Image ImageImage Image

Around The NBA: 2019-20 Season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Peelboy
Starter
And1: 1,010

Re: Around The NBA: Off-Season Edition 

Post#841 » by Peelboy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:32 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

McKinnie would be awesome for this squad. Provides wing depth, can hit the 3, and comes from a system that seems to be what the Bulls aspire to in terms of ball movement. Would insure against Hutch (or make him tradeable if he comes back strong).
Peelboy
Starter
And1: 1,010

Post#842 » by Peelboy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:34 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
Ice Man wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yikes. Of course knee strains happen, but given Zion's unprecedented weight (for an NBA player of his age and height) this has to be a major concern.

oh mannnnn. This can't be good.

It's unlikely, but....Coby for ROY? If he is the sparkplug off the bench in the RS that he has been in preseason and closes games late, could happen if/when Bulls are winning a lot more than anticipated. ROY Coby, MIP Zach, DPOY Carter. You heard it here first.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,366

Post#843 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:39 pm

Feels more like just simple precaution with Zion. Understandably so. Since his shoe blew up on national TV he has been handled with kid gloves. I don't really worry about his durability yet everyone just seems overly cautious. If he wasn't who he is and an end of the bench player, he likely would be playing, no story. It is Zion though and we all love watching him.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#844 » by Indomitable » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:22 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:Feels more like just simple precaution with Zion. Understandably so. Since his shoe blew up on national TV he has been handled with kid gloves. I don't really worry about his durability yet everyone just seems overly cautious. If he wasn't who he is and an end of the bench player, he likely would be playing, no story. It is Zion though and we all love watching him.

He is missing weeks before he started a game. This is a down play and a true issue.
:banghead:
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#845 » by ZOMG » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:31 pm

GhostOfChicago wrote:Reason why If I was the Pelicans I would've kept AD. This was always a question mark about Zion due to his weight. A bright future could go dark quickly if he cant hold up. Not like what they received in return is that good.

A trio of AD/Zion/Holiday and also the use of a solid amount of cap space they could've created a team that could win now.

Last season, I wrote several times that it was very possible - even likely - some team would grow to regret taking Zion at #1. I was laughed at and told I obviously knew nothing about basketball.

We haven't played a single regular season game yet and I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Pelicans' FO meetings, with Zion nursing his first knee injury.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#846 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:33 pm

Indomitable wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:Feels more like just simple precaution with Zion. Understandably so. Since his shoe blew up on national TV he has been handled with kid gloves. I don't really worry about his durability yet everyone just seems overly cautious. If he wasn't who he is and an end of the bench player, he likely would be playing, no story. It is Zion though and we all love watching him.

He is missing weeks before he started a game. This is a down play and a true issue.

Very well could be, it like Strasburg they seem so overly cautious, and perhaps rightly so.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#847 » by MrFortune3 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:55 pm

Indomitable wrote:

They just went through Anthony Davis and his injury issues, they are gonna treat Zion like gold and they should.
If they play it right, they will have a great core who will contend for years.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#848 » by Ccwatercraft » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:58 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
Ccwatercraft wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
Meanwhile, RJ Barrett is looking like a guy who will have a 20 year career.

I wonder what kind of monster haul New Orleans could have received for the number one pick...

Did any team even attempt a serious offer?

I'm sure someone called but they were quickly dismissed. Adam Silver didn't go through all the work of rigging the lottery for a low level team to get the first pick because they were going to lose a player just to have them trade it. They did it for Cleveland with Kyrie after LBJ left so they owed NOP. Now mind you I don't really believe any of this.

You have to keep Zion though. No business mind can say no. Him on a rookie contract is better business than anything else in the NBA by a long shot.

I agree from a business and marketing standpoint you literally don't have a choice. If he really is the latest and greatest you will be forever haunted, hated, villified and other bad things.

If he ends up with an injury-riddled or short career nobody's going to hold you at fault.

but.... he would have brought in a hell of a player/pick package on top of the laker deal.
just curious how big it might have been from NY for example.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,386

Post#849 » by Hangtime84 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:03 pm

TyrusRose2425 wrote:https://ask.fm/bensimmons25

Ben Simmons' old ask.fm

Someone asked him Chicago or Miami and he picked Chicago. Also said the Bears are his favorite football team. Will the Ben Simmons thread rival Amar'e's?

Just be attractive in for the next 4 years Chicago
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#850 » by ZOMG » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:24 pm

Here's a very good video discussing the less than ideal alignment of Zion's knees I mentioned above, as well as other biomechanical weirdness in his body. The dude is simply a major injury waiting to happen.

dice
RealGM
And1: 12,537

Post#851 » by dice » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:20 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:
kodo wrote:
dice wrote:beal will be paid 30.1/8.84 = $3.4 mil per RPM win produced over next 3 seasons
lavine will be paid 19.5/3.57 = $5.5 mil per RPM win produced over next 3 seasons

additionally, beal has averaged 11 more games per season and has no major injury history

RPM is an interesting stat but not one to base contracts on. In 2018 Otto Porter & Lebron James had identical RPM. Nobody sane would say these two are close in value on a free market.

Roleplayers who do their job well can have high RPMs, as Robert Covington was much higher than Lebron that same year. Both contribute to winning, but a winning roleplayer simply doesn't get paid as much as primary scoring options that lead teams, even losing ones like Booker.

agree, rpm can be deceptive, winning teams vs tanking teams. but it identifies the studs consistently.

tanking shouldn't matter because the players on the court are still playing hard. and RPM adjusts to teammates/competition
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#852 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:40 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
Ccwatercraft wrote:
I wonder what kind of monster haul New Orleans could have received for the number one pick...

Did any team even attempt a serious offer?

I'm sure someone called but they were quickly dismissed. Adam Silver didn't go through all the work of rigging the lottery for a low level team to get the first pick because they were going to lose a player just to have them trade it. They did it for Cleveland with Kyrie after LBJ left so they owed NOP. Now mind you I don't really believe any of this.

You have to keep Zion though. No business mind can say no. Him on a rookie contract is better business than anything else in the NBA by a long shot.

I agree from a business and marketing standpoint you literally don't have a choice. If he really is the latest and greatest you will be forever haunted, hated, villified and other bad things.

If he ends up with an injury-riddled or short career nobody's going to hold you at fault.

but.... he would have brought in a hell of a player/pick package on top of the laker deal.
just curious how big it might have been from NY for example.

I think anything they wanted but they could have likely convinced AD to stay too had they really tried. They wanted full rebuild, not sure what would have made sense for the team to trade. The big names like Kawhi was on the move. Is anyone outside of him, Steph Lebron, AD worth trading for? Salaries to be matched and length of how long you can keep a player. I mean sure maybe Luka might make sense but what else is Dallas throwing in?
NDave79
Sixth Man
And1: 1,348

Post#853 » by NDave79 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:12 am

ZOMG wrote:Here's a very good video discussing the less than ideal alignment of Zion's knees I mentioned above, as well as other biomechanical weirdness in his body. The dude is simply a major injury waiting to happen.

Speaking for myself, I think I left the caveat with every post I made about Zion was 'if he can stay healthy" (I realize that is a bit cop-out as potential injury evaluation is part of the equation, but I consider that more for the medical team to decide and I've never been interested with playing doctor the way I have been interested in playing scout).

I think he has basically proven to the people that were concerned about his length or skillset, that if healthy, he is likely to be awesome.

All that said, with the recent reports and after watching that video, I would be more nervous than ever if I was involved with the Pelicans or a Pelicans fan.

I don't want to overreact to early injury stuff, but right now he is looking like the "Ultimate" boom or bust pick. The way Coby is playing (and lack of injury history) is making me feel pretty decent about the draft right now.

So thanks for sharing. It was mostly common sense, obvious stuff, but it did pinpoint some things I hadn't noticed before.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#854 » by MGB8 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:40 am

Peelboy wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

McKinnie would be awesome for this squad. Provides wing depth, can hit the 3, and comes from a system that seems to be what the Bulls aspire to in terms of ball movement. Would insure against Hutch (or make him tradeable if he comes back strong).

Agreed. Bulls have a serious hole at the reserve 3 with Hutch hurt and Val not looking good. McKinnie would be a strong move to address that.
The Force.
Head Coach
And1: 2,112

Post#855 » by The Force. » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:37 am

Silver lining for the Pels is how good Nickeil Walker has looked in preseason. If he keeps playing like this, I don't see how he's not starting by mid season.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#856 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:13 am

Peelboy wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

We should seriously consider him.. Shaq probably waived, sadly.. But this is NBA.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,452

Post#857 » by samwana » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:33 am

PrimzyBulls81 wrote:
Peelboy wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

We should seriously consider him.. Shaq probably waived, sadly.. But this is NBA.
I'd rather waive Valentine, yes he can hit an occasional three, but what else does he bring to the table?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Post#858 » by StunnerKO » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:15 pm

I told people he was worth a 2nd rounder , Simeon’s finest

https://youtu.be/mLT2gTEgHqc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,003

Post#859 » by Chi town » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:44 pm

The Force. wrote:Silver lining for the Pels is how good Nickeil Walker has looked in preseason. If he keeps playing like this, I don't see how he's not starting by mid season.

Yep. He looks like a future all star. Complete package. Higher ceiling than his cuz SGA too.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#860 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:47 pm

PrimzyBulls81 wrote:
Peelboy wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I agree.. But possibility for that is smaller

Return to Chicago Bulls