Image ImageImage Image

Bulls sign Luke Kornet to 2 yr deal

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,171

Re: Bulls sign Luke Kornet to 2 yr deal 

Post#201 » by HomoSapien » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:23 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:
logical_art wrote:What's up with this signing? Is his team just patiently waiting for us to trade Dunn so we can sign him with capspace and then use the Room MLE on someone (Holiday?)?

Very likely. Good call.

I bet it'll be Harrison.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#202 » by MrFortune3 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:33 pm

sco wrote:
logical_art wrote:
sco wrote:What excites me the most is that we have 2 more players on the roster who will minimize Lauri's shifting over minutes at C.

I may be in the minority, but there are 48 PF minutes to be played in a game. Lauri can play all of his there. Trying to prevent him from becoming the next great white nope.

Why would playing a position where he actually has athletic advantages he can use (center) make him more likely to bust?

IMO, the C position has morphed into rim protection and rim running. The PF position has become predominantly a perimeter position, OR as the playmaker. The skillsets are very different IMO, and I think Lauri's are much better suited to PF than C. My biggest worry about him playing C (other than Lauri can't protect the rim) is that he'll bulk-up and lose the requisite speed and shooting touch to become an elite PF.

If by your comments, you don't think Lauri will be able to have an offensive advantage over PF's (which IMO is possible), I want to trade him ASAP before other teams come to that conclusion as well.

Eh, this isn't the 90's, C and PF are interchangeable and no damage will be done to Lauri by playing him at the 5.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#203 » by sco » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:01 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:
sco wrote:
logical_art wrote:
Why would playing a position where he actually has athletic advantages he can use (center) make him more likely to bust?

IMO, the C position has morphed into rim protection and rim running. The PF position has become predominantly a perimeter position, OR as the playmaker. The skillsets are very different IMO, and I think Lauri's are much better suited to PF than C. My biggest worry about him playing C (other than Lauri can't protect the rim) is that he'll bulk-up and lose the requisite speed and shooting touch to become an elite PF.

If by your comments, you don't think Lauri will be able to have an offensive advantage over PF's (which IMO is possible), I want to trade him ASAP before other teams come to that conclusion as well.

Eh, this isn't the 90's, C and PF are interchangeable and no damage will be done to Lauri by playing him at the 5.

I think the days of "power" PF's like Taj are almost over. Most PF's and SF's are becoming interchangeable IMO.
:clap:
Evil_Headband
Starter
And1: 896

Post#204 » by Evil_Headband » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:08 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:
logical_art wrote:What's up with this signing? Is his team just patiently waiting for us to trade Dunn so we can sign him with capspace and then use the Room MLE on someone (Holiday?)?

Very likely. Good call.

I bet it'll be Harrison.

Unless I'm missing something, the Bulls would be signing Kornet and Player X both for more than the minimum. If not, signing wouldn't be an issue since the room exception could be used for one player and a minimum salary addition doesn't cause cap issues.

I just don't see Harrison commanding more than the minimum. I could see them paying Holiday more, however. My guess is they've informally already agreed to have Holiday back with the contract particulars decided after the Dunn trade.
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#205 » by Axolotl » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:14 pm

sco wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:Eh, this isn't the 90's, C and PF are interchangeable and no damage will be done to Lauri by playing him at the 5.

I think the days of "power" PF's like Taj are almost over. Most PF's and SF's are becoming interchangeable IMO.

I almost wrote in another thread that Markkanen is more "forward" than PF/C. Why I didn't was because I'm not convinced his footspeed is enough on defence and his handle/dribble and playmaking enough on offence to play small forward. But I'd be inclined to have him mold his game/body more in the direction of small forward than towards center. I feel he'd have more to give as a tall finesse player than he'd have with going towards adding center-elements, which he doesn't naturally possess. He's not the guy you want as your primary paint player, on either end.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#206 » by PaKii94 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:30 pm

Axolotl wrote:
sco wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:Eh, this isn't the 90's, C and PF are interchangeable and no damage will be done to Lauri by playing him at the 5.

I almost wrote in another thread that Markkanen is more "forward" than PF/C. Why I didn't was because I'm not convinced his footspeed is enough on defence and his handle/dribble and playmaking enough on offence to play small forward. But I'd be inclined to have him mold his game/body more in the direction of small forward than towards center. I feel he'd have more to give as a tall finesse player than he'd have with going towards adding center-elements, which he doesn't naturally possess. He's not the guy you want as your primary paint player, on either end.

Yeah Lauri is closer to a forward mold than a center mold. I think his game should be modeled after a slower taller KD in the sense that KD plays like a guard with the body of a forward, Lauri could be a forward in a body of a big man
WICKED17
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#207 » by WICKED17 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:17 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:Paxson is having one hell of an offseason. This is another good signing.

LMAO!
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#208 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:16 am

Is it captain obvious to say he will probably get a start or 2 this season?
He may be the primary 5 backup as we speak so if that holds true, it probably an inevitability.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,811

Post#209 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:17 am

bearadonisdna wrote:Is it captain obvious to say he will probably get a start or 2 this season?
He may be the primary 5 backup as we speak so if that holds true, it probably an inevitability.

Without question he is likely to start a handful of games, considering that it's extremely rare for players to play all 82 games these days.
Why so serious?
sco
RealGM

Post#210 » by sco » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:24 pm

I'm not sure if Kornet or Gafford will end up being our primary back-up, but I feel good about at least one of them being serviceable and both being better than Felicio.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#211 » by PaKii94 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:01 am

Read on Twitter

Very good deal imo
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#212 » by bad knees » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:20 am

PaKii94 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Very good deal imo

Good deal. He must have been signed with part of the room MLE. This means that the trade market for Dunn has dried up (perhaps coinciding with the reports that the efforts to trade CP3 are in "park"). It also means that we have at least $2.5 M of the RMLE left to sign someone like Holiday in the event that we open up a roster spot (by trading Dunn most likely).
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#213 » by Pax for Prez » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:39 am

bad knees wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Very good deal imo

Good deal. He must have been signed with part of the room MLE. This means that the trade market for Dunn has dried up (perhaps coinciding with the reports that the efforts to trade CP3 are in "park"). It also means that we have at least $2.5 M of the RMLE left to sign someone like Holiday in the event that we open up a roster spot (by trading Dunn most likely).

Are you sure there is $2.5 M left of the RMLE ? I thought the amount was $4,760,000 per the link below:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/02/early-mid-level-bi-annual-projections-for-201920.html

Pax
bad knees
Lead Assistant

Post#214 » by bad knees » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:43 am

Pax for Prez wrote:
bad knees wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Very good deal imo

Are you sure there is $2.5 M left of the RMLE ? I thought the amount was $4,760,000 per the link below:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/02/early-mid-level-bi-annual-projections-for-201920.html

Pax

I am assuming that we are paying him $4.5 M over the two years, or about $2.25 M per season. That's how these deals are usually reported. But I guess I could be wrong.
Evil_Headband
Starter
And1: 896

Post#215 » by Evil_Headband » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:21 am

It will be interesting to see if Luke is officially signed today. Just because Shams tweeted the contract amount doesn’t mean that the delay won’t continue and a Dunn trade could still be forthcoming.

I still think they dump Dunn and sign Justin Holiday.
sco
RealGM

Post#216 » by sco » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:34 pm

I think they still have room left where they can just buy-out Blakeney and sign a vet min player, right?
bad knees
Lead Assistant

Post#217 » by bad knees » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:03 pm

sco wrote:I think they still have room left where they can just buy-out Blakeney and sign a vet min player, right?

If the Bulls buy out Blakeney, they will then have a roster spot that they can fill. Because they are over the salary cap they will have to use an exception to the salary cap in order to sign a player to fill that spot. The Bulls have available to them at least two exceptions to the salary cap to use in that circumstance. The first is the portion of the room MLE that they will have left after signing Kornet, which appears to be approximately $2.5 M. Another exception, which is always available to any team including the Bulls, is to sign a player to a contract at the amount of the vet min exception.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,048

Post#218 » by FriedRise » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:28 pm

Read on Twitter
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#219 » by Ccwatercraft » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:38 pm

FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

Its about time we wrapped this up!
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#220 » by Ccwatercraft » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:40 pm

bad knees wrote:
sco wrote:I think they still have room left where they can just buy-out Blakeney and sign a vet min player, right?

If the Bulls buy out Blakeney, they will then have a roster spot that they can fill. Because they are over the salary cap they will have to use an exception to the salary cap in order to sign a player to fill that spot. The Bulls have available to them at least two exceptions to the salary cap to use in that circumstance. The first is the portion of the room MLE that they will have left after signing Kornet, which appears to be approximately $2.5 M. Another exception, which is always available to any team including the Bulls, is to sign a player to a contract at the amount of the vet min exception.

I was curious to what they are doing to do with Blakeney, I can't see any future here even at that price, he never showed flashes of promise for more than 30 seconds during his time in the big club. Maybe that has changed but I think its time to cut him loose.

Return to Chicago Bulls