Image ImageImage Image

Around The NBA: 2019-20 Season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,171

Re: Around The NBA: 2019-20 Season 

Post#1561 » by HomoSapien » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:44 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:I've seen Reddish a few times this year and he looks horrifyingly bad. I mean he's the guy who looks great in an open gym but just looks terrible in games. Just awful decision maker, not a good shooter even the stroke looks pretty at times. Just a terrible NBA player right now. He might only be 20 but he is a long way from being a viable player in this league.

Hell, that Cam Johnson pick everyone gave the Suns so much crap for looks a million times better.

Cam Reddish is proof of how pointless the age limit is. You dumb MFers got your season of college to scout him with, and you still took him with the 10th pick? Goddamn morons.

Not sure which is worse picking him or playing him 25 MPG and letting him shoot almost 13 FGA's per 36. He's shooting .270 and .188 from 3 pt and has a 4.1 PER and .366 TS%. Jesus. Does it get any worse than this?

GarPax were reportedly very high on him also. At least we dodged that bullet.

This was one of the more predictably bad draft picks that comes to memory. That fact that he was debated here so much is truly a head-scratcher.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#1562 » by johnnyvann840 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:46 am

HomoSapien wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:Hell, that Cam Johnson pick everyone gave the Suns so much crap for looks a million times better.

Cam Reddish is proof of how pointless the age limit is. You dumb MFers got your season of college to scout him with, and you still took him with the 10th pick? Goddamn morons.

Not sure which is worse picking him or playing him 25 MPG and letting him shoot almost 13 FGA's per 36. He's shooting .270 and .188 from 3 pt and has a 4.1 PER and .366 TS%. Jesus. Does it get any worse than this?

This was one of the more predictably bad draft picks that comes to memory. That fact that he was debated here so much is truly a head-scratcher.

Yeah, it was shocking to me how many posters here wanted him.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#1563 » by johnnyvann840 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:55 am

Wow.. I'm watching the Suns pregame right now and I just saw a commercial for the Mercury season (WNBA). They are moving to the old Veterans Memorial Coliseum. I'm not sure how much money they are putting into that old building. I used to go to Suns games there back in the 80's and early 90's before they opened what was America West Arena, now is Talking Stick Resort Arena. That building is a dump. I used to play hockey in a men's league there about 15 years ago and it was a dump then. We used to get floor seats center court there once in a while. My friend was dating Eddie Lynch's daughter and they were his seats. I got to see Michael Jordan play there many times where I was so close I could have stuck my foot out and tripped him. Anyway, I cannot believe they are having the Mercury play there. IDK, maybe they did a lot of renovations. I would hope so because the place was dilapidated a long time ago. Leaky ceilings, the players locker rooms were atrocious.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,355

Post#1564 » by DASMACKDOWN » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:03 am

I think the Spurs may finally be done. Portland finally looks like their smoke and mirrors got caught as well.
The Cult of Personality
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,811

Post#1565 » by kulaz3000 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:10 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:I think the Spurs may finally be done. Portland finally looks like their smoke and mirrors finally got caught as well.

I'm not going to count out the Spurs, they will make a move and somehow make it into the playoffs.

The Blazers on the otherhand, I'd have to agree, they look like they will miss the playoffs which is a shame because they are easy to root for.
Why so serious?
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#1566 » by johnnyvann840 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:14 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:I think the Spurs may finally be done. Portland finally looks like their smoke and mirrors finally got caught as well.

IDK Smack, I'm not counting the Spurs out yet... or Portland. The Spurs may have lost a few in a row lately, but they've been competitive. They almost beat Dallas the other night, they barely lost to Portland before that and they lost at the buzzer to ORL in their last three. Those games all could have gone either way. They lost their last 3 by a total of 13 pts. And they were 5-3 before this 6 game losing streak. Pop is so good that he could get them turned around. I've just learned not to count the Spurs out too early. We've done it so many times and then come back from the dead all of a sudden. They were 9-10 on November 25th of last year and we were saying they were done then. They won 48 games.

Portland has too good of a back court so I could see them getting hot again too.

You may be right, but I'll give it until at last January before I start declaring either team dead yet.
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#1567 » by johnnyvann840 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:17 am

kulaz3000 wrote:

I'm not going to count out the Spurs, they will make a move and somehow make it into the playoffs.

The Blazers on the otherhand, I'd have to agree, they look like they will miss the playoffs which is a shame because they are easy to root for.

Beat me to it on the Spurs. I agree. They just always seem to get it together as the season goes on. That is what good coaching will do for you.
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#1568 » by johnnyvann840 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:36 am

Suns better get it together or they are gonna get run off the floor in Sactown. They really miss Baynes in that lineup.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Post#1569 » by Dresden » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:54 am

In the POR game, Nassir Little with 11 points, 12 Rebs, 1 steal and 2 blocks, and was 5/6 from the field, and 2/2 from 3. In 22 min.

He could become a Gerald Wallace type player- athletic, plays a lot of defense, physically dominant at times. He's a project, but he could pay off down the road for POR. I wouldn't have minded taking a hard look at him with our pick.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1570 » by Dresden » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:55 am

In the POR game, NAW with another clunker- 1/6 fg, 1/4 on 3's. Him, Coby, Reddish, Garland, and the Warriors pick, Jordan Poole, all really shooting poorly thus far.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,519

Post#1571 » by dice » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:04 am

HomoSapien wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:Hell, that Cam Johnson pick everyone gave the Suns so much crap for looks a million times better.

apparently none of the "experts" could forsee how predictably bad he would be:

5 bleacherreport
7 medium.com
10 SI
6/6/8 theringer
8 sportingnews
8 nba
6 247sports
9 nbc
7 forbes
6 pippenainteasy
6 drafttek
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,086

Post#1572 » by MGB8 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:18 pm

dice wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:

5 bleacherreport
7 medium.com
10 SI
6/6/8 theringer
8 sportingnews
8 nba
6 247sports
9 nbc
7 forbes
6 pippenainteasy
6 drafttek

There really shouldn't be too many hot takes on Cam Reddish right now. After his college season, he didn't go into the draft as a player who would come in and help you immediately. He, like Nassir Little and a few others, came into the draft as a talented developmental pick.

Now, he's playing awfully, in particular incredibly bad shooting percentages (except 83% from the FT line) and head-scratching decision making (the tripple lutz in the paint being the most memorable)... but he's been decent on defense and continued to show flashes of the ball handling, passing, and yes, shooting ability that got him drafted. He's just got a long ways to go to put it together (if he ever does). Which is why he didn't go before 10. Anyway, check back on Reddish in year 3 - that will be when you'll have a better sense of whether he was a clearly foreseeable bust, or a good gamble in the late lottery on a super talented, but BBall IQ deficient, developmental player.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1573 » by Dresden » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:41 pm

MGB8 wrote:
dice wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:

5 bleacherreport
7 medium.com
10 SI
6/6/8 theringer
8 sportingnews
8 nba
6 247sports
9 nbc
7 forbes
6 pippenainteasy
6 drafttek

There really shouldn't be too many hot takes on Cam Reddish right now. After his college season, he didn't go into the draft as a player who would come in and help you immediately. He, like Nassir Little and a few others, came into the draft as a talented developmental pick.

Now, he's playing awfully, in particular incredibly bad shooting percentages (except 83% from the FT line) and head-scratching decision making (the tripple lutz in the paint being the most memorable)... but he's been decent on defense and continued to show flashes of the ball handling, passing, and yes, shooting ability that got him drafted. He's just got a long ways to go to put it together (if he ever does). Which is why he didn't go before 10. Anyway, check back on Reddish in year 3 - that will be when you'll have a better sense of whether he was a clearly foreseeable bust, or a good gamble in the late lottery on a super talented, but BBall IQ deficient, developmental player.

Yeah, it's way too early to call him a bust. He obviously needs work on the same areas he struggled with in college. He may have to go to the D League for awhile to get more experience. And he may never get better. But it's too early to know.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#1574 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:56 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:

Yeah, it was shocking to me how many posters here wanted him.

People ignore the results when these guys young and very athletic. The Paul George comparisons are hilarious and will always make me laugh.

I'm guessing he'll be Gerald Green esque.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#1575 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:02 pm

Reddish has never looked athletic.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,171

Post#1576 » by HomoSapien » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:10 pm

dice wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:

5 bleacherreport
7 medium.com
10 SI
6/6/8 theringer
8 sportingnews
8 nba
6 247sports
9 nbc
7 forbes
6 pippenainteasy
6 drafttek

Predicting if someone will be bad is different than predicting if they'd go in the lottery. Everyone knew Doug McDermott would likely go in the lottery, and a lot of those same people knew he probably wouldn't be a very good pro. Those things aren't mutually exclusive. For the record, I went back and looked at FG% over the past decade, and discovered that not a single first-round pick had ever shot as poorly as Reddish. I posted that several times in the draft threads, so I'm going to stick with it being predictable.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,355

Post#1577 » by DASMACKDOWN » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:49 pm

Didnt know where to put this put its a must view of Derrick

The Cult of Personality
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#1578 » by Mech Engineer » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:58 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
Mech Engineer wrote:
Wingy wrote:
At least Chandler “The Promise” Hutchison was well worth decreasing our odds of getting that guy.

The irritating thing is the Bulls fully know they depend on finding their superstar through the draft. It's not through trades or free agency. They know the only way they get their superstar is through the draft. They also know that the only way to get that superstar is to maximize that opportunity when you have a chance. Everyone was talking about Doncic 2 years before the draft. What difference does a 12 win team VS 20 win team make? Paxson is touted for his superior drafting skills(which in itself is a wrong assumption). When you don't maximize your best skill...you lose that opportunity to draft a star talent.

Doncic's size/skill at 20 years old is scary. But, he has a long way to go but the Mavs are surprising everyone even with Porzingis struggling to come back to his old form.

Paxson set this franchise back at least a decade by taking us out of a position to draft Luka or Young.

It's an unforgivable mistake perhaps one of his top 3 mistakes. He should know better about franchise players(he talks a lot about it) and he should know his weaknesses(trade and free agency attracting in-prime superstars). If this was Morey, it is different. Morey relies on trades to get his #1 star(s). This was a major mistake especially considering they gave up on Jimmy who is a top 10 player now.

I also think the fallback option of Lauri/Lavine being their future superstars might have contributed to the laziness of this rebuild.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,921

Post#1579 » by Wingy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:17 pm

Mech Engineer wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
Mech Engineer wrote:
The irritating thing is the Bulls fully know they depend on finding their superstar through the draft. It's not through trades or free agency. They know the only way they get their superstar is through the draft. They also know that the only way to get that superstar is to maximize that opportunity when you have a chance. Everyone was talking about Doncic 2 years before the draft. What difference does a 12 win team VS 20 win team make? Paxson is touted for his superior drafting skills(which in itself is a wrong assumption). When you don't maximize your best skill...you lose that opportunity to draft a star talent.

Doncic's size/skill at 20 years old is scary. But, he has a long way to go but the Mavs are surprising everyone even with Porzingis struggling to come back to his old form.

Paxson set this franchise back at least a decade by taking us out of a position to draft Luka or Young.

It's an unforgivable mistake perhaps one of his top 3 mistakes. He should know better about franchise players(he talks a lot about it) and he should know his weaknesses(trade and free agency attracting in-prime superstars). If this was Morey, it is different. Morey relies on trades to get his #1 star(s). This was a major mistake especially considering they gave up on Jimmy who is a top 10 player now.

I also think the fallback option of Lauri/Lavine being their future superstars might have contributed to the laziness of this rebuild.

I swear they saw a faux chance at the 8th seed playoff money, ownership got all hyped, and they all lost sight of the big picture. Pathetic.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,519

Post#1580 » by dice » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:10 am

HomoSapien wrote:
dice wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:

5 bleacherreport
7 medium.com
10 SI
6/6/8 theringer
8 sportingnews
8 nba
6 247sports
9 nbc
7 forbes
6 pippenainteasy
6 drafttek

Predicting if someone will be bad is different than predicting if they'd go in the lottery. Everyone knew Doug McDermott would likely go in the lottery, and a lot of those same people knew he probably wouldn't be a very good pro. Those things aren't mutually exclusive. For the record, I went back and looked at FG% over the past decade, and discovered that not a single first-round pick had ever shot as poorly as Reddish. I posted that several times in the draft threads, so I'm going to stick with it being predictable.

MOST mid-to-low end lottery picks don't end up becoming good pros. here are all the poor efficiency lotto picks from the past several years (freshman TS%):

53.7 barrett
53.4 muhammad
53.2 d mitchell
53.1 payne
52.9 mccollum (so.)
52.6 j brown
52.3 valentine
50.3 reddish/KCP
49.8 MCW (so.)
49.7 payton
47.8 dunn
46.9 hield

wide variety of pro outcomes on that list
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged

Return to Chicago Bulls