Image ImageImage Image

Around The NBA: 2019-20 Season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,568

Re: Around The NBA: Off-Season Edition 

Post#861 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Read on Twitter
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,206

Post#862 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:20 pm

GhostOfChicago wrote:
Read on Twitter

Looks like they learned to not play chicken with the their star like San Antonio did with Kawhi. For Toronto his cap hold would have been silly low but you run the risk of pissing if said player.

Looks like Cam Payne got cut. Very very very shocking.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,355

Post#863 » by DASMACKDOWN » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:38 pm

It also goes to show you, that perception just is different from reality when it comes to money around the league. Pascal Siakim literally has had one good season at 25, and got a 4year 130mil extension from the Raptors.

And us here are questioning if Lauri 22 is worth 100 mil. :roll:
The Cult of Personality
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Post#864 » by StunnerKO » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#865 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:03 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:It also goes to show you, that perception just is different from reality when it comes to money around the league. Pascal Siakim literally has had one good season at 25, and got a 4year 130mil extension from the Raptors.

Siakim turned the corner though and was key in a championship. Toronto also doesn’t have much to build around outside of him. Completely different situation. If they had the core we do they may not have been so quick. This year is really the proving ground if Siakim can maintain and continue to grow with it all on his shoulders.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#866 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:03 pm

StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Weird
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Post#867 » by Dresden » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:36 pm

GhostOfChicago wrote:
Read on Twitter

I remember way back when the Knicks signed Allan Houston to a 10 mil a year contract. He was a borderline star at the time (prob in the late 90's or early 2000's), but that contract seemed shockingly high at the time.

Now a player like Siakam, who had one good (not great) year, is getting 35 mil a year for 4 years. It just makes my head spin. What if he regresses, or isn't nearly as productive being more of the focus of team's defenses? They'll be stuck with that contract for 4 years.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,751

Post#868 » by Jeffster81 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:38 pm

That is why I hate this all or nothing contracts.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,981

Post#869 » by Chi town » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:51 pm

Long boring 3 b-ball days before we get this season started.
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,936

Post#870 » by Axl Rose » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:00 pm

StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Trying to get that 1 day retirement contract too? :lol:

Seriously he needs to teach Coby his floater. It would be the perfect addition to his game.
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#871 » by dougthonus » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:47 pm

Dresden wrote:Now a player like Siakam, who had one good (not great) year, is getting 35 mil a year for 4 years. It just makes my head spin. What if he regresses, or isn't nearly as productive being more of the focus of team's defenses? They'll be stuck with that contract for 4 years.

Siakam is one of those "late to basketball" guys, so developing late isn't really a strange thing relative to other guys who've been heavily developed and coached for much longer periods of time.

I don't think he will regress, but the question is what did you really see? An elite efficiency, mid-volume scorer, strong defender that had the benefit of playing against soft defensive coverage because he played next to the best isolation player in the league.

So you can probably count on him being a great defender and at least a good scorer. Really good shot he's worth that max, but it is certainly an open question if he can be a lead player. That said, the 25% max isn't that big of a risk for a player like him. His strengths give him a reasonable floor that is still probably around that money.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,519

Post#872 » by dice » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:24 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:It also goes to show you, that perception just is different from reality when it comes to money around the league. Pascal Siakim literally has had one good season at 25, and got a 4year 130mil extension from the Raptors.

lauri will likely never have a year as good as siakam just had. and he was 24, not 25
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#873 » by dice » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:24 am

dougthonus wrote:
Dresden wrote:Now a player like Siakam, who had one good (not great) year, is getting 35 mil a year for 4 years. It just makes my head spin. What if he regresses, or isn't nearly as productive being more of the focus of team's defenses? They'll be stuck with that contract for 4 years.

Siakam is one of those "late to basketball" guys, so developing late isn't really a strange thing relative to other guys who've been heavily developed and coached for much longer periods of time.

I don't think he will regress, but the question is what did you really see? An elite efficiency, mid-volume scorer, strong defender that had the benefit of playing against soft defensive coverage because he played next to the best isolation player in the league.

So you can probably count on him being a great defender and at least a good scorer. Really good shot he's worth that max, but it is certainly an open question if he can be a lead player. That said, the 25% max isn't that big of a risk for a player like him. His strengths give him a reasonable floor that is still probably around that money.

good passer for a big man too

anyway, i posted this in another thread, but...

RPM ranks of max players:

1 george
2 harden
3 curry
4 giannis
5 jokic
6 embiid
7 davis
9 lebron
10 lillard
11 durant
12 cp3
14 butler
17 holiday
20 kyrie
23 towns
24 siakam
29 gasol
30 conley
31 kawhi
32 griffin
35 kemba
39 porzingis
42 westbrook
43 drummond
55 middleton
56 adams
68 harris
71 whiteside
76 russell
77 beal
87 porter
89 wall (2018)
117 booker
122 hayward
166 barnes
175 klay

264 wiggins
291 wall (2019)

395 parsons

given that siakam's deal is the "mini max," it would have been surprising if this didn't happen. one can certainly question the wisdom of doing it a year early, though
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#874 » by GimmeDat » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:51 am

I've been against waiving anyone but Daquan Jeffries just got waived by the Magic and I really want him.

(or, ideally, use our spare 2 way on him)
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#875 » by Red Larrivee » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:10 pm

Dresden wrote:
GhostOfChicago wrote:
Read on Twitter

I remember way back when the Knicks signed Allan Houston to a 10 mil a year contract. He was a borderline star at the time (prob in the late 90's or early 2000's), but that contract seemed shockingly high at the time.

Now a player like Siakam, who had one good (not great) year, is getting 35 mil a year for 4 years. It just makes my head spin. What if he regresses, or isn't nearly as productive being more of the focus of team's defenses? They'll be stuck with that contract for 4 years.

Next year's free agency is pretty bare. Siakam would've easily got the max from one of the few teams with space. At least by doing it a year early, you avoid any uncertainty or drama, and keep the relationship with him good.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#876 » by sco » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:19 pm

I think they had to do it because they need a face of the franchise, but I think that Siakim may find tougher sledding this season with Leonard gone. I remember feeling similarly about Harrison Barnes on GS.
:clap:
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#877 » by dougthonus » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:40 pm

sco wrote:

I think they had to do it because they need a face of the franchise, but I think that Siakim may find tougher sledding this season with Leonard gone. I remember feeling similarly about Harrison Barnes on GS.

I think it will be tougher for Siakam for sure, but he is a very strong defender, and his TS% was 62.8 last year which means even a little regression in efficiency and he'll be pretty awesome still. Harrison Barnes never remotely had the type of season that Siakam had last year.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#878 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:42 pm

dice wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

good passer for a big man too

anyway, i posted this in another thread, but...

RPM ranks of max players:

1 george
2 harden
3 curry
4 giannis
5 jokic
6 embiid
7 davis
9 lebron
10 lillard
11 durant
12 cp3
14 butler
17 holiday
20 kyrie
23 towns
24 siakam
29 gasol
30 conley
31 kawhi
32 griffin
35 kemba
39 porzingis
42 westbrook
43 drummond
55 middleton
56 adams
68 harris
71 whiteside
76 russell
77 beal
87 porter
89 wall (2018)
117 booker
122 hayward
166 barnes
175 klay

264 wiggins
291 wall (2019)

395 parsons

given that siakam's deal is the "mini max," it would have been surprising if this didn't happen. one can certainly question the wisdom of doing it a year early, though

There is no business decision of doing it a year early. He would have had a cap hold of 7 million if they didn’t do this early, which is good business. Rumor mill was they did it early to avoid a Kawhi/San Antonio issue. The spurs worked for that low cap hold but Leonard was offended that he didn’t get paid... and we know what happened. Masai being no dumb bunny likely talked to Leonard or at least took note of what happened as he benefited from it and made a prudent cautious decision with Pascal. Thing is Siakim should still be tradable as is Lowry... they get to do the victory lap without a bad locker room etc... it definitely on paper wasn’t the smartest move but it might have been the smartest move.
dice
RealGM

Post#879 » by dice » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:51 pm

sco wrote:

harrison barnes feasted on open 3 pt looks playing with the warriors. that is not siakam's game
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,811

Post#880 » by kulaz3000 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:17 pm

dice wrote:
sco wrote:

harrison barnes feasted on open 3 pt looks playing with the warriors. that is not siakam's game

Siakam has improved as a 3 point shooter.
Why so serious?

Return to Chicago Bulls