerning to me.

Forgoing the slightest of chances of Giannis coming here because the team stupidly decided to hand out 3 or 4 years guaranteed deals is bad practice. No one can tell me otherwise.

The Bulls getting Young and Satoransky on fair value deals that can be exited out of in 2021 may have been their most well planned signings this team has made in years.

I would agree if the contracts were stupid, poor value and untradeable. However, going after high impact positive two way players is NEVER a bad idea. 2021 is two summers away from now and you can always make moves to clear space if you have quality assets. It's why teams like Golden State operate the way they do. They look at good players as assets not things that kill flexibility. I would argue that signing a really solid high impact player for high dollars can actually help your flexibility because they are assets that other team will always want. I think the idea that you are "locking yourself up" by going after a high quality asset is the defeatist way of thinking. Just my opinion.

Brogdon is also an injury away from becoming an albatross. Let's not forget that he was injured up till as soon as the middle of the playoffs. He's also not a star player.

Adding a player like that for 20+ milliona year wouldn't be as easy to move down the line. Not without giving up assets to do so.

True. But, you could say the exact same thing about any player. Hell, Zach Lavine is an injury away from being an albatross at $20M/per and he's not a star player. Same goes for Kevin Durant, although he is a star player, but he is currently nursing a ruptured achilles, so he is about as big a gamble as there is out there, but sometimes you go for it. Look at Joel Embiid. He still hasn't proven he can even stay on the floor for a season and playoffs. There is always a risk anytime you sign a player for big money. You have to look at the upside, fit and time. Hell, Ben Simmons may never get hurt but he also may never develop a jumper and if he doesn't, he is probably not worth what his contract will be if he gets the ext being talked about.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#84 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:42 am

dougthonus wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:Brogdon is also an injury away from becoming an albatross.

Giannis is an injury away from being an Albatross. KD has a torn achilles already and got 160m+.

Adding a player like that for 20+ milliona year wouldn't be as easy to move down the line. Not without giving up assets to do so.

I don't entirely disagree, but the outcome of this theory is you should never sign a player who is not a true max FA superstar or a short term / low end contract. If things go poorly anyone is a bad contract.

Max guys may have many people willing to sign at that amount and are thus likely to have additional value above the contract whereas a guy like Brogdon probably doesn't.

His contract is signed at the most anyone would consider paying. While it is over simplifying it some, if you sign a guy as the highest bidder then effectively you are betting that you are smarter than every other team able to bid.

Great points. Also, just look at the two teams that went out on a limb and signed players with no guarantees recently. OKC took the chance two years ago with PG13 and were able to re-sign him and then move him for a massive haul that sets the franchise up for a long time with picks and one of the best young players from last years draft in SGA. The Raptors are hanging a banner and won the franchise's first title ever with Kawhi. I would say they were both worth the chance. There is no way in hell the Bulls FO would ever take a chance like either of those. Not saying there would be any parallels with a deal for a Brogdon but just saying that the Bulls just wouldn't have done it for Leonard or George. They wouldn't even entertain the thought.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#85 » by RedBulls23 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:56 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:Brogdon is also an injury away from becoming an albatross.

Giannis is an injury away from being an Albatross. KD has a torn achilles already and got 160m+.

I don't entirely disagree, but the outcome of this theory is you should never sign a player who is not a true max FA superstar or a short term / low end contract. If things go poorly anyone is a bad contract.

Max guys may have many people willing to sign at that amount and are thus likely to have additional value above the contract whereas a guy like Brogdon probably doesn't.

His contract is signed at the most anyone would consider paying. While it is over simplifying it some, if you sign a guy as the highest bidder then effectively you are betting that you are smarter than every other team able to bid.

Great points. Also, just look at the two teams that went out on a limb and signed players with no guarantees recently. OKC took the chance two years ago with PG13 and were able to re-sign him and then move him for a massive haul that sets the franchise up for a long time with picks and one of the best young players from last years draft in SGA. The Raptors are hanging a banner and won the franchise's first title ever with Kawhi. I would say they were both worth the chance. There is no way in hell the Bulls FO would ever take a chance like either of those. Not saying there would be any parallels with a deal for a Brogdon but just saying that the Bulls just wouldn't have done it for Leonard or George. They wouldn't even entertain the thought.

The Bulls should definitely do it for great players. Not for role players like Brogdon.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#86 » by MrFortune3 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:31 am

The plan? Kidnap Jerry West. Agree to any terms he damn well pleases.
Bandit King
Analyst
And1: 1,145

Post#87 » by Bandit King » Sat Jul 6, 2019 12:05 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:The plan? Kidnap Jerry West. Agree to any terms he damn well pleases.

Kidnap West and dump garpax in a river.
Chicago Bulls Basketball - The Continuity
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,513

Post#88 » by panthermark » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:20 pm

Beal, AD, and Freak are probably our top "targets". I don't know how good our plan is.

With that said....I'm kinda mixed on AD....mostly because he didn't want to come here, and bailed on NO and forced his way to the Lakers. The Lakers are going to be pretty "meh". If he jumps teams again...he will start to get that "Dwight Howard" vibe (although he is better than Howard because he can hit FT's).
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#89 » by DanTown8587 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:49 am

The hope should be to sign one guy, trade a bunch of assets for a second guy, and have one or two of the current guys/2020 first as the core

The “let’s hope a star just wants to join” plan has never worked.
gf2020hotmail
Sixth Man
And1: 341

Post#90 » by gf2020hotmail » Sun Jul 7, 2019 1:40 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:True. But, you could say the exact same thing about any player. Hell, Zach Lavine is an injury away from being an albatross at $20M/per and he's not a star player.

The offer sheet the Kings signed him to offered significant injury protection, which is one of the reasons the Bulls matched it. It wouldn't be an albatross.
JDRochholz
General Manager
And1: 1,187

What is the 2021 plan? 

Post#91 » by JDRochholz » Sun Jul 7, 2019 2:33 am

Remember when it was a 2019 plan? Me too

I hope the FO actually has a plan for a superstar. Can’t keep playing it safe. But I like Beal on that list after Giannis I’d course. But i think he stays.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#92 » by Mech Engineer » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:13 am

JDRochholz wrote:Remember when it was a 2019 plan? Me too

I hope the FO actually has a plan for a superstar. Can’t keep playing it safe. But I like Beal on that list after Giannis I’d course. But i think he stays.

Beal will be gone by 2021 to some contender in a trade. Giannis will stick around because Milwaukee is at the minimum making the ECF again next year if he is healthy.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#93 » by logical_art » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:37 am

Get on our hands and knees and pray that a superstar will deem us worthy of their great magnanimity.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#94 » by WindyCityBorn » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:46 am

Start winning again so players will actually consider us. That is the ONLY thing the Bulls have control over. The team they put on the court right now.
ShadyMoney
Junior
And1: 158

Post#95 » by ShadyMoney » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:57 am

Jcool0 wrote:2021 plan i would assume would be Lauri, Lavine, Carter and White leading the Bulls to being Eastern Conference contenders. Hoping to land the next disgruntled superstar is how NY ended up not being a serious contender in over 20 years.

ASSume = making a ass of u and me.
ShadyMoney
Junior
And1: 158

Post#96 » by ShadyMoney » Sun Jul 7, 2019 7:00 am

coldfish wrote:

NY deciding that top players would come there just because its NY and having no patience for a rebuild is what has murdered the Knicks. The Bulls putting several years into young players, giving them some help for a playoff run with the intent of creating a team that players would want to join is almost the polar opposite of what the Knicks have done.

Same results , no?
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#97 » by Axolotl » Sun Jul 7, 2019 7:02 am

Axolotl wrote:Things can be fluid, and a lot can change in 2 years. There are two players on the roster that were Bulls two seasons ago.

I don't expect that much traffic - nor do I want it, because that would mean the rebuild has failed. But the Bulls have players on (mainly) sensible, movable contracts.

It's not a 2021 plan. It's a be prepared -plan.

Quoting myself for clarity here. After I posted the above, the Oklahoma City Thunder has collapsed. The Bulls are in a position where they could make an offer for Russell Westbrook.

I don't want the Bulls to go after Westbrook, but: a couple of days ago Westbrook was not leaving OKC. Now he is.

This is why I call it a be prepared -plan. Westbrook will not be the last star that more or less out of the blue becomes available. The plan is, as it should be, to be in a position to go after that star.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
Onibuh
Senior
And1: 217

Post#98 » by Onibuh » Sun Jul 7, 2019 9:24 am

There is no plan for any year as long as they can't reach 41+ wins and make the POs.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#99 » by WindyCityBorn » Sun Jul 7, 2019 10:00 am

Onibuh wrote:There is no plan for any year as long as they can't reach 41+ wins and make the POs.

How many teams make the playoffs two years into a full rebuild? If there is no massive increase in performance this upcoming season then I'll start to get concerned. We actual have a full roster of NBA players again...minus Felicio and Blakeny.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,309

Post#100 » by coldfish » Sun Jul 7, 2019 11:22 am

ShadyMoney wrote:
coldfish wrote:

Same results , no?

In general, most plans would fail to win a championship and effectively are the same results. Some have better chances of succeeding though. An MLB player that blindfolds himself and gets drunk before an at bat is less likely to get a hit than one that has prepared properly but statistically, both of them are probably going to get out.

Return to Chicago Bulls