Image ImageImage Image

Around The NBA: 2019-20 Season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Re: Around The NBA: 2019-20 Season 

Post#1381 » by Ferulci » Wed Nov 6, 2019 10:52 am

So happy to see the Suns being relevant again. Rubio deserves it, and we can finally put to rest "Lavine is better than Booker" nonsense.
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,350

Post#1382 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Nov 6, 2019 3:21 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:
FriedRise wrote:
Read on Twitter

I can never understand why millionaires are always trying to find ways to cheat the system.

What's there not to understand?

It's clearly a wider spread issue than most of the public are aware of, and thus these players feel the risk vs reward of cheating the system is worth it. Put it this way, if cheating results in a 100 million contract, as opposed to a 50 million contract, then being caught to miss out on 25 games of pay from the new hefty contract would be well worth the risk.

That said, it's much more understandable when it comes to Olympians who choose to cheat, because they come from absolutely nothing, so even if they get caught cheating, they aren't losing anything because they didn't have anything to begin with. Whereas with NBA players, just being in the league as a bench player can be sufficient for most people, if you're smart with your money, but greed is a hell of a thing.

If the league really wants to stamp out drug cheaters, make it a year ban for the first offense. 3 seasons for the second. And for life on the third. This will give more pause for players losing massive chunks of change, and the risk vs rewards becomes more blurred.

They don’t want to ban everyone the league would be in shambles.

Derrick Rose called this out in 2011 when asked about it.

The reason why they do it? Everyone does it in pro sports. It is part of the game. You just have to be smart to not get caught. You don’t get filthy rich in the first place if you can’t get to this level and all your peers are doing it you are pretty much forced to.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1383 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Nov 6, 2019 3:22 pm

Ja Morant is going to hurt himself. He needs to watch what happened to Rose. He has to learn how to come down or he will hurt himself.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#1384 » by dice » Wed Nov 6, 2019 5:13 pm

Ferulci wrote:So happy to see the Suns being relevant again. Rubio deserves it, and we can finally put to rest "Lavine is better than Booker" nonsense.

i think the general feeling was that booker isn't THAT much better than lavine. and heading into the season that was true. we'll see what happens going forward
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,788

Post#1385 » by Jcool0 » Thu Nov 7, 2019 3:29 am

Ferulci wrote:So happy to see the Suns being relevant again. Rubio deserves it, and we can finally put to rest "Lavine is better than Booker" nonsense.

Only thing "nonsense" is that statement.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,788

Post#1386 » by Jcool0 » Thu Nov 7, 2019 3:57 am

:o

Read on Twitter
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#1387 » by Dresden » Thu Nov 7, 2019 5:03 am

Rui Hachimura was 0-5 tonight in 20 min.

RJ Barrett had a very typical game for him, dating back to Duke- shot the ball terribly (4-12), but got the line a bunch, had 6 Rebs and 8 assists and 2 steals and 3 turnovers and 15 pts. He can do so many things, even though he is not very efficient as a scorer, he still impacts the game.
RakimAbdulJabar
Analyst
And1: 4,180

Post#1388 » by RakimAbdulJabar » Thu Nov 7, 2019 1:01 pm

Jcool0 wrote::o

Read on Twitter

I'm no doctor and everyone deals with pain differently, but I've had both my AC joints out of place with constant bursitis (inflammation to the bursa) of both shoulders for around 8 years now.

It's painful to keep my arms up for extended periods of time, which for me means taking a few seconds break every 20 or so seconds when I'm shaving my head each morning or having to drop my hands every 15-20 seconds when I'm sparring :banghead: BUT for some reason it has never had an effect during basketball. You don't typically keep your arms up above shoulder height for long periods of time on either end so I assume he'll get some cortisone shots and be fine
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#1389 » by Ccwatercraft » Thu Nov 7, 2019 2:13 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:
I can never understand why millionaires are always trying to find ways to cheat the system.

It's clearly a wider spread issue than most of the public are aware of, and thus these players feel the risk vs reward of cheating the system is worth it. Put it this way, if cheating results in a 100 million contract, as opposed to a 50 million contract, then being caught to miss out on 25 games of pay from the new hefty contract would be well worth the risk.

That said, it's much more understandable when it comes to Olympians who choose to cheat, because they come from absolutely nothing, so even if they get caught cheating, they aren't losing anything because they didn't have anything to begin with. Whereas with NBA players, just being in the league as a bench player can be sufficient for most people, if you're smart with your money, but greed is a hell of a thing.

If the league really wants to stamp out drug cheaters, make it a year ban for the first offense. 3 seasons for the second. And for life on the third. This will give more pause for players losing massive chunks of change, and the risk vs rewards becomes more blurred.

The reason why they do it? Everyone does it in pro sports. It is part of the game. You just have to be smart to not get caught. You don’t get filthy rich in the first place if you can’t get to this level and all your peers are doing it you are pretty much forced to.

25 games seems fair, not sure if its progressive I've never looked into it.

I'm not quite sure how prevalent it is but I'm certainly not going to say its everyone, guessing its 15%?

but yes you're right the difference between a 50 mil contract and a hundred is enormous, which can impact decision making.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1390 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Nov 7, 2019 2:30 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:

25 games seems fair, not sure if its progressive I've never looked into it.

I'm not quite sure how prevalent it is but I'm certainly not going to say its everyone, guessing its 15%?

but yes you're right the difference between a 50 mil contract and a hundred is enormous, which can impact decision making.

Rose called it at 70% (he said it was a 7 out of 10) in 2011. I think personally it is less the guys going for big contracts than it is the guys just trying to make the league. G league/oversees vs NBA is huge deal. It is the same in baseball. Need the edge to get in the majors you are going to do it because even if you get one contract and suspended the financial payoff is worth it. So few people get into the NBA and we are drawing from a global pool. Most not all are going to take every advantage they can to win that lottery.

I think the problem is we also think it is Barry Bonds type use which is more of an outlier and it is more along the lines on Jerry Hairston Jr type usage, recovering from injury etc... Honestly women’s Olympic swimming teams are using PEDs sports are so competitive, all the organizations try their hardest to shield how bad the use is because it hurts their brand but it is prevalent.

Come with me to lifetime and I can point out how much usage there is just for a chance to get laid.... not even millions of dollars and a legacy.
chefo
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,386

Post#1391 » by chefo » Thu Nov 7, 2019 2:45 pm

Had a good friend of mine who played for a major football program twenty years ago, who said that virtually anybody who thought they had even a fringe chance at the NFL were juicing and the (assistant) coaches kind of knew it, but turned a bling eye because they were extremely well paid as well and that would be rocking the boat. And they juiced so that they can work out more and recover faster.

On international level / Olympic level, I remember one of the Bulgarian coaches in weight lifting waaaay back when saying something to the effect of "everybody juices, don't hate on our success just because we have better chemists & doctors". By the way, after the Wall fell, many of the former Eastern bloc sports doctors & trainers (arguably the best in the world at that time) immigrated West in the early 1990s and I think it's not coincidental that across the board you started seeing athletes starting to look much different than just 4-5 years earlier. Or maybe it is coincidental...
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,232

Post#1392 » by Dan Z » Thu Nov 7, 2019 8:38 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,356

Post#1393 » by DASMACKDOWN » Thu Nov 7, 2019 9:17 pm

I kinda feel bad for Valentine. Its not like he wasn't producing at all or didnt have a role on a team. His ankle really set him back. Only Hutch was potentially in the way, but its pretty much sealed now. I still believe in him as a spot up 3pt shouter. If Doug can still get a contract, so could Val.
The Cult of Personality
VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,025

Post#1394 » by VolumePoster » Thu Nov 7, 2019 9:39 pm

Happy to see gafford going down. He needs experience.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#1395 » by Indomitable » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:19 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:I kinda feel bad for Valentine. Its not like he wasn't producing at all or didnt have a role on a team. His ankle really set him back. Only Hutch was potentially in the way, but its pretty much sealed now. I still believe in him as a spot up 3pt shouter. If Doug can still get a contract, so could Val.

Denzel is done and he was never as athletic as Doug.
:banghead:
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#1396 » by Repeat 3-peat » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:24 am

Jimmy Butler with 30 points at the half vs the Suns.
wonderboy2
Analyst
And1: 1,949

Post#1397 » by wonderboy2 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:36 am

RakimAbdulJabar wrote:
Jcool0 wrote::o

Read on Twitter

I'm no doctor and everyone deals with pain differently, but I've had both my AC joints out of place with constant bursitis (inflammation to the bursa) of both shoulders for around 8 years now.

It's painful to keep my arms up for extended periods of time, which for me means taking a few seconds break every 20 or so seconds when I'm shaving my head each morning or having to drop my hands every 15-20 seconds when I'm sparring :banghead: BUT for some reason it has never had an effect during basketball. You don't typically keep your arms up above shoulder height for long periods of time on either end so I assume he'll get some cortisone shots and be fine

Dude you drop you hands while sparring someone? I hope you aren’t talking about boxing. Also I tore my bicep tendon and pectoral muscle which caused me to have severe shoulder pain in my other shoulder. I found that hanging from a pull up bar not only healed my bicep and pec muscle but it eliminated all of the pain in my shoulder after being in severe pain. They say hanging from a bar is excellent for your shoulder health.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#1398 » by kingkirk » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:55 am

Wonder how long it will be until we have a player as good (or better) than Jimmy Butler.

Over/under 10 years?
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#1399 » by TheStig » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:57 am

Mark K wrote:Wonder how long it will be until we have a player as good (or better) than Jimmy Butler.

Over/under 10 years?

Over

We've had our two for the last decade.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,485

Post#1400 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Fri Nov 8, 2019 5:12 am

LOL

Read on Twitter
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here: